10 different NT warning-types against eternal security

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In the NT, there is a wide variety of warning-types against eternal security.
After all, variety is the spice of life!
Please forgive me for only posting one example for each warning-type.

Warnings about losing eternal life
Luke 9:23-25 ● “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself,
and take up his cross daily,
and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will
lose it (eternal life), but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it. For what profit
is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost (eternally)?”

Warnings about gaining eternal death
Romans 6:16-23 ● “… you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether (slaves)
of sin leading to (eternal) death, or (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness”

Warnings about being shut out of the kingdom of God
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ● “Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit
the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters,
nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous,
nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.”

Warnings about being shut out of the New Jerusalem
Revelation 22:14-15 ● “Blessed are those who do His commandments,
that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through
the gates of the city. But outside are the dogs and sorcerers and sexually
immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.”

Warnings about being blotted out of the Book of Life
Revelation 3:5 ● “He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments,
and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life”

Please note: the “overcomer” of 1 John 5:4-5 only overcomes “the world”,
which is the world of unbelievers in John’s writings!

Warnings about NOT being an overcomer
Revelation 21:7-8 ● “He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his
God and he will be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers,
sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the
lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Please note: in Revelation 3:21, Jesus defines who an “overcomer” is!

Warnings in conditional “IF” verses
1 Corinthians 15:1-2 ● “Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel
… by which you are saved, IF you hold fast that word which I preached to you
unless you believed in vain.”

Warnings about failing to remain in Jesus and produce fruit
John 15:1-10 ● “I am the true grapevine, and My Father is the gardener.
He (Father God) cuts off every branch of Mine (Jesus) that doesn’t produce fruit,
… Anyone who does not remain in Me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned.”

Warnings about not loving and obeying Jesus
John 14:15-23 ● “If you love Me, keep My commandments …
He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me
… If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him,
and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
He who does not love Me does not keep My words”

Who gets into heaven who does NOT love Jesus?

Warnings about falling away from the faith
Hebrews 10:36-39 ● “ ‘Now the just shall live by faith;
but IF anyone draws back, My soul has no pleasure in him.’
But we are not of those who draw back to perdition”

Reactions: Taken and bbyrd009

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am sorry you believe that you have to work inorder to deserve salvation.

Jesus himself said that no one can snatch us out of his hand. Clearly you believe that a backsliding christian is more powerefull than the Son of God.

Paul taught that 'Nothing in All creation is powerful enough to separaet us from the Love of God', except Paul knew nothing about the power of a backsliding Christian.

Your verse can all be understood either as a challenge to nonchristians or as a challenge to Christians to live the life they profess.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2Co 5:17, Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Phl 2:13, For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

Eze 36:25, Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you.
Eze 36:26, A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
Eze 36:27, And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

The warnings given to people against falling away are concerning things that a born again Christian will not do anyway. Those who are born again are sealed by the Holy Spirit and are influenced by Him in their every behaviour.

If anyone thinks that they are a believer in Christ, and yet does any of the things that are warned against concerning falling away (in the OP) then they ought to question as to whether they are truly in the faith.

If we really believe, then we abide.

And those who abide live according to the virtues that are exemplified to us in holy scripture. Not because they are saved by that virtue; but it is that they are saved unto that virtue. If anyone does not exemplify that virtue in their own life, they ought to question as to whether they are truly in the faith:

2Co 13:5, Examine yourselves, whether ye be in the faith; prove your own selves. Know ye not your own selves, how that Jesus Christ is in you, except ye be reprobates?

A reprobate is someone who had a lukewarm, nominal, or shallow faith and actually lived it for a season; but then fell backwards and began to live according to the vices that are warned against in holy scripture. If they return to the Lord in full force then they were merely backslidden. But if they never return to the Lord, it should be clear that they fell away from the faith; it was simply impossible that they should come to repentance: for if it had been possible, they would have returned to the household of their Father, saying, "I have sinned against heaven and against You; make me one of your hired servants." The parable of the prodigal sin was given for the sake of those who think that they have fallen away from the faith and can never return; when in reality they are merely backslidden.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am sorry you believe that you have to work in order to deserve salvation.
Are you serious, or is this some kind of sad joke?

Perhaps, you're not aware of all of James' teachings on:
"faith without works is dead".

Paul wrote,
"Work out your salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12)
(And there are many other "fear God" NT verses!)
Was he not writing to those who were in a state of grace?
Was he not exhorting them to continue, else they would fall?
Fall where? ... from never being born-again?

Last edited:
Reactions: Taken and amadeus

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But of them that believe unto the saving of the soul.
No need to add the last part of Hebrews 10:39.

