Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Christianity Board!
Christianity Board is a thriving forum community for registered members to share, pray, and respectfully debate about the faith in Jesus Christ. We are a nondenominational Christian forum in that we welcome the diversity of Christianity and we are not attached to any one denominational group. Join today for access to posting on the forums, chatting in the shoutbox, creating a blog, private messenger, profile features and so much more. May your time here be blessed in the name of Jesus!
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

How to stop worrying?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Josho

Josho

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Now this has gotta be one of the hardest commands in the Bible, "be anxious for nothing," "do not worry," as simple as Jesus makes it sound, it's hard for many Christians, including myself, and it can be anything from the little things to the big things, sometimes I may ask God to help me and sometimes the problem just gets worst, then i just end up worrying more, now I know that is not the way God intends us to live, does anyone on this forum manage to live a "stress-free life," if so how do you live a stress-free life? Joel Osteen for example, whether you like him or not or agree with him or not, i never see him stressed, he always has a big smile on his face, he always seems to be getting through life in a breeze, he seems to be living a life of victory everyday. How do you live a stress-free life like that? And i can imagine there's not many Christians living a stress-free life, for most of us whenever we hit a big hurdle, whenever we hit a problem, it strikes us harder than the non-Christians, and that annoys me so much.

Dcopymope

Dcopymope

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Now this has gotta be one of the hardest commands in the Bible, "be anxious for nothing," "do not worry," as simple as Jesus makes it sound, it's hard for many Christians, including myself, and it can be anything from the little things to the big things, sometimes I may ask God to help me and sometimes the problem just gets worst, then i just end up worrying more, now I know that is not the way God intends us to live, does anyone on this forum manage to live a "stress-free life," if so how do you live a stress-free life? Joel Osteen for example, whether you like him or not or agree with him or not, i never see him stressed, he always has a big smile on his face, he always seems to be getting through life in a breeze, he seems to be living a life of victory everyday. How do you live a stress-free life like that? And i can imagine there's not many Christians living a stress-free life, for most of us whenever we hit a big hurdle, whenever we hit a problem, it strikes us harder than the non-Christians, and that annoys me so much.

Joel Olsteen is the last person that should be used as an example of someone living a seemingly worry free life. Your post was good until you put his ilk into the picture. His net worth is about 40 million bucks. One guy once said on ESPN that money will not give you a peace of mind but its easy to say that with a six figure income. For someone to live a worry free life who isn't filthy rich or living off a damn good salary with no health concerns to boot, he would have to be at that point in his life where he feels like he has nothing to lose. In a sense, this is one way to define what it means to put all of your cares on the Lord, because you just stopped caring so much about your life and the life of others you may care about and decided to let the Lord handle your life like he truly wants you to.

Edited by Dcopymope, 18 March 2017 - 08:57 PM.

Josho

Josho

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Joel Olsteen is the last person that should be used as an example of someone living a seemingly worry free life. Your post was good until you put his ilk into the picture. His net worth is about 40 million bucks. One guy once said on ESPN that money will not give you a peace of mind but its easy to say that with a six figure income. For someone to live a worry free life who isn't filthy rich or living off a damn good salary with no health concerns to boot, he would have to be at that point in his life where he feels like he has nothing to lose. In a sense, this is one way to define what it means to put all of your cares on the Lord, because you just stopped caring so much about your life and the life of others you may care about and decided to let the Lord handle your life like he truly wants you to.

And do you personally live a stress free life?

Deborah_

Deborah_

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Josho, it's very hard to tell whether someone is worrying or not, just from the face they show to the public.

As you say, Joel Osteen "always seems to be getting through life in a breeze" - but "seems" is a key word here.

Even ordinary people can go smiling to church when in reality they are hurting inside. It's even more of a temptation for a 'celebrity' preacher who feels obliged to put on a 'good show' for the public.

Nobody - and I really mean nobody - lives a totally stress-free life, and we shouldn't aim to. It's what we do with the stress that determines whether it defeats us or not. "Cast all your anxiety on God because He cares for you" (I Peter 5:7) - Peter obviously expects his readers to have anxieties!

