“About The Great Tribulation”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.” Matthew 24:21.

As we begin to discuss about the great tribulation, it is important we first understand the meaning of the keyword ‘tribulation’ as used in the opening text…

The word translated as ‘tribulation’ in the opening text, is from the Greek word ‘thlipsis’, meaning—pressure. It means pressure—either literally or figuratively. Other synonyms of the word tribulation as translated in the New Testament are: affliction, anguish, burden, persecution, and trouble.

All through the ages, since the fall of Adam and Eve, mankind has faced several kinds of tribulation and disaster. Some God-made—by his sovereign ideal; some man-made; and some others, devils’-made…

Even Israel—the chosen nation of God—also went through tribulations from God as a result of their evil deeds. Then the Church of Christ, since her emergence after the death, resurrection and ascension of Christ, has also suffered tribulations, especially in the form of persecution from non-believers.

But concerning the great tribulation, the Lord tells us in his own words that the great tribulation is a special kind of tribulation. That has never been experienced since the beginning of the world till the time he was speaking…

And that the great tribulation will not have its kind after it. Many Christian theologians are divided on their understanding and explanation of the great tribulation as mentioned by the Lord. Especially concerning its features and timing. So in this article, we want to see exactly what the scriptures say concerning the great tribulation.

The Features of the Great Tribulation

Having already known the meaning of the word ‘tribulation’, the great tribulation can therefore be explained as a period of great and unusual affliction. On the entire world and its inhabitants. And the major features of the great tribulation from scriptures are as follows:

1) A Period of Great Deception: “For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect”—Matthew 24:24. A major feature of the great tribulation is an unusual emergence of deception.

Which will be masterminded by the anti-Christ and his false prophet (see 2 Thessallonians2:9-11; Revelation 13:13-15) the bible says the deceptions at the great tribulation will be so strong that if it were possible, the very elect of God shall also be deceived.

2) A Period of Great Persecution of the Saints: “And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues and nations”—Revelation 13:7 (see also Daniel 8:24).

Another prominent feature of the great tribulation is an unusual persecution of the Church. Yes, the church and saints of God of all ages have been persecuted and even martyred in large scale. But the persecution of the saints at the great tribulation will be far greater.

The world will be subjected to many kinds of idolatry and rituals of which anyone that fails to follow suit, will be killed or ostracised (see Revelation 13:12, 14-15).

3) A Period of God’s Wrath: The final stage of the great tribulation is a period of unusual disaster from God (Revelation 16:1-14). And this last phase of the great tribulation will happen after the rapture of the Church at the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The bible says the true believers will not partake of God’s wrath (1 Thessalonians 5:9).

To better understand this fact, the words of our Lord Jesus give us an eye-opener. Here are his exact words: “But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered the ark; and knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.”—Matthew 24:37-39.

So amidst the great tribulation, Christ will come and rapture his church and after that, the remaining inhabitants of the earth will face the wrath of God as it was in the days of Noah.

Admonishment to the Church Concerning the Great Tribulation

With the above three features of the great tribulation, it is very clear that the saints or believers will partake of the great tribulation. Especially the periods of great deception and persecution. But the believers will not partake of the last phase of the great tribulation which is the wrath of God or the judgement of God.

However, concerning the great tribulation, the Lord admonishes the believers thus:

“Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man”—Luke 21:36.

From the above scripture, the Lord admonishes us concerning the great tribulation to be watchful and prayerful always. So we may be accounted worthy of escaping the things that shall come to pass at the great tribulation so that in the end, we will be able to stand before him—the Son of man.

Escape as used in the above scripture, can take either of two forms… Either escaping through death or martyr; or escaping through the rapture at the second coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Those who do not escape the great tribulation will be taken in the tribulation. Either they are taken by the great deception or are taken by the great persecution through personal subjection…

And that is why the Lord admonishes us to be watchful and prayerful always. Because it’s only through these two spiritual tools we would be able to escape the great deception and persecution of the end-time at the great tribulation…

And finally be able to stand before our Lord and saviour Jesus Christ in paradise forever.

