A boyhood experience

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As an adventurous boy of about fourteen, my father took my brother and me to a “professional wrestling match” that featured what in those days were termed midgets, as well as larger, stronger men with whom I was very impressed.

I told myself I wanted to be a wrestler when I grew up. However, my size was very thin, anti-muscular, and wirey. Still, at the school I was attending, I chose to try out for the wrestling team.

I had no previous experience, so I had to put enormous effort into running and workouts. The coach was patient with me, was entertained by my don’t-give-up mentality, and kept me safe.

All this was taking place in those years when facial breakouts hit me like a plague. I did all that my step mother said was the key to a cure, but it only made my appearance look, as one huge bully said, “like you scrubbed your face with a wire brush.” My, how I wanted to be a bigger boy.

Family life wasn’t great, so I wasn’t able to gain the nutrients necessary to help strengthen me. Too often, I went without eating much at all. Nevertheless, I stuck it out with the wrestling team.

After the coach asked me to compete with the next smallest guy, I got tossed around like a feather. The other guys were packing their things, when the coach took me aside to explain why he thought it was best I quit the team. I was simply too small. He spoke with such kindness and compassion, there was no way I felt as bad as it could have been.

A month later, I joined the band, where I eventually learned to play the upright bass and sousaphone. School policy was that if a student wanted to play in the jazz band, he had to also play in the marching band, so I had to learn steps, show up for games, and practice.

I’ve been a moderate, even professional bassist, since the age of 19, can you believe it? And it all began with wrestling.

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
As an adventurous boy of about fourteen, my father took my brother and me to a “professional wrestling match” that featured what in those days were termed midgets, as well as larger, stronger men with whom I was very impressed.

I told myself I wanted to be a wrestler when I grew up. However, my size was very thin, anti-muscular, and wirey. Still, at the school I was attending, I chose to try out for the wrestling team.

I had no previous experience, so I had to put enormous effort into running and workouts. The coach was patient with me, was entertained by my don’t-give-up mentality, and kept me safe.

All this was taking place in those years when facial breakouts hit me like a plague. I did all that my step mother said was the key to a cure, but it only made my appearance look, as one huge bully said, “like you scrubbed your face with a wire brush.” My, how I wanted to be a bigger boy.

Family life wasn’t great, so I wasn’t able to gain the nutrients necessary to help strengthen me. Too often, I went without eating much at all. Nevertheless, I stuck it out with the wrestling team.

After the coach asked me to compete with the next smallest guy, I got tossed around like a feather. The other guys were packing their things, when the coach took me aside to explain why he thought it was best I quit the team. I was simply too small. He spoke with such kindness and compassion, there was no way I felt as bad as it could have been.

A month later, I joined the band, where I eventually learned to play the upright bass and sousaphone. School policy was that if a student wanted to play in the jazz band, he had to also play in the marching band, so I had to learn steps, show up for games, and practice.

I’ve been a moderate, even professional bassist, since the age of 19, can you believe it? And it all began with wrestling.
Amazing, yet completely destructive where beliefs take you.

Reactions: Hope in God

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Becoming a bassist is destructive?
Good question, bbyrd. The way some folks view the music of our youth, thinking that anything secular, especially if it's entertaining, and therefore devilish, is what Jelly meant. I'm new to this board, so I don't yet know the instigators. Maybe that was a taste.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

A fellow bassist! Yes! :) (what I mean is...a fellow brother in Christ! Yes!)

same as me...at 19 I started gigging...doing MoR and r&B. Then went to jazz because I didn't feel right with the ungodly lyrics in some of the songs I had to do. (after my conversion to Christ at 21)

i have so many musical tales from back in the day!

Do you have any recordings of yourself? I still record...spiritual songs as well as instrumental jazz. I do my own stuff as well as help out young Christian artists with bass tracks! :)

Check this out...my own production! smooth jazz effort...among the many styles I play.

Last edited:

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Becoming a bassist is destructive?

nay, rather foundational to a happy feeling in any song! My opinion of course.

I think a good bass groove can be a cure for Aids....or an infection. Since the bass sound is infectious of itself. :)

Reactions: bbyrd009

Hope in God

May 29, 2019
TAMPA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A fellow bassist! Yes! :) (what I mean is...a fellow brother in Christ! Yes!)

same as me...at 19 I started gigging...doing MoR and r&B. Then went to jazz because I didn't feel right with the ungodly lyrics in some of the songs I had to do. (after my conversion to Christ at 21)

i have so many musical tales from back in the day!

Do you have any recordings of yourself? I still record...spiritual songs as well as instrumental jazz. I do my own stuff as well as help out young Christian artists with bass tracks! :)

Check this out...my own production! smooth jazz effort...among the many styles I play.

I enjoyed the recording you put on, Ep. I never learned to slap the bass, mostly because we didn't play that sort of music. For thirty years, I was the bassist in a five piece, then four, then trio, then duo, but our music was 50s-80s country and soft rock commercial. All of the beachside clubs and restaurants we played, as well as tons of fraternal organizations.

At 67, my identical twin brother and I have set gigging aside, primarily because there is no longer the quantity of work as in years past. While we both worked full time govt. jobs, we would sometimes play as much as five nights a week, back when the bookings were nearly effortless.

A long time passed before both of us were willing to sing, and in no time we held down duo and trio jobs vocally. In the end, we worked only duo gigs making from $60 to $100 each for three hour gigs. We refused four hour jobs after age 55 or so. As a duo, most of our gigs were ambiance for corporate gatherings, like a bank Christmas party, weddings and restaurants. I too often had the habit of bouncing off the fifth when I played which is distracting. If we were to play at all these days, it would likely be at restaurants.