“God does the works”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Ceased from his own works...ceased from his own righteousness. Ceased from sowing his own name...

Romans 4:4-7 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. [5] But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. [6] Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, [7] Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

John 14:10-12 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. [11] Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake. [12] Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

ceased from his own works: “I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, WE are assigned the task of continually doing God's works for Him. The starving child will not be given a rainfall of manna.... God has told US to go to the child and give them something to eat.

Reactions: bbyrd009

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“him that works not(ceased from his own works) but believes on him John 14:12-13 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. [13] And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

He that believeth on me, the works I do shall he do also; and Greater works: the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
John 6:56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Been told always and believed it that neither of these are not possible and can only be Christ. John 14:23-24 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him. [24] He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

1 Corinthians 13:4-10 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, [5] Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; [6] Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; [7] Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. [8] Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. [9] For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. [10] But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

Matthew 5:43-48 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. [44] But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; [45] That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. [46] For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? [47] And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others ? do not even the publicans so? [48] Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, WE are assigned the task of continually doing God's works for Him. The starving child will not be given a rainfall of manna.... God has told US to go to the child and give them something to eat.

The child being His ...and He is that food.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The child being His ...and He is that food.
No, the child needs REAL milk from a cow, and ACTUAL bread baked in a human being's oven.... not high-sounding platitudes. This requires direct effort and delivery on our part. It will require time and money spent doing it for God.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, the child needs REAL milk from a cow, and ACTUAL bread baked in a human being's oven.... not high-sounding platitudes. This requires direct effort and delivery on our part. It will require time and money spent doing it for God.

This is true and is based on righteousness. Like when the Samaritan really helped the man that was attacked and near to dying.

The OP, however, is about holiness.

I'm amazed that nobody seems to be able to understand this simple difference.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1 Corinthians 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

How can one give all their goods to feed the poor...and have not charity?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

"Charity" probably should have been more accurately translated "love and concern for others."

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

People confuse the heart of a person...with the means at his/her disposal. You would think that bible readers would understand Jesus' pointing out the widow's 2 mites was she doing all she could.

But understanding seems hard to grasp these days.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People confuse the heart of a person...with the means at his/her disposal. You would think that bible readers would understand Jesus' pointing out the widow's 2 mites was she doing all she could.

But understanding seems hard to grasp these days.
Yes, following Christ is DOING, not just BEING.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Charity" probably should have been more accurately translated "love and concern for others."

See...if man doesn’t see some grand display of “love and concern for others” then he lifts up in pride over his obvious display of “love and concern”.

Jesus Christ in the wilderness had a choice ...why not multiply all the literal bread in the world to feed the starving at that time?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Following Christ is ...The Father does the works. Even Christ said: “I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

The miraculous works...yes. No one can raise the dead by their own power or righteousness. Don't confuse what God can do and what we can do.

But if you see somebody needing help...do you just point them to God saying...I can't help you...maybe God will? Like the religious ones that didn't help the wounded man because they didn't want to defile themselves?

Or do you think the Samaritan was controlled from heaven? Was what he did impossible by human standards?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or do you think the Samaritan was controlled from heaven? Was what he did impossible by human standards?

Absolutely. It is the Spirit of God poured into the wound that heals. Luke 10:34
And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn(where there was a place), and took care of him.
...even to repay what was owed upon His return.

Isaiah 30:26
[26] Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the light of seven days, in the day that the Lord bindeth up the breach of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound.

Impossible by human standards absolutely. We need Him ...not more of men’s empty works of righteousness. We need the works of God. The rest is a temporary band-aide to pacify what only God can satisfy.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Following Christ is ...The Father does the works. Even Christ said: “I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
You totally missed the first part.... "I speak..." Can you see Jesus simply sitting around waiting for God to move His lips? No, He knew God's will, and He went ahead and did it.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But if you see somebody needing help...do you just point them to God saying...I can't help you...maybe God will? Like the religious ones that didn't help the wounded man because they didn't want to defile themselves?

“...because they didn’t want to defile themselves.” Well you could sit around here pointing out the religious when there are plenty to do that. If you have something of a blessing to offer those who curse you...there are not plenty to do that.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.

Ceased from his own works...ceased from his own righteousness. Ceased from sowing his own name...

One must labor (be obedient) to enter into this rest of God (Hebrews 4:11) for the disobedient will not find this rest (Hebrews 3:18). In this life, the Christian is one who God has "before ordained" to walk in good works (Ephesians 2:10), the Christian is to strive to enter the narrow, strait gate (Luke 13:24) therefore the Christian possesses this rest in this life in promise, as an inheritance in the next life in eternity (Revelation 14:13). FF Bruce points out " It (the rest) is evidently an experience they do not enjoy in their present mortal state, although it belongs to them as a heritage, and by faith they may live in the good of it here and now." The Christian that does not labor will fall (become lost Hebrews 4:11) due to disobedience, the unfruitful will be cut off as a branch and cast into the fire, John 15:2-6.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You totally missed the first part.... "I speak..." Can you see Jesus simply sitting around waiting for God to move His lips? No, He knew God's will, and He went ahead and did it.

In He said “the Father’s does the works.” Those works the Father does ...are not idol empty vain works but works which remain. Not sure what the dispute is? Are you disputing John 14:10
[10] Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See...if man doesn’t see some grand display of “love and concern for others” then he lifts up in pride over his obvious display of “love and concern”.

Jesus Christ in the wilderness had a choice ...why not multiply all the literal bread in the world to feed the starving at that time?
??????????????????? Are you neglecting your meds? LOL