“...and with his stripes we are healed.”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isaiah 53:5
[5] But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

“...and with his stripes we are healed.” Consider first: “the chastisement of our peace was upon him.”

Hebrews 12:8-10 says “But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. [9] Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us , and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live? [10] For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.

“...and with his stripes we are healed.”

Galatians 6:17
[17] From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks of the Lord Jesus.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Isaiah 53:5
[5] But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

How are we healed with His stripes?

On a human level: We become ashamed of what we are capable of...our cruelty...our lack of compassion and understanding of love. Our horrible and ugly self-preservation. We say ENOUGH!

On a spiritual level: The Hebrew says IN His wounds. We carry the dying of Jesus inwardly so that His life is made manifest through us outwardly.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"the chastisement of our peace was upon him"

We were looking for our own peace. But by doing that we opposed the will of God and HIS peace. We missed the perfect because who thought we were doing the good...and what was good for us. So then we wanted peace on OUR own terms. But God is wise and used our self-interest to further His kingdom...in spite of sinful men.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"he was bruised for our iniquities"

It was the religious men that hated Him so. We must be careful to not harbour iniquity in ourselves. This still "bruises" Him in that the Spirit is grieved when we turn religious and cease to look for Him in a living way. Religion seeks to kill what is Living.

2 Tim. 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God stands sure, having this seal, The Lord knows them that are his. And, let every one that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On a spiritual level: The Hebrew says IN His wounds. We carry the dying of Jesus inwardly so that His life is made manifest through us outwardly.

Agree with all you have shared except here, there is a pause: Do you not carry the dying of Jesus outwardly that His life and peace (strengthened inwardly) is made manifest before men as light? 2 Corinthians 4:16-17 [16] For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. [17] For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

Last edited:

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"he was bruised for our iniquities"

It was the religious men that hated Him so. We must be careful to not harbour iniquity in ourselves. This still "bruises" Him in that the Spirit is grieved when we turn religious and cease to look for Him in a living way. Religion seeks to kill what is Living.

2 Tim. 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God stands sure, having this seal, The Lord knows them that are his. And, let every one that names the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
Amen. Clicking "Like" is so inadequate when you want to say "I want the Lord to know me!"
Thou hast loved righteousness and hated iniquity...Hebrew 1:9

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Agree with all you have shared except here, there is a pause: Do you not carry the dying of Jesus outwardly that His life and peace (strengthened inwardly) is made manifest before men as light? 2 Corinthians 4:16-17 [16] For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day. [17] For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;

Spiritual is inward. But we do put on Christ...although that is still inward. His stripes, of the spiritual kind, are invisible. If they were visible they would be OUR stripes, wouldn't they?

I'm not saying that stripes received outwardly for His sake are not also His stripes. But how many of us are beaten outwardly for our testimony of Christ? Nowadays it is indifference and muted hostility that greets us. The day will come when that aggression will once again be made manifest against they who are the Lord's.

Gal. 6:17 Henceforth, let no one give to me troubles, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus.

Last edited:
Reactions: faithfulness

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spiritual is inward. But we do put on Christ...although that is still inward. His stripes, of the spiritual kind, are invisible. If they were visible they would be OUR stripes, wouldn't they?

I'm not saying that stripes received outwardly for His sake are not also His stripes. But how many of us are beaten outwardly for our testimony of Christ? Nowadays it is indifference and muted hostility that greets us. The day will come when that aggression will once again be made manifest against they who are the Lord's.

Gal. 6:17 Henceforth, let no one give to me troubles, for I bear on my body the marks of Jesus.

I’m still struggling here. In no way am I assuming you don’t see clearly, but ask your help in sight. You said “If they were visible they would be OUR stripes, wouldn't they?” The chastisement of our peace was upon Him...making us sons. If the flesh is dead...why would it be our stripes? It is the hope set before others that they see and inquire of. It is the love and the intreat where the inward spirit fully displays light before men in the physical that we are in submission to God as sons.The crucifixion...what men did to Him and there was no guile found in His mouth, to me light broke forth by His stripes. (Which we bear in marks.) again, not disputing but trying to understand. Has not the bondservant(our flesh held under bondage and death) now been reconciled to the Father? Ephesians 2:15
[15] Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

I’m sorry I don’t mean to be difficult. When Paul said He bears the marks of Jesus Christ ... consider 2 Corinthians 5:16-17 [16] Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. [17] Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"VictoryinJesus, post: 433628, member: 7369"]I’m still struggling here. In no way am I assuming you don’t see clearly, but ask your help in sight. You said “If they were visible they would be OUR stripes, wouldn't they?” The chastisement of our peace was upon Him...making us sons. If the flesh is dead...why would it be our stripes?

We are alive in the flesh...but we don't (or are not to) live according to the flesh. IOW we see with this present life out of focus....so as to see farther...more aware of spiritual things. Our flesh NATURE is dead. We have taken on a new nature. The nature that cries out to God as our Father.