Remain Blessed!

Emeke Odili

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So Brother,

You believe the great tribulation has already happened?
"THE" Great Tribulation???? Did Jesus say that? That is "an event" (like "The Rapture") that we have invented from some words He used. He never spoke of THE Great Tribulation.

Reactions: Helen

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
"THE" Great Tribulation???? Did Jesus say that? That is "an event" (like "The Rapture") that we have invented from some words He used. He never spoke of THE Great Tribulation.

'THE Great Tribulation" is not the issue here. But the features as explained by Jesus and the following events.

Do you mean 'great tribulation' such as never seen before or never shall ever be has already taken place?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
He did.

καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ, Κύριέ, σὺ οἶδας. καὶ εἶπέ μοι, Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν αὐτὰς ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου. (Rev 7:14)

Literally "the tribulation, the great"

Young's Literal Translation
and I have said to him, 'Sir, thou hast known;' and he said to me, 'These are those who are coming out of the great tribulation, and they did wash their robes, and they made their robes white in the blood of the Lamb;

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He did.

καὶ εἴρηκα αὐτῷ, Κύριέ, σὺ οἶδας. καὶ εἶπέ μοι, Οὗτοί εἰσιν οἱ ἐρχόμενοι ἐκ τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης, καὶ ἔπλυναν τὰς στολὰς αὐτῶν καὶ ἐλεύκαναν αὐτὰς ἐν τῷ αἵματι τοῦ ἀρνίου. (Rev 7:14)

Literally "the tribulation, the great"

Young's Literal Translation
and I have said to him, 'Sir, thou hast known;' and he said to me, 'These are those who are coming out of the great tribulation, and they did wash their robes, and they made their robes white in the blood of the Lamb;
I believe you will find that was "one of the Elders" speaking, not Jesus. I asked if Jesus ever said those words, and here you are trying to make the words of an Elder in John's vision something Jesus supposedly said.

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
I believe you will find that was "one of the Elders" speaking, not Jesus. I asked if Jesus ever said those words, and here you are trying to make the words of an Elder in John's vision something Jesus supposedly said.

But you shouldn't be arguing about that. John's Vision and every word in it are the words of Jesus of course. Regardless of whoever says it. Wouldn't you agree Brother?

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christians being fed to lions wondered "what tribulation could be greater than this"?

Christians being put to death, imprisoned and tortured through the ages and this very day wonder how their tribulation is not "great and large".

Greater love has no man than this that he lay down his life for his friends.

If you were being executed today the troubles of another time wouldn't have much meaning.

Christians suffering death, torture and imprisonment under the Nazis, communists, Islam or any other satanic group would find it difficult to believe their affliction will be worse in some other age.

It's so easy to spiritualize everything in the Bible with Greek and Hebrew quotes to the point that it has no practical meaning to believers. This what both the Roman and so called protestant teachers do. Convince the believers that they can't understand the scripture God provided for all. The ignorant fishermen standing before the Jewish council of Jerusalem proved the presence of the Holy Spirit to be greater than the theology of the learned leaders.

Being baptized in the Holy Spirit and Learning the truth of 1John 2:27 clears up much spiritual hoopla.

We must love one another but with the Holy Spirit we are not dependent upon any man for our daily bread.

If I live to some great tribulation, Jesus the christ will see me through it will he not?

Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid... Of any tribulation small or great.

Last edited:
Reactions: Willie T and Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The tribulation principle mentioned by the Lord Jesus in John 16, and the great tribulation in Matthew 24 are distinct matters. For the believer in the church, we may now indeed be comforted by the assurance of the Lord Jesus, Who has overcome the world: 'Let not your heart be troubled'.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Another prominent feature of the great tribulation is an unusual persecution of the Church.
The Great Tribulation is NOT for the Church, but for the unbelieving, the ungodly, the wicked, and the enemies of Christ. It coincides with all the wrath of God expressed in the 7th seal judgments (followed by the cataclysmic cosmic events of the 6th seal). Therefore the Church will be in Heaven while God pours out His judgments upon the earth.

