#1, so spirit may be save

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
I would like to ask you bible questions bits and bits.1 Corinthians 5:1-5 (New International Version) 1 Corinthians 5Expel the Immoral Brother! 1It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that does not occur even among pagans: A man has his father's wife. 2And you are proud! Shouldn't you rather have been filled with grief and have put out of your fellowship the man who did this? 3Even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. And I have already passed judgment on the one who did this, just as if I were present. 4When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature[a] may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord.Why did Paul say "so spirit may be saved?"thank you, hitomi

Wakka

Jun 4, 2007
I think he is referring to how man is nothing without God being there to help them.

Faithful

Jul 13, 2007
:angel9:
smile.gif

1 Corinthians 5:1-5 (King James Version) 1.It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife. 2.And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you. 3.For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed, 4.In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ, 5.To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
Paul was speaking about life amongst the believers and the truth is in Christ we are all one. However this man was the following the flesh and not the Spirit. It was therefore right to cast him out to live in the flesh that the body of Christ the believers should be saved who rather than condemning had accepted this mans actions amongst them. They had become proud of what they should of been ashamed of. By casting them out they were casting the flesh and Satan out from amongst the group so they would not be condemned for it in the day of the Lord because they had cast this man out.Faithful.xx

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
Faithful,I thought Paul was talking about this man's soul may be saved instead of congregation's.

Carico

Aug 13, 2007
(Faithful1;15215)
I would like to ask you bible questions bits and bits.1 Corinthians 5:1-5 (New International Version) 1 Corinthians 5Expel the Immoral Brother! 1It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that does not occur even among pagans: A man has his father's wife. 2And you are proud! Shouldn't you rather have been filled with grief and have put out of your fellowship the man who did this? 3Even though I am not physically present, I am with you in spirit. And I have already passed judgment on the one who did this, just as if I were present. 4When you are assembled in the name of our Lord Jesus and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5hand this man over to Satan, so that the sinful nature[a] may be destroyed and his spirit saved on the day of the Lord.Why did Paul say "so spirit may be saved?"thank you, hitomi
Because if he has the Holy Spirit, then he will repent. If he doesn't have the Holy Spirit, then sending him out of the church could cause enogh anguish to lead him to repent. "God disciplines those he loves."
smile.gif

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Paul is going to point out in this chapter that there is a Spiritual line that every Christian must determine, for there is no set rule, but each of us has to determine that line of association. Then once we establish that line within our own conscience it should direct us as to what is right or against God's laws. I Corinthians 5:1 "It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife."Paul is telling these Christians of the church of Corinth that he doesn't have to spell out the details of the incest that is going on amongst them, for it is common knowledge to all in that church. There is a commonly known incestuous affair going on in your church, so great that even the Gentiles world look down on such a thing. It is going on right in your church house. I Corinthians 5:2 "And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you."You are "puffed up", or in the Greek tongue it is "phusioo", meaning inflated to where you are boastful. This is where discernment must come into your congregation, so that you do not over-rule those amongst you. This has to do with association. The Corinthians are allowing this man that is taking advantage of his own father's wife, his mother and the church continues to associate with him in their church. The Corinthians are carrying on like there is nothing happening in that relationship. They are living in a self-righteous mode, and turning their heads to the evil that is in their midst. Everybody sins and falls short from time to time, but this is not in reference to those types of sins that are committed in ignorance or when one loses his self control. That is covered by the freedom that we have in Christ when we repent in Jesus name for those sins and get our selves right before the Lord. However this is going on and there is no sign of repentance, or that it is even recognized as being a sin. Paul has just told us that we should not judge anyone, and that judging was in reference to those out of the church, for they don't know any better. However, when it comes to those that are within the church body itself, then it is a different matter. The line of discipline is at the church house door, for those that cross that line and come into the church and claim the name of Jesus and declare themselves to be of Christ, it becomes a matter responsibility to the body of Christ. This man taking part in the incest has crossed that line, he has declared himself to be of Christ, and yet he is carrying on in an incestuous affair with his own mother or step mother. He has over stepped the bounds of the body of Christ; now what should be done with him?I Corinthians 5:3 "For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,"Paul is telling the Corinthians that even though he is not there with them, this is what should be done with this incestuous person. I don't have to be there to see it for myself to know what should be done, for common sense should dictate to you what you must do. I Corinthians 5:4 "In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,"When you are gathered together in the congregation, and it is obvious that God is with me, and His Spirit is guiding me;I Corinthians 5:5 "To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus."This person and the sins that he is committing could be enough to take down the entire church. There are two ways that we sin, by Satan tempting us, and by our own choices. When we fall into those traps of sin it is time for our repentance for those sins. However, when one desires to continue in their sins, it is time to make the separation of them from the main congregation. This is one of the most serious laws of all the commandments, and even Satan's children know the affects of sexual relations within the immediate blood family. When it happens it needs to be dealt with immediately for the example to be set and a standard within the entire congregation. This man needs help, and Paul is saying to the Corinthians that the church should put him out of the congregation. Turn him over to Satan and don't protect him within the congregation. In today's terms, it is letting him go until he reaches the bottom of the gutter, then he may see his error, repent for his sins in Jesus name, and seek to get right with God. The man won't change until he has hit the bottom, and surrendered himself from those sins. He must reach the point of wanting to straighten his own life out before it will happen. At the same time it is important that he does not contaminate the entire church while he is playing church. Sure you can shield the man and his mother and pretend that the problem doesn't exist, but no one can be helped until they desire it for themselves. Then when they ask, the help will come for them. The reason that Paul is telling them to turn him over to Satan, is that the man hast of learn for himself the depths of his sin, and he must want to be saved before he can be helped.