Friendly Bible Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep my dad had a piston collapse on holiday withdrew it on the road side - we came home with 5 cylinders on a 39 Chev.
It was a way of life back then in NZ. I do not know how it is these days. More Aussie cars I expect aswell

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
3 days and 9 pages already! Slowly working my way through everyone's testimonies. Two things stand out. A. No-one is beyond hope. We all come to Him, or the rather He comes to us, wherever we are, and meets with us in the gutter. That gutter, and our love and attachment for the things that float around in it, makes absolutely no difference to God's attitude toward us. He isn't turned off, offended, dismayed, disgusted, angered or frustrated. And
B. He loves us so much that He begins to draw us out of the gutter by the hand. He doesn't leave us to our own strength, and doesn't snare and say, do it yourself. Much like Lot had to be taken by hand out of Sodom, but had to leave behind so much that He loved, even family, but knowing that to cleave to them and stay was not an option.

Distancing yourself from those things isn't always easy. Addictions, habits, attitudes, pain, trauma, disappointment, sorrow... All these things take healing, and some longer than others. Some of them we thought were essential to our own well being even. But praise God, Who has the wisdom, the power, the patience, the understanding, but most of all the love and desire to heal, and to bless each and every one of us with the righteousness of Christ and grant us by His grace a new life and a new beginning in Him.

It's been a blessing to read of how Jesus came into your lives in so many different ways, and in so many different places.

Some of you may have already read my testimony elsewhere, I won't repeat here, but here is the link...https://www.christianityboard.com/threads/your-spiritual-rebirth-story-an-event-or-a-gradual-experience.62702/post-1819471

God bless our Bible study, and thanks @Carl Emerson for the opportunity.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Something inside of me prompted me to go to Church out of the blue, that was the beginning of me seeking the Lord. That’s communication from God as a non believer. Every Saturday for a month I had that prompt - and it was something I just had to obey , didn’t understand a word that was being preached, didn’t know any of the songs ect. I came to faith about three months later While listening to a sermon on Ephesians chapter 1 !!!!!
The Lord already knows who we are, understands all our fears and weaknesses (and we all have many), so there is nothing we can tell Him about ourselves that He doesn't know. But being completely open and honest about our innermost feelings and anxieties, is the first step in healing. Surrendering our lives is the one essential step we must all take in order to grow. Sometimes, we may think we have done that, then God exposes some inner trauma or sin or attitude we didn't even recognise in ourselves. And we surrender more. It's a step by step process. From glory to glory, and because God is love, we know we can trust Him to to the very end. He will never take away anything that is to our good, nor will He ever give us anything that will hurt us.

KJV Luke 11:9-13
9 And I say unto you, Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you.
10 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
11 If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent?
12 Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, yesterday helped to make me aware of something - sometimes speaking something out makes you acknowledge it, at the moment I am reflecting on that. I felt my posts yesterday took this thread off its course. There is a time and place x
The purpose of coming together to study is that we may together be in the presence of God and come under his influence. If personal healing, self knowledge, and growth is the result of fellowship, then that is not only not off topic, but God's working and will.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I beg to differ that this Creed is remotely close to the Apostles' Creed.
The contents themselves of the creeds I won't discuss... The issue I have is the force and compulsion, from Constantine to Justinian and "converted" pagan rulers on behalf of the established church, used in order to establish the various versions of the doctrines as expressed in those creeds. On top of this was the decree that except you believe and accept as taught in creedal Christendom, you were treated as somewhat less than a heathen.

Reactions: APAK

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
An article I wrote several years ago on the Word based on the following scriptures...

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Psalm 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the
host of them by the breath of his mouth......
....9 For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.

See also...
Isaiah 40:26-29
Hebrews 1:1-3
Colossians 1:9-17.
John 1:1-3.

And the following especially...

Ephesians 1:15 ¶ Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead,
and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Ephesians 4:14 ¶ For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Ephesians 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Ephesians 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness......
.....5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Romans 1:16 ¶ For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

From the above scriptures we may ascertain a number of points.

• The same power that created all things is directed toward them that believe.
  • That power is made effective through God's word.
  • That word is both written, and personal in the form of our Saviour. It is thus a living Word.
  • It is the Word's purpose to re-create that which was lost through sin.
We can conclude therefore that the mighty creative power, that same power that established the universe with all its myriad of stars and unknown life-forms, and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them; that same power that raised Jesus from the dead; it is that very same mighty power that enables men and women of God to be over-comers.

That power is inherent in the life of God's Son, Jesus, "for all power is given unto Me". As we abide in the vine, Jesus, that very power and life force flows through the branches and bears fruit. That same power makes us new creatures. Creatures fashioned and re-created in the image of our Creator. A creature of righteousness and true holiness.

So how do we, as mere mortal sinful fallen fleshly rebellious agents of the devil, attain to such an exulted status? By being born again by the Spirit of the Living God...by abiding in Christ...by believing in His word: His promises.

The righteousness of Christ is not a coat to cover our unconfessed and unforsaken sin; it is a principle of life that transforms the character and controls the conduct. Holiness is the same as sanctification. Sanctification is complete surrender, giving oneself wholly and without reservation body, soul, and spirit to God. It is to love God without regard to self or self-interest.

