A Call for Wisdom

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I recall my Pastor telling me this story when staying with a family while he and a group of other missions folk, were doing an outreach to a specific Island in the South Pacific.

The family he was staying with were extremely poor but willing to share everything they had with him. He told me how they gave him a cracked mirror to shave with and how proud they were with that mirror as it seemed it was to most precious thing they had. As a westerner, he would have found this insulting but as a believer, he held his tongue.

Pastor just could not understand how people can be so happy and generous but also ignorant of their extreme poverty.

After much thought, I replied that these people have obviously not been exposed to things that the world considers as the "necessities of life."

If this is so, then how can they possibly miss, what they have never had.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I recall my Pastor telling me this story when staying with a family while he and a group of other missions folk, were doing an outreach to a specific Island in the South Pacific.

The family he was staying with were extremely poor but willing to share everything they had with him. He told me how they gave him a cracked mirror to shave with and how proud they were with that mirror as it seemed it was to most precious thing they had. As a westerner, he would have found this insulting but as a believer, he held his tongue.

Pastor just could not understand how people can be so happy and generous but also ignorant of their extreme poverty.

After much thought, I replied that these people have obviously not been exposed to things that the world considers as the "necessities of life."

@Angelina I think your header verse from 1 Cor. 1.18 also relates to what you just posted; it's all related to perspective and to what truly matters...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

"Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:
She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table.
She hath sent forth her maidens: she crieth upon the highest places of the city," Prov 9:1-3

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding." Prov 9:10

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
24 “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.
25 “Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they?
Matthew 6:24-26

2 For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes, 3 and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, “You sit here in a good place,” and say to the poor man, “You stand there,” or, “Sit here at my footstool,” 4 have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?
5 Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? 6 But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts?
James 2:2-6

5 Come now, you rich, weep and howl for your miseries that are coming upon you! 2 Your riches are corrupted, and your garments are moth-eaten. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded, and their corrosion will be a witness against you and will eat your flesh like fire. You have heaped up treasure in the last days. James 5:1-3

No opinions, just His word. 'Nuff said.

Reactions: amadeus

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A Call for Wisdom
Which corner of the street was she on?

haruto

Nov 12, 2020
Freeport
Faith
Christian
Country
Albania
interesting to read the continue. The fact that I’m writing online content in various topics helps me maintain my writing skill and helps me gain more experience writing for an online audience. As a new writer or freelance writer, it’s probably best to kill two birds with one stone by writing every day. Also sometimes use help here

Last edited: