1Peter 3:18

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some say Jesus Christ was raised with the very same body in which he was crucified, and that fact sets the pattern for all the other dead who are to be resurrected. And Jesus now has that same body in heaven to which he ascended.’ These people have been taught this in the churches that they attend. But does the apostle Peter agree with that? In 1 Peter 3:18, 19 it says, according to The New English Bible of 1961: “For Christ also died for our sins once for all. He, the just, suffered for the unjust, to bring us to God. In the body he was put to death; in the spirit he was brought to life. And in the spirit he went and made his proclamation to the imprisoned spirits.” Other modern translations of 1 Peter 3:18, 19 read similarly. The apostle Peter was saying that Jesus was not resurrected with a human body. The apostle Peter explains that Jesus “was put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit.” (1 Peter 3:18) Jesus was brought back to life as a powerful spirit person! (1 Corinthians 15:3-6)

Since Peter was saying that Jesus’ was resurrected “in the spirit.” This explains why on the resurrection morning when God’s angel rolled the stone from the door of the tomb the soldier guards did not see Jesus rise from the dead and come out, although they did see the materialized angel sitting on the stone. (Matthew 28:1-4) This also explains why, when the resurrected Jesus met two disciples walking that day to Emmaus and went along with them and started to take supper with them, they did not know him until he began to serve the bread; and then he disappeared from them. (Luke 24:13-35)

This explains why, when the apostles and other disciples were met together in Jerusalem behind closed doors for fear of the fanatical Jews, Jesus must have come right through the walls. For he amazingly stood right in among them, and, after eating and talking with them, he vanished from them, but not through any unbolted door. (Luke 24:36-44; John 20:19-24) Of course, for Jesus, who had been brought to life in the spirit, to make himself visible to his disciples, he had to materialize on each occasion a body of flesh and bones. Jesus himself then said: “A spirit does not have flesh and bones just as you behold that I have.” Since the flesh-and-bones disciples could not see what was not flesh and bones, they could not see a spirit and they could not see the resurrected Jesus, who was “in the spirit.”(Luke 24:39)

So on some occasions the disciples did not know or recognize the resurrected Jesus. (Matthew 28:16, 17; Luke 24:15, 16; John 20:14-16; 21:4-12) The explanation for this is given in the words found in the Latin Vulgate, the Roman Catholic Douay Version, the German Luther Bible and the Authorized (King James) Version, in Mark 16:12. This verse in the Douay version reads: “And after that he appeared in another shape to two of them walking, as they were going into the country.” The Greek word there translated “shape” is morphe, which the Greek-English Lexicon says means “form, shape, fashion, appearance.” But even apart from what Mark 16:12 says, a careful study of the resurrection appearances makes it clear to the honest investigator, who does not need to be a Sherlock Holmes of a detective, that the resurrected Jesus materialized different bodies to suit the occasion. On at least two occasions he materialized bodies that resembled the one in which he had been nailed to the stake. (Luke 24:38-40; John 20:20-27) On other occasions the form or shape that he materialized left the disciples in doubt for a while.

Possibly some will say thinking of Jesus’ ascension to heaven, how he led his disciples out to the Mount of Olives, where, “while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight,” and angels said to them: “This same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.” (Acts 1:9-11) In those words “in like manner” the Greek word for “manner” is, not morphe but tropos. So the angels did not say that this same Jesus would return in the same form or shape but in the same manner. Neither did the angels say that those disciples would see Jesus return.

The apostle Paul said: “Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption,” which agrees with Paul’s preceding statement: “It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption.” (1 Corinthians 15:42, 50) Now some may say, he spiritualized his fleshly body in order to take it to heaven! But, I ask, did those angels who materialized human bodies in order to appear to the disciples on resurrection day and on ascension day spiritualize those bodies in which they appeared in order to return to the invisible spirit realm? Did Jesus spiritualize the clothing in which he appeared to his disciples?

Jesus certainly had to materialize clothing in which to appear, for the clothes he had on before he was impaled were divided among the soldiers and they cast lots over his seamless inner garment; and the bandages in which his corpse had been wrapped and the cloth that had been upon his head were left in the tomb. (John 19:23, 24; 20:5-7) If the resurrected Jesus could materialize new clothing, could he not also materialize new suitable bodies in order to appear and then dematerialize instead of spiritualize them? Yes, I believe so!

