A Classic - The Homeless Preacher

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
THE HOMELESS PREACHER - A Classic!

Pastor Jeremiah Steepek transformed himself into a homeless person and went to the 10,000 member church that he was to be introduced as the head pastor at that morning. He walked around
his soon-to-be church for 30 minutes while it was filling with people for service....only 3 people out of the 7 - 10,000 people said hello to him.

He asked people for change to buy food... NO ONE in the church gave him change. He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please
sit in the back. He greeted people to be greeted back with stares and dirty looks, with people looking down on him and judging him.

As he sat in the back of the church, he listened to the church announcements and such. When all that was done, the elders went up and were excited to introduce the new pastor of the church to the congregation...... "We would like to introduce to you Pastor Jeremiah Steepek"... The congregation looked around clapping with joy and anticipation... The homeless man sitting in
the back stood up... and started walking down the aisle... the clapping stopped with ALL eyes on him... he walked up the altar and took the microphone from the elders (who were in on this) and paused for a moment... then he recited-

Sheep and Goats
"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you
gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me some- thing to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me,
I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a
stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the
least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

After he recited this, he looked towards the congregation and told them all what he had experienced that morning... many began to cry and many heads were bowed in shame.... he then said....
Today I see a gathering of people.... not a church of Jesus Christ.The world has enough people, but not enough disciples... when will YOU decide to become disciples? He then dismissed service
until next week...

Being a Christian is more than something you claim. It's something you live by and share with others...

Author Unknown - Shalom!!!

Reactions: KingJ

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know, being Christian does not equal being exclusive, either Suhar - what if it was Jesus who was being rejected?

And what if your distortion is true that homeless people are making more money than you? I have never seen a person who actually believes this, trade places with a homeless person. You ready to cuddle up with all your newly acquired panhandled money on a nice warm curb every night? I am sure you will enjoy the great outdoors of western Washington - better get a raincoat.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
aspen2 said:
You know, being Christian does not equal being exclusive, either Suhar - what if it was Jesus who was being rejected?

And what if your distortion is true that homeless people are making more money than you? I have never seen a person who actually believes this, trade places with a homeless person. You ready to cuddle up with all your newly acquired panhandled money on a nice warm curb every night? I am sure you will enjoy the great outdoors of western Washington - better get a raincoat.
[SIZE=medium]Ask any large city cop. They will tell you all kinds of stories about “homeless vets” and alike getting up and out of their wheelchairs, getting into a nice car and going home to a nice house. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]I do not stand on the street corner asking for money because I have morals. People who do that do not.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]People that actually live on the streets are there by choice. Choice supported by fools.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Oh by the way there are no hungry people in US either. Go on Craigslist and look at “free food” adds by foodbanks.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I know this society because I came up from the very bottom of it. 21 years ago all I had was one suitcase, clothes on my back and I spoke no English. I have been to foodbanks and soup kitchens. I did dumpster diving and other things that I not proud of.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]You do not know anybody….? Because you choose a company of people that do not have clue.[/SIZE]

Eric E Stahl

May 28, 2013
Pa. USA
Suhar said:
[SIZE=medium]Ask any large city cop. They will tell you all kinds of stories about “homeless vets” and alike getting up and out of their wheelchairs, getting into a nice car and going home to a nice house. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]I do not stand on the street corner asking for money because I have morals. People who do that do not.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]People that actually live on the streets are there by choice. Choice supported by fools.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Oh by the way there are no hungry people in US either. Go on Craigslist and look at “free food” adds by foodbanks.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I know this society because I came up from the very bottom of it. 21 years ago all I had was one suitcase, clothes on my back and I spoke no English. I have been to foodbanks and soup kitchens. I did dumpster diving and other things that I not proud of.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]You do not know anybody….? Because you choose a company of people that do not have clue.[/SIZE]

I once was in line to pick up food at Mc Donalds, a teen age girl walked up to my car and told me she and some friends where on their way home to Texes from Pa. She said they where hungery and out of money would I give them some money. I didn't care if they where lying or not. I gave them a sizsable amout of money and a bible tract and a business name card and asked her to let me know when they got home safe.

