“The Book of Life”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would not hesitate to say that “the Book of Life” and the writing of its contents had no beginning and has no ending, for it is a conception of God, and everything known by Him is from everlasting (eternity past) to everlasting (eternity future), as in Psalm 90:2. Eternity has no time but it can be compared to time to reveal its meaning, and such is the Book of Life.

Concerning the compiling of its contents (names of people), it had no beginning, for God has always known who they are which will inherit “eternal life” (Mat 25:34). Concerning those involved in its contents, they do have a beginning, but no ending, for God knew when He would create, and knew all who would inherit eternal life even prior to creating, which content of this foreknowledge is unchangeable and unalterable. Can the destiny of one’s life change? All have only one destiny, and the concept of it changing would nullify the meaning of destiny.

For the Christian in this life, there is no greater encouragement than that of being convinced by “the word of truth,” that everyone who is truly “born again” will inevitably enter the eternal presence of God. If the Enemy can adversely affect the believer concerning this truth alone, there will never be a greater “weight” (Heb 12:1) that can hinder the believer from being “strong in faith” (Rom 4:20), nor one that could cause one to be any weaker (Rom 14:1), for the promise of eternal life is the sole hope of the believer in this life—it being the predominant support for the entirety for Scripture.

The hypocritical lives of those who “say” (Jam 2:18) they are redeemed but in truth are not, they give the appearance that one can attain regeneration (born again) and eventually forfeit its position (un-born again?), but this would not be eternal salvation, but rather temporal salvation, which is a non-existent concept in Scripture.

There exists Scriptural terminology which appears to refute this truth, but closer studies reveal their doctrines do not, and everyone is welcomed to present Scripture on which we can examine and share our thoughts and understanding. For example, passages pertaining to the “blotting out” of names in “the Book of Life” never actually design the intention of removing a name from “the Book.”

Here are some examples on which John Gill comments:

Exodus 32:32—“and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of the book which thou hast written“: “of eternal life, and is no other than the book of life of the Lamb, or God's predestination or choice of men in Christ to everlasting life, which is particular, personal, sure, and certain; and Moses asks for this, not as a thing either desirable or possible, but to express his great affection for this people, and his great concern for the glory of God; and rather than either should suffer, he chose, if it was possible, to be deprived of that eternal happiness he hoped for, and should enjoy.

Exodus 32:33—“whosoever hath sinned against Me, him will I blot out of My book”: “Not that anyone that is really in the book of life is ever blotted out, or that anyone predestinated or ordained to eternal life ever perish: but some persons may think themselves, and they may seem to be written in that book, or to be among the number of God's elect, but are not, and turn out obstinate impenitent sinners, and live and die in impenitence and unbelief; when it will appear that their names were never written in it, which, is the same thing as to be blotted out of it, see Psalm 69:28.”

Revelation 3:5—“And I will not blot out his name out of the book of life”: “by which is meant the choice of persons to everlasting life and salvation; and this being signified by a book, and by writing names in it, shows the exact knowledge God has of His elect, the value He has for them, His remembrance of them, His love to them, and care for them; and that this election is of particular persons by name, and is sure and certain; for those whose names are written in it shall never be blotted out, they will always remain in the number of God's elect, and can never become reprobates, or shall ever perish; because of the unchangeableness of the nature and love of God, the firmness of His purposes, the omnipotence of His arm, the death and intercession of Christ for them, their union to Him, and being in Him, the impossibility of their seduction by false teachers (Mat 24:24), and the security of their persons, grace, and glory in Christ, and in whose keeping this book of life is; which respects not this temporal life, that belongs to the book of providence, but a spiritual and eternal life, from whence it has its name.”

To me, the phrase “And I will not blot out his name” does not intend the possibility of a name being blotted out, but rather a situation which discloses the converse of such an action transpiring. My reason for continuing to address the truism of "Eternal Salvation" (Heb 5:9) is due to it being the most significant doctrine concerning spiritual growth. Again, the belief of one concerning this truth does not affect the receiving of salvation, but will affect the strength of one's faith.
-NC

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The most significant of God's three attributes (Omniscience, Omnipotence, Omnipresence) concerning the knowledge of the permanency of salvation is Omniscience, which means He has always possessed foreknowledge of all things, and everything He knows is from eternity past, to eternity everlasting.