So 1 Peter 3:18, 19 teaches us that Jesus was resurrected a powerful spirit being when he was resurrected. Other scriptures teach us that when Jesus was resurrected he was resurrected immortal and incorruptible.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some say Jesus Christ was raised with the very same body in which he was crucified, and that fact sets the pattern for all the other dead who are to be resurrected. And Jesus now has that same body in heaven to which he ascended.’ These people have been taught this in the churches that they attend. But does the apostle Peter agree with that? In 1 Peter 3:18, 19 it says, according to The New English Bible of 1961: “For Christ also died for our sins once for all. He, the just, suffered for the unjust, to bring us to God. In the body he was put to death; in the spirit he was brought to life. And in the spirit he went and made his proclamation to the imprisoned spirits.” Other modern translations of 1 Peter 3:18, 19 read similarly. The apostle Peter was saying that Jesus was not resurrected with a human body. The apostle Peter explains that Jesus “was put to death in the flesh but made alive in the spirit.” (1 Peter 3:18) Jesus was brought back to life as a powerful spirit person! (1 Corinthians 15:3-6)

Since Peter was saying that Jesus’ was resurrected “in the spirit.” This explains why on the resurrection morning when God’s angel rolled the stone from the door of the tomb the soldier guards did not see Jesus rise from the dead and come out, although they did see the materialized angel sitting on the stone. (Matthew 28:1-4) This also explains why, when the resurrected Jesus met two disciples walking that day to Emmaus and went along with them and started to take supper with them, they did not know him until he began to serve the bread; and then he disappeared from them. (Luke 24:13-35)

This explains why, when the apostles and other disciples were met together in Jerusalem behind closed doors for fear of the fanatical Jews, Jesus must have come right through the walls. For he amazingly stood right in among them, and, after eating and talking with them, he vanished from them, but not through any unbolted door. (Luke 24:36-44; John 20:19-24) Of course, for Jesus, who had been brought to life in the spirit, to make himself visible to his disciples, he had to materialize on each occasion a body of flesh and bones. Jesus himself then said: “A spirit does not have flesh and bones just as you behold that I have.” Since the flesh-and-bones disciples could not see what was not flesh and bones, they could not see a spirit and they could not see the resurrected Jesus, who was “in the spirit.”(Luke 24:39)

So on some occasions the disciples did not know or recognize the resurrected Jesus. (Matthew 28:16, 17; Luke 24:15, 16; John 20:14-16; 21:4-12) The explanation for this is given in the words found in the Latin Vulgate, the Roman Catholic Douay Version, the German Luther Bible and the Authorized (King James) Version, in Mark 16:12. This verse in the Douay version reads: “And after that he appeared in another shape to two of them walking, as they were going into the country.” The Greek word there translated “shape” is morphe, which the Greek-English Lexicon says means “form, shape, fashion, appearance.” But even apart from what Mark 16:12 says, a careful study of the resurrection appearances makes it clear to the honest investigator, who does not need to be a Sherlock Holmes of a detective, that the resurrected Jesus materialized different bodies to suit the occasion. On at least two occasions he materialized bodies that resembled the one in which he had been nailed to the stake. (Luke 24:38-40; John 20:20-27) On other occasions the form or shape that he materialized left the disciples in doubt for a while.

Possibly some will say thinking of Jesus’ ascension to heaven, how he led his disciples out to the Mount of Olives, where, “while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight,” and angels said to them: “This same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.” (Acts 1:9-11) In those words “in like manner” the Greek word for “manner” is, not morphe but tropos. So the angels did not say that this same Jesus would return in the same form or shape but in the same manner. Neither did the angels say that those disciples would see Jesus return.

The apostle Paul said: “Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption,” which agrees with Paul’s preceding statement: “It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption.” (1 Corinthians 15:42, 50) Now some may say, he spiritualized his fleshly body in order to take it to heaven! But, I ask, did those angels who materialized human bodies in order to appear to the disciples on resurrection day and on ascension day spiritualize those bodies in which they appeared in order to return to the invisible spirit realm? Did Jesus spiritualize the clothing in which he appeared to his disciples?

Jesus certainly had to materialize clothing in which to appear, for the clothes he had on before he was impaled were divided among the soldiers and they cast lots over his seamless inner garment; and the bandages in which his corpse had been wrapped and the cloth that had been upon his head were left in the tomb. (John 19:23, 24; 20:5-7) If the resurrected Jesus could materialize new clothing, could he not also materialize new suitable bodies in order to appear and then dematerialize instead of spiritualize them? Yes, I believe so!

