A Better And New Covenant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Friday 11-10-23 6th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Cheshvan 25 5784, 48th. Fall Day

Hebrews 8

A Better Covenant

1 Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;

2 A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.

3 For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.

4 For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:

5 Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.

6 But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

A New Covenant

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:

9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.

10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Love, Walter And Debbie

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Only once is "neo" found in the book of Hebrews and that is to tell us that Christ is the "new" with respect to time of being made the mediator of the covenant in place of the High Priests under the Mosaic Law. In the Book of Hebrews "Kaneous" is translated as new, rather than "renewed' like a house is refreshed when it is given a fresh coat of paint to make it look young again.

It is my view that there is no "new covenant" but rather the Salvation Covenant has been refreshed.

New wine, i.e., freshly squeezed grapes, cannot be put into old wineskins but that it must be put into refreshed wine skins so that the wine skin does not burst from the fermenting of the fresh/young wine juice when it is put into the wine skins.

Language and the meaning of words is important.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only once is "neo" found in the book of Hebrews and that is to tell us that Christ is the "new" with respect to time of being made the mediator of the covenant in place of the High Priests under the Mosaic Law. In the Book of Hebrews "Kaneous" is translated as new, rather than "renewed' like a house is refreshed when it is given a fresh coat of paint to make it look young again.

It is my view that there is no "new covenant" but rather the Salvation Covenant has been refreshed.

New wine, i.e., freshly squeezed grapes, cannot be put into old wineskins but that it must be put into refreshed wine skins so that the wine skin does not burst from the fermenting of the fresh/young wine juice when it is put into the wine skins.

Language and the meaning of words is important.
Hello Jay Ross, Thinking about what you are saying, Salvation only begins at the cross, The Two Sides Of God's Covenant

Love, Walter And Debbie

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello Jay Ross,

Thinking about what you are saying, Salvation only begins at the cross, The Two Sides Of God's Covenant

Love, Walter And Debbie

What about Adam and Eve, did God's Salvation plan for them only began at the cross? Reading on from the fall, it seems to me that both Adam and Eve had a working relationship with God after the Fall.

Cain, Did God offer Cain salvation after his sacrifice was not accepted in favour of Abel's? Did not God say to Cain: -

Gen 4:6-7: - 6 So the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it.”

Did Cain have an opportunity for salvation before the cross and before the Mosaic Covenant?

The only difference between the time of Cain and today is the process by which redemption is gained. The unrecorded Salvation Covenant from the time of Adam has not changed, it has only been refreshed so that it has the appearance of being "like new" again.

Matthew 13:53: - 52 Then He said to them, “Therefore every scribe instructed concerning the kingdom of heaven is like a householder who brings out of his treasure things made like new again and yet very ancient from the time of Adam.”

For me, salvation has been available from the time of the garden up and until the time of the Great White Throne Room Judgement. The only thing that has changes is the process by which our redemption is gained.

Shalom

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What about Adam and Eve, did God's Salvation plan for them only began at the cross? Reading on from the fall, it seems to me that both Adam and Eve had a working relationship with God after the Fall.

Cain, Did God offer Cain salvation after his sacrifice was not accepted in favour of Abel's? Did not God say to Cain: -

Gen 4:6-7: - 6 So the Lord said to Cain, “Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen? 7 If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire is for you, but you should rule over it.”

Did Cain have an opportunity for salvation before the cross and before the Mosaic Covenant?

The only difference between the time of Cain and today is the process by which redemption is gained. The unrecorded Salvation Covenant from the time of Adam has not changed, it has only been refreshed so that it has the appearance of being "like new" again.

Matthew 13:53: - 52 Then He said to them, “Therefore every scribe instructed concerning the kingdom of heaven is like a householder who brings out of his treasure things made like new again and yet very ancient from the time of Adam.”

For me, salvation has been available from the time of the garden up and until the time of the Great White Throne Room Judgement. The only thing that has changes is the process by which our redemption is gained.

Shalom
Jay Ross, Brother, I see what you are saying, yet you see this issue in how you believe, after showing you other views.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Jay Ross, Brother, I see what you are saying, yet you see this issue in how you believe, after showing you other views.

The "New Covenant" view is one where we do not want to identify with the Jewish Covenant(s) and want a very different salvation from them. "Kaneous" has bee translated as having the English meaning of "new" which is age related like "Neo" whereas "kaneous" has no age aspect in its meaning but is rather a condition of the entity like being like new in its condition.