"In your hearts revere Christ as Lord." (I Peter 3:15)

https://deborahsbibl...s.wordpress.com

Dcopymope

Dcopymope

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

And do you personally live a stress free life?

Well, I can tell you that my job isn't exactly stress free, so...not exactly.

waterlilyoflife

waterlilyoflife

• Christian Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I don't like Joel Osteen. I think he is a greedy charlatan.. He preaches a "prosperity" gospel, and I've heard it said that he does not believe faith in Christ is the only way to heaven.

About worry, everybody worries, especially more so in modern times, with the busy, chaotic lifestyle, everybody rushing to their jobs and school, having children they put in daycare, school, after school activities, sports, dancing, music, art, going to church and volunteering at churches, taking care of elderly parents, everything people do these days that distracts them from spending time with Jesus Christ. The Lord wants us to pray and read our Bibles, to meditate on His word. God will ease our worries if we spend time wit him. We must be under Christ's yoke, not under Satan's yoke. I've been stressed extremely, to the point of tears, but the Lord comforts me and takes away my anxiety.

Josho

Josho

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I don't like Joel Osteen. I think he is a greedy charlatan.. He preaches a "prosperity" gospel, and I've heard it said that he does not believe faith in Christ is the only way to heaven.

About worry, everybody worries, especially more so in modern times, with the busy, chaotic lifestyle, everybody rushing to their jobs and school, having children they put in daycare, school, after school activities, sports, dancing, music, art, going to church and volunteering at churches, taking care of elderly parents, everything people do these days that distracts them from spending time with Jesus Christ. The Lord wants us to pray and read our Bibles, to meditate on His word. God will ease our worries if we spend time wit him. We must be under Christ's yoke, not under Satan's yoke. I've been stressed extremely, to the point of tears, but the Lord comforts me and takes away my anxiety.

Thanks for your input I would disagree with many about Joel Osteen tho, it's easy for us to listen to all the rumours about mega preachers, and I disagree with many of them rumors but that's another topic, to summarize it I believe God has got em to where they are today because they obeyed the voice of God, it's how Osteen got his stadium and it's how Kenneth Copeland got rich. If God told me to go buy land with a lot of gold in it, people would be opinionated about me as well as much as people are about Copeland and Osteen, and it doesn't mean I'm doing something wrong because God provided that wealth according to Essclesiates 5:19. But that's another topic. What I do wonder though if anyone here lives a stress free life, I'm sure there must be someone who lives such a life, if you go on to read about the article posted about St Francis of Assisi in the "Great Men and Women of God" thread you will find he was always happy, throughout his youth, when he was in a rich family, when he was in a dungeon he was happy, and when he lived among the poor he was happy, nothing took away his happiness, nothing troubled him, and i find that amazing, so that can be used as another example of a stress-free life, and is probably a better example, because he went through it all. 

Edited by Josho, 19 March 2017 - 10:42 PM.

lforrest

lforrest

Advanced Member

• 1,570 posts
If someone is wealthy according to Essclesiates 5:19 then by Ecclesiastes 5:12 they should also be anxious:
"The sleep of a laborer is sweet,
    whether they eat little or much,
but as for the rich, their abundance
    permits them no sleep."

Once I had mild food poisoning and it caused irrational anxiety; I didn't know what I was anxious about.  It gave me respect for the severity of the anxiety some people suffer regularly.

There are also rational anxieties, and I have seen acts of God aimed at alleviating them.  He will demonstrate that he is in control, and this is a great comfort.

Josho

Josho

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

If someone is wealthy according to Essclesiates 5:19 then by Ecclesiastes 5:12 they should also be anxious:
"The sleep of a laborer is sweet,
    whether they eat little or much,
but as for the rich, their abundance
    permits them no sleep."

Once I had mild food poisoning and it caused irrational anxiety; I didn't know what I was anxious about.  It gave me respect for the severity of the anxiety some people suffer regularly.

There are also rational anxieties, and I have seen acts of God aimed at alleviating them.  He will demonstrate that he is in control, and this is a great comfort.