(1) Some believers ("those") obviously had drawn back to perdition.
They had NOT drawn back from unbelief and an unsaved state.

(2) Paul had absolutely NO idea IF any of his buddies would fall away.
Don't you realize what an unbridled edifier, exhorter, encourager, etc. Paul was?

Last edited:

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Would any of you care to see 10 more of these
NT warning-types that refute eternal security?
Or have you had enough?

Please note: BACs can have eternal security,
if they have the correct and acceptable heart attitude towards the Lord
... if they are seriously following Jesus and His commandments
... if they are repenting when they slip up, etc.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm talking about YOU adding it to the passage in the OP ... ridiculous waste of time.

Do you want to see 10 more, or have you seen enough?
None of the warnings have any effect on my belief in eternal security; because I believe that the following is the condition of the true believer:

1Jo 3:6, Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.

1Jo 2:17, And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
None of the warnings have any effect on my belief in eternal security; because I believe that the following is the condition of the true believer:
1Jo 3:6, Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
1Jo 2:17, And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.
How ludicrous! ... A BAC is NOT automatically a true believer.
The warnings are for BACs to make sure they are true believers, or stay true believers.
In John 15, Jesus warns those "in Him" to keep abiding in Him, or else.
All of the warnings are for those who are NOT doing the will of God.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the NT, there is a wide variety of warning-types against eternal security.
After all, variety is the spice of life!
Please forgive me for only posting one example for each warning-type.

Warnings about losing eternal life
Luke 9:23-25 ● “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself,
and take up his cross daily,
and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will
lose it (eternal life), but whoever loses his life for My sake will save it. For what profit
is it to a man if he gains the whole world, and is himself destroyed or lost (eternally)?”

Warnings about gaining eternal death
Romans 6:16-23 ● “… you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether (slaves)
of sin leading to (eternal) death, or (slaves) of obedience leading to righteousness”

Warnings about being shut out of the kingdom of God
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 ● “Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit
the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters,
nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous,
nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.”

Warnings about being shut out of the New Jerusalem
Revelation 22:14-15 ● “Blessed are those who do His commandments,
that they may have the right to the tree of life, and may enter through
the gates of the city. But outside are the dogs and sorcerers and sexually
immoral and murderers and idolaters, and whoever loves and practices a lie.”

Warnings about being blotted out of the Book of Life
Revelation 3:5 ● “He who overcomes shall be clothed in white garments,
and I will not blot out his name from the Book of Life”

Please note: the “overcomer” of 1 John 5:4-5 only overcomes “the world”,
which is the world of unbelievers in John’s writings!

Warnings about NOT being an overcomer
Revelation 21:7-8 ● “He who overcomes shall inherit all things, and I will be his
God and he will be My son. But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers,
sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the
lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Please note: in Revelation 3:21, Jesus defines who an “overcomer” is!

Warnings in conditional “IF” verses
1 Corinthians 15:1-2 ● “Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel
… by which you are saved, IF you hold fast that word which I preached to you
unless you believed in vain.”

Warnings about failing to remain in Jesus and produce fruit
John 15:1-10 ● “I am the true grapevine, and My Father is the gardener.
He (Father God) cuts off every branch of Mine (Jesus) that doesn’t produce fruit,
… Anyone who does not remain in Me is thrown away like a useless branch and withers. Such branches are gathered into a pile to be burned.”

Warnings about not loving and obeying Jesus
John 14:15-23 ● “If you love Me, keep My commandments …
He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me
… If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him,
and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
He who does not love Me does not keep My words”

Who gets into heaven who does NOT love Jesus?

Warnings about falling away from the faith
Hebrews 10:36-39 ● “ ‘Now the just shall live by faith;
but IF anyone draws back, My soul has no pleasure in him.’
But we are not of those who draw back to perdition”

Genesis 4:7
“If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up? And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it.”

Luke 14:26-27
“If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple. Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple.”

Matthew 7:13-14
“Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life, and there are few who find it.”

Hebrews 6:4-8
“For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come. and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame. For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; 8 but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned.”

Hebrews 10: 26-31
“For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”

Matthew 12:36 “But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.”

Matthew 5:27-28 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery’; but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.”

Mathew 5:31:32 “Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven. Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

1st John 5:16 If anyone sees his brother commit a sin that does not lead to death, he should pray and God will give him life. I refer to those whose sin does not lead to death. There is a sin that leads to death.

Roman 1:32 “Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.”

1Jn:3:8: “He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.”

James 1:15 “Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.”

1st John:3:4: “Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.”