There will be Tribulation saints (apart from the Church and primarily believing Jews who will respond to the preaching of the two witnesses in Revelation 11). They ALL will be beheaded by the Antichrist (Rev 20) BEFORE the Great Tribulation.

We find a verse in Revelation (Rev 7:14) which appears to suggest that the Church is subjected to the Great Tribulation. But it can also be interpreted as the Church having escaped the Great Tribulation, which would be supported by Lk 21:35,36 and Rev 3:10.

For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man. (Lk 21:35,36)

And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of [ESCAPED] [the] great tribulation [τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης = the tribulation, the great], and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. (Rev 7:14)

Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee [PRESERVE THEE] from the hour [PERIOD] of temptation, [TESTING] which shall come upon all the world, to try [TEST] them that dwell upon the earth. (Rev 3:10)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Great Tribulation is NOT for the Church, but for the unbelieving, the ungodly, the wicked, and the enemies of Christ. It coincides with all the wrath of God expressed in the 7th seal judgments (followed by the cataclysmic cosmic events of the 6th seal). Therefore the Church will be in Heaven while God pours out His judgments upon the earth.

There will be Tribulation saints (apart from the Church and primarily believing Jews who will respond to the preaching of the two witnesses in Revelation 11). They ALL will be beheaded by the Antichrist (Rev 20) BEFORE the Great Tribulation.

We find a verse in Revelation (Rev 7:14) which appears to suggest that the Church is subjected to the Great Tribulation. But it can also be interpreted as the Church having escaped the Great Tribulation, which would be supported by Lk 21:35,36 and Rev 3:10.

For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man. (Lk 21:35,36)

And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of [ESCAPED] [the] great tribulation [τῆς θλίψεως τῆς μεγάλης = the tribulation, the great], and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb. (Rev 7:14)

Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee [PRESERVE THEE] from the hour [PERIOD] of temptation, [TESTING] which shall come upon all the world, to try [TEST] them that dwell upon the earth. (Rev 3:10)
I certainly do agree that the church will not pass through the great tribulation. Part of the confusion sometimes is probably because people have not addressed the question: What is the church? (When did it begin? what is its character? etc.)

Reactions: Enoch111

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you shouldn't be arguing about that. John's Vision and every word in it are the words of Jesus of course. Regardless of whoever says it. Wouldn't you agree Brother?
Maybe if I couldn't read, I might have to accept someone telling me that.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I certainly do agree that the church will not pass through the great tribulation. Part of the confusion sometimes is probably because people have not addressed the question: What is the church? (When did it begin? what is its character? etc.)
One of the key passages to support this is 1 Thess 5:9-11

For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him. Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

At the very least, Christians must try to understand how Revelation chapters 6-18 (describing the wrath of God) should be reconciled with (a) the Tribulation ("the time of Jacob's trouble") and (b) the Great Tribulation. Since we find the Antichrist taking control in Rev 13 and setting up the Abomination of Desolation ("the image of the Beast") it should be evident that the Tribulation coincides with Rev 8-13 (first half of Daniel's 70th week), whereas the Great Tribulation (triggered by the Abomination of Desolation) coincides with Rev 14-18 (last half of Daniel's 70th week).

The only anomaly is Rev 6, which is at the END of Rev 18, since Christ said that those events would occur AFTER the tribulation of those days.

And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. (Rev 6:12-14)

Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken...(Mt 24:29)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
One of the key passages to support this is 1 Thess 5:9-11

For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him. Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

At the very least, Christians must try to understand how Revelation chapters 6-18 (describing the wrath of God) should be reconciled with (a) the Tribulation ("the time of Jacob's trouble") and (b) the Great Tribulation. Since we find the Antichrist taking control in Rev 13 and setting up the Abomination of Desolation ("the image of the Beast") it should be evident that the Tribulation coincides with Rev 8-13 (first half of Daniel's 70th week), whereas the Great Tribulation (triggered by the Abomination of Desolation) coincides with Rev 14-18 (last half of Daniel's 70th week).

