Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Christianity Board Christian Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

When Our Loved One's Die, They Do Not Become Our Guardian Angels

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

HollyRock

HollyRock

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationUSA
I don't know where people get the notion that their loved one's who have passed on suddenly become their personal guardian angels. This simply is not true as Angels are a completely different class of beings than humans dead or alive. I understand that the thought brings comfort to those who are grieving, but it is not based in truth.

EVERY KNEE SHALL BOW AND EVERY TONGUE SHALL CONFESS THAT JESUS CHRIST IS LORD

aspen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few"

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,968 posts
  • Locationmy apartment
I think it is just sentimental. People sometime call other people angels too. Not sure if it is a big deal or not.
St. John says, "The light shineth in the darkness, and the darkness apprehended it not;" that is, the self-hood in its own will and working, cannot apprehend it; but in resignation the liberty of God shines in it. - Jakob Boehme

Templar81

Templar81

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationUK
I think it might also have come from mediums like John Edward

Strat

Strat

Advanced Member

• Account Disabled
  • PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

I don't know where people get the notion that their loved one's who have passed on suddenly become their personal guardian angels. This simply is not true as Angels are a completely different class of beings than humans dead or alive. I understand that the thought brings comfort to those who are grieving, but it is not based in truth.

The new religion is emotionalism

HollyRock

HollyRock

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationUSA

I think it is just sentimental. People sometime call other people angels too. Not sure if it is a big deal or not.

I think it is important to believe the truth rather than a lie. Deception is a trick of the enemy to keep us confused and God is not the author of confusion.

aspen

aspen

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,968 posts
  • Locationmy apartment
I am not sure this topic is much different than the 'do dogs have souls?' Nothing is really mentioned about either in the Bible or Christian Tradition. I do not think we will get an answer until we are fully present with God.
St. John says, "The light shineth in the darkness, and the darkness apprehended it not;" that is, the self-hood in its own will and working, cannot apprehend it; but in resignation the liberty of God shines in it. - Jakob Boehme

HollyRock

HollyRock

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationUSA

I am not sure this topic is much different than the 'do dogs have souls?' Nothing is really mentioned about either in the Bible or Christian Tradition. I do not think we will get an answer until we are fully present with God.

I respectfully disagree but as for the animals, I sure hope they will be there.

aspen

aspen

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,968 posts
  • Locationmy apartment

I respectfully disagree but as for the animals, I sure hope they will be there.

I hope they will be too.

Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • LocationJacumba, CA
I often see TV shows that talk about loved ones becoming angels when they die, and I'm pretty sure that a lot of people believe that. Shows like "Highway to Heaven" help to perpetuate that false belief. It was about a man (played by Michael Landon) who died from lung cancer from all his smoking, and he becomes an angel and was sent to earth to help people. He had powers to do all kinds of things but wasn't allowed to use them for personal gain.

People often believe that their loved ones are in heaven watching over them. I'm not sure that does any harm, but it is wrong if they're trusting in their dead loved ones rather than in Christ. Of course, in those TV shows that even mention angels, the name of Christ is never mentioned. A lot of people who don't mind you saying "God loves you", but they don't want to hear that "Jesus died for your sins." Nor do they want to hear that Jesus is the ONLY way to heaven.

Edited by Jon-Marc, 09 June 2012 - 07:27 PM.

In Christ, with His Spirit in me.

Shirley

Shirley

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio USA
Well I wonder if when people think their relative is watching over them if they could be picking up on the presence of the deceased persons guardian angel? Couldn't the Angel that watched over say my Grandma come to comfort me?

HollyRock

HollyRock

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationUSA

Well I wonder if when people think their relative is watching over them if they could be picking up on the presence of the deceased persons guardian angel? Couldn't the Angel that watched over say my Grandma come to comfort me?

I think it is more likely that your own Angel would come to comfort you but at the end of the day...it is always Jesus that we should turn to to comfort us.

Templar81

Templar81

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationUK
I was jsut wodnering if there wasany scriptural basis for a belief in guardian angels.

I know there's old wives tales about having an angel on one shoudler and a demon on the other, which used to get portrayed in cartoons a lot but I've never seen any reason to believe in such an arrangement, since if we ahd guardian angels we'd probalbly never gt hurt or do anything stupid.

Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • LocationJacumba, CA

I have no doubt that we all have our guardian angel, but that angel isn't our deceased mother or whoever as some believe.
In Christ, with His Spirit in me.

HollyRock

HollyRock

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationUSA

I have no doubt that we all have our guardian angel, but that angel isn't our deceased mother or whoever as some believe.

I so agree jon-marc

Shirley

Shirley

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio USA

I know. I just wondered though when some people think it is the deceased if it could be their angel. Some people are so convinced that it just made me wonder about it.

HollyRock

HollyRock

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • LocationUSA

I know. I just wondered though when some people think it is the deceased if it could be their angel. Some people are so convinced that it just made me wonder about it.

I think it would be your own Guardian Angel...not theirs

Templar81

Templar81

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 854 posts
  • LocationUK
Is there scripture to support Guardian Angels?

Selene

Selene

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • LocationIn my house

Is there scripture to support Guardian Angels?

Matthew 18:10 "Take heed that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that in heaven their angels always see the face of My Father who is in heaven.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users