1 Corinthians 2 is so abused

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor 2 is so abused.
The natural man and the spiritual man? Paul is contrasting those who follow after the enticing words of mans wisdom, wisdom of men, wisdom of the world. (Natural man)These are all phrases used by Paul.
To the man who follows after the direction of the Spirit.
It’s as simple as that. So, we can choose to follow after mans wisdom and be natural or we can read, study and apply what the HS has provided and become spiritual. The HS does not have to miraculously, apart from the word, operate on you to make you then spiritual so you can now understand God. That is completely false. Let’s look at some verses....

1 Corinthians 2:9-16 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
It is not in man to direct his own steps. Jer 10:23. We need guidance and God has provided that. Through his written revealed will.

But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
How has God revealed his way to man? Through the Spirit. Who gave us the Bible? The Spirit. This is the medium in which God has now chosen to reveal himself to man through the Spirit.
He also says that I can’t know what’s in your mind unless you tell me. Likewise, we can’t know what’s in Gods mind unless he tells us. He has done that today through the Bible.

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
How do we Know the things given to us by God? Through the Spirit given word of God.

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
How does one compare spiritual with spiritual today? Through the Bible. When you tell me you got on your knees and prayed to God for forgiveness and at that moment you were born again, I know you are natural and have followed mans wisdom, because the Spirit never told anybody nor did the Spirit give an example in his word of anybody doing that for salvation. Plus, it completely contradicts what the Spirit has told us to do in order to be saved. Also when I see women preachers like Joyce I know they are following their own desires and mans wisdom because the Spirit filled word speaks plainly against this practice.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
See, the natural man above, praying for salvation, did not receive that from the Spirit and when I point that out he thinks I’m foolish because you CANNOT be spiritual following the wisdom of man. This individual cannot go to Gods word and say see...I did exactly what the Spirit gave an example of or what he told me to do, because NOBODY was ever told to pray for salvation and there are no divine examples of this happening under the new covenant.

But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.
the only way to have the mind of Christ is to align your way of thinking to what has been revealed in his book.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
How has God revealed his way to man? Through the Spirit. Who gave us the Bible? The Spirit. This is the medium in which God has now chosen to reveal himself to man through the Spirit.
He also says that I can’t know what’s in your mind unless you tell me. Likewise, we can’t know what’s in Gods mind unless he tells us. He has done that today through the Bible.
This is good to a point, but does not include "all truth" via the Holy Spirit promised as by Christ. The common argument to this is that "all truth" was limited to and given only to the apostles, and that it is "all" now written in the bible. Except that what is written in the New Testament does not give answers to "all truth."

Thus, the "all is written in the Bible" explanation is grossly in error. What is missing, is not an explanation of how to attain "all truth" through what is written...but rather, how to attain "all truth" through the means described in the written word via the Holy Spirit alone. This transition and explanation began when Jesus Himself (the Word) departed from the written word to say, "My words are spirit", followed by His promise - not to send more written words - but to send "another" [Helper] other than the written word.

This transition is literally what was to occur when Jesus said, "follow Me." In other words, He was not saying, "Follow me as a man follows a man, but follow Me as I go to our Father in heaven, whom "is spirit."

But like Israel wanting to return to Egypt rather than entering the promised land, for the most part men have not followed Jesus in the way He went, but have returned to the Egypt of the written word and the former things of religious men. And this they did, even after being counseled by Paul to "leave behind the elementary principles of Christ."

Last edited:

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is good to a point, but does not include "all truth" via the Holy Spirit promised as by Christ. The common argument to this is that "all truth" was limited to and given only to the apostles, and that it is "all" now written in the bible. Except that what is written in the New Testament does not give answers to "all truth."

Thus, the "all is written in the Bible" explanation is grossly in error. What is missing, is not an explanation of how to attain "all truth" through what is written...but rather, how to attain "all truth" through the means described in the written word via the Holy Spirit alone. This transition and explanation began when Jesus Himself (the Word) departed from the written word to say, "My words are spirit", followed by His promise - not to send more written words - but to send "another" [Helper] other than the written word.

