“The Romans Road” has a disastrous fork in the road!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
The right fork goes to a narrow gate and a difficult way, which leads to Heaven.
The wrong fork goes to a wide gate and a broad way, which leads to Hell.

Paul’s letter to the Christians in Rome is addressed to …
“the called of Jesus Christ … beloved of God, called to be saints” (Romans 1:6-7)

He says to them,
“we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith” (Romans 1:5)

“The Romans Road” is famous for laying out the Plan of Salvation for Christians.

However, for Christians who are NOT obedient to the faith
“The Romans Road” lays out the Plan of Damnation for Christians!

Paul gives MANY WARNINGS to the Christians in Rome …

Romans 1:
The righteousness of God is revealed: “The just shall live by faith”
The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness
and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness
• Knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things
(a long list of sins) are deserving of death

Romans 2:
You who judge those practicing such things (a long list of sins),
and doing the same, (do you think) that you will escape the judgment of God?
To those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness
— indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil,
for there is no partiality with God.

Romans 6:
Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not!
We should no longer be slaves of sin
Reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin
Do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts
Do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin
Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not!
You are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or …
Present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness
The end of those things (practicing sin) is death
For the wages of sin is death

Romans 8:
No condemnation to those who walk according to the Spirit
The righteous requirement of the law is fulfilled by walking according to the Spirit
To be carnally minded is death
The carnal mind is enmity against God
Those who are in the flesh cannot please God
If you live according to the flesh you will die
If by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God
We are children of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him

Romans 11:
Do not be haughty, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches (the Jews),
He may not spare you either. Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God:
on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness.
Otherwise you also will be cut off.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I might have missed it, but is there even any mention of repentance in the Roman Road?

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
evangelist-7 said:
The right fork goes to a narrow gate and a difficult way, which leads to Heaven.
The wrong fork goes to a wide gate and a broad way, which leads to Hell.

Paul’s letter to the Christians in Rome is addressed to …
“the called of Jesus Christ … beloved of God, called to be saints” (Romans 1:6-7)

He says to them,
“we have received grace and apostleship for obedience to the faith” (Romans 1:5)

“The Romans Road” is famous for laying out the Plan of Salvation for Christians.

However, for Christians who are NOT obedient to the faith
“The Romans Road” lays out the Plan of Damnation for Christians!

Paul gives MANY WARNINGS to the Christians in Rome …

Romans 1:
The righteousness of God is revealed: “The just shall live by faith”
The wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness
and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness
• Knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things
(a long list of sins) are deserving of death

Romans 2:
You who judge those practicing such things (a long list of sins),
and doing the same, (do you think) that you will escape the judgment of God?
To those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness
— indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil,
for there is no partiality with God.

Romans 6:
Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not!
We should no longer be slaves of sin
Reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin
Do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts
Do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin
Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not!
You are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or …
Present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness
The end of those things (practicing sin) is death
For the wages of sin is death

Romans 8:
No condemnation to those who walk according to the Spirit
The righteous requirement of the law is fulfilled by walking according to the Spirit
To be carnally minded is death
The carnal mind is enmity against God
Those who are in the flesh cannot please God
If you live according to the flesh you will die
If by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live
For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God
We are children of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him

Romans 11:
Do not be haughty, but fear. For if God did not spare the natural branches (the Jews),
He may not spare you either. Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God:
on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness.
Otherwise you also will be cut off.
There are two subjects being mixed together here. The first one is salvation by faith and the other one is salvation be the law.
This is called leaven. We will have to make up our minds here, as to whether we will allow this leaven into our thinking or not.

The carnal mind does not receive the things of the Spirit of God. But in 1Cor.2:12, we read.." But we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things freely given to us by God"

These things are mentioned in Rom.5:15-18. They are life and righteousness. But Rom.8:32 goes even further. In it, Paul quips that if God did not spare His Son but delivered Him up for us all ,how shall he not also with Him freely gives us all things?