So 1 Peter 3:18, 19 teaches us that Jesus was resurrected a powerful spirit being when he was resurrected. Other scriptures teach us that when Jesus was resurrected he was resurrected immortal and incorruptible.
I don't see why not, the skin and bones at 3 days dead would be just under halfway of being completely dead.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Jesus said that He had a literal body, after His Resurrection.

It's the Jehovah's Witness CULT that teaches that Jesus was not raised from the Dead in a body.

What does Jesus say?

A.) Don't ever believe a Cult's lies.

New International Version
Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”

New Living Translation
Look at my hands. Look at my feet. You can see that it’s really me. Touch me and make sure that I am not a ghost, because ghosts don’t have bodies, as you see that I do.”

English Standard Version
See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.”

Berean Standard Bible
Look at My hands and My feet. It is I Myself. Touch Me and see—for a spirit does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”

Berean Literal Bible
See My hands and My feet, that I am He. Touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones, as you see Me having."

King James Bible
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

New King James Version
Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.”

Reactions: marks

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Behold said,
It's the Jehovah's Witness CULT that teaches that Jesus was not raised from the Dead in a body.[/QUOTE\]

This is seriously inaccurate. Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Jesus wasn't resurrected from the dead in a human body because we honestly believe the scriptures say that Jesus was resurrected from the dead in a spirit body not a human body. Now if there are those that believe Jesus was resurrected from the dead in a human body, I would disagree with them, and say he was resurrected from the dead in a spirit body, but I would never accuse them of teaching that Jesus wasn't resurrected from the dead in a body, because they do believe that Jesus was resurrected from the dead in a body, they just believe it was a human body he was resurrected with, and Jehovah's Witnesses believe Jesus was resurrected from the dead in a spirit body. So telling people that Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Jesus wasn't resurrected from the dead in a body, is inaccurate.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Behold said,
It's the Jehovah's Witness CULT that teaches that Jesus was not raised from the Dead in a body.[/QUOTE\]

This is seriously inaccurate. .

JW's believe that Jesus was not raised in a physical body., while Jesus told His Apostles to touch Him, and they DID.
So, Don't continue to lie to these members BarneyBright.
I can easily post hellish JW doctrine , and in fact, i just did.
The JW CULT is a NT denying, Christ offending, demonic "church".

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some need to do a lot more Bible study before they open their mouth and make a fool of themselves...

1 Cor 15:42-50
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

48 As is the earthy, such are they also that are earthy: and as is the heavenly, such are they also that are heavenly.

49 And as we have borne the image of the earthy, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly.

50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
KJV

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JW's believe that Jesus was not raised in a physical body., while Jesus told His Apostles to touch Him, and they DID.
So, Don't continue to lie to these members BarneyBright.
I can easily post hellish JW doctrine , and in fact, i just did.
The JW CULT is a NT denying, Christ offending, demonic "church".

Paul in 1 Corinthians15 show us that there are fleshly bodies, such as human beings have, but there are also spiritual bodies. Jesus sacrificed his human body and was resurrected with a spiritual body.(1 Corinthians 15:44) Because Jesus was resurrected with a spiritual body, humans can't see him in this state, so on occasions that Jesus appeared and talked to his apostles, and disciples he materialized fleshy bodies that looked human. Mark 16:12 shows that Jesus appeared to his apostles and disciples in different bodies.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Jesus wasn't resurrected from the dead in a human body because we honestly believe the scriptures say that Jesus was resurrected from the dead in a spirit body not a human body.
More nonsense from the JWs. So why don't you simply read what happened when Christ confronted Thomas and asked him to literally touch Him and see the wounds in His hands and side?

Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. (John 20:27,28)

Since unlike Thomas you do not believe that Jesus is God, neither do you believe what is written above. And there is no remedy for unbelief.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said that He had a literal body, after His Resurrection.

It's the Jehovah's Witness CULT that teaches that Jesus was not raised from the Dead in a body.

What does Jesus say?

A.) Don't ever believe a Cult's lies.

New International Version
Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”

New Living Translation
Look at my hands. Look at my feet. You can see that it’s really me. Touch me and make sure that I am not a ghost, because ghosts don’t have bodies, as you see that I do.”

English Standard Version
See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself. Touch me, and see. For a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have.”