This transition is literally what was to occur when Jesus said, "follow Me." In other words, He was not saying, "Follow me as a man follows a man, but follow Me as I go to our Father in heaven, whom "is spirit."

But like Israel wanting to return to Egypt rather than entering the promised land, for the most part men have not followed Jesus in the way He went, but have returned to the Egypt of the written word and the former things of religious men. And this they did, even after being counseled by Paul to "leave behind the elementary principles of Christ."
The promise to send the comforter or helper was made only to the apostles. That promise was fulfilled.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The promise to send the comforter or helper was made only to the apostles. That promise was fulfilled.

What do you mean? Have I misunderstood? “The promise to send the comforter or helper was made only to the apostles.” Are you saying His disciples are not given the comforter or helper and that also was only for then and fulfilled...and not for today?

John 15:26
[26] But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

1 John 4:6
[6] We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you mean? Have I misunderstood? “The promise to send the comforter or helper was made only to the apostles.” Are you saying His disciples are not given the comforter or helper and that also was only for then and fulfilled...and not for today?

[26] But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:
Yes. John 13-16 is the last supper with his 12 disciples. He promised them the HS and then on Pentecost the HS was given to them. They had the power to lay hands on people to impart spiritual gifts. So other disciples in the first century had certain gifts given to them by the apostles.

[6] We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
In 1 Jn 4 we see this....
1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

How are we, today, supposed to try the Spirits? You don’t have miraculous understanding and confirming power. The only way is to compare what people preach and practice to what the Spirit given word says. I use Joyce Meyer as an example. The HS tells us she should not be preaching and usurping authority over the man in her assembly. But she does. So I know that what she is doing is not from the Spirit even though I saw her say that God put it on her heart to go preach. If she is right then God is the author of confusion.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. John 13-16 is the last supper with his 12 disciples. He promised them the HS and then on Pentecost the HS was given to them. They had the power to lay hands on people to impart spiritual gifts. So other disciples in the first century had certain gifts given to them by the apostles.

Revelation 3:20
[20] Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Reactions: aspen

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 3:20
[20] Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Don’t know what you are trying to say but in the context of Rev 3:20 jesus is speaking to the church of Laodicea. In vs 19 he told them to repent and then in vs 20 he is letting them know that he is ready and able to forgive if they will only repent. In the broader context the same principle applies to every one. One first has to hear the voice of Jesus which comes through the book he has left us and then be obedient to that word and he will forgive.
Heb 5:9 tells us he is the author of eternal salvation to all that OBEY him.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don’t know what you are trying to say but in the context of Rev 3:20 jesus is speaking to the church of Laodicea. In vs 19 he told them to repent and then in vs 20 he is letting them know that he is ready and able to forgive if they will only repent. In the broader context the same principle applies to every one. One first has to hear the voice of Jesus which comes through the book he has left us and then be obedient to that word and he will forgive.
Heb 5:9 tells us he is the author of eternal salvation to all that OBEY him.

You brought up the last supper. And admit “the same principles apply to everyone” here in Revelation 3:20 He speaks to the individual and says He will come in and sup with him, and he with Christ. Does that apply to everyone? That He will come in and sup with them? What does “sup” mean?

Luke 22:18
[18] For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

“Fruit of the vine”... is there fruit of the vine that others drink of today, fruit of the kingdom of God among men? Galatians 5:22-23
[22] But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, [23] Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Or is the fruit of the vine which is Christ for yet tomorrow...while we wait for a Kingdom that is already in our midst? I’m trying to grasp still if I’ve misunderstood you in saying the promise of the comforter was only for the Apostles and was already fulfilled. Do you have the Spirit of Truth in you? Do you have the Holy Spirit inside you? Then you have the comforter. the comforter who was to come and guide the children of God in all truth and to put them in remembrance?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

You will wear yourself out long before he will.

Calvinists and Ceasationists are always "on a mission" ...don't waste you breath.
They are rooted in believing what they do.

But you call...but opt out if you find yourself getting frustrated.