Last edited:

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "New Covenant" view is one where we do not want to identify with the Jewish Covenant(s) and want a very different salvation from them. "Kaneous" has bee translated as having the English meaning of "new" which is age related like "Neo" whereas "kaneous" has not age aspect in its meaning but is rather a condition of the entity like being like new in its condition.
Good morning Jay Ross, One In Christ

The “New Covenant” view is a theological position that emphasizes the centrality of Jesus Christ in the Bible and the superiority of the new covenant over the old covenant123. The new covenant is not merely an update of the old covenant, but rather a new and better covenant that was inaugurated by Jesus Christ1234. The term “new” in “New Covenant” refers to the fact that it is a new and better covenant, not necessarily that it is age-related123.

Regarding the translation of “kainos” as “new,” it is true that “kainos” can mean “new” in the sense of being recent or young, but it can also mean “new” in the sense of being different or superior5. In the context of the New Testament, “kainos” is used to describe the new covenant as a superior covenant that replaces the old covenant5. Therefore, the “New Covenant” view is not about rejecting the Jewish covenants, but rather about recognizing the superiority of the new covenant that was inaugurated by Jesus Christ.

Love, Walter

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Good morning Jay Ross, One In Christ

The “New Covenant” view is a theological position that emphasizes the centrality of Jesus Christ in the Bible and the superiority of the new covenant over the old covenant123. The new covenant is not merely an update of the old covenant, but rather a new and better covenant that was inaugurated by Jesus Christ1234. The term “new” in “New Covenant” refers to the fact that it is a new and better covenant, not necessarily that it is age-related123.

Regarding the translation of “kainos” as “new,” it is true that “kainos” can mean “new” in the sense of being recent or young, but it can also mean “new” in the sense of being different or superior5. In the context of the New Testament, “kainos” is used to describe the new covenant as a superior covenant that replaces the old covenant5. Therefore, the “New Covenant” view is not about rejecting the Jewish covenants, but rather about recognizing the superiority of the new covenant that was inaugurated by Jesus Christ.

Love, Walter

Ah Walter and Debbie,

Does our salvation make us a completely "new person" or does it "renew us" so that we become the person whom God intended us to be from the beginning of time. Does not Paul tell us a number of times in his letters to "renew" {H:0365} the spirit of our minds and then to be clothed {H:1746} with the refurbished/renewed {H:2537} personhood that God intended us to be. Ephesians 4:23-24 is one such example of his teaching on this subject matter.

We can know what the renewed spiritual mind requires, but unless we are clothed with the renewed spiritual mind it counts for nothing.

A brand-new unused leather wine skin, with respect to age, will burst if it has become hard and brittle and will need to be refurbished just like an old used wineskin, so as to be soft and viable once more, so that the wineskin will be able to contain the fresh wine when it is poured into the wineskin.

I am not comparing the superiority of the before and after "covenants" like you are doing. It is the spirit in which people approach God and worship Him so that His Glory can be seen in and through them/us, that becomes important for our individual Salvation. In other words, we need to lay down our own lives and take up our cross daily, so that we can become His disciples/Saints.

In the Separation of the sheep from the goats' parable, both the sheep and the goats knew what was required of them. The sheep clothed themselves with God's heart, whereas the goats did not cloth themselves with God's heart, unless they thought that it would be of benefit to them. The Goats did not see the needs of the people whereas the sheep did. The sheep were countered as being righteous whereas the Goats were herded together and dispatched into the Lake of fire.

In my walk with Christ, I have chosen to be continually renewed in His likeness and righteous.

Shalom

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah Walter and Debbie,

Does our salvation make us a completely "new person" or does it "renew us" so that we become the person whom God intended us to be from the beginning of time. Does not Paul tell us a number of times in his letters to "renew" {H:0365} the spirit of our minds and then to be clothed {H:1746} with the refurbished/renewed {H:2537} personhood that God intended us to be. Ephesians 4:23-24 is one such example of his teaching on this subject matter.

We can know what the renewed spiritual mind requires, but unless we are clothed with the renewed spiritual mind it counts for nothing.

A brand-new unused leather wine skin, with respect to age, will burst if it has become hard and brittle and will need to be refurbished just like an old used wineskin, so as to be soft and viable once more, so that the wineskin will be able to contain the fresh wine when it is poured into the wineskin.

I am not comparing the superiority of the before and after "covenants" like you are doing. It is the spirit in which people approach God and worship Him so that His Glory can be seen in and through them/us, that becomes important for our individual Salvation. In other words, we need to lay down our own lives and take up our cross daily, so that we can become His disciples/Saints.

In the Separation of the sheep from the goats' parable, both the sheep and the goats knew what was required of them. The sheep clothed themselves with God's heart, whereas the goats did not cloth themselves with God's heart, unless they thought that it would be of benefit to them. The Goats did not see the needs of the people whereas the sheep did. The sheep were countered as being righteous whereas the Goats were herded together and dispatched into the Lake of fire.

In my walk with Christ, I have chosen to be continually renewed in His likeness and righteous.

Shalom
Hi Jay Ross, We understand what you are saying, thank you for your input.

Shalom