70 weeks is not in years but literal weeks. No 7 yrs. of trib. Here's why...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

cbdewd

Jul 1, 2015
I was asked if I believe in the 7 year tribulation and encouraged to start my own thread if I didn't believe in it. I believe in a time of tribulation but I do not believe in a 7 year tribulation period. If you want to know why, here you go...

The 70 weeks are not 490 days=490 years. It HAS TO BE a shorter amount of time based on the life of the anointed prince. Look...

Dan 9:25 Know therefore and understand that from the going out of the word to restore and build Jerusalem to the coming of an anointed one, a prince, there shall be seven weeks. Then for sixty-two weeks it shall be built again with squares and moat, but in a troubled time.
Dan 9:26 And after the sixty-two weeks, an anointed one shall be cut off and shall have nothing.
And the people of the prince who is to come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary.

I had previously believed, like most scholars, that the 70 weeks represent 490 day years based on Daniel 9:24. Scholars then assume that the last week of 7 years is divided into two 3.5 years from Daniel 9:27 and 12:11 because of the ending of the sacrifices seeming to correlate to the half week and the 1290 days given by the angel. There is also the Rev 12:6 and Rev 12:14 reference to 1260 days being the time-times-half a time. Scholars multiply the 3.5 years to make a final 7 year/week of "tribulation".

However that is not consistent to the weeks of Daniel 9 and should not be the sole interpretive measure. Clearly, we can see that the anointed prince's life span is within the 70 weeks forcing them to be 70 literal weeks. This is clear and must be considered. Doing so, it makes the 70 weeks=490 years case wrong as I had also previously thought possible but now have changed my mind. It also makes the 7 year tribulation case wrong since it is based off of the 70 weeks being in year/days.

This has radical implications. This means that there is not a seven year tribulation that the mainstream church has based many sermons, books and movies upon. The assumption has always been based around the speculative framework of Daniel 9's seventy weeks. I see a 3 1/2 year tribulation and a 2300 evening and mornings time frame but not a 'final week' of years as has been so widely taught. I believe that the 3 1/2 years is related to Israel and the 2300 evenings and mornings is in relationship to both Israel and the Gentiles. This can be further discussed in another thread.

This conclusion also rules out the common interpretation that Jesus is the fulfilled anointed prince following the decree in Nehemiah. Again, the life span time restriction does not fit that as a possibility. What many people consider to be Jesus in Dan 9:26, can also be interpreted as the antichrist. The word 'anointed' has also been applied to Satan and Cyrus and doesn't require it to be Jesus. Both have been employed by God to do his service.

• Isa_45:1 Thus says the LORD to his anointed, to Cyrus, whose right hand I have grasped, to subdue nations before him and to loose the belts of kings, to open doors before him that gates may not be closed:

• Eze_28:14 You were an anointed guardian cherub. I placed you; you were on the holy mountain of God; in the midst of the stones of fire you walked.
Nebuchadnezzar was also fulfilling God's will in sacking Jerusalem and yet was an evil person at the time of service. This was part of the curses of Deuteronomy for disobedience. God said He would bring upon them their enemies (Deu_28:48). Nebuchadnezzar was even called God's servant twice...
  • Jer_25:9 behold, I will send for all the tribes of the north, declares the LORD, and for Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon, my servant, and I will bring them against this land and its inhabitants, and against all these surrounding nations. I will devote them to destruction, and make them a horror, a hissing, and an everlasting desolation.

• Jer_27:6 Now I have given all these lands into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon, my servant, and I have given him also the beasts of the field to serve him.
You have to keep in mind when reading Daniel that the angel said that the 70 weeks happens at the time of the end -Dan 10:14. The time of the end is God's final outpouring of wrath or judgement on Israel's sin until they repent. It's a complete unit of time when God brings the "surrounding" nations against Israel to judge her. The time of Jacob's trouble is the long awaited final judgement. Remember, judgement begins with the house of God then the world will get theirs soon after. When Israel repents (Zech 12) God then defends them in His mercy.
  • Luk 21:21 Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, and let those who are inside the city depart, and let not those who are out in the country enter it, 22 for these are days of vengeance, to fulfill all that is written.