The reason I focus on His omniscience when relating to salvation is because He gives it only to those He knows who are His (John 10:14, 27), which means He knows it will be permanent. It would be to misunderstand God's omniscience if one would think He would give eternal salvation to someone He knew would eventually reject it (eventual rejection evinces never having received), that's why it's not salvation if it's not eternal, because there is only one type of salvation--eternal salvation (Heb 5:9). There is no such thing as temporary salvation; either one is saved or has never been saved. The very meaning of "salvation" means to be eternally redeemed.

PJM

Apr 9, 2014
NetChaplain said:
I would not hesitate to say that “the Book of Life” and the writing of its contents had no beginning and has no ending, for it is a conception of God, and everything known by Him is from everlasting (eternity past) to everlasting (eternity future), as in Psalm 90:2. Eternity has no time but it can be compared to time to reveal its meaning, and such is the Book of Life.

Concerning the compiling of its contents (names of people), it had no beginning, for God has always known who they are which will inherit “eternal life” (Mat 25:34). Concerning those involved in its contents, they do have a beginning, but no ending, for God knew when He would create, and knew all who would inherit eternal life even prior to creating, which content of this foreknowledge is unchangeable and unalterable. Can the destiny of one’s life change? All have only one destiny, and the concept of it changing would nullify the meaning of destiny.

For the Christian in this life, there is no greater encouragement than that of being convinced by “the word of truth,” that everyone who is truly “born again” will inevitably enter the eternal presence of God. If the Enemy can adversely affect the believer concerning this truth alone, there will never be a greater “weight” (Heb 12:1) that can hinder the believer from being “strong in faith” (Rom 4:20), nor one that could cause one to be any weaker (Rom 14:1), for the promise of eternal life is the sole hope of the believer in this life—it being the predominant support for the entirety for Scripture.

The hypocritical lives of those who “say” (Jam 2:18) they are redeemed but in truth are not, they give the appearance that one can attain regeneration (born again) and eventually forfeit its position (un-born again?), but this would not be eternal salvation, but rather temporal salvation, which is a non-existent concept in Scripture.

There exists Scriptural terminology which appears to refute this truth, but closer studies reveal their doctrines do not, and everyone is welcomed to present Scripture on which we can examine and share our thoughts and understanding. For example, passages pertaining to the “blotting out” of names in “the Book of Life” never actually design the intention of removing a name from “the Book.”

Exodus 32:32—“and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of the book which thou hast written“: “of eternal life, and is no other than the book of life of the Lamb, or God's predestination or choice of men in Christ to everlasting life, which is particular, personal, sure, and certain; and Moses asks for this, not as a thing either desirable or possible, but to express his great affection for this people, and his great concern for the glory of God; and rather than either should suffer, he chose, if it was possible, to be deprived of that eternal happiness he hoped for, and should enjoy.

Exodus 32:33—“whosoever hath sinned against Me, him will I blot out of My book”: “Not that anyone that is really in the book of life is ever blotted out, or that anyone predestinated or ordained to eternal life ever perish: but some persons may think themselves, and they may seem to be written in that book, or to be among the number of God's elect, but are not, and turn out obstinate impenitent sinners, and live and die in impenitence and unbelief; when it will appear that their names were never written in it, which, is the same thing as to be blotted out of it, see Psalm 69:28.”

Revelation 3:5—“And I will not blot out his name out of the book of life”: “by which is meant the choice of persons to everlasting life and salvation; and this being signified by a book, and by writing names in it, shows the exact knowledge God has of His elect, the value He has for them, His remembrance of them, His love to them, and care for them; and that this election is of particular persons by name, and is sure and certain; for those whose names are written in it shall never be blotted out, they will always remain in the number of God's elect, and can never become reprobates, or shall ever perish; because of the unchangeableness of the nature and love of God, the firmness of His purposes, the omnipotence of His arm, the death and intercession of Christ for them, their union to Him, and being in Him, the impossibility of their seduction by false teachers (Mat 24:24), and the security of their persons, grace, and glory in Christ, and in whose keeping this book of life is; which respects not this temporal life, that belongs to the book of providence, but a spiritual and eternal life, from whence it has its name.”