See Ephesians 1:4; 1 Thess 4:7; Levit. 20:7; Heb 12:14; Eph 5:25-27; Rom 6:17-19; 1 Thess 5:23, 24 2 Cor 7:1.

The gospel is not a dead theory used by those who 'can't handle life', like a crutch. It is not just forgiveness of sin. It is not just a "get out of jail free card" that one presents to God in order to avoid the consequences of sin. The gospel is a living vital mighty creative force that changes lives. God desires that the receivers of His grace shall be living testimonies to its power.

2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

Philipians 1:9 ¶ And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;
10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ;
11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Hebrews 12:1 ¶ Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

With all that mighty, creative transforming power of God promised and at our disposal, what excuse is there for any Christian to continue in sin? What excuse for not forsaking every known habit and defect of character not in harmony with the righteousness of Christ? What possible reason, in the face of all the evidence presented, is there for believing that sin cannot be completely overcome?
Only one. The mistaken belief that the power of sin is greater than the power of God. That the power of God, the power of the same Word that created all things, must bow and relent and pay homage to and admit defeat in the face of human lust and passion. Such a belief as this, although held to by many, is entirely untenable.

Isaiah 35:8 And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein

Psalm 24:1 ¶ « A Psalm of David. » The earth is the LORD’S, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
2 For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods.
3 ¶ Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?
4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
5 He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.

1 Peter 1:13-16“Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, ‘Be holy, for I am holy.’”

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
An article I wrote several years ago on the Word based on the following scriptures...

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Psalm 33:6 By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the
host of them by the breath of his mouth......
....9 For he spake, and it was done; he commanded, and it stood fast.

See also...
Isaiah 40:26-29
Hebrews 1:1-3
Colossians 1:9-17.
John 1:1-3.

And the following especially...

Ephesians 1:15 ¶ Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,
16 Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;
17 That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him:
18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,
19 And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
20 Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead,
and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,
21 Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,
23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Ephesians 4:14 ¶ For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,
18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
20 Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,
21 Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

Ephesians 1:4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:

Ephesians 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness......
.....5:9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Romans 1:16 ¶ For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

From the above scriptures we may ascertain a number of points.

• The same power that created all things is directed toward them that believe.
  • That power is made effective through God's word.
  • That word is both written, and personal in the form of our Saviour. It is thus a living Word.
  • It is the Word's purpose to re-create that which was lost through sin.
We can conclude therefore that the mighty creative power, that same power that established the universe with all its myriad of stars and unknown life-forms, and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them; that same power that raised Jesus from the dead; it is that very same mighty power that enables men and women of God to be over-comers.

That power is inherent in the life of God's Son, Jesus, "for all power is given unto Me". As we abide in the vine, Jesus, that very power and life force flows through the branches and bears fruit. That same power makes us new creatures. Creatures fashioned and re-created in the image of our Creator. A creature of righteousness and true holiness.

So how do we, as mere mortal sinful fallen fleshly rebellious agents of the devil, attain to such an exulted status? By being born again by the Spirit of the Living God...by abiding in Christ...by believing in His word: His promises.

The righteousness of Christ is not a coat to cover our unconfessed and unforsaken sin; it is a principle of life that transforms the character and controls the conduct. Holiness is the same as sanctification. Sanctification is complete surrender, giving oneself wholly and without reservation body, soul, and spirit to God. It is to love God without regard to self or self-interest.

See Ephesians 1:4; 1 Thess 4:7; Levit. 20:7; Heb 12:14; Eph 5:25-27; Rom 6:17-19; 1 Thess 5:23, 24 2 Cor 7:1.

The gospel is not a dead theory used by those who 'can't handle life', like a crutch. It is not just forgiveness of sin. It is not just a "get out of jail free card" that one presents to God in order to avoid the consequences of sin. The gospel is a living vital mighty creative force that changes lives. God desires that the receivers of His grace shall be living testimonies to its power.

2 Peter 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

Philipians 1:9 ¶ And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;
10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ;
11 Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and praise of God.

Hebrews 12:1 ¶ Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

With all that mighty, creative transforming power of God promised and at our disposal, what excuse is there for any Christian to continue in sin? What excuse for not forsaking every known habit and defect of character not in harmony with the righteousness of Christ? What possible reason, in the face of all the evidence presented, is there for believing that sin cannot be completely overcome?
Only one. The mistaken belief that the power of sin is greater than the power of God. That the power of God, the power of the same Word that created all things, must bow and relent and pay homage to and admit defeat in the face of human lust and passion. Such a belief as this, although held to by many, is entirely untenable.

Isaiah 35:8 And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein

Psalm 24:1 ¶ « A Psalm of David. » The earth is the LORD’S, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
2 For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods.
3 ¶ Who shall ascend into the hill of the LORD? or who shall stand in his holy place?
4 He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
5 He shall receive the blessing from the LORD, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.

1 Peter 1:13-16“Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, ‘Be holy, for I am holy.’”

Yes all good.