• Luk_21:23 Alas for women who are pregnant and for those who are nursing infants in those days! For there will be great distress upon the earth and wrath against this people.
The chapters of Daniel harmonize around the antichrist who is part of the latter fourth kingdom. This same prince is mentioned throughout the Daniel 9 and 11 scenario to come against Israel. It is during his life time that the 70 weeks span.

Below are further arguments against the traditional futurist view on the 70 weeks.

1. The one and only consequence for breaking the Sabbath land-rest law was that they would be sent out of the land.
  • Lev 26:34 "Then the land shall enjoy its Sabbaths as long as it lies desolate, while you are in your enemies' land; then the land shall rest, and enjoy its Sabbaths. 35 As long as it lies desolate it shall have rest, the rest that it did not have on your Sabbaths when you were dwelling in it.
Israel was under Rome in their own land during the time of Jesus which is supposed to have occurred during the 69 weeks of years in order to fulfill their timeline of 70 weeks or 490 years. This alone shows how impossible this interpretation has been. Israel was exiled out of the land to Babylon during the 70 years judgment but what we see in future prophecy is that Israel will remain in the land to fight. It is not until the end of the 70 weeks prophecy in Daniel 9:27 that "the wing of abominations shall come one who makes desolate, until the decreed end is poured out on the desolator." happens and they are then told to flee Jerusalem.
  • Mar_13:14 "But when you see the abomination of desolation standing where he ought not to be (let the reader understand), then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains.
This is a big factor preventing the 70 weeks from being Sabbath years and not to be overlooked. If the last week of the tribulation is to take place with Israel in their land then it is impossible for them to be sabbath day=years.

2. Based on how most scholars today measure Daniel’s 70 weeks by multiplying 70 broken Sabbath years by 7 years, they surmise a 490 year punishment. However, it would have to mean that the Israelite's had broken the Sabbath land rest for 3430 years. There has not been enough time for them to have been in the land to have broken that many Sabbath land rest years.

3. We have to remember that the 70 weeks is a consequence of judgment and there is also absolutely no mention of Israel breaking the Sabbath land-rest law in future prophecy outside of what scholars proclaim for Daniel 9:24. The fact that they were out of the land for over 2000 years already should have cleared up any land rest issues God might of had. Thus, ruling out the last week of years being necessary for resolving the land laws of rest.

4. There are also many other verses where “weeks” or “sevens”( shâbûa‛) means literal days. We can’t forget that the original Sabbath week was 7 days.
  • Lev 23:3 "Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, a holy convocation. You shall do no work. It is a Sabbath to the LORD in all your dwelling places.
Just two chapters before the Sabbath land rest verses where scholars believe the weeks=years concept we find this:
  • Lev 23:15 "You shall count seven full weeks from the day after the Sabbath, from the day that you brought the sheaf of the wave offering.
Perhaps, the angel is telling Daniel that once the temple is rebuilt that a time frame coinciding with the Sabbaths days will commence. This could be a prophetic time frame until the harvest time. Remember, the 70 weeks start when the Jews rebuild Jerusalem and the sanctuary exists, meaning that this is meant for the Jews at that future time. The Jews will follow the Sabbath as even Jesus said in Mat 24:20 "Pray that your flight may not be in winter or on a Sabbath."

Just so people can see, “weeks’ can mean both days and years linguistically.

Brown-Driver Briggs Hebrew Lexicon states this for “weeks”:
shâbûa‛ / shâbûa‛ / shebû‛âh

Definition:
1) seven, period of seven (days or years), heptad, week
1a) period of seven days, a week
1a1) Feast of Weeks
1b) heptad, seven (of years)

5. Just because scripture at times uses weeks as years does not mean we can use it anywhere we want to. It must be shown contextually but the context of Daniel 9:24-27 reveals a time table that rules out weeks equaling years. The life span of the anointed prince is paramount in this regard and somehow has been overlooked.