But there are 2 types of wealthy people, there's the wealthy men of God, and there are the wealthy men of the world. Looking at Ecclesiates 5:12 and 5:19 together, If God has provided the wealth to a Christian for their enjoyment, if God provides a man like Copeland with a property that has an abundance of oil, is it really God's will for that wealthy man of God to be anxious and not sleep? Or is it just for the wealthy man of the world? 

But those rational anxieties, do they really have to be anxieties?

VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

I am a highly anxious person so this subject, the subject of "worry"  is one I have desperately prayed over. How can we experience a stress-free life? Anxiety, stress and worry come from fear. Fear comes from a lack of trust in God. So maybe the better question then is: has anyone been able to trust God solely and fully in every area of their life? Because that is where the real peace can be found. Hebrews 11:16 says, "But without faith it is impossible to please him..." When the disciples were on the ship in the storm and Jesus slept in full assurance and faith…maybe what scripture is showing us is not that upon waking to find the disciples in a state of panic that Christ's disappointment was that they didn’t rebuke the storm themselves, but rather, His disappointment was that the disciples lost faith in the Father's sovereign control over the storm.

There has only been one period of my life where I experienced a worry-free life. It wasn't a period when everything was going right. In fact, everything seemed to be falling apart. It was a time when I walked in the spirit, rather than in the flesh. A period where I put my trust in God rather than in myself and trusted that whatever happens…God has got it. The instant I began that same old treacherous walk of trying to manipulate and control every circumstance and area of my life…the worry and anxiety came flooding back in. Jesus said, “Be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”  The Lord's focus was on the Fathers will and not His own will. Jesus walked fully in the Spirit and not the flesh. The world,  in its state of sin and corruption, held no appeal to Him. It was us that He came for. He surrendered control to the Father. The world had no hold over Him; no possessions, no longings for fame or acknowledgement, and because of that He displayed full freedom from anxiety.  Christ did not hold tightly to this life. I believe a true anxiety free life is one where, while a person walks in the spirit rather than the flesh…Christ overcomes the strongholds over us that make us hold on so tightly. Paul amazes me. How he constantly yearned to be with Christ but, yet, at the same time yielded to staying longer for the brethren. This world...Paul had let go of this world and its charm and submitted to the spirit. I haven’t truly seen freedom from worry fully materialize in my life but I used to think it was NOT a possibly, not in this life. I now believe that all things are possible with God.  

(Matthew 11:28-30) “Come to me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

(Hebrews 4: 1-16) “Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 

And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

For he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.

For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”

Edited by VictoryinJesus, 21 March 2017 - 10:03 AM.

lforrest

lforrest

Advanced Member

• 1,570 posts

But there are 2 types of wealthy people, there's the wealthy men of God, and there are the wealthy men of the world. Looking at Ecclesiates 5:12 and 5:19 together, If God has provided the wealth to a Christian for their enjoyment, if God provides a man like Copeland with a property that has an abundance of oil, is it really God's will for that wealthy man of God to be anxious and not sleep? Or is it just for the wealthy man of the world? 

But those rational anxieties, do they really have to be anxieties?

I doubt Ecclesiastes 5:19 is speaking of extravagant wealth, but a modest amount we take for granted.  Food on the table, a roof over our heads and a few amenities to enjoy.  Consider Proverbs 6:10-11 and how these blessings can quickly be taken away.  

No, anxieties are not necessary.

Josho

Josho

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I doubt Ecclesiastes 5:19 is speaking of extravagant wealth, but a modest amount we take for granted.  Food on the table, a roof over our heads and a few amenities to enjoy.  Consider Proverbs 6:10-11 and how these blessings can quickly be taken away.  

No, anxieties are not necessary.

Well mate remember, God is a God of abundance, if Ecclesiastes 5:19 isn't speaking of the very rich men and women of God, then Abraham would have never been a blessed wealthy man with heaps, neither would have David, Solomon, Joseph, at the most they would have been middle class working people with food on the table, a roof over their heads and a few things to enjoy, now does that describe any of the people I mentioned above? It does not describe any of the above people, they were blessed out of their socks, for following God's call, and they were all very rich.