The only anomaly is Rev 6, which is at the END of Rev 18, since Christ said that those events would occur AFTER the tribulation of those days.

And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood; And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind. And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places. (Rev 6:12-14)

Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken...(Mt 24:29)

Very relevant verses there! It's a comforting thought indeed that the church will not go through the great tribulation.

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria

Well,

According to scriptures. The believers will partake of the great tribulation but they won't partake of the wrath of God part of the tribulation.

Like you rightly quoted Rev 7:14.

It says which 'came out of'

And of course, you'll agree with me that you have to be in something to come out of it... right?

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
Christians being fed to lions wondered "what tribulation could be greater than this"?

Christians being put to death, imprisoned and tortured through the ages and this very day wonder how their tribulation is not "great and large".

Greater love has no man than this that he lay down his life for his friends.

If you were being executed today the troubles of another time wouldn't have much meaning.

Christians suffering death, torture and imprisonment under the Nazis, communists, Islam or any other satanic group would find it difficult to believe their affliction will be worse in some other age.

It's so easy to spiritualize everything in the Bible with Greek and Hebrew quotes to the point that it has no practical meaning to believers. This what both the Roman and so called protestant teachers do. Convince the believers that they can't understand the scripture God provided for all. The ignorant fishermen standing before the Jewish council of Jerusalem proved the presence of the Holy Spirit to be greater than the theology of the learned leaders.

Being baptized in the Holy Spirit and Learning the truth of 1John 2:27 clears up much spiritual hoopla.

We must love one another but with the Holy Spirit we are not dependent upon any man for our daily bread.

If I live to some great tribulation, Jesus the christ will see me through it will he not?

Let not your heart be troubled neither let it be afraid... Of any tribulation small or great.

A great point you have here brother...

But I believe our hearts will be more at rest with the right and better scriptural knowledge of the great tribulation.

Remember, the Lord himself, admonishes us to 'watch'.

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A great point you have here brother...

But I believe our hearts will be more at rest with the right and better scriptural knowledge of the great tribulation.

Remember, the Lord himself, admonishes us to 'watch'.

Brother, I am well familiar with the scripture yet am not afraid. As Christians we all watch.

OK there Wil be a great tribulation. So what. Jesus, is with me eh? I walked into an emergency room where my beautiful 15 year old daughter lay dead on a gurney,kilked by a drunk driver. Was that a great tribulation? I can think of no greater. What shall I fear?

My father spent his last 25 years in a VA hospital unable to walk or speak. Was that a great tribulation? My invalid mother was left alone. How grwt a trouble was that?

At the same time my dear mother, afflicted with Lupus since 25, was hospitalized and lie In a coma never to awake again. Was that a great tribulation or a small one?

My dear down syndrome nice Cindy died at 25, unable to be operated on for the holes in her heart. That was a great tribulation.

My nephew Bobby, 30 doused himself with gasoline and set himself on fire. He died after a few days.

I have many many others that were great.

What I am saying is that I don't really care and do not fear and refuse to continually meditate on any future great tribulation. Yes Jesus told of its coming but most likely I'll already be dead and gone.

Jesus gave us information but NOT to fear. I have looked for him daily for beyond 40 years and will continue to do so.

So much of what many Christians dwell on is from fear of having to go through hard things. Well, Jesus helped me to go through hell - like things in evil abundance yet I lived. Shall I fear because of the coming troubles? No. No. He said to watch not to fear. There seems to be a real push among Christians to fear these coming things. I refuse to spend my days fearing.