6. The previous 70 years under Nebuchadnezzar was a judgment based on the Sabbath year land misuse but why is there no mention of the land resting for 490 years in the future as it was told of Israel for just the 70 years and repeated throughout scripture. E.g., 2 Chronicles, Jeremiah, Zechariah and in Daniel?

7. A 7 year Sabbath land rest places Israel back under the law. The law has been done away with when Jesus Christ came to fulfill it. The Jews will follow the Sabbath but God will not require it of them as also the temple they will rebuild, only faith and obedience to His Son Jesus Christ is required now.
  • Eph 2:15 by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two (Jew and Gentile), so making peace,
The old covenant has been replaced by the new covenant and to say that God would make the Jews serve 490 years due to breaking the Sabbath land laws of Leviticus 25 is to re-establish the law and makes the new covenant irrelevant. Any future sacrifices in the millennium can be explained as commemorative and do not entail curses. Unless someone wants to argue that the Jews are still under the law in contrast to the clear teaching of scripture.
  • Heb 10:10-14 And by that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. (11) And every priest stands daily at his service, offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. (12) But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, (13) waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet. (14) For by a single offering he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.
Here's how to stop the false assumptions when interpreting Daniel 9:24-27:

-Stop assuming the only allowable interpretation is the land-rest, day=year sabbatical curse. Hebrew weeks have been used for both years and days.
-Stop assuming that the first 7 weeks of Dan 9:25 is irrelevant.
-Stop assuming that the anointed one doesn't arrive after the first 7 weeks. It does not say after 69 weeks but after 7 weeks he arrives.
-Stop assuming that the 62 weeks and the first 7 weeks are combined. Scripture does not say they are.
-Stop assuming that your preselected historical dates have to be fulfilled in order to defend prophecy.
-Stop breaking the text apart into 69 weeks and then a final 1 week. Scripture does not teach this. It teaches 7 weeks to an anointed ruler, then 62 weeks for the rebuilding of Jerusalem, then a final week made covenant with the same ruler.
-Stop assuming that the ruler is Jesus Christ. This is not clearly taught. You are reading this into the text. Cut-off (Karath) simply means exclusion or destroying. It was a term used by God or Israel to remove a person from their community. Exo_12:15, Psa_101:8..
-Stop assuming that you can do to the text something you wouldn't do to any other passage.
-Stop assuming that this passage is not consistent with Daniel 11 and that you can isolate a set of passages while ignoring others.
-Stop assuming that calculators and commentaries are more useful than the context of scripture.
-Stop assuming you can make events fit your constructed timeline of history before rightly interpreting the construction of scripture.

Thank you for reading. May God continue to grace us with understanding in His Word during this time.

~Dewd

Straightshot

May 1, 2015
The 70 weeks of years are based upon the Jewish heptad

One week of years is equal to 7 prophetic years of 360 days each

So 70 weeks of years is equal to 490 prophetic years

483 years of the set transpired at the cross and the Lord's cutting off

The remaining 7 years has never taken place and is still pending fulfillment

The 483 years lapsed between the command to return from the Babylonan captivity [457 BC] to build the city of Jerusalem .... this time lapse can be substantiated and is 100% accurate

Adjustment for conversion from the Hebrew calendar and the Julian calendar must be made

If you have further questions I will answer

cbdewd

Jul 1, 2015
Straightshot said:

The 483 years lapsed between the command to return from the Babylonan captivity [457 BC] to build the city of Jerusalem .... this time lapse can be substantiated and is 100% accurate

Adjustment for conversion from the Hebrew calendar and the Julian calendar must be made

I am very aware of the traditional futurist view on the 70 weeks and have argued why it cannot be true. Thanks for not reading my post. :/

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
Straightshot said:

