“The Everlasting Covenant” -NC

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of the five covenants made between God and man (Adamic, Noahic, Abrahamic, Mosaic, Davidic), none were intended to procure fellowship with Him, but were used to prepare and lead men to the one covenant which would procure fellowship with Him, which is the Everlasting Covenant (Heb 13:20). This is the “New Testament or Covenant, as the modern translations read, that Jesus spoke of in His blood (Mat 26:28; Mark 14:24; Luke 22:20). Nowhere is this Covenant shown to be between us and Christ or us and the Father but rather, we are the recipients of this Covenant.

This is the only Covenant made that was not between God and man because it was made in eternity past—between the Father and the Son. This involved the Father’s promise to raise Jesus from the dead after atoning for the sins of man; “the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ” (Gal 3:17). “And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance” (Heb 9:15).

The purpose of God's dealings with Israel was to reveal to them and the rest of the world His desire and plans for fellowship with Him. Jesus’ atonement for sin broke the curse incurred by Adam and Eve (Gen 2:17), which means not only Israel’s redemption “from the curse of the law” (most have yet to attain) but also “That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ” for “the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe”. (Gal 3:13, 14, 22).

“Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen (Heb 13:20, 21).

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Of the five covenants made between God and man (Adamic, Noahic, Abrahamic, Mosaic, Davidic), none were intended to procure fellowship with Him, but were used to prepare and lead men to the one covenant which would procure fellowship with Him, which is the Everlasting Covenant (Heb 13:20). This is the “New Testament or Covenant, as the modern translations read, that Jesus spoke of in His blood (Mat 26:28; Mark 14:24; Luke 22:20). Nowhere is this Covenant shown to be between us and Christ or us and the Father but rather, we are the recipients of this Covenant.

This is the only Covenant made that was not between God and man because it was made in eternity past—between the Father and the Son. This involved the Father’s promise to raise Jesus from the dead after atoning for the sins of man; “the covenant that was confirmed before by God in Christ” (Gal 3:17). “And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance” (Heb 9:15).

The purpose of God's dealings with Israel was to reveal to them and the rest of the world His desire and plans for fellowship with Him. Jesus’ atonement for sin broke the curse incurred by Adam and Eve (Gen 2:17), which means not only Israel’s redemption “from the curse of the law” (most have yet to attain) but also “That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ” for “the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe”. (Gal 3:13, 14, 22).

“Now may the God of peace who brought up our Lord Jesus from the dead, that great Shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, make you complete in every good work to do His will, working in you what is well pleasing in His sight, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory forever and ever. Amen (Heb 13:20, 21).

Then if man was not included in the everlasting covenant How can he break it?

5 The earth is also defiled under its inhabitants, Because they have transgressed the laws, Changed the ordinance, Broken the everlasting covenant.

Christ was born a man therefore the everlasting covenant is between the Man Christ and his father God.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then if man was not included in the everlasting covenant How can he break it?

The word "broken" in Isaiah 24:5 is more related to the idea that an attempt has always been made of the wicked to overthrow and change the Everlasting Covenant; which cannot be broken between the Father and the Son, for this Covenant was made before the foundation of the world, when Jesus was called the "Word of God".

"This is related to the fact that antichrists have done all that is in their power to break, make null and void, by corrupting the word, and changing the ordinances, and setting up their own institutions above them, and against them." - J Gill

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A few questions:

1. If the Covenant was established "in eternity past" why is it called the new Covenant?

2. If the Covenant is between the Son and the Father why does Jeremiah say: "The days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. " (Jer 31:31)

3. A Covenant is established with blood. How can it have been established "in eternity past" when the blood was not shed until Jesus died?

The only evidence you have that this Covenant was established "in eternity past" is a misunderstanding of Gal 3:17

Paul is arguing that the blessing to mankind comes through Abraham - through the Abrahamic Covenant.

15. To give a human example, brethren: no one annuls even a man's will, or adds to it, once it has been ratified.

16 Now the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, "And to offsprings," referring to many; but, referring to one, "And to your offspring," which is Christ.
The promises are the promises of the Abrahamic Covenant

17 This is what I mean: the law, which came four hundred and thirty years afterward, does not annul a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to make the promise void.
The Law (The Covenant made with Moses) does not annul the Abrahamic Covenant that was ratified by God. It was God who made & ratified the covenant with Abraham (Gen 15)

18 For if the inheritance is by the law, it is no longer by promise; but God gave it to Abraham by a promise.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A few questions:

1. If the Covenant was established "in eternity past" why is it called the new Covenant?

2. If the Covenant is between the Son and the Father why does Jeremiah say: "The days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. " (Jer 31:31)

3. A Covenant is established with blood. How can it have been established "in eternity past" when the blood was not shed until Jesus died?

The only evidence you have that this Covenant was established "in eternity past" is a misunderstanding of Gal 3:17

Paul is arguing that the blessing to mankind comes through Abraham - through the Abrahamic Covenant.

15. To give a human example, brethren: no one annuls even a man's will, or adds to it, once it has been ratified.

16 Now the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, "And to offsprings," referring to many; but, referring to one, "And to your offspring," which is Christ.
The promises are the promises of the Abrahamic Covenant

17 This is what I mean: the law, which came four hundred and thirty years afterward, does not annul a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to make the promise void.
The Law (The Covenant made with Moses) does not annul the Abrahamic Covenant that was ratified by God. It was God who made & ratified the covenant with Abraham (Gen 15)

18 For if the inheritance is by the law, it is no longer by promise; but God gave it to Abraham by a promise.

Hi Mungo - God's blessings to your Family! I could answer your questions but if you would, I'd like to direct you to something I hope will be more completer. You can ask me whatever you like after viewing it or not. Thanks for yor reply and your questions are very valid: http://withchrist.org/mjs/twonew.htm

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Mungo - God's blessings to your Family! I could answer your questions but if you would, I'd like to direct you to something I hope will be more completer. You can ask me whatever you like after viewing it or not. Thanks for yor reply and your questions are very valid: http://withchrist.org/mjs/twonew.htm

Ah, Dispensationalism!

Another novel invention of man.