To me, the phrase “And I will not blot out his name” does not intend the possibility of a name being blotted out, but rather a situation which discloses the converse of such an action transpiring. My reason for continuing to address the truism of "Eternal Salvation" (Heb 5:9) is due to it being the most significant doctrine concerning spiritual growth. Again, the belief of one concerning this truth does not affect the receiving of salvation, but will affect the strength of one's faith.
-NC
NetChaplain said:

-NC
So my dear friend, allow me to ask a couple of questions [I'm a newbe]

[1] Where in the Bible does it speak of being Born Again leading on its own merits to a guarenteed salvation. That's not what my bible says about John 3:5

[2] How many true God's are their? in my bible One /Triune

[3] How many differing sets of Faith beliefs did Yahweh tolerate?

[4] In a world of Billions; How many "chosesn" nations did Yahweh choose?

[5] Did Christ in a sense "reinvent the wheel" by doing someting He had already determined as RIGHT?

God Bless you friend,
PJM

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PJM said:
So my dear friend, allow me to ask a couple of questions [I'm a newbe]

[1] Where in the Bible does it speak of being Born Again leading on its own merits to a guarenteed salvation. That's not what my bible says about John 3:5
Hi PJM - The above is the only question I partly understand enough for a reply, but I do not think I can answer it sufficiently without you first understanding the term "born again." I hope you do not think I'm responding in this way to challenge or suspect what you may or may not know, because I'm sincere about communicating with you if we can.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NetChaplain said:
The most significant of God's three attributes (Omniscience, Omnipotence, Omnipresence) concerning the knowledge of the permanency of salvation is Omniscience, which means He has always possessed foreknowledge of all things, and everything He knows is from eternity past, to eternity everlasting.

The reason I focus on His omniscience when relating to salvation is because He gives it only to those He knows who are His (John 10:14, 27), which means He knows it will be permanent. It would be to misunderstand God's omniscience if one would think He would give eternal salvation to someone He knew would eventually reject it (eventual rejection evinces never having received), that's why it's not salvation if it's not eternal, because there is only one type of salvation--eternal salvation (Heb 5:9). There is no such thing as temporary salvation; either one is saved or has never been saved. The very meaning of "salvation" means to be eternally redeemed.
So NetChaplin, could it be said in this view you have expressed that one’s name is already written in the book of Life, before the fulfillment of one being born of the Holy Spirit? Since God’s foreknowledge is not only knowing all things but also what it shall be. Just as when He speaks it shall be fulfilled. But is that really foreknowledge, or is it His power that when He speaks revealing His Will it is fulfilled?

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DPMartin said:
So NetChaplin, could it be said in this view you have expressed that one’s name is already written in the book of Life, before the fulfillment of one being born of the Holy Spirit? Since God’s foreknowledge is not only knowing all things but also what it shall be. Just as when He speaks it shall be fulfilled. But is that really foreknowledge, or is it His power that when He speaks revealing His Will it is fulfilled?
Yes. In His omnipotence He makes it so, and in His omniscience He knows it shall be, and has known it from eternity past because everything God knows is from eternity, that is, He has always known it. Good point DM!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I understand your point there NetChaplain but I’m not sure it goes the way you described it. It’s very possible that God knows what He wants and when He sees what He wants, as in it meets His criteria, then it is a chosen. For example many confuse the issue of “It’s God’s Will that all come” and the thinking behind “the Elect”. When Jesus who is of God like God walked amongst His People all who came to Him into His Presence believing that He could, if He would was granted the request. And in some recorded cases in scripture He points out that faith. What did He go about His people looking for but Faith? That is God’s choice from the very beginning with Adam and Eve. Hence not a respect of person, but of faith. In other words we are not chosen because of who we are, if that was the case then thy sins would be a factor in the matter. All that matters in this case, is that your faith is where? Of which the Lord God recognizes being that He sees men from the heart. Men see other men by there faces of flesh, and recognize one another. The Lord God sees the hearts of men and recognizes that which has the faith in Him, though they might not even know they do, which makes them the elect. God knows good soil when He sees it, for the seed of Life. And also consider that it is God who made the soil in the first place.