So how is it that we are to be obedient to the faith? Is obedience to law the same as obedience to faith? I think not.
How is it that we, by the Spirit put to death the deeds of the flesh? By obedience to law? Paul said that he who lives according to the Spirit has his mind set on the things of the Spirit (Rom.8:5). What are the things of the Spirit? The things freely given by God.

In fact, verse 1 in ch.8 begins with the word 'therefore" It is a conclusion given from previous verses. What was the mindset revealed in chapter 7? vs.24,25.. " O wretched man that I am, who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God-through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with my flesh the law of sin. Paul's mindset was that he loved the law, hated sin, but admitted that he was not able to serve the law as he would wish because of the sin in him. so in vs. 17, he says " But now it is no longer I who do it (sin), but sin that dwells in me".
Paul through having his mind set on the things of the Spirit, was able to separate his identity from his sinful flesh.

It is by faith in the shed blood of Jesus that we are crucified with Him. This is how we take up our cross. It is through faith that the sacrifice has reconciled us. Thus as Paul said in Rom.5:1..." Therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ".

The disaster is not IN the Romans road. The disaster is OFF the Romans road. One is faith, The other is works of law. (sin is transgression of law) How will a person be justified? I guess we will see who is obedient to the faith and who is not.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
In the NT we have this incredible mixture of:
[SIZE=13pt]• [/SIZE]Blessings
[SIZE=13pt]• [/SIZE]Explanations
[SIZE=13pt]• [/SIZE]Exhortations
[SIZE=13pt]• [/SIZE]Warnings that the Blessings are conditional.

The simple Blessings are hooks to catch the little fishes.
Then Jesus Warns to first count the cost of discipleship.
Paul constantly gives Exhortations and encouragement.
And we are Warned that the Blessings are conditional.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
williemac said:
There are two subjects being mixed together here. The first one is salvation by faith and the other one is salvation be the law.
This is called leaven. We will have to make up our minds here, as to whether we will allow this leaven into our thinking or not.

The carnal mind does not receive the things of the Spirit of God. But in 1Cor.2:12, we read.." But we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things freely given to us by God"

These things are mentioned in Rom.5:15-18. They are life and righteousness. But Rom.8:32 goes even further. In it, Paul quips that if God did not spare His Son but delivered Him up for us all ,how shall he not also with Him freely gives us all things?

So how is it that we are to be obedient to the faith? Is obedience to law the same as obedience to faith? I think not.
How is it that we, by the Spirit put to death the deeds of the flesh? By obedience to law? Paul said that he who lives according to the Spirit has his mind set on the things of the Spirit (Rom.8:5). What are the things of the Spirit? The things freely given by God.

In fact, verse 1 in ch.8 begins with the word 'therefore" It is a conclusion given from previous verses. What was the mindset revealed in chapter 7? vs.24,25.. " O wretched man that I am, who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank God-through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with my flesh the law of sin. Paul's mindset was that he loved the law, hated sin, but admitted that he was not able to serve the law as he would wish because of the sin in him. so in vs. 17, he says " But now it is no longer I who do it (sin), but sin that dwells in me".
Paul through having his mind set on the things of the Spirit, was able to separate his identity from his sinful flesh.

It is by faith in the shed blood of Jesus that we are crucified with Him. This is how we take up our cross. It is through faith that the sacrifice has reconciled us. Thus as Paul said in Rom.5:1..." Therefore having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ".

The disaster is not IN the Romans road. The disaster is OFF the Romans road. One is faith, The other is works of law. (sin is transgression of law) How will a person be justified? I guess we will see who is obedient to the faith and who is not.

Good for the most part. But I'm hearing a distinction that is not biblical. Works of the law is another way of saying religious observance or...in Paul's case ...Judaism. The Roman church was especially assailed by Judaizers seeking to bring spiritual believers in Christ under the yoke of religious observance. This happened in the region of Galatia as well.

But you seem to have missed this important consideration in your rebuttal!

Do you think works of the law are human efforts towards doing good as opposed to religious observances like physical circumcision, sabbath keeping... etcc?