Why did God need to rest on the seventh day after creation if he is almighty?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He didn't need to. The Sabbath rest is anthropomorphic and symbolic. Like a man, God rested to enjoy the satisfaction of his work of creation. Later, Moses used this in Exodus 20:

11 For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
God set aside the special seventh day for man.

In reality, God's work was nonstop. Jesus healed in man in John 5:

9 And at once the man was healed, and he took up his bed and walked. Now that day was the Sabbath. 10 So the Jews said to the man who had been healed, “It is the Sabbath, and it is not lawful for you to take up your bed.”
16 And this was why the Jews were persecuting Jesus, because he was doing these things on the Sabbath. 17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father is working until now, and I am working.”
In terms of anthropomorphism, God rested on the seventh day to set an example for men. In reality, God is almighty; his work with creation is nonstop.

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He didn't need to. The Sabbath rest is anthropomorphic and symbolic.
I agree with this, but... why stop there? If this bit is anthropomorphic and symbolic, can't we say the same for the rest of Genesis 1?

Later, Moses used this in Exodus 20:
Are you sure you don't mean earlier? The 10 commandments appear to be the base around which the rest sprung up. Are you sure that the anthropomorphic-and-symbolic poem in Genesis 1 wasn't written afterwards in such a way as to support the already-existing commandment?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He didn't need to. The Sabbath rest is anthropomorphic and symbolic. Like a man, God rested to enjoy the satisfaction of his work of creation. Later, Moses used this in Exodus 20:

God set aside the special seventh day for man.

In reality, God's work was nonstop. Jesus healed in man in John 5:

In terms of anthropomorphism, God rested on the seventh day to set an example for men. In reality, God is almighty; his work with creation is nonstop.
I don't see where being almighty means you don't need rest.

Jim C

Sep 5, 2023
Lynnwood
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you seen the size of the universe lately?

The fact He need only one day instead of a couple millennia is testament enough to His mighty power.

• Haha
Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God completed a major building project 14% ahead of schedule. He deserved a day off before beginning the real work of maintaining the whole shebang.

The Genesis account doesn't say if the Heavens and Earth project was completed within budget. There may be some things even God can't do. But I do believe in miracles...