But a foreknowledge from forever, don’t know, it is true that the Lord God inhabits eternity, but the need to know all things all the time at once. I don’t think so, for example, God dwells in the Light, and not in the darkness. And there are statements by Jesus declaring to someone that they should go away because He knows then not. Just because one knows something is, doesn’t mean one has a intimate and continuos knowledge thereof.

Remember that God said let there be light then saw the light that it was good and then separated the light from the darkness. Hence when the Spirit of God moved on the face of the waters there was darkness already, correct? Not exactly God’s choice was it? So for His Presence to be in His creation there must be the manifestation of His Light of His Word to accommodate His Presence therein.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DPMartin said:
It’s very possible that God knows what He wants and when He sees what He wants, as in it meets His criteria, then it is a chosen. For example many confuse the issue of “It’s God’s Will that all come” and the thinking behind “the Elect”.

But a foreknowledge from forever, don’t know, it is true that the Lord God inhabits eternity, but the need to know all things all the time at once. I don’t think so
Hi DPM - With me, omniscience is all knowing, and I do not find it said anywhere concerning partial-knowing, nor Him choosing not to know something as some might suspect.

Concerning His "will" and "desire," His will involves that which occurs according to what He has chosen, i.e. those who choose to believe in Him "find eternal life," and those who choose not to believe, "the road to destruction" (eternal or second death--Mat 7:13, 14), and He knew most would choose the latter.

His desire involves that which He would that all would have done (chosen eternal life), but He foreknew most would not, even before creating and I have no problem concluding that He did it for those He foreknew would choose Him.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NetChaplin

Or is it from the view that many are called few are chosen? Consider that the U.S. purchased large land tracks with monies and or blood. But not all of it is fruitful or productive and in some cases useful for human endeavors. Same with all the souls of men, Jesus has done what was necessary to own in the flesh in the earth, all that was given man that man forfeited to another. But the fruitfulness thereof must meet a chosen criteria. Which makes it chosen of God, predestined. And according to your earlier postings here its impossible to be the chooser when you have already been chosen before you even had the capacity to be. If your not chosen in the first place you have no choice, and if you are already chosen before you are aware, it will be fulfilled according to God’s choice which makes you predestined before you came into the world. Hence by revelation of God which is His choice to do. God reveals Himself that He is and the recipient of the revelation believes. I can tell you about this town I live in and you can imagine, speculate, theorize, and judge of your own, whether its true or not. But when you see the town, then you know the town that it is and is true. Hence believe.

Im not saying He isn’t omnipotent the bible says He is, but don’t find "omniscience" in scripture. Though yes there are descriptions that He knows all. But there are things He has created to be in His Presence, and there are things He made that He will not have in His Presence. If He is selective in what He would have in His sight then why wouldn’t He be selective in other matters? If Moses who had a stupendous relationship with the Lord God of all things, didn’t realize this why would he even attempt to pursued the Lord to not do something that the Lord said He would do?

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DPMartin said:
NetChaplin

Or is it from the view that many are called few are chosen?

Im not saying He isn’t omnipotent the bible says He is, but don’t find "omniscience" in scripture.
"Many called, few chosen" intends the fact that the majority of mankind will not chose to "find eternal life" (Mat 7:13, 14).

There are truths of God revealed in Scripture which may not have a title or a single word identification, but knowing what is in Scripture will disclose it, i.e. "rapture," which is not termed such in Scripture but is revealed in Scripture (1 Tim 4:16, 17); "Omniscience" (Psa 44:21; Isa 46:10).

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NetChaplain said:
"Many called, few chosen" intends the fact that the majority of mankind will not chose to "find eternal life" (Mat 7:13, 14).

