“YOU WILL BE MY WITNESSES” Acts 1:8

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
“YOU WILL BE MY WITNESSES” Acts 1:8

We are his witnesses, each and every one of us who call ourselves Christian, but we aren’t necessarily good witnesses of God’s love and forgiveness. We all know people who have been put off church by Christians who have been bad witnesses to God’s love, grace and acceptance; people who have been intolerant, judgmental and plain unfriendly.

Our witness lies not only in what we say but how we are as well. People notice things like hypocrisy and back-biting. We like our cosy gatherings where every one is well dressed and polite; where we can feel holy, calm and peaceful in the presence of the Lord. But the purpose of the church is not to provide a social network for ‘good’ people but to reach out to those still in their sin. All saints have a past but all sinners can have a future.

So we all need to be good witnesses to God’s compassion for the lost and draw people to Jesus by our acts of love and kindness; our sincerity and generosity. Let us welcome into our church meetings those people who need God’s grace; the prostitutes, drug addicts and drunks as well as professional people with money and status. And let us love with all our hearts those who he has put us with in our church families and neighbourhoods.

There may be little obvious difference on the outside between Christians and good kind non Christians but God sees the heart, and the fruit we manifest in our lives is the fruit of the Spirit of God so therefore it is supernatural and so must have a great impact.

Galatians 5:22-26
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.”

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Being witnesses is an interesting one. What are we witnesses to is the question?
Are we witnesses to an arbitrary God? if so, how does this differ to the many gods the world considers worthy of worship?
Are we witness to ourselves....if so, how are we then witnesses to/of God?

Are we Jehovah's witnesses? hmmmm, so far I haven't met anyone who claims that title who has been able to tell me anything about Jehovah that draws me to him.

What did the disciples see that shifted their collective cowardice to boldness......what was their witness?.....annnnd, what does the Spirit witness to?......which tells me, those who have the Spirit will have the same witness?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We are witnesses to God love and goodness, We represent him in our homes and communities. People who know we are Christian will judge us on the way we live our lives.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We are witnesses to God love and goodness, We represent him in our homes and communities. People who know we are Christian will judge us on the way we live our lives.
People judged the disciples this way....they executed them. Did they live poor lives?

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are we witnesses to is the question? ... What did the disciples see that shifted their collective cowardice to boldness......what was their witness?.....annnnd, what does the Spirit witness to?......which tells me, those who have the Spirit will have the same witness?
All right. That's a fair question.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, in Pearl's defense...

I ran across this quote: "I can't believe what you say, because I see what you do." (James Baldwin)

I think this is one of the reasons Jesus told us to "Let your light so shine before men that they see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven."

Last edited:
Reactions: Cassandra and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Now, in Pearl's defense...

I ran across this quote: "I can't believe what you say, because I see what you do." (James Baldwin)

I think this is one of the reasons Jesus told us to "Let your light so shine before men that they see our good works and glorify your Father in Heaven."
Exactly.

Reactions: Lambano

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In this particular world of internet communications one can claim any piety which cannot be verified or unverified ...so we surround ourselves with this seemingly impenetrable barrier.
What we can however decipher is the nature and direction of ones words......are we strutters projecting what ever image we think is required of us by others or ourselves or are we the genuine article ie, people with integrity?

Reactions: Lambano

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our witness lies not only in what we say but how we are as well. People notice things like hypocrisy and back-biting. We like our cosy gatherings where every one is well dressed and polite; where we can feel holy, calm and peaceful in the presence of the Lord. But the purpose of the church is not to provide a social network for ‘good’ people but to reach out to those still in their sin. All saints have a past but all sinners can have a future.

So we all need to be good witnesses to God’s compassion for the lost and draw people to Jesus by our acts of love and kindness; our sincerity and generosity. Let us welcome into our church meetings those people who need God’s grace; the prostitutes, drug addicts and drunks as well as professional people with money and status. And let us love with all our hearts those who he has put us with in our church families and neighbourhoods.

There may be little obvious difference on the outside between Christians and good kind non Christians but God sees the heart, and the fruit we manifest in our lives is the fruit of the Spirit of God so therefore it is supernatural and so must have a great impact.

Galatians 5:22-26
“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.”

As Love waxes cold in this day and age our testimony of the Love of God will become more powerful than the "good kind non Christian". When faced with adversity such as famine that "good kind non-christian" outer conviction will fail them as their inner motives and heart come to the surface, a heart of selfishness, greed, envy, hatred, etc. The Christian whose heart has been transformed by the work of the Spirit will continue to love as it is God's love that flows through them and is perfected in them.

This is a very timely message for today, and the near future, as you will begin to see that the heart of man is deceitfully wicked (Jeremiah 17:9) At that time, the True Christian will be a lighthouse on the coast of a stormy sea.

God Bless.

Reactions: Pearl and Lambano

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
274884750_10158768720706404_4234166330034616022_n.jpg