I believe God was glorified by my witness even if they where lying.

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Suhar said:
[SIZE=medium]Sounds like a church full of smart people.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Most people know that almost all panhandlers make more money then people that give them money.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]http://now.msn.com/jeffrey-hillman-homeless-man-said-to-have-thirty-pairs-of-shoes-cash[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Being Christian does not equal to being stupid.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium].[/SIZE]
Being a Christian means not judging others, which is what those people in Church did. God will deal with those who cheat others.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Angelina said:
THE HOMELESS PREACHER - A Classic!

Pastor Jeremiah Steepek transformed himself into a homeless person and went to the 10,000 member church that he was to be introduced as the head pastor at that morning. He walked around
his soon-to-be church for 30 minutes while it was filling with people for service....only 3 people out of the 7 - 10,000 people said hello to him.

He asked people for change to buy food... NO ONE in the church gave him change. He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please
sit in the back. He greeted people to be greeted back with stares and dirty looks, with people looking down on him and judging him.

As he sat in the back of the church, he listened to the church announcements and such. When all that was done, the elders went up and were excited to introduce the new pastor of the church to the congregation...... "We would like to introduce to you Pastor Jeremiah Steepek"... The congregation looked around clapping with joy and anticipation... The homeless man sitting in
the back stood up... and started walking down the aisle... the clapping stopped with ALL eyes on him... he walked up the altar and took the microphone from the elders (who were in on this) and paused for a moment... then he recited-

Sheep and Goats
"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you
gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me some- thing to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me,
I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a
stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the
least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

After he recited this, he looked towards the congregation and told them all what he had experienced that morning... many began to cry and many heads were bowed in shame.... he then said....
Today I see a gathering of people.... not a church of Jesus Christ.The world has enough people, but not enough disciples... when will YOU decide to become disciples? He then dismissed service
until next week...

Being a Christian is more than something you claim. It's something you live by and share with others...

Author Unknown - Shalom!!!

Uh, I would like to know the source of the above-quoted story.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
Eric E Stahl said:
I once was in line to pick up food at Mc Donalds, a teen age girl walked up to my car and told me she and some friends where on their way home to Texes from Pa. She said they where hungery and out of money would I give them some money. I didn't care if they where lying or not. I gave them a sizsable amout of money and a bible tract and a business name card and asked her to let me know when they got home safe.

I believe God was glorified by my witness even if they where lying.

[SIZE=medium]You made somebody think that being Christian equals to being gullible sucker. I am sure that will make her want to be Christian more then before she met you.[/SIZE]

Reactions: HeRoseFromTheDead

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Folks, if we don't know the source of the story cited in the OP, then how are we to know that it isn't an urban legend?

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
Selene said:
Being a Christian means not judging others, which is what those people in Church did. God will deal with those who cheat others.

[SIZE=medium]Knowing does not equal judging. You can read up, talk to people that been there and educate yourself. Once you know that all (without any exception) panhandlers are just con artists you do not judge them. You just know that they are.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]http://www.fox19.com/story/18610481/aurora-homeless-shelter-director-says-cardboard-panhandling-is-scam[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]http://now.msn.com/gary-thompson-alleged-scam-artist-poses-as-wheelchair-bound-panhandler[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]http://www.19actionnews.com/story/21088705/investigation-the-panhandler-scam[/SIZE]

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Dodo_David said:
Folks, if we don't know the source of the story cited in the OP, then how are we to know that it isn't an urban legend?
It's probably a fake story, but here's a real story of a pastor who went homeless for 5 days, recorded his experience, and delivered a sermon different from the pastor in Angelina's story.

http://www.theleafchronicle.com/viewart/20130628/NEWS01/306280035/Clarksville-pastor-lives-homeless-man-before-installation-Sango-UMC