Now lets look at Ecclesiastes 5:12 and 5:19 again, if God made Abraham wealthy, is it the will of God for Abraham, David or Joseph to be anxious and not sleep?

Josho

Josho

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

I am a highly anxious person so this subject, the subject of "worry"  is one I have desperately prayed over. How can we experience a stress-free life? Anxiety, stress and worry come from fear. Fear comes from a lack of trust in God. So maybe the better question then is: has anyone been able to trust God solely and fully in every area of their life? Because that is where the real peace can be found. Hebrews 11:16 says, "But without faith it is impossible to please him..." When the disciples were on the ship in the storm and Jesus slept in full assurance and faith…maybe what scripture is showing us is not that upon waking to find the disciples in a state of panic that Christ's disappointment was that they didn’t rebuke the storm themselves, but rather, His disappointment was that the disciples lost faith in the Father's sovereign control over the storm.

There has only been one period of my life where I experienced a worry-free life. It wasn't a period when everything was going right. In fact, everything seemed to be falling apart. It was a time when I walked in the spirit, rather than in the flesh. A period where I put my trust in God rather than in myself and trusted that whatever happens…God has got it. The instant I began that same old treacherous walk of trying to manipulate and control every circumstance and area of my life…the worry and anxiety came flooding back in. Jesus said, “Be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”  The Lord's focus was on the Fathers will and not His own will. Jesus walked fully in the Spirit and not the flesh. The world,  in its state of sin and corruption, held no appeal to Him. It was us that He came for. He surrendered control to the Father. The world had no hold over Him; no possessions, no longings for fame or acknowledgement, and because of that He displayed full freedom from anxiety.  Christ did not hold tightly to this life. I believe a true anxiety free life is one where, while a person walks in the spirit rather than the flesh…Christ overcomes the strongholds over us that make us hold on so tightly. Paul amazes me. How he constantly yearned to be with Christ but, yet, at the same time yielded to staying longer for the brethren. This world...Paul had let go of this world and its charm and submitted to the spirit. I haven’t truly seen freedom from worry fully materialize in my life but I used to think it was NOT a possibly, not in this life. I now believe that all things are possible with God.  

(Matthew 11:28-30) “Come to me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

(Hebrews 4: 1-16) “Let us therefore fear, lest, a promise being left us of entering into his rest, any of you should seem to come short of it.

For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.

For we which have believed do enter into rest, as he said, As I have sworn in my wrath, if they shall enter into my rest: although the works were finished from the foundation of the world.

For he spake in a certain place of the seventh day on this wise, And God did rest the seventh day from all his works. 

And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest.

Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief:

Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.

There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.

For he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.

For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.”

Thanks for sharing, i can say yesterday and today have been good successful days of living in victory with much less worry, I guess it really does help if we rest in God more. 

lforrest

lforrest

Advanced Member

• 1,570 posts

Well mate remember, God is a God of abundance, if Ecclesiastes 5:19 isn't speaking of the very rich men and women of God, then Abraham would have never been a blessed wealthy man with heaps, neither would have David, Solomon, Joseph, at the most they would have been middle class working people with food on the table, a roof over their heads and a few things to enjoy, now does that describe any of the people I mentioned above? It does not describe any of the above people, they were blessed out of their socks, for following God's call, and they were all very rich.
Now lets look at Ecclesiastes 5:12 and 5:19 again, if God made Abraham wealthy, is it the will of God for Abraham, David or Joseph to be anxious and not sleep?

The difference between the wealth in these I assume is one wealth is attributed to God's blessings, while the other doesn't specify but it most likely is from greed IMO.

Look what happens to many people that win the lottery, they end up broke or die from a drug overdose. Most people can't handle wealth, for them money is a big weakness.

If money is a weakness for a believer do you think God would tempt them with it? I do not think so, he said he would not let us be tempted more than we can handle. And God does not tempt any man. But for some they are entrusted with wealth, because they can handle it. They can handle it because they recognize everything they have is a gift from God, they can't take it with them, there are more important things than this world, etc...

So if what I say is true you should see that people who love money will never have enough. And those that are less attached to money will have what they need to live well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users