There are truths of God revealed in Scripture which may not have a title or a single word identification, but knowing what is in Scripture will disclose it, i.e. "rapture," which is not termed such in Scripture but is revealed in Scripture (1 Tim 4:16, 17); "Omniscience" (Psa 44:21; Isa 46:10).
In Matthew Chapter 7, Jesus is speaking in reference to their Father who is in Heaven, hence speaking to those already children or potential sons of God. How is it this scripture you keep quoting has anything to do with whether God chooses some one to be born of His Spirit, or some is born of His Spirit of their own will? Once born into the Kingdom of God, there are things to do and instruction to follow, you know.

And using reference by quoting text from some fledgling translation as the HCSB is some what cheesy there NetChaplin. The translation isn’t even over ten years old. These outfits will put out anything if it sells. Where as something like KJV has been in public use for over 400 yr’s, most other English translations are based on it, and withstood the scrutiny thereof. At least use a translation that has some stature behind it.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DPMartin said:
In Matthew Chapter 7, Jesus is speaking in reference to their Father who is in Heaven, hence speaking to those already children or potential sons of God. How is it this scripture you keep quoting has anything to do with whether God chooses some one to be born of His Spirit, or some is born of His Spirit of their own will? Once born into the Kingdom of God, there are things to do and instruction to follow, you know.

And using reference by quoting text from some fledgling translation as the HCSB is some what cheesy there NetChaplin. The translation isn’t even over ten years old. These outfits will put out anything if it sells. Where as something like KJV has been in public use for over 400 yr’s, most other English translations are based on it, and withstood the scrutiny thereof. At least use a translation that has some stature behind it.
Not sure of what you're actually wanting to shared here but concerning bible translations, I only use KJV or NKJV when I presnt Scripture.

The focus on the thread "The Book of Life" is on the truth that the believer has eternal life in Christ or has no life whatsoever in Him.

May He continue to guide us in our fellowship in the word of truth, and God be blessed!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NetChaplain said:
Not sure of what you're actually wanting to shared here but concerning bible translations, I only use KJV or NKJV when I presnt Scripture.

The focus on the thread "The Book of Life" is on the truth that the believer has eternal life in Christ or has no life whatsoever in Him.

May He continue to guide us in our fellowship in the word of truth, and God be blessed!

Well, when I mouse over your ref in parentheses it comes up in the afore mentioned HCSB version. I don’t know if that’s a client or a server issue. So that’s where I got your usage of HCSB. Even if you’re not, you are still guilty. ;)

I realize this many be off subject, but it doesn’t look like you are over whelmed with responses, does it?

As far as using terminology other than what is used in scripture like "rapture" if you noticed it’s almost if not always in reference to a theology such as rapture. Which is almost always man’s attempt to fill in the blanks or at least what is perceived as blanks in scripture. Which especially in today’s society is constantly dangerous do to the constant valued redefining of what everything is, and means. Hence the many version of what is or is not the rapture even in the schools of thought that there is no rapture and these are only in the Christian community let alone out side of the Christian community.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DPMartin said:
Well, when I mouse over your ref in parentheses it comes up in the afore mentioned HCSB version. I don’t know if that’s a client or a server issue. So that’s where I got your usage of HCSB. Even if you’re not, you are still guilty. ;)

I realize this many be off subject, but it doesn’t look like you are over whelmed with responses, does it?

As far as using terminology other than what is used in scripture like "rapture" if you noticed it’s almost if not always in reference to a theology such as rapture. Which is almost always man’s attempt to fill in the blanks or at least what is perceived as blanks in scripture. Which especially in today’s society is constantly dangerous do to the constant valued redefining of what everything is, and means. Hence the many version of what is or is not the rapture even in the schools of thought that there is no rapture and these are only in the Christian community let alone out side of the Christian community.
This and all sites use their choice of translation when you present a Scripture passage. Don't know your intention of "Even if you’re not, you are still guilty" but that's okay, I don't take offense.

Concerning determining interpreting Scripture, it's best to find other Scripture passages which actually concurs with a thought so it can be confirmed, this is the least one should do to attempt to resolve understanding Biblical doctrine and the safest way to know "What the Holy Ghost teaches" (1 Co 2:13). All of Scripture interprets itself, but any doctrine can seem to be substantiated by partial Scripture, while truth is substantiated by the whole of Scripture.