There is a point to what you say...about His stripes...but I was just making a distinction between what is visible and what is invisible.

It is the hope set before others that they see and inquire of. It is the love and the intreat where the inward spirit fully displays light before men in the physical that we are in submission to God as sons.The crucifixion...what men did to Him and there was no guile found in His mouth, to me light broke forth by His stripes. (Which we bear in marks.) again, not disputing but trying to understand. Has not the bondservant(our flesh held under bondage and death) now been reconciled to the Father? Ephesians 2:15
[15] Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

This refers to the common humanity of all the sons of men and that Jesus died for all ...whether Jew of Greek, slave or free, male or female. We each have our own cross to bear. Our bodies are His temple....a temple made without hands. We are made vessels of His holiness. But we are to carry in this mortal body His death...(if we seek this)...His crucifixion....in order that His resurrection life might also be lived out in us. IOW...we are to walk in His power (grace). The cost of walking as He walked is to be crucified to this world.

I’m sorry I don’t mean to be difficult. When Paul said He bears the marks of Jesus Christ ... consider 2 Corinthians 5:16-17 [16] Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. [17] Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Amen! Paul bore the marks of Jesus meaning that the reproaches of Christ fell on him...just as they fell on Jesus.

Ps. 22: 6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

or again...

Rom. 15:3 For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached You fell on me.

Peace to you sister...

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
There are some who wish to apply this Scripture primarily to physical healing from sickness, disease, and disability. But it has a double application, and the primary application is to the cleansing and healing of our souls.

The "stripes" of Christ (received when He was scourged, when He gave His back to the smiters) represent His precious blood, which was actually poured out for our salvation from His head, His hands, His feet, His side (as well as His back).

1. Matthew -- by divine inspiration -- applies this to the healing ministry of Christ while on earth: When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses. (Mt 8:16,17)

2. But Peter applies this to the redemption of our souls. Christ paid the penalty (chastisement) for our sins, transgressions, and iniquities when the LORD laid upon Him the iniquity of us all.

Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things,as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. (1 Pet 1:18-21).

Physical healing is NOT guaranteed to Christians, but the redemption of the soul is guaranteed to those who repent and believe on Christ, followed by the immortality and glorification of the body at the Resurrection/Rapture.

Reactions: Truth

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "stripes" of Christ (received when He was scourged, when He gave His back to the smiters)

“Scourge” that is a strong word.

Greek:
μαστιγόω
Transliteration: mastigoō
Pronunciation: mas-tig-o'-o
Definition: From G3148; to flog (literally or figuratively): - scourge.

Hebrews 12:6-8
[6] For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth. [7] If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not? [8] But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

Reactions: faithfulness

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"VictoryinJesus, post: 433628, member: 7369"]I’m still struggling here. In no way am I assuming you don’t see clearly, but ask your help in sight. You said “If they were visible they would be OUR stripes, wouldn't they?” The chastisement of our peace was upon Him...making us sons. If the flesh is dead...why would it be our stripes?

We are alive in the flesh...but we don't (or are not to) live according to the flesh. IOW we see with this present life out of focus....so as to see farther...more aware of spiritual things. Our flesh NATURE is dead. We have taken on a new nature. The nature that cries out to God as our Father.

There is a point to what you say...about His stripes...but I was just making a distinction between what is visible and what is invisible.

It is the hope set before others that they see and inquire of. It is the love and the intreat where the inward spirit fully displays light before men in the physical that we are in submission to God as sons.The crucifixion...what men did to Him and there was no guile found in His mouth, to me light broke forth by His stripes. (Which we bear in marks.) again, not disputing but trying to understand. Has not the bondservant(our flesh held under bondage and death) now been reconciled to the Father? Ephesians 2:15

This refers to the common humanity of all the sons of men and that Jesus died for all ...whether Jew of Greek, slave or free, male or female. We each have our own cross to bear. Our bodies are His temple....a temple made without hands. We are made vessels of His holiness. But we are to carry in this mortal body His death...(if we seek this)...His crucifixion....in order that His resurrection life might also be lived out in us. IOW...we are to walk in His power (grace). The cost of walking as He walked is to be crucified to this world.

Amen! Paul bore the marks of Jesus meaning that the reproaches of Christ fell on him...just as they fell on Jesus.

Ps. 22: 6 But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

or again...

Rom. 15:3 For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached You fell on me.

Peace to you sister...

Agree. Thank you for your response and time. Still slightly confused but will continue to pray over it. Since we are in Christ who is the Ark and any chastisement, scourging, or reproach we bear: He is glorified.

1 Peter 4:14
[14] If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye ; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified.

“...he is glorified.”

2 Thessalonians 1:10
[10] When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

Interesting: Revelation 18:4-7
[4] And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues. [5] For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities. [6] Reward her even as she rewarded you, and double unto her double according to her works: in the cup which she hath filled fill to her double. [7] How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.