I have a question. Sorry, my memory isn't so good, but you might have read on that third temple thread that a couple Christians were open to someday being led by a jew to butcher up an offering on a supposed futuristic temple in the middle east... I was wondering, if in this "future" you believe in that supposedly could "begin" soon, would you do that? I mean, could you possilbly be talked into offering up an animal sacrifice in the future by a jew? Would you?

cbdewd

Jul 1, 2015
the_sign said:
Your logic fails ignoring Genesis 41 and the last clause of Daniel 10:14.
If this post was against the original thread post, I have no idea how you take Joseph's dream in Genesis 41 and the "latter days" of Daniel 10:14 and prove any failed logic. Please explain if that is what you were intending.

Straightshot

May 1, 2015
"I was wondering, if in this "future" you believe in that supposedly could "begin" soon, would you do that? I mean, could you possilbly be talked into offering up an animal sacrifice in the future by a jew? Would you?"

This animal sacrifice junk is a totally off the wall concept that I see flying around this forum .... it is ridiculous and has no value

To answer your first question .... could begin before this day is over .... make sure you are ready for it, if that is possible for you

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
Actually it WAS you... this is where that "animal sacrifice junk" became a bizarre off the wall topic...

Straightshot, on 16 Jul 2015 - 2:46 PM, said:
Straightshot said:
mortals will exist in this kingdom and will need salvation just as people do today

Because of this need the Lord will use scheduled symbolic sacrificing
Yes, it is ridiculous and it has no value. It is in fact blasphemy and heresy. You will address this utterly before I am finished. So please answer and describe your statement more fully. A woman on that thread also said she would be open to animal sacrifice because of the "futuristic third temple" teaching you are a part of. I contend that is blasphemy and heresy.

Explain yourself please or recant your statement. But it will not be ignored sir.

(Isa 66:3) He that killeth an ox is as if he slew a man; he that sacrificeth a lamb, as if he cut off a dog's neck; he that offereth an oblation, as if he offered swine's blood; he that burneth incense, as if he blessed an idol. Yea, they have chosen their own ways, and their soul delighteth in their abominations.
(Isa 66:4) I also will choose their delusions...

So speak sir and defend your post, if that is possible for you... For I am always ready

Straightshot

May 1, 2015
Already defended ..... by the scriptures [Ezekiel 40-48; Zechariah 14:6-14:21]

I see your clever switching

The "junk" idea that you seem to support about sacrificial rites has two parts

The first, that Israel will begin this practice at the end of this present age during the coming tribulation will never happen

However, symbolic sacrificing required by the Lord will take place during His coming millennial kingdom one thousand years apart

Two different settings

So your position is bogus on both accounts .... and your complaining about what I say or do not say is moot

If you continue to do this kind of thing, I will not waste time responding to you .

the_sign

Jul 15, 2015
cbdewd said:
Please explain
Seven cows (x) = seven years, then, 70 times 7 (x) = 490 years.

That is in chapter nine.

Daniel 10:14 refers to later events that only coincide with chapter nine as regards Daniel 12:7. (the re-iteration of the final half week).

But Daniel 10:14 includes the stipulation that "the vision is yet for days".

Had that clause preceded the 70 weeks prophecy, then you would have a case, but that isn't the order of things now, is it?

Daniel 10 serves as a prelude to the conflict of chapter eleven and the specific number of days, not years, which are given at the end of the Book in chapter twelve.

the_sign

Jul 15, 2015
Then there is that crap edition you're using; this is better from the Douay-Rheims :

25 Know thou therefore, and take notice: that from the going forth of the word, to build up Jerusalem again, unto Christ the prince, there shall be seven weeks, and sixty-two weeks: and the street shall be built again, and the walls in straitness of times.

26 And after sixty-two weeks Christ shall be slain: and the people that shall deny him shall not be his. And a people with their leader that shall come, shall destroy the city and the sanctuary: and the end thereof shall be waste, and after the end of the war the appointed desolation.