Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Christianity Board!
Christianity Board is a thriving forum community for registered members to share, pray, and respectfully debate about the faith in Jesus Christ. We are a nondenominational Christian forum in that we welcome the diversity of Christianity and we are not attached to any one denominational group. Join today for access to posting on the forums, chatting in the shoutbox, creating a blog, private messenger, profile features and so much more. May your time here be blessed in the name of Jesus!
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Why did the Apostles Peter and Paul believe in a visionary Jesus, not a historical Jesus?

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Smitty

Smitty

• Christian Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Remember the Gospels were written AFTER Paul's letters.

New Testament article on Encyclopedia Britannica: "The books are not arranged chronologically in the New Testament. The Epistles of Paul, for example, which address the immediate problems of local churches shortly after Christ's death, are considered to be the earliest texts."

Paul's letters indicate that both Peter and himself only knew Jesus from VISIONS and a "pesher" reading of the Septuagint such as Isaiah 52-53, Daniel 9, Zechariah 3 and 6 etc.

Edited by Smitty, 18 March 2017 - 09:07 PM.

mjrhealth

mjrhealth

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,371 posts

Are they not one and teh same???  You have to remember Saul / PAu; came into teh picture afterwards, His  "revelation" of Jesus is what Peter had

Mat_16:17  And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

This is how we are supposed to walk with Jesus today and as it says

Joh 20:29  Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

and Paul

1Co 2:2  For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

Teh only way he could know Jesus is by revelation, and that is what He got. One is the Jesus that walkesd this earth the other is the risen Jesus, same man just further along the journey.

The words that I SPEAK they are spirit and they are life. You search the scriptures, reading them thinking they bring you life, and they testify of Me yet you wont come to me so that you can have eternal life.

Deborah_

Deborah_

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Did they believe only in a "visionary Jesus"? How do you come to that conclusion?

Peter had spent much time with the "historical" Jesus, as the gospels tell us (even though they were written down later).

Paul was converted only a year or two after Jesus' death and may well have seen Him 'in the flesh'.

"In your hearts revere Christ as Lord." (I Peter 3:15)

https://deborahsbibl...s.wordpress.com

kepha31

kepha31

Advanced Member

• Christian Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Peter spent 3 years with Jesus so there is nothing"historical" about it.

Paul saw Jesus in 2 visions we know of so I don't count that as "historical" either.

Historicity is a science used by higher critics that dismisses most of the Bible as fiction.

They are modernist heretics and have infected some Ivy League universities.

car·i·ca·ture
description of Church teaching which certain striking characteristics are exaggerated in order to create a comic or grotesque effect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users