Suhar said:
[SIZE=medium]Knowing does not equal judging. You can read up, talk to people that been there and educate yourself. Once you know that all (without any exception) panhandlers are just con artists you do not judge them. You just know that they are.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]http://www.fox19.com/story/18610481/aurora-homeless-shelter-director-says-cardboard-panhandling-is-scam[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]http://now.msn.com/gary-thompson-alleged-scam-artist-poses-as-wheelchair-bound-panhandler[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]http://www.19actionnews.com/story/21088705/investigation-the-panhandler-scam[/SIZE]
How would you know? Or do you simply judge ALL panhandlers the same? If you believe in God's mercy, then you should also believe in His justice. All you need to do as a Christian is pray for those who hurt you or cheated you because they are going to need it.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
aspen2 said:
How would you know

[SIZE=medium]How would you know? Talk to a local cop. Take your time and watch “homeless vets” take turns out of wheel chairs for next shit. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Being Christian does not equal to being stupid.[/SIZE]

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Suhar said:
How would you know? Talk to a local cop. Take your time and watch “homeless vets” take turns out of wheel chairs for next shit.

Being Christian does not equal to being stupid.
How would you know? Or do you simply judge ALL panhandlers the same? If you believe in God's mercy, then you should also believe in His justice. All you need to do as a Christian is pray for those who hurt you or cheated you because they are going to need it.
If you had read that website I provided in my last post, it showed a pastor who lived as a homeless man for five days. During those five days, he has met real homeless people, who didn't live in an apartment, but who were sleeping on the streets at night. So, there are some homeless people out there. We just can't tell the difference between the real ones and the fake ones. It is best not to judge and leave justice to God.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
Selene said:
If you had read that website I provided in my last post, it showed a pastor who lived as a homeless man for five days. During those five days, he has met real homeless people, who didn't live in an apartment, but who were sleeping on the streets at night. So, there are some homeless people out there. We just can't tell the difference between the real ones and the fake ones. It is best not to judge and leave justice to God.
[SIZE=medium]Homeless people are homeless by choice. I was homeless and I chose not to be one.[/SIZE]

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Suhar said:
[SIZE=medium]Homeless people are homeless by choice. I was homeless and I chose not to be one.[/SIZE]
It is not all that simple. Some were not there by choice. Some found themselves to be there because of circumstances beyond their control.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I got this story from my friend who is an international evangelist/Minister who also has an on-line Christian ministry. I do not know whether it is an Urban Legend or not. If it is then it took a long time to reach my country :) I think that this story is a great wake up call especially when applied to the "entertaining strangers" and "making judgments based on what people are wearing" stories in the bible.

Bless ya!

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
[SIZE=medium]Have you ever been homeless? If you did you would know that it is a choice.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I know because I have been homeless, non-English speaking guy. I chose not to stay that way.[/SIZE]

Selene said:
It is not all that simple. Some were not there by choice. Some found themselves to be there because of circumstances beyond their control.

Reactions: HeRoseFromTheDead

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
Suhar said:
[SIZE=medium]Have you ever been homeless? If you did you would know that it is a choice.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I know because I have been homeless, non-English speaking guy. I chose not to stay that way.[/SIZE]
No, I've never been homeless. But I helped a family who was left homeless by a husband who didn't pay the rent and just left her and the kids. She was unemployed at that time and did not own a car. Her husband took the car. Certainly, it was not that family's choice to be homeless. The family found a home through government assistance. So, that family was left homeless not by their choice. And I'm sure it was not your choice to be homeless in the first place.

How you got yourself out from the situation was a different story. I hope you did not choose to become a fake panhandler to get yourself out. :) The family I helped, on the other hand, received assistance from people. And this is what it means to be a Christian.....to help others in need.

I think that this is the point in Angelina's story.

Suhar

Mar 28, 2013
Western WA
[SIZE=medium]People who are genuinely homeless are too busy working their way back up to stand on the corner day in and day out for years.[/SIZE]