5 Devotionals from 5 Loaves.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christian Gedge

Jul 24, 2022
Waikato
5loaves2fishes.wixsite.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Some years ago, I had the idea of writing 52 devotionals, poems, sermonettes, inspirational pictures etc. and publishing them under the name, ‘5 Loaves and 2 Fishes.’ Well, I never quite got that far, but here is a selection of five devotionals.

Blessings. :)

Christian Gedge

Jul 24, 2022
Waikato
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
‘Bridge to Nowhere.’

Deep in the heart of the North Island, New Zealand, in dense native bush, lays a forgotten valley. Old fence lines on a fading road, a few stands of exotic trees, and the occasional brick chimney protruding through tangled undergrowth are all that remains of what once was the hope of the settlers of Mangapurua - returned soldiers from the Great War. But standing like an old concrete epitaph is a strangely beautiful structure draped with ponga’s and green ferns. Locals call it the 'Bridge to Nowhere.'

3ef7a1_d4576ac0774d4c27be0a67c5996de3e8~mv2.jpg

By the bridge is a sign detailing when it was built and how it got to be there but, for those who care to make their way through bush tracks to look and wonder, the ‘Bridge to Nowhere’ serves as a silent reminder: Life is like a road which, without God, does not know where it is going. That is why Jesus said, "I am the way and the truth and the life." "I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved."

Christian Gedge

Jul 24, 2022
Waikato
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
‘Why Jesus Came.’

"What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?" (Matthew 16:26)

We are spiritual beings. We are not animals whose existence is fulfilled simply by satisfying physical instincts. There is a desire embedded deep within, to find the meaning of life beyond just eating and drinking and working and dying.

Only a friendship with God can satisfy this basic need. Our problem is that we are separated from him so the relationship is broken before it even begins.

missing.png

Consequently, in our life a gap appears. Then we try to replace God with other things:- ambition, money, drugs, alcohol, education, career, sex, music, sport.

Some of these things are good. Some are not. But whether good or evil, we cannot find what we’re searching for because what’s missing is spiritual - not physical - not intellectual either. Finally, our present separation from God becomes a permanent separation forever. This is worse than death, and nothing can reverse it.

That is why Jesus came.

Reactions: Angelina

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
‘Why Jesus Came.’

"What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul?" (Matthew 16:26)

We are spiritual beings. We are not animals whose existence is fulfilled simply by satisfying physical instincts. There is a desire embedded deep within, to find the meaning of life beyond just eating and drinking and working and dying.

Only a friendship with God can satisfy this basic need. Our problem is that we are separated from him so the relationship is broken before it even begins.

missing.png

Consequently, in our life a gap appears. Then we try to replace God with other things:- ambition, money, drugs, alcohol, education, career, sex, music, sport.

Some of these things are good. Some are not. But whether good or evil, we cannot find what we’re searching for because what’s missing is spiritual - not physical - not intellectual either. Finally, our present separation from God becomes a permanent separation forever. This is worse than death, and nothing can reverse it.

That is why Jesus came.
Amen brother. Well said! :Zek:

Reactions: Christian Gedge

Christian Gedge

Jul 24, 2022
Waikato
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Ive been thinking about heaven a lot recently. This devotional was written by Maureen and put on our devotionals page. www.5loaves2fishes.net/devotional

‘Fathers House.’

"In my father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you."
(John 14:2)

The comfort contained in these words is inexhaustible as we begin to think seriously about how that Jesus has gone ahead to prepare a dwelling place for us to live in for all eternity.

Perhaps one of the most basic fears we have as people is the fear of not having a home. Being without a safe dwelling is a vulnerable feeling. We spend much of our time making sure that our earthly dwelling is safe and secure and rightly so, but how important it is to know that an eternal dwelling is being prepared for us too.

It is interesting to note that Jesus is preparing our place in his father's house. We are to be a part of his father's household, living and being where he is. The reality of this takes away some of the mystery surrounding where we go when we die. We go to be with Jesus in the father's house where we are told there are many rooms. There is a lot of room for us; we do not need to be worried about overcrowding.

Also each room will be prepared with us in mind. A dwelling carefully prepared especially for you and I, a place where we can rest, a place where the cares and distresses of life will have ended, a place where we know that Jesus will actually be abiding with us. Of this we are to be assured.

• Love
Reactions: Debp and Angelina

Christian Gedge

Jul 24, 2022
Waikato
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Here is my 5th and last of five devotionals in the thread.

‘North to East.’

Men will stagger from sea to sea and wander from north to east, searching for the word of the LORD, but they will not find it. (Amos 8:12)

Perhaps I've got too vivid an imagination; but when I read this verse I see a man lurching – not exactly forwards and not exactly sideways either. He is sort of staggering along the highway half forward and half into the side of the road.

Maybe he is drunk? Serves him right! But he's not drunk; he's battered – like the man that the priest and the Levite passed on the way to Jericho.
When someone has a sense of purpose, they go from north to south don't they?

Alternatively they go from east to west, but wandering from north to east ...? What an unusual saying. Does he not know where he is going? No, he doesn't actually. He's walked this road a hundred times searching and never finding. What does it matter now if he stumbles from north to east? Perhaps he will find it there.

So where are those who stand at the crossroads saying quietly, "this is the way, walk ye in it?" Maybe they are there. I hope so. Maybe the prophet was speaking of a different place and a different time. Maybe, but I don't think so.

Reactions: Angelina