Berean Standard Bible
Look at My hands and My feet. It is I Myself. Touch Me and see—for a spirit does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”

Berean Literal Bible
See My hands and My feet, that I am He. Touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones, as you see Me having."

King James Bible
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

New King James Version
Behold My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself. Handle Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see I have.”
While Christians don't dispute the bodily resurrection of our Lord, Paul taught that the resurrected body is not the same as the original and it couldn't be so and also be incorruptible. The natural body doesn't pass through walls, suddenly appear and disappear, etc.
If Jesus is the "first fruits" of the resurrection, then it's reasonable to assume that His physical body was transformed in the tomb.
This idea is commonly taught from John's gospel:
" And he, stooping down and looking in, saw the linen cloths lying there; yet he did not go in.
Then Simon Peter came, following him, and went into the tomb; and he saw the linen cloths lying there, and the handkerchief that had been around His head, not lying with the linen cloths, but folded together in a place by itself." John 20:5-7
I don't know the original languages, but the passage suggests that the wrapping of the Lord's body remained where He had been placed as in He either unwrapped Himself and left them there or simply passed through them.
It's also assumed that His appearance was altered because Mary of Magdala participated in preparing His body for internment, but didn't recognize Him outside of the tomb.

"Now when she had said this, she turned around and saw Jesus standing there, and did not know that it was Jesus." John 20:14

The same was true of the disciples on the road to Emmaus. They didn't recognize the resurrected Lord until after He'd taught them about the resurrection from scripture and "opened" their eyes.

The nature of the resurrected body was not yet understood, because former resurrections, like that of Lazarus, were restorations of the original, not to the incorruptible. That's why Paul had to discuss the resurrected body and that transformation that will occur in "the twinkling of an eye."

• Love
Reactions: Cassandra

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is seriously inaccurate. (...)
telling people that Jehovah's Witnesses teach that Jesus wasn't resurrected from the dead in a body, is inaccurate.
I totally agree with you, @BARNEY BRIGHT .

Spiritual beings like angels have a body that is not like ours, but is distinguishable from each other. That individual characteristic allows them to have their own personal name, such as the angel Gabriel or the Archangel Michael. They can also communicate with each other, or with humans as in ancient times, and they also can have meetings with thousands of them in heaven, such as those assemblies that we are told about in the Scriptures, like the one in 2 Chro. 18:18-22.

"Having a body" does not necessarily imply that it is having a body of flesh, bone, and blood like the bodies of living beings on earth (including human bodies). Before Jesus lived on earth he lived in heaven next to God, and his body was not human but in spirit. The Bible says that he took on a human body when he was born (Heb. 10:5-10; Phil. 2:5-11), but that body was inferior even to angels (Heb. 2:6-9). After being resurrected, he no longer has a "relatively inferior" body, but a spirit body, similar to the one he had before being human, and he is very powerful (1 Tim. 6:15,16).

Speaking accurately and based on the fact that the disciples were able to see Jesus resurrected, it is not accurate to say that he was resurrected in a body of flesh; the exact statement is to say that he appeared in bodies of flesh, and that is different from the previous one. Actually, the Bible says that his appearances were limited to some specific people. He did not make himself visible to anyone who did not belong to that group of persons chosen by God to receive that privilege at that time.

Acts 10:40 God raised this one up on the third day and allowed him to become manifest, 41 not to all the people, but to witnesses appointed beforehand by God, to us, who ate and drank with him after his rising from the dead.

Good topic.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some say Jesus Christ was raised with the very same body in which he was crucified, and that fact sets the pattern for all the other dead who are to be resurrected. And Jesus now has that same body in heaven to which he ascended.

Should have quit here while you were ahead!

John 2:18-22
King James Version

18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?

19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

Let me rewrite verse 21:

BUT HE SPAKE OF THE TEMPLE OF HIS BODY!!!!!!!!!

And When he stood up again (risen from teh dead) his disciples remembered He had said He would raise His body from teh grave, and they believed....

You have to decide- Either
Jesus lied or the Watchtower is lying to you with subtly human philosophy1

• Love
Reactions: Cassandra

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
More nonsense from the JWs. So why don't you simply read what happened when Christ confronted Thomas and asked him to literally touch Him and see the wounds in His hands and side?

Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. (John 20:27,28)

Since unlike Thomas you do not believe that Jesus is God, neither do you believe what is written above. And there is no remedy for unbelief.

Yeah I keep forgetting you believe the scriptures are not true.
Should have quit here while you were ahead!

