Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Christianity Board!
Christianity Board is a thriving forum community for registered members to share, pray, and respectfully debate about the faith in Jesus Christ. We are a nondenominational Christian forum in that we welcome the diversity of Christianity and we are not attached to any one denominational group. Join today for access to posting on the forums, chatting in the shoutbox, creating a blog, private messenger, profile features and so much more. May your time here be blessed in the name of Jesus!
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

God judge's the heart

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

heavenfold

heavenfold

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
Many times I have heard this general reply when asking about upright people who have died. But they never believed in Jesus, so why would Jesus need to judge their hearts on that fact. They're sinners right? Their hearts don't matter if they don't believe.

So why say it?
Diffrent rules for different fools.

lforrest

lforrest

Advanced Member

• 1,604 posts

It's a copout, so they can avoid judging the dead.  And also a subtle warning to not judge them either because you don't know everything that is going on within them.  Who knows, they may have a deathbed confession.

But we know that the heart is wicked and from it comes evil desires, and from temptation sin.  So everyone has sinned, because it is inevitable since our hearts are wicked.  It establishes our need for atonement through Jesus Christ.

Jeremiah 17:9-10 and Luke 6:45.

heavenfold

heavenfold

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

It's a copout, so they can avoid judging the dead. And also a subtle warning to not judge them either because you don't know everything that is going on within them. Who knows, they may have a deathbed confession.

But we know that the heart is wicked and from it comes evil desires, and from temptation sin. So everyone has sinned, because it is inevitable since our hearts are wicked. It establishes our need for atonement through Jesus Christ.
Jeremiah 17:9-10 and Luke 6:45.

Do you think it might be because those people can't square the idea of the alternative (Hell)

lforrest

lforrest

Advanced Member

• 1,604 posts

Do you think it might be because those people can't square the idea of the alternative (Hell)

If they didn't believe in hell then they would instead say the person is already in heaven, as many do even if it is unlikely.  But by saying Jesus judges the heart they copout.

junobet

junobet

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Many times I have heard this general reply when asking about upright people who have died. But they never believed in Jesus, so why would Jesus need to judge their hearts on that fact. They're sinners right? Their hearts don't matter if they don't believe.

So why say it?

Maybe many supposed non-believers will be found to have had more faith than many self-proclaimed believers.

“I am the Lord who searches the heart,
    who tests the inner depths
to give to each person
    according to what he deserves,[e]
        according to the fruit of his deeds.” (Jeremiah 17:10)

18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, and a rotten tree cannot produce good fruit. 19 Every tree that doesn’t produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into a fire. 20 So by their fruit you will know them. Not everyone who keeps saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will get into the kingdom from[d] heaven, but only the person who keeps doing the will of my Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, we prophesied in your name, drove out demons in your name, and performed many miracles in your name, didn’t we?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who practice evil!’” (Matthew 7:18-23)

heavenfold

heavenfold

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Maybe many supposed non-believers will be found to have had more faith than many self-proclaimed believers.
“I am the Lord who searches the heart,
who tests the inner depths
to give to each person
according to what he deserves,[e]
according to the fruit of his deeds.” (Jeremiah 17:10)
18 A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, and a rotten tree cannot produce good fruit. 19 Every tree that doesn’t produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into a fire. 20 So by their fruit you will know them. Not everyone who keeps saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will get into the kingdom from[d] heaven, but only the person who keeps doing the will of my Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, we prophesied in your name, drove out demons in your name, and performed many miracles in your name, didn’t we?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Get away from me, you who practice evil!’” (Matthew 7:18-23)

Well, I thought if you don't accept Jesus you'd be toast.

junobet

junobet

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Well, I thought if you don't accept Jesus you'd be toast.

So in your book Gandhi is toast whereas Hitler is saved for the mere ‘merit’ of outwardly subscribing to a set of Christian doctrines about Jesus without having shown any signs of what the Bible describes as the fruits of living faith?

heavenfold

heavenfold

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

So in your book Gandhi is toast whereas Hitler is saved for the mere ‘merit’ of outwardly subscribing to a set of Christian doctrines about Jesus without having shown any signs of what the Bible describes as the fruits of living faith?

Why am I saying that in your mind?

junobet

junobet

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Why am I saying that in your mind?

It sounds like the logical conclusion to your answer to my post, doesn’t it?  That’s why I asked whether you really mean that.

I hope not, but if so, you and I agree that we have to accept Jesus to be saved, but have a rather different idea of what “accepting Jesus” means: My personal belief that  Christ preaches even to the dead aside (1 Peter 3:18-20), personally I think all good fruit stems from Christ abiding in people, because there is nothing we can do without Him (John 15:4). If somebody truly accepted Jesus,  this acceptance should transpire in that person’s thoughts and actions. So maybe – just for the sake of an   example – even unbeknownst to himself the Hindu Gandhi was dealt a bigger measure of living faith than the (nominal?) Christian Hitler was. Who knows, but God who searches our hearts? Lforrest may want to regard this as a cop-out, but I also think accepting Jesus  means to accept that it is not for us to say who’s toast and who isn’t , and that we should never stop hoping and praying for the souls of our fellowmen just as we hope and pray for ourselves when we are working out our own salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12) .  Else we run the danger of turning into the likes of the smug Pharisee Jesus describes in Luke 18:9-14.

heavenfold

heavenfold

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

It sounds like the logical conclusion to your answer to my post, doesn’t it? That’s why I asked whether you really mean that.
I hope not, but if so, you and I agree that we have to accept Jesus to be saved, but have a rather different idea of what “accepting Jesus” means: My personal belief that Christ preaches even to the dead aside (1 Peter 3:18-20), personally I think all good fruit stems from Christ abiding in people, because there is nothing we can do without Him (John 15:4). If somebody truly accepted Jesus, this acceptance should transpire in that person’s thoughts and actions. So maybe – just for the sake of an example – even unbeknownst to himself the Hindu Gandhi was dealt a bigger measure of living faith than the (nominal?) Christian Hitler was. Who knows, but God who searches our hearts? Lforrest may want to regard this as a cop-out, but I also think accepting Jesus means to accept that it is not for us to say who’s toast and who isn’t , and that we should never stop hoping and praying for the souls of our fellowmen just as we hope and pray for ourselves when we are working out our own salvation with fear and trembling (Philippians 2:12) . Else we run the danger of turning into the likes of the smug Pharisee Jesus describes in Luke 18:9-14.

I'd never turn into a Pharisees, I love prostitute's too much.

heavenfold

heavenfold

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
Take that Satan!

bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper