“the dead know not any thing,”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Always heard that those in the grave know nothing, therefore the grave’s victory is that “the memory of them is forgotten.” Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Jonah 2:2-7 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. [3] For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me. [4] Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple. [5] The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head. [6] I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God. [7] When my soul fainted within me I remembered the Lord : and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.

Yet also He went down unto the grave and as Jonah in the above His voice was heard out of the grave. And He did know and came forth out of the grave. How can one not know anything in the grave, when one also can cry out of it for God’s help? John 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Job 14:13 O that thou wouldest hide me in the grave, that thou wouldest keep me secret, until thy wrath be past, that thou wouldest appoint me a set time, and remember me!

Psalm 6:4-5 Return, O Lord, deliver my soul: oh save me for thy mercies' sake. [5] For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

Psalm 49:15 But God will redeem my soul from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah.

Psalm 89:48 What man is he that liveth, and shall not see death? shall he deliver his soul from the hand of the grave? Selah.

John 8:51-52 Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. [52] Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

Hebrews 11:5 By faith Enoch was translated that he should not see death; and was not found, because God had translated him: for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God.

Isaiah 38:18 For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth.

1 Corinthians 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Always heard that those in the grave know nothing, therefore the grave’s victory is that “the memory of them is forgotten.” Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
the memory is forgotten of them in the world "living", for they know that they will die. but GOD knows, for he have a book of remembrance Malachi 3:16 "Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name".

so you're remembered.
Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest
that's true.
He was not dead, physically yet.
Yet also He went down unto the grave and as Jonah in the above His voice was heard out of the grave. And He did know and came forth out of the grave. How can one not know anything in the grave, when one also can cry out of it for God’s help? John 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
true for he is the GOD of the Living as well as the DEAD, scripture, Romans 14:9 "For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living". see, after his resurrection he's the God of the dead also, not only the living.

PICJAG.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Base12

Dec 27, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those that are alive know nothing as well...

Job 8:9
(For we are but of yesterday, and know nothing, because our days upon earth are a shadow:)

1 Corinthians 8:2
"And if any man think that he knoweth any thing, he knoweth nothing yet as he ought to know"

1 Corinthians 4:4
"For I know nothing by myself; yet am I not hereby justified: but he that judgeth me is the Lord"

1 Timothy 6:4
"He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings"

John 11:49
"And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all"

Thus, the Dead and Alive know nothing.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods

Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Jonah 2:2-7 And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. [3] For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me. [4] Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple. [5] The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head. [6] I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O Lord my God. [7] When my soul fainted within me I remembered the Lord : and my prayer came in unto thee, into thine holy temple.

I believe the "dead know not anything" refers to the dead not knowing anything that takes place here on earth "under the sun". The last phrase of verse 6 speaks of what is done 'under the sun'.. 'Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun." Luke 16 the dead are conscience and have knowledge of past things but no knowledge of what is presently going on in the world, under the sun.