John 2:18-22
King James Version

18 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?

19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

22 When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said.

Let me rewrite verse 21:

BUT HE SPAKE OF THE TEMPLE OF HIS BODY!!!!!!!!!

And When he stood up again (risen from teh dead) his disciples remembered He had said He would raise His body from teh grave, and they believed....

You have to decide- Either
Jesus lied or the Watchtower is lying to you with subtly human philosophy1

It looks to me you want people to ignore, that Jesus wasn't talking about his physical body because you refuse to acknowledge the context of these scriptures. John 2 Verses 13 to 18 show that Jesus had just cleansed the literal temple at Jerusalem, routing from it those who were making it a place of merchandise, and as a result had been confronted with this question from the Jews at John 2:18: “What sign have you to show us, since you are doing these things?” Jesus gave the answer at John 2: 19. John 2: 20-22 continue: “Therefore the Jews said: ‘This temple was built in forty-six years, and will you raise it up in three days?’ But he was talking about the temple of his body. Many people think Jesus was talking about his physical body when he said that.
The context shows that Jesus was not talking about his physical body, but “he was talking about the temple of his body”. The temple in Jerusalem that Jesus cleansed represented not Jesus alone but also the body-members over which he is head. Just as the literal temple was not made up of one stone but many, so “the temple of his body” consists of many living stones, with Jesus as the foundation cornerstone: “You yourselves also as living stones are being built up a spiritual house for the purpose of a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” (1 Peter 2:4-7) After the Jews rejected Jesus Christ the living stone by putting to death on the torture stake, on the third day thereafter YHWH God raised him up to become the chief cornerstone of the temple of living stones then under preparation. He immediately appeared to his disciples and lifted them up out of their despondency, built them up spiritually so that they could “offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God”. That this building of “the temple of his body” started then and continued through the years that followed is shown by Peter’s use of the present tense when years afterward he said to Christ’s followers “are being built up a spiritual house”.
Now with this broadened view of matters we must return to the consideration of Jesus’ words, “In three days I will raise it up.”

When Jesus said, “Break down this temple, and in three days I will raise it up,” he was speaking in a predictive sense; he predicted that three days after his death by his enemies the temple of God would begin to be raised up, beginning with him as the head member of it. We have examples of this predictive use of a term elsewhere in the Bible, where an individual says he will do a thing, but he actually does not do it at all. It comes about only as a result of his action.

For instance, at Isaiah 6:9, 10, where Jehovah appears to Isaiah and says, “Go, and tell this people.” And then what does he say? He says: “Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.” Now, God did not mean for Isaiah to actually go and fatten their hearts and stop up their ears and close their eyes to forestall any repentance; but he was predicting that that would be the effect of the message that Isaiah had been commanded to go tell the people, that the people themselves would show closed eyes and unhearing ears and fatty hearts, that they would not repent and turn to Jehovah for healing spiritually.

A similar usage is found at Ezekiel 43:3, where Ezekiel sees the vision of YHWH God coming to the temple, and says it was “according to the vision that I saw when I came to destroy the city”. But Ezekiel did not come to destroy Jerusalem; he came only to predict the destruction of the city by the Babylonians.

Then we also have that controversial text where it says YHWH God hardened the heart of Pharaoh. He said: “I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt. But Pharaoh shall not hearken unto you.” (Exodus 7:3, 4) Now, YHWH God did not harden the heart of Pharaoh, but he was predicting that Pharaoh’s heart would be hardened as a result of the message sent to him by Moses and Aaron, and that the repeated extension of God’s mercy to him would not soften him but would cause his heart to harden even more. It is not unusual for wicked men to interpret YHWH God's long-suffering as a sign of weakness and thus become more set in their evil ways, thinking the time of reckoning will never come. This is shown by Ecclesiastes 8:11: “Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.”

At John 2:19. Jesus’ words, “In three days I will raise it up,” were merely predicting that the temple would be raised up on the third day after his death on the torture stake, and YHWH God was the one who raised up the temple by first raising up the head member of it, the Lord Jesus Christ, and from then on, from that third day on, God used him to raise up all the other members of the temple class. (Zechariah 6:12) So through the Roman military the Jews broke down the chief and initial member of God’s spiritual temple, but on the third day YHWH God raised him as a spirit creature and chief cornerstone of the spiritual temple.