1st Corinthians 6:9-10
“Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.”

Few are those that find it...144,000 are mentioned in Revelation, but all are Jews and the word Christian does not appear in Revelation.....?

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would remind everyone of the three specific verses on eternal security that are most often quoted; which must be integrated into our theology as holy scriptural truth:

Jhn 5:24, Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Believing in Him who sent the Lord after hearing His word, will have the effect of 1) the person shall not come into condemnation, 2) they have passed from death into everlasting life; and, 3) they currently have everlasting life.

Jhn 6:47, Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.

Whoever believes on Jesus Christ currently has everlasting life; and the nature of everlasting life is that it will never come to an end. And therefore, if the life spoken of is salvation, salvation cannot be lost; because if salvation is lost then the life is lost and therefore came to an end; and therefore the nature of the life being spoken of was not everlasting but temporal. Yet the promise of the Lord is that we shall have everlasting life.

Jhn 10:27, My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Jhn 10:28, And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
Jhn 10:29, My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
Jhn 10:30, I and my Father are one.

There is a threefold assurance here: 1) there is eternal life; which again, exists throughout eternity; and, 2) they shall never perish; and, 3) no one can pluck them out of God's hand.

With 3), there is often an objection made, that a person can walk away themselves. I will say that if the fear of the LORD is not present, this is possible. However, if you do have the fear of the LORD, it is an everlasting fear (Psalms 19:9); and it will also serve to keep you so that you don't walk away from Him (Jeremiah 32:38-40 (kjv)).

I will mention also that the promise is given to Jesus' sheep, whom Jesus knows; and that therefore, if someone is a worker of iniquity, he cannot presume to think that he is a recipient of this threefold assurance/promise. For it is written that Jesus said,

Mat 7:23, And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How ludicrous! ... A BAC is NOT automatically a true believer.
A Born Again Christian is a new creature in Christ; and is automatically a true believer, if he is truly born again.

I think that you are using the term BAC too loosely.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 6:4-8
“For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come. and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame. For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; 8 but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned.”

Hebrews 10: 26-31
“For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”

Psa 31:22, For I said in my haste, I am cut off from before thine eyes: nevertheless thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried unto thee.

Job 14:7, For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:8, Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground;
Job 14:9, Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.

Psa 23:3, He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Luk 1:37, For with God nothing shall be impossible.

Mat 19:26, But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Mar 10:27, And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Luk 18:27, And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

There are those who think they are fallen away who are merely backslidden; and these verses are for them.

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jhn 10:27, My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
Jhn 10:28, And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish,
neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
Jhn 10:29, My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all;
and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
This is WAY beyond ludicrous!
The promises above are only for
BACs who qualify via John 10:27

-- those who hear Jesus voice!
-- those who Jesus knows!
-- those who follow Jesus!
Do you understand what these 3 mean?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is WAY beyond ludicrous!
This promise is only for BACs who qualify via John 10:27,
-- those who hear Jesus voice!
-- those who Jesus knows!
-- those who follow Jesus!
(Do you know what these 3 mean?)
Evidently you didn't read my whole post. Proverbs 18:13 might be a word of wisdom for you.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will mention also that the promise is given to Jesus' sheep, whom Jesus knows; and that therefore, if someone is a worker of iniquity, he cannot presume to think that he is a recipient of this threefold assurance/promise. For it is written that Jesus said,

Mat 7:23, And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you serious, or is this some kind of sad joke?

Perhaps, you're not aware of all of James' teachings on:
"faith without works is dead".

Paul wrote,
"Work out your salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12)
(And there are many other "fear God" NT verses!)
Was he not writing to those who were in a state of grace?
Was he not exhorting them to continue, else they would fall?
Fall where? ... from never being born-again?
Unfortunately my friend many people today, and some on this forum, have claimed their salvation and believe, or at least say they believe, that nothing they can do will cause them to lose it. In this of course they make God a respecter of persons as they effectively are saying He gave them an opportunity that He did not give to Adam and Eve nor to the multitudes who lived and died under the laws given to the OT writers and prophets.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psa 31:22, For I said in my haste, I am cut off from before thine eyes: nevertheless thou heardest the voice of my supplications when I cried unto thee.

Job 14:7, For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease.
Job 14:8, Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground;
Job 14:9, Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.

Psa 23:3, He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

Luk 1:37, For with God nothing shall be impossible.

Mat 19:26, But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Mar 10:27, And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible.

Luk 18:27, And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God.

There are those who think they are fallen away who are merely backslidden; and these verses are for them.

Hey buddy having fun! lol