2014 and I was growing stronger

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Newman111107

Aug 14, 2016
P.U.S.H.
Pray Until Something Happens

By David Owen​
And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. John 14:13
I believe with all my heart that real, Holy-Spirit-activated revival is coming from the prisons – from behind the walls. I believe it because of what I’ve seen happens to men – believers who prayed and unbelievers who were prayed for – here at my prison. I’ll start with something I “p.u.s.h.ed “ for.
I entered the prison system on 7/24/09 after spending 1163 days in jail. With that time credited toward my prison sentence, along with the 10 days I would get taken off my sentence every month while in prison (gain time), my earliest release date was calculated to be 5/17/14. In 3/10, as expected, my gain time report showed the usual 10 days off my sentence with a tentative release date of 12/7/14. In 4/10, my gain time report showed the usual 10 days off my sentence with a tentative release date of 4/21/16, not 11/27/14 as it should have been.
I immediately inquired about the discrepancy in writing. The reply came back saying I was only supposed to have 913 days of jail time credited toward my sentence. The reason for that 250 day loss seemed to be legally valid. I accepted that. When I asked what my newly adjusted earliest release date would be, the reply was 9/17/15 – 16 months beyond the date calculated in 7/09. Their math was wrong. Amid the swirling confusion of the well-intentioned legal advice from several inmates, I stepped away and prayed for peace of spirit. A couple of cleansing breaths later, my prayer was answered. Right after that, I prayed, Father, this should be a simple thing but it’s turned into a monster. If You have need of me here in prison for that length of time, then Your will be done. But if I’m being held beyond reason, please fix man’s math. I can’t possibly handle the legal garbage I’d have to swim through. Ten guys are telling me ten different things. This is yours to handle, Father. Your will be done. As of this writing, God has adjusted the math four times and the gain time sheet for 5/14 shows my earliest release date as 12/21/14 and it’s locked in! Praise God! I didn’t put pen to paper; I filed no motions. I prayed until something happened! Nine months that didn’t belong to me was simply sponged away by God. He’s fixed it so I’ll be out the Sunday before Christmas this year! Hallelujah!
One of the brothers in our Bible study class in the chapel had to go to a medical callout. He had to leave the class within 10 minutes of arriving. His blood pressure was alarmingly high – something like 210/130. He was understandably concerned and asked us to pray for him. Although he thought we’d pray after he left, the Holy Spirit had a much better idea. In a single thought, men gathered around him and laid their hands on his head and shoulders. Those that couldn’t get close enough touched men who were touching him. We pled the healing blood of Jesus, asking in His name that our brother’s blood pressure would be normal (not lower, normal). He thanked us and left for medical. Later, as we were about to close the study in prayer, our brother returned, and was barely able to speak. His blood pressure was normal – 120/80 – measured three separate times in two different ways! Thank You, Sweet Jesus!
A few months ago, a new man in our dorm asked me for a cup of coffee. I was happy to share a scoop from the bag. He got some water, returned, and asked me for my spoon. Then he asked if he could sit on my rack… as he was sitting. I’ll be honest; I thought I smelled a scam coming. He proceeded to tell me he felt like he was losing his mind. He spoke of his daughter who he hadn’t seen in the eight years he’d been in prison. He’d write but never got any responses. She was his shining star and he was sick at heart. I listened to him but I was still getting adjusted to the fact this man came up to a perfect stranger and spoke as though he was continuing a conversation with a friend. He was a bit older than me and I thought he might have been thinking I was someone else.
When I realized this man was sincere and truly distraught, I wanted to console him and encourage him but every scripture I knew for an occasion like this flew right out of my mind. It became clear He was asking for help but under that extraordinary circumstance, I was totally mute. I suggested he write an inmate request to the chaplain for counseling and mark it “urgent.” I said I’d help him write it. He smiled and said, “Thanks; I’ll get back to you later.”

Newman111107

Aug 14, 2016
When he left, I felt like a “class-A idiot.” God placed this man in front of me and I turned into jelly! I prayed for another chance to encourage him somehow and asked God for guidance. God answered the prayer. An hour or so later, the man returned with an inmate request in-hand, a smile on his face, and a “thanks” on his lips. I was ready to fill it out and I hesitated. I opened my mouth to say… something… and out came “may I pray for you?” He said, “I need all the prayers I can get.” I asked if he would pray with me to his reply of, “Nahh, I’ll sit and listen. You’ll do fine.” After the prayer, he thanked me again. I prayed for him again in our dorm’s prayer circle that night.
The next day, I was in the chapel from 8-10 am for a preaching service. I came back to the dorm and noticed the man wasn’t there. At 2 pm, he came into the dorm, all smiles. “Well,” he said, “your prayer worked. My daughter came to visit; drove 12 hours to get here. We got a lot of catching up to do so she’ll be back tomorrow.” Three days later, he was transferred to another dorm. God knew that “chapter and verse” wasn’t the answer in this particular instance. Prayer was needed – John 14:13 was needed. He gave me an opportunity to do what was needed, obviously guided my mouth in that direction, and He returned this man’s daughter and peace of mind. All glory to God!
There’s so much more to share but you get the message. Behind these walls, I’ve learned that prayer works as you align yourself in God’s will – the way He wants to see you live (prayer being one of those ways). Prayer is the love of Christ flowing through us. Prayer sustains the life of God in us. Prayer is the driving force that’s created prayer circles in the rec yard and in six dorms on this compound that I know of. Prayer is the momentum that’s created 13 different chapel programs to help us mature in faith and inspire a man on the other side of my dorm to write scripture and verse on slips of paper, titling them “manna from heaven” and pass them out to as many inmates as possible. Fifty men on this compound (and many more in her church) prayed for a dear friend of mine after she suffered a stroke in January 2013. As of now, at nearly 71 years of age, she’s walking up to six miles a day. Her goal: to participate in the “walk of Santiago” near Galicia, Spain, toward autumn this year.
Revival is coming out of the prisons with the mighty power of God and prayer will illuminate it for God’s greater glory. “And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son” (John 14:13). Amen!