Reactions: ElieG12

ElieG12

Oct 8, 2022
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(...)
At John 2:19. Jesus’ words, “In three days I will raise it up,” were merely predicting that the temple would be raised up on the third day after his death on the torture stake, and YHWH God was the one who raised up the temple by first raising up the head member of it, the Lord Jesus Christ, and from then on, from that third day on, God used him to raise up all the other members of the temple class. (Zechariah 6:12) So through the Roman military the Jews broke down the chief and initial member of God’s spiritual temple, but on the third day YHWH God raised him as a spirit creature and chief cornerstone of the spiritual temple.
Very accurate info. Jesus was the "cornerstone" of the real God's spiritual temple (Ps. 118:22; Matt. 21:42) or the head of THE BODY, like some people say: of the Church.

I agree with you, that when he said he would rise "the temple of his body" (John 2:21) he was referring to the "one and same" body of annointed Christians that began to form at the time of his resurrection as "the firstborn from the dead" (Col. 1:18) and continue to grow when the whole church was getting form at the annointment of his disciples in Jerusalem (Acts 2). That is "the body" of Christ that the writers of the NT refer to all the time (Eph. 3:5,6).

Last edited:

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Why did you miss out verse 26?:

(26) After eight days again his disciples were inside, and Thomas was with them. Jesus came, the doors being locked, and stood in the middle, and said, “Peace be to you.”​

Can a human being materialise out of thin air into the middle of a room? Can a human body vanish into thin air, as in Luke 24:31, when while he was indoors and sat down at a table, having broken some bread and given it to the two disciples, he then "vanished out of their sight"?

We all know what a human being is like, so why did John write (1 John 3:2):

(2) Beloved, now we are children of God, and it is not yet revealed what we will be. But we know that when he is revealed, we will be like him; for we will see him just as he is.​

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus' flesh body was transfigured to a "quickening spirit" at some point prior to His going to the "spirits in prison", and prior to His ascension.

1 Cor 15:45-47
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

46 Howbeit that was not first which is spiritual, but that which is natural; and afterward that which is spiritual.

47 The first man is of the earth, earthy: the second man is the Lord from heaven.

KJV

Lord Jesus' spiritual body maintained the marks of His crucifixion. Paul in the above shows He was made "a quickening spirit", and that cannot refer to a flesh body.

Furthermore, 1 Corinthians 15:50 plainly states that flesh and blood cannot... inherit the Kingdom of God, as neither does corruption (flesh body) inherit incorruption (spiritual body).

And also, because Acts 2:27 points to Christ's body would not see corruption, it means His flesh was transfigured to the heavenly type body, which is a "spiritual body", or as the 1 Corinthians 15:45 shows, "a quickening spirit".

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Lord Jesus' spiritual body maintained the marks of His crucifixion.
Where does it say that in the Bible? How can a spiritual body have the scars of a physical human body?

And also, because Acts 2:27 points to Christ's body would not see corruption, it means His flesh was transfigured to the heavenly type body, which is a "spiritual body", or as the 1 Corinthians 15:45 shows, "a quickening spirit".
As verse 31 says:

(31) he foreseeing this spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that his soul wasn’t left in Hades, and his flesh didn’t see decay.​

It's saying that his soul wasn't left in the death state (unconscious), but was restored to life, and that his human body remains were not left to decompose. God gave Jesus a spirit being body, but his lifeless human body was removed from the tomb so that it would not be left to decompose. Whether it was dematerialised or whether his human body will be forever preserved as a memorial we can only guess. My guess is that his human body was dematerialised and no longer exists.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah I keep forgetting you believe the scriptures are not true.

It looks to me you want people to ignore, that Jesus wasn't talking about his physical body because you refuse to acknowledge the context of these scriptures. John 2 Verses 13 to 18 show that Jesus had just cleansed the literal temple at Jerusalem, routing from it those who were making it a place of merchandise, and as a result had been confronted with this question from the Jews at John 2:18: “What sign have you to show us, since you are doing these things?” Jesus gave the answer at John 2: 19. John 2: 20-22 continue: “Therefore the Jews said: ‘This temple was built in forty-six years, and will you raise it up in three days?’ But he was talking about the temple of his body. Many people think Jesus was talking about his physical body when he said that.
The context shows that Jesus was not talking about his physical body, but “he was talking about the temple of his body”. The temple in Jerusalem that Jesus cleansed represented not Jesus alone but also the body-members over which he is head. Just as the literal temple was not made up of one stone but many, so “the temple of his body” consists of many living stones, with Jesus as the foundation cornerstone: “You yourselves also as living stones are being built up a spiritual house for the purpose of a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.” (1 Peter 2:4-7) After the Jews rejected Jesus Christ the living stone by putting to death on the torture stake, on the third day thereafter YHWH God raised him up to become the chief cornerstone of the temple of living stones then under preparation. He immediately appeared to his disciples and lifted them up out of their despondency, built them up spiritually so that they could “offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God”. That this building of “the temple of his body” started then and continued through the years that followed is shown by Peter’s use of the present tense when years afterward he said to Christ’s followers “are being built up a spiritual house”.
Now with this broadened view of matters we must return to the consideration of Jesus’ words, “In three days I will raise it up.”

