“Sunteleia” and “Telos”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

gervais

Aug 3, 2009
Has anyone studied the difference between “Sunteleia” and “Telos” in Matthew 24? Check it out, it's an interesting study.

gervais

Aug 3, 2009
gervais;72253]Has anyone studied the difference between “Sunteleia” and “Telos” in Matthew 24? Check it out said:
G3952[/I], and of the end G4930 of the world? Mat 24:6 And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end G5056 is not yet. G3952παρουσίαparousiapar-oo-see'-ahFrom the present participle of G3918; a being near, that is, advent (often, return; specifically of Christ to punish Jerusalem, or finally the wicked); (by implication) physical aspect: - coming, presence.G4930συντέλειαsunteleiasoon-tel'-i-ahFrom G4931; entire completion, that is, consummation (of a dispensation): - end.G5056τέλοςtelostel'-osFrom a primary word τέλλω tellō (to set out for a definite point or goal); properly the point aimed at as a limit, that is, (by implication) the conclusion of an act or state (termination [literally, figuratively or indefinitely], result [immediate, ultimate or prophetic], purpose); specifically an impost or levy (as paid): - + continual, custom, end (-ing), finally, uttermost. Compare G5411.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Very interesting subject you have brought up here gervais I found this a good explanation: Strong’s Concordance defines telos as "the point aimed at, as a limit, i.e. (by implication) the conclusion of an act or state (termination.)"Suntelia is defined by the same source as "entire completion, i.e. consummation (of a dispensation.)" Professor W. E. Vine, in his Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words adds to the concept of suntelia: "The word does not denote a termination, but the heading up of events to the appointed climax." Vine gives, as his primary definition, "a bringing to completion together (sun with, teleo, to complete . . . ) marking the completion or consummation of the various parts of a scheme."The distinction, then, between the two terms is that telos refers to a final, definitive termination, while suntelia refers to a period of time in which a series of climactic events lead up to the telos, or final conclusion. In summary, telos applies to a point in time, and suntelia to a period of time.

gervais

Aug 3, 2009
"In summary, telos applies to a point in time, and suntelia to a period of time. "1) Keep that in mind2) Now look at the two words used for "temple"G3485ναόςnaosnah-os'From a primary word ναίωnaiō (to dwell); a fane, shrine, temple: - shrine, temple. Compare G2411. G2411ἱερόνhieronhee-er-on'Neuter of G2413; a sacred place, that is, the entire precincts (whereas G3485 denotes the central sanctuary itself) of the Temple (at Jerusalem or elsewhere): - temple. Mat 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple (G2411): and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple (G2411). Rev 15:8 And the temple (G3485) was filled with smoke from the glory of God, and from his power; and no man was able to enter into the temple (G3485), till the seven plagues of the seven angels were fulfilled. The "smoke " is "filling the Holy of Holies." Remember Christ's death parted the vail that had separated the Holy of Holies from the rest of the Temple. This is when we from the Dispensation of Law and entered the Dispensation of Grace. I think Rev 15:8 is when we move from the Dispensation of Grace into the Dispensation of Judgment. And that time begins the Night of the Lord. Remember also, that a day in Genesis started at sundown.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
very interesting thoughts here I will have to think and study on this .. ..Will get back to you on this ending of the time of Grace

gervais

Aug 3, 2009
Now take a look at this:Mat 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth (G1492) noman,no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.G1492εἴδωeidōi'-doA primary verb; used only in certain past tenses, the others being borrowed from the equivalent, G3700 and G3708; properly to see (literally or figuratively); by implication (in the perfect only) to know: - be aware, behold, X can (+ not tell), consider, (have) known (-ledge), look (on), perceive, see, be sure, tell, understand, wist, wot. Compare G3700. knoweth=(CB side column) has any intuitive knowledge == (me) is not saying you can discover the knowledge. The Father can make it known just as He made it known to Peter who Christ was, see below.Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.Then look at this:Mat 8:28 And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way. Mat 8:29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time (G2540)? G2540καιρόςkairoskahee-ros'Of uncertain affinity; an occasion, that is, set or proper time: - X always, opportunity, (convenient, due) season, (due, short, while) time, a while. Compare G5550.The Demons seem to know their appointed time. I think we can also.More to come 

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
[quote name='gervais;72356]"In summary' date=' telos applies to a point in time, and suntelia to a period of time. " 1) Keep that in mind2) Now look at the two words used for "temple" G3485 ναός naos nah-os' From a primary word ναίωnaiō (to dwell); a fane, shrine, temple: - shrine, temple. Compare G2411. G2411 ἱερόν hieron hee-er-on' Neuter of G2413; a sacred place, that is, the entire precincts (whereas G3485 denotes the central sanctuary itself) of the Temple (at Jerusalem or elsewhere): - temple. Mat 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple (G2411): and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple (G2411). Rev 15:8 And the temple (G3485) was filled with smoke from the glory of God, and from his power; and no man was able to enter into the temple (G3485), till the seven plagues of the seven angels were fulfilled. The "smoke " is "filling the Holy of Holies." Remember Christ's death parted the vail that had separated the Holy of Holies from the rest of the Temple. This is when we from the Dispensation of Law and entered the Dispensation of Grace. I think Rev 15:8 is when we move from the Dispensation of Grace into the Dispensation of Judgment. And that time begins the Night of the Lord. Remember also, that a day in Genesis started at sundown.[/QUOTE'] I found this such an interesting topic I had to take it to my sight to discuss with people I trust to know their stuff ... thought you might like to follow along you dont have to be a member to read it ... There was some confusion about the question in reply 2- 5 but then they get on with it http://biblestudy.madmooseforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=593