A challenge: Speak evil of no one

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible actually says to speak evil of no one (Titus 3:2).

This is actually pretty challenging either because we have a habit of "venting" and speaking evil of people to let out frustration or because other people around us do it and expect you to join them.

Here's an example: insulting prominent politicians like the president. Christians aren't really supposed to do that, no matter who's in office. I don't think we have to agree with what politicians do but Scripture is against just bashing and speaking evil of them (Jude 1:8, 2 Peter 2:10)

Twice this week, I caught myself "throwing shade" and insulting people who had done nothing wrong to me! I wouldnt have said those things in front of them. But as I renew my mind, I realize that these are patterns Ive just gotten used to and it will take being intentional to break it.

Jesus said every idle word men speak would come under judgment so thats a sobering thought.

I'm just wondering if anyone else feels challenged by this or any thoughts you might have.

Reactions: Adam and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible actually says to speak evil of no one (Titus 3:2).

This is actually pretty challenging either because we have a habit of "venting" and speaking evil of people to let out frustration or because other people around us do it and expect you to join them.

Here's an example: insulting prominent politicians like the president. Christians aren't really supposed to do that, no matter who's in office. I don't think we have to agree with what politicians do but Scripture is against just bashing and speaking evil of them (Jude 1:8, 2 Peter 2:10)

Twice this week, I caught myself "throwing shade" and insulting people who had done nothing wrong to me! I wouldnt have said those things in front of them. But as I renew my mind, I realize that these are patterns Ive just gotten used to and it will take being intentional to break it.

Jesus said every idle word men speak would come under judgment so thats a sobering thought.

I'm just wondering if anyone else feels challenged by this or any thoughts you might have.

Jas 3:8But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Jas 3:9Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Jas 3:10Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Jas 3:11Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?"

Unable to control that little member... can we not simply bite it?
One reason I stopped heavy participation on this forum was due to my own inability to hold myself back from lashing out at some people. Often it was not the doctrine they espoused that got to me as their seeming inability to really listen and the easiness with which they are able to throw out names, in spite of forum rules and biblical verses , because, LOL, as each of us know, "I am right and you are wrong".
I learned many years ago that I have been too often wrong without knowing it. When I found that out on a point, did I immediately seek out anyone on the other side to make it right with them?

O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps" Jerem 10:23

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Wynona

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jas 3:8But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Jas 3:9Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Jas 3:10Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Jas 3:11Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?"

Unable to control that little member... can we not simply bite it?
One reason I stopped heavy participation on this forum was due to my own inability to hold myself back from lashing out at some people. Often it was not the doctrine they espoused that got to me as the inability to really listen and the ability to thrown out names, because as each of us know, "I am right and you are wrong".
I learned many years ago that I am wrong. When I follow the Lord I am right but how often do I do that when I go ahead and open my mouth and let my tongue do its own thing?

O LORD, I know that the way of man is not in himself: it is not in man that walketh to direct his steps" Jerem 10:23

You may choose not to speak as often. (Sometimes its wiser for people not to). But when you do speak, it's wonderful.

Great Scripture and post. I thank God you're here.

On forums, I try to say something I want to once and then get out without going back and forth with people on it. My words aren't that persuasive anyway. God's words have so much more power.

Reactions: amadeus