“Sanctification” vs “Conformation”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Considering the significance in the meaning of the above terms, I believe it would good to note the difference between them. Sanctification is a single work and is synonymous with holiness, which is to identify someone or something that belongs to God, which He has set apart for His pleasure. Conformation is an ongoing work of the forming of someone or something.

The potential misunderstanding when confusing the two is in how they are related to salvation. The occurrence of receiving salvation is a single act which does not admit in degrees, i.e. no believer is more or less saved than any other believer, and it has no variations in quality or quantity. One is either regenerated or not, which answers to why “sanctified” is always in the past tense in Scripture. Believers “are sanctified” because God has sanctified them at rebirth.

Conformation (not to confuse with confirmation) is the progressive work of God concerning the walk and faith of the believer, which are primarily purposed to manifest Himself through the believer. The most significant error that can be made if confusing these two terms is when conceiving that salvation (redemption) is an incomplete work within the believer, as though there are other factors besides the Cross-work of Christ to effect salvation.

All who are saved are sanctified, and this will inevitably be revealed in their manner of life as God continues to “conform” them, which “are change into the same image from glory to glory” (2Cor 3:18), “to the image of His Son (Rom 8:29).

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very timely post and I appreciate it! Lately there has been talk of sanctification being an ongoing process, yet I had those verses of being sanctified (past tense) in mind.

I don't think the flesh can ever be sanctified, but the spiritual man is.

Where to you see the term perfected in this?

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII said:
Very timely post and I appreciate it! Lately there has been talk of sanctification being an ongoing process, yet I had those verses of being sanctified (past tense) in mind.

I don't think the flesh can ever be sanctified, but the spiritual man is.

Where to you see the term perfected in this?
Hi FHII - Thanks for your reply and compliments! As you mentioned, the body in this life (1Cor 15:37) can never be sanctified, but it will be when it is redeemed (Rom 8:23); also Rom 8:11; Phil 3:21.

In the new nature the believer is perfected and in this new nature (seed) he cannot sin (1John 3:9). Thus we are perfected in our spirit concerning the new nature, not the body, though now the believer uses the body to manifest and glorify God (Rom 6:13; 1Cor 6:19, 20).

It's also helpful to know that the term "flesh" in the NT is nearly always used in reference to the sin nature (old man), not the physical flesh. The body itself is not evil but as we know can be used for evil. It's the soul that's evil and thus accountable if not redeemed.

For example, "the flesh (the old nature, the the physical body) lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that you cannot do the things that you would" (Gal 5:17).