For the sake of understanding it is good to make the important distinction between the Living Word of God and the Scripture.

Many deliver the Scripture in a wrong spirit like Satan did at the temptation. The Scripture without the Holy Spirit is potentially deceptive.

Calling the Scripture the Living Word of God is incorrect unless the Holy Spirit is inspiring the hearer.

John must have been aware of this when He said "He who has an ear to hear what the Spirit is saying to the Churches." He knew some would not be given the grace to hear by the Holy Spirit when his letters were read.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I don't know what you mean.
You said you don’t see that on thread.....no worries....that is your right to voice that opinion

I do see that on the thread....in other words your post came across to me ,like I was wrong to voice my opinion.........because you don’t see what I see.......are you with me now? we all see things differently and we all take things said by others differently....and we “ all” do it.not just me......imo.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You said you don’t see that on thread.....no worries....that is your right to voice that opinion

I do see that on the thread....in other words your post came across to me ,like I was wrong to voice my opinion.........because you don’t see what I see.......are you with me now? we all see things differently and we all take things said by others differently....and we “ all” do it.not just me......imo.
I was just enjoying the thread, I probably miss a lot because of the time difference and also because I'm not at my desk for long periods. But honestly I haven't seen what you've seen and I'm not saying you are wrong.

Reactions: APAK and Ritajanice

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What took you to the US ???
Well, I finished HS, no sign of a decent job. Dad was wanting to see one of his brothers in New Jersey US...we eventually went to the US for basically economic reasons. Jobs in NZ were getting harder to procure, long-term in the 1970s and even got worse in the 80s. The formation of the Europeans Common Market and Britain (England) parting ways to a large extent did not help either.

I'm glad we got out before all this 'caved-in.'

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The contents themselves of the creeds I won't discuss... The issue I have is the force and compulsion, from Constantine to Justinian and "converted" pagan rulers on behalf of the established church, used in order to establish the various versions of the doctrines as expressed in those creeds. On top of this was the decree that except you believe and accept as taught in creedal Christendom, you were treated as somewhat less than a heathen.
And that was not the half of it Bro.

Constantine, who ruled from 306 to 337 AD, was known for his conversion to 'Christianity' and his efforts to promote 'the faith.' However, his reign was also marked by brutal suppression of dissent and persecution of those who opposed him. He was accused of ordering the execution of his co-emperors and family members, as well as the massacre of thousands of people during the Nicaean Council.

Justinian I, who ruled from 527 to 565 AD, is often remembered for his efforts to codify Roman law and rebuild the city of Constantinople. However, his reign was also marked by brutal suppression of dissent and persecution of those who opposed him. He was accused of ordering the execution of his wife, Theodora, and his niece, Sophia, as well as the massacre of thousands of people during the Nika Riots.

Right on, you wise Kiwi you, hiding out in OZ. OZ I believe has been good to you...

Hope all is well on the home-front brother

• Love
Reactions: Brakelite

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Carl Emerson @Brakelite ...@Pearl... @Rita .. @Ritajanice .. @Azim .. @MA2444 .... @Angelina .. @Berean and others.

I though you might appreciate the kind friendly neighbourly gesture imparted to me, as he knows I used to live in NZ.

Attached is a picture of the Wanaka 'Willow' Tree, at the southern end of Lake Wanaka in the Otago region of New Zealand’s South Island.

My reformed Jew(ish) neighbor, also a real good photographer, snapped this shot whilst on holiday in New Zealand a couple of years ago. He superimposed the open door leading to the tree. He is not a Christian or Messianic Jew either, and he knows I'm one, and not of the common variety.

I guess he felt I would appreciate this photo as the symbol of the tree of life, where if one goes through this door he has eternal life, and it is by Jesus Christ of course.

I may have rubbed off on him over several years. This is hope...amen

1715006179123.jpeg

Last edited:

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Carl Emerson @Brakelite ...@Pearl... @Rita .. @Ritajanice .. @Azim .. @MA2444 .... @Angelina .. @Berean and others.

I though you might appreciate the kind friendly neighbourly gesture imparted to me, as he knows I used to live in NZ.

Attached is a picture of the Wanaka 'Willow' Tree, at the southern end of Lake Wanaka in the Otago region of New Zealand’s South Island.

My reformed Jew(ish) neighbor, also a real good photographer, snapped this shot whilst on holiday in New Zealand a couple of years ago. He superimpose the open door leading to the tree. He is not a Christian or Messianic Jew either, and he knows I'm one, and not of the common variety.

I guess he felt I would appreciate this photo as the symbol of the tree of life, where if one goes through this door he has eternal life, and it is by Jesus Christ of course.

I may have rubbed off on him over several years. This is hope...amen

View attachment 44829
What an intriguing picture, love the view though - would love to sit by the banks and just reflect xxxxxxx

• Love
Reactions: Brakelite and APAK

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What an intriguing picture, love the view though - would love to sit by the banks and just reflect xxxxxxx
Me aswell, and it's breathtaking at times when viewing the night sky above....they call the land the glorious Islands, the land of the long white cloud, Aotearoa...the Māori-language name for New Zealand.