When Jesus said, “Break down this temple, and in three days I will raise it up,” he was speaking in a predictive sense; he predicted that three days after his death by his enemies the temple of God would begin to be raised up, beginning with him as the head member of it. We have examples of this predictive use of a term elsewhere in the Bible, where an individual says he will do a thing, but he actually does not do it at all. It comes about only as a result of his action.

For instance, at Isaiah 6:9, 10, where Jehovah appears to Isaiah and says, “Go, and tell this people.” And then what does he say? He says: “Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed.” Now, God did not mean for Isaiah to actually go and fatten their hearts and stop up their ears and close their eyes to forestall any repentance; but he was predicting that that would be the effect of the message that Isaiah had been commanded to go tell the people, that the people themselves would show closed eyes and unhearing ears and fatty hearts, that they would not repent and turn to Jehovah for healing spiritually.

A similar usage is found at Ezekiel 43:3, where Ezekiel sees the vision of YHWH God coming to the temple, and says it was “according to the vision that I saw when I came to destroy the city”. But Ezekiel did not come to destroy Jerusalem; he came only to predict the destruction of the city by the Babylonians.

Then we also have that controversial text where it says YHWH God hardened the heart of Pharaoh. He said: “I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt. But Pharaoh shall not hearken unto you.” (Exodus 7:3, 4) Now, YHWH God did not harden the heart of Pharaoh, but he was predicting that Pharaoh’s heart would be hardened as a result of the message sent to him by Moses and Aaron, and that the repeated extension of God’s mercy to him would not soften him but would cause his heart to harden even more. It is not unusual for wicked men to interpret YHWH God's long-suffering as a sign of weakness and thus become more set in their evil ways, thinking the time of reckoning will never come. This is shown by Ecclesiastes 8:11: “Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.”

Looks to me like you are seeking to retranslate the Word of God to defend the false doctrine of the Watchtower.

Soma always means physical body unless modified like in 1 Cor. 15:44

1 Corinthians 15:44
It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

Your watchtower fails the test of understanding and knowing anything of Greek.

also something cannot be re-surrected unless it is first laid down! It was jesus body that was lain down!

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Looks to me like you are seeking to retranslate the Word of God to defend the false doctrine of the Watchtower.

Soma always means physical body unless modified like in 1 Cor. 15:44

1 Corinthians 15:44
It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

Your watchtower fails the test of understanding and knowing anything of Greek.

also something cannot be re-surrected unless it is first laid down! It was jesus body that was lain down!

I care what Paul was inspired to write at 1 Corinthians 15:35-44. Because I know many people today have their personal views about life after death. Although I understand that these many people think their views are consistent with the scriptures I disagree that they are.

When someone dies, his body decomposes. But the One who created the universe from nothing can resurrect that person, giving him a suitable body. (Genesis 1:1; 2:7) Paul used an illustration to show that God would not need to bring back the same body. Think of “a bare grain,” or a plant “seed.” A seed of grain that is planted in the ground germinates and becomes a new plant. The resulting plant is quite different from the small seed. Paul used this comparison to show that our Creator can provide “a body just as it pleases him.” It's not that same seed that was planted but when resurrected that body that is resurrected isn't that same seed grain but resurrected a new body a spiritual body.

Paul noted at 1 Corinthians 15:39-41 that there is great diversity in creation. He said there are different fleshly bodies, such as cattle, birds, and fish. He stated that in the sky, we see differences between the sun and the moon. And he noted that “one star differs from another star in glory.” Yes, even if we may not discern it with the naked eye, there are what scientists call red giant stars, white dwarfs, and yellow stars, such as our sun. Paul also stated that “there are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies.” How so? Well, on earth, we have bodies of flesh, but in heaven there are spirit bodies, like the ones the angels have.