Bless you...Helen

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor 2 is so abused.
The natural man and the spiritual man? Paul is contrasting those who follow after the enticing words of mans wisdom, wisdom of men, wisdom of the world. (Natural man)These are all phrases used by Paul.
It’s as simple as that. So, we can choose to follow after mans wisdom and be natural or we can read, study and apply what the HS has provided and become spiritual. The HS does not have to miraculously, apart from the word, operate on you to make you then spiritual so you can now understand God. That is completely false. Let’s look at some verses....

1 Corinthians 2:9-16 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
It is not in man to direct his own steps. Jer 10:23. We need guidance and God has provided that. Through his written revealed will.

Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
How do we Know the things given to us by God? Through the Spirit given word of God.

Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
How does one compare spiritual with spiritual today? Through the Bible. When you tell me you got on your knees and prayed to God for forgiveness and at that moment you were born again, I know you are natural and have followed mans wisdom, because the Spirit never told anybody nor did the Spirit give an example in his word of anybody doing that for salvation. Plus, it completely contradicts what the Spirit has told us to do in order to be saved. Also when I see women preachers like Joyce I know they are following their own desires and mans wisdom because the Spirit filled word speaks plainly against this practice.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
See, the natural man above, praying for salvation, did not receive that from the Spirit and when I point that out he thinks I’m foolish because you CANNOT be spiritual following the wisdom of man. This individual cannot go to Gods word and say see...I did exactly what the Spirit gave an example of or what he told me to do, because NOBODY was ever told to pray for salvation and there are no divine examples of this happening under the new covenant.

But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man. For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.
the only way to have the mind of Christ is to align your way of thinking to what has been revealed in his book.
On the contrary, Jesus said this:
John 14[23] Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

John 16[13] Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
The only way to have the mind of Christ, is to be born again of His Holy Spirit. Which is what the two verse I quoted reveal.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On the contrary, Jesus said this:
John 14[23] Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

John 16[13] Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
The only way to have the mind of Christ, is to be born again of His Holy Spirit. Which is what the two verse I quoted reveal.
The question in your first verse...is how does the father and son make their abode with this individual? Personally or representatively? I do not think deity lives in the individual. I believe that deity resides in a person who allows the words to guide their life. When one reads and studies and allows the message to direct their life then they can say that God, Jesus, HS is indwelling them.

As for your second verse....that was a promise made directly to the 12, it was not made to you and I. But when we read and are guided by what they wrote we too can say we are guided into all truth.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That does not reconcile with "He gave gifts to men" only part of which were "some apostles."

Only considering part of the word of truth, has caused you to greatly error.

Last edited:

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That does not reconcile with "He gave gifts to men" only part of which were "some apostles."

Only considering part of the word of truth, has caused you to greatly error.
The promise to send the comforter was only to the apostles. Yes or no. If you say no then please explain who he was talking to in Jn 13-16

What could the apostles do? Impart spiritual gifts. Prophets, evangelist, teachers, elders in the first century would have had spiritual gifts. They would not even be able to teach, prophecy, evangelize without them. They didn’t have a NT. How would they know about the church, it’s organization, it’s doctrine, it’s practice?

Eph 4:13 puts a timeline on these “gifts”.
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
This is a parallel passage to 1 Cor 13:8-12
These “gifts” were temporary and would go away when Gods complete or perfect as it says revelation was finished.
So, yes it is completely reconciled. At least to someone who is not so blind that they cannot see.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The promise to send the comforter was only to the apostles. Yes or no. If you say no then please explain who he was talking to in Jn 13-16

What could the apostles do? Impart spiritual gifts. Prophets, evangelist, teachers, elders in the first century would have had spiritual gifts. They would not even be able to teach, prophecy, evangelize without them. They didn’t have a NT. How would they know about the church, it’s organization, it’s doctrine, it’s practice?

John 14:13-18
[13] And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. [14] If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. [15] If ye love me, keep my commandments. [16] And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; [17] Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. [18] I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

So what you are saying is “whatsoever you ask in my name” was only to the apostles? As the Spirit of Truth also? So there is no Spirit of Truth or comforter given to God’s people but is all external or outward by reading a bible...God does not abide in with His Children? There doesn’t have to be the Holy Spirit which is the comforter within a person To Spiritually discern the word?

Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Hebrews 11:9-10 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: [10] For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

Ephesians 2:19-22 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; [20] And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone ; [21] In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: [22] In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

“Grows” builded together ...a Holy Temple...for an habitation of God through the Spirit. IS til we come in unity unto a perfect Man with Christ as the Head.
Ephesians 2:15
[15] Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

What you are proposing is there is no more building up the temple of God. No more adding to till the full measure of Christ? That there is no need for the comforter or gifts for edification of this Perfect man built up in Christ? The temple of God.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

This is a parallel passage to 1 Cor 13:8-12
These “gifts” were temporary and would go away when Gods complete or perfect as it says revelation was finished.
So, yes it is completely reconciled. At least to someone who is not so blind that they cannot see.

John 7:38
[38] He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

What is the Living water if not Life;the Spirit of God?

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor 2 is so abused.
It’s as simple as that. So, we can choose to follow after mans wisdom and be natural or we can read, study and apply what the HS has provided and become spiritual.

Agree.

The HS does not have to miraculously, apart from the word, operate on you to make you then spiritual so you can now understand God.

Operate/Surgery, No.
Circumcise the Heart, Yes, BEFORE one is Given the the Understanding of Gods Word.

That is completely false.

Disagree.

Let’s look at some verses....

Mark 16
[17] And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Luke 24
[45] Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

Glory to God,
Taken

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 14:13-18
[13] And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. [14] If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it. [15] If ye love me, keep my commandments. [16] And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; [17] Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. [18] I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

So what you are saying is “whatsoever you ask in my name” was only to the apostles? As the Spirit of Truth also?
Yes within the context of John 14 that was spoken directly to the apostles. Who else was it spoken to? You know you can’t ask whatsoever you want in the name of Christ and get it. The apostles were gonna have a job to do.

So there is no Spirit of Truth or comforter given to God’s people but is all external or outward by reading a bible...God does not abide in with His Children? There doesn’t have to be the Holy Spirit which is the comforter within a person To Spiritually discern the word?
They were guided into all truth by the Spirit directly. We are guided into all truth when we read and apply what they wrote. Through some of your post you are proving that you are not being guided into all truth.

Hebrews 11:9-10 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: [10] For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

Ephesians 2:19-22 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God; [20] And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone ; [21] In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: [22] In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

“Grows” builded together ...a Holy Temple...for an habitation of God through the Spirit. IS til we come in unity unto a perfect Man with Christ as the Head.
Ephesians 2:15
[15] Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

What you are proposing is there is no more building up the temple of God. No more adding to till the full measure of Christ? That there is no need for the comforter or gifts for edification of this Perfect man built up in Christ? The temple of God.
The temple is the church and the members are lively stones so yes by converting souls the temple, which is the church, grows. How does the Spirit accomplish that today? Through his word he has given us. Paul lays out the pattern to salvation in Rom 10:13-15 and he said it starts with a preacher preaching the word and the subject hearing and believing the message then calling on the name of the lord. No Spirit directly working on the subject.
And no there are no more spiritual gifts to help edify the church. We don’t need them today. We have the total revealed will of God.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 7:38
[38] He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

What is the Living water if not Life;the Spirit of God?
I believe this is parallel with Mk 16:17-20 The Spirit literally did flow out of believers in the early church through the laying on of hands of an apostle. How could they worship, evangelize and go about their business without it? They didn’t have the written word as we do.

CNKW3

May 7, 2019
Southeast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree.

Operate/Surgery, No.
Circumcise the Heart, Yes, BEFORE one is Given the the Understanding of Gods Word.

Disagree.

Mark 16
[17] And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Luke 24
[45] Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

Glory to God,
Taken
Your posting passages dealing with apostles. Of course they had the direct operation of the Spirit. We don’t.
We don’t need to be given the ability to understand. We already posses it. Paul said...
Ephesians 3:3-4 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Do I believe Paul or do I believe you?

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor 2 is so abused.

How do we Know the things given to us by God? Through the Spirit given word of God...

Hello CNKW,
Welcome to the forum, if I have not already done that, lol.
Very good post. Much to think about. Thank you!
In Him,
nancy