The pre, post or mid tribulation camps are established based on fears. I refuse. I spent the first 33 years before Jesus fearing and tormented by demons. I refuse fear in Jesus name. Admonishments for me to watch are unnecessary. Watching? At 74 watching is all I do. To tell me to watch is akin to telling birds they must fly south in the fall. It is built into spirit baptized, filled Christians.

We shall watch but it shall not cause us to live in fear or trouble our heart.

As far as my heart being at rest, I rest in the Holy Spirit despite the continual tribulations I've seen all the days of my life.

My heart is at rest despite any coming tribulation. Despite any coming famine. Despite any coming imprisonment. Despite any coming evil leaders. Despite any coming wars, or pestilence.

My heart rests in the Holy Spirit who has not left me nor will.
Amen

Psalm 118:6 KJVS
The Lord is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

emekrus

Apr 18, 2015
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
Brother, I am well familiar with the scripture yet am not afraid. As Christians we all watch.

OK there Wil be a great tribulation. So what. Jesus, is with me eh? I walked into an emergency room where my beautiful 15 year old daughter lay dead on a gurney,kilked by a drunk driver. Was that a great tribulation? I can think of no greater. What shall I fear?

My father spent his last 25 years in a VA hospital unable to walk or speak. Was that a great tribulation? My invalid mother was left alone. How grwt a trouble was that?

At the same time my dear mother, afflicted with Lupus since 25, was hospitalized and lie In a coma never to awake again. Was that a great tribulation or a small one?

My dear down syndrome nice Cindy died at 25, unable to be operated on for the holes in her heart. That was a great tribulation.

My nephew Bobby, 30 doused himself with gasoline and set himself on fire. He died after a few days.

I have many many others that were great.

What I am saying is that I don't really care and do not fear and refuse to continually meditate on any future great tribulation. Yes Jesus told of its coming but most likely I'll already be dead and gone.

Jesus gave us information but NOT to fear. I have looked for him daily for beyond 40 years and will continue to do so.

So much of what many Christians dwell on is from fear of having to go through hard things. Well, Jesus helped me to go through hell - like things in evil abundance yet I lived. Shall I fear because of the coming troubles? No. No. He said to watch not to fear. There seems to be a real push among Christians to fear these coming things. I refuse to spend my days fearing.

The pre, post or mid tribulation camps are established based on fears. I refuse. I spent the first 33 years before Jesus fearing and tormented by demons. I refuse fear in Jesus name. Admonishments for me to watch are unnecessary. Watching? At 74 watching is all I do. To tell me to watch is akin to telling birds they must fly south in the fall. It is built into spirit baptized, filled Christians.

We shall watch but it shall not cause us to live in fear or trouble our heart.

As far as my heart being at rest, I rest in the Holy Spirit despite the continual tribulations I've seen all the days of my life.

My heart is at rest despite any coming tribulation. Despite any coming famine. Despite any coming imprisonment. Despite any coming evil leaders. Despite any coming wars, or pestilence.

My heart rests in the Holy Spirit who has not left me nor will.
Amen

Psalm 118:6 KJVS
The Lord is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?
Sir,

I must say I admire your resolution. And honestly it is to be commended.

But however, you must realise that every believer are not like you. Many need to receive more knowledge in order to be able to brace up to the up coming tribulation. As ministers of God, I believe it will be a great negligence of duty to leave people to their-selves. Instead of carrying out our assignment thoroughly in order to help the weak ones.

And that aside, the great tribulation is recorded in the scriptures. And of course, it is a very significant aspect of the scripture to relegate to the background. Especially given the Lord's injunction to' live by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord'.

Many a minister of the gospel are actually erring along this line, by avoiding some part of the scriptures they believe to be irrelevant. Or simply because they are controversial.

I for one believe that toeing that line, leaves big loopholes for the enemy to exploit against so many believers.

If we must enjoy the complete, abundant Christian life the Lord came to give to us, then we must continually get fund of every single word of God in the scriptures.

I believe every single word in scriptures, has a part to play in our spiritual balance diet.