20 Politically Incorrect Thoughts About the Church in America

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tony Morgan posted this listicle on his blog today. I realize these listings are often overdone, but I found myself nodding to a couple of these. I further found myself maybe wanting to challenge some of them only to realize that he has a point.

Any of these stick out to you?

http://tonymorganlive.com/2014/12/10/20-politically-incorrect-thoughts-church-america/

I thought these were all too true:

It’s not possible to offer three different types of worship services and do them all well. It’s also confusing to the people you’re trying to reach.
^ Seen that one unfold a lot.

Worship music is too slow and too repetitive. Worship music is too slow and too repetitive. Worship music is too slow and too repetitive.
Agree here, I've come to this point myself. I prefer a blend of hymns - perhaps even somewhat modernized - and then reasonable modern worship songs that get away from repeating the same metaphor or phrase over and over.

Churches don’t effectively engage women in senior leadership roles.
All too true and it seems to even trascend the varying disagreements upon women's role in the church.

I still don’t understand what a “missional” church is.
Amen.

Contrary to Rick Warren’s books, most churches are still program-driven. Churches still think getting people involved in more activities helps people become more like Jesus. That doesn’t work.
Really have experienced this one. It's easy to fall into the trap of believing how many or how active are full indicators of growing disciples.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
People visit the website before they visit the church. That should frighten most churches.
People also tend to go to a home group before going to the Church as well. I think this is a gradual way of finding your way around as a newbie. Most newbies straight outta the world really do want to know about Christ and grow in respect to salvation. They just don't always feel comfortable about being immersed into a culture that have their own set of social norms and values. Then you have migrators who are looking for another Church home. They've usually been around the block and have narrowed down what they are searching for in a Church body...

We spend a lot of money to send people on sightseeing trips and to repaint buildings on the other side of the world.
True but I guess some mission trips can be a blessing to those who are in third world countries and have nothing...Some believers tend to have the preconceived idea that the mission field is about ministering in foreign countries when the need is just as great on our back doorstep.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True but I guess some mission trips can be a blessing to those who are in third world countries and have nothing...Some believers tend to have the preconceived idea that the mission field is about ministering in foreign countries when the need is just as great on our back doorstep.
This might be more of a thing here in the states, but we have a lot of mission trips where the money is raised to send someone, and then when they go you see nothing but pictures of beaches and tourist destinations on their profiles. The actual missions composition of the trip involves maybe a few hours here or there, or something akin to painting a building. These are often the same people who don't have much of a ministry in their own back yard, but love to tell you about their trip to Haiti or wherever.