Paul said next: “So it is with the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised up in incorruption.” Of course, upon dying, the human body decays and returns to the dust. (Gen. 3:19) So how can it be that a body is “raised up in incorruption”? Paul was not speaking of a human who is resurrected to life on earth, such as those raised by Elijah, Elisha, and Jesus. Paul was referring to a person who is resurrected with a heavenly body, that is, “a spiritual one.”(1 Corinthians 15:42-44)

When Jesus walked the earth, he had a fleshly body. But when he was resurrected, he “became a life-giving spirit” and returned to heaven. Likewise, anointed Christians would be resurrected to spirit life. Paul explained: “Just as we have borne the image of the one made of dust, we will bear also the image of the heavenly one.”(1 Corinthians 15:45-49)

Paul was reaching the climax of his discussion of the resurrection. It is important to note that Jesus was not resurrected with a human body. Paul pointedly said: “Flesh and blood cannot inherit God’s Kingdom” in heaven. (1 Corinthians 15:50) The apostles and other anointed ones would not be resurrected to heaven with corruptible bodies of flesh and blood. Paul stressed that this resurrection still lay ahead; it was not something they would experience right after they died. By the time Paul wrote 1 Corinthians, some disciples had already “fallen asleep in death,” for example, the apostle James. (Acts 12:1, 2) Other apostles and anointed ones would yet fall “asleep in death.”(1 Corinthians 15:6)

Both Jesus and Paul pointed forward to a special time in history, Christ’s second presence. That presence would be marked by wars, earthquakes, pestilences, and other global developments. Paul pointed out that “the presence of the Lord” would also be a time of resurrection for anointed Christians who had “fallen asleep in death.”(1 Thessalonians 4:14-16; 1 Corinthians 15:23)

Anointed ones who today finish their earthly course are instantly raised to life in the heavens. This is confirmed by Paul’s words recorded at 1 Corinthians 15:51, 52: “We will not all fall asleep in death, but we will all be changed, in a moment, in the blink of an eye, during the last trumpet.” These words of Paul are now undergoing fulfillment! Upon their resurrection, these brothers of Christ will have complete joy; they will “always be with the Lord.”(1 Thessalonians 4:17)

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does it say that in the Bible? How can a spiritual body have the scars of a physical human body?

Luke 24:40
40 And when He had thus spoken, He shewed them His hands and His feet.
KJV

As verse 31 says:

(31) he foreseeing this spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that his soul wasn’t left in Hades, and his flesh didn’t see decay.​

It's saying that his soul wasn't left in the death state (unconscious), but was restored to life, and that his human body remains were not left to decompose. God gave Jesus a spirit being body, but his lifeless human body was removed from the tomb so that it would not be left to decompose. Whether it was dematerialised or whether his human body will be forever preserved as a memorial we can only guess. My guess is that his human body was dematerialised and no longer exists.

Like the Acts 2 Scripture said, Christ's body (flesh) would not see corruption, meaning it would not decay, revealing it would be changed to a "quickening spirit" like Apostle Paul said.

keithr

Dec 4, 2020
Dorset
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Luke 24:40
40 And when He had thus spoken, He shewed them His hands and His feet.
KJV
But that was Jesus showing them the hands and feet of the human body that he temporarily formed to convince Thomas that he had indeed been resurrected to life again. He didn't show them his spiritual body. That human body disintegrated once he had finished with it; later he appeared to seven disciples again in a different looking human body (John 21 - verse 12 says, "None of the disciples dared inquire of him, “Who are you?” knowing that it was the Lord").

According to Hebews 1:3 (ISV), "He is the reflection of God's glory and the exact likeness of his being"- that doesn't sound like he is scarred in any way. Why would his new body have scars? When we are resurrected we will have a completely new body, totally unlike a human body, and I'm sure we won't have our human body's scars copied over into it (even if a spiritual body could look like a human body).

Like the Acts 2 Scripture said, Christ's body (flesh) would not see corruption, meaning it would not decay, revealing it would be changed to a "quickening spirit" like Apostle Paul said.
I don't think that physical flesh and bones, or anything physical, can be changed into a spiritual body. (1 Corinthians 15:50 says, "flesh and blood can’t inherit God’s Kingdom; neither does the perishable inherit imperishable".) God will give us, as He gave Jesus, a completely new spiritual body. It is completely separate from His created physical universe.