A prophet is not without Honour, except in his own country, and in his own house.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 13:54-57 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works? [55] Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas? [56] And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things? [57] And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.

John 1:9-11 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. [10] He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. [11] He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

The prophets were without Honour in their own country, in their own household looking off into the distance that they seek a country ...a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore...he hath prepared for them a city. (Hebrews 11:14-16). Going as far as to say the prophets in their own country suffered and were killed. Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

The word says your enemies will be those of your own household. Yet, to “love your enemies.” that you may be called “the children of God”. How then do we use passages as such against our families wielding out “a prophet is not without Honour, except in his own country” and “your enemies” are those of your own household as a means to degrade our families and separate going out into the world where there is also no Honour? Where can any go in the world that “in their own country” they are not without Honour? 2 Corinthians 6:8 By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true;

John 8:49-52 Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me. [50] And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth. [51] Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. [52] Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

a prophet is without Honour in “his own country” (Hebrews 11:14-16) “despising the shame he endured the cross for the joy set before him” ...seeking “a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore...God hath prepared for them a city.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
[51] Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. [52] Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

and everyone who lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?"

Death no longer has power over us. Alleluia!

Peace be with you!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
John 8:49-52 Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me. [50] And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth. [51] Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. [52] Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death
really needs the last bit included for completeness imo

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
really needs the last bit included for completeness imo

I’m scared to ask. Why? any significance of the rest? Tried to read it as a whole and I’m not sure what you mean to bring out? John 8:53-55 Art thou greater than our father Abraham, which is dead? and the prophets are dead: whom makest thou thyself? [54] Jesus answered, If I honour myself, my honour is nothing: it is my Father that honoureth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God: [55] Yet ye have not known him; but I know him: and if I should say, I know him not, I shall be a liar like unto you: but I know him, and keep his saying.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I’m scared to ask.
lol
Why? any significance of the rest?
ha its where all the gravy is imo, yeh...but the refs to Abe are a clue too i guess, Jesus was obv not speaking literally right, about death and etc?
But sure the "if you catch Me flossing, then you know I'm full of it" bit is a great reply to their Q imo
sublime even

Last edited:
Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i mean in the context of take, eat, this is My body... how could the same person even say both of these things earnestly?

maybe (2 Corinthians 12:15-21) And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved. [16] But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile. [17] Did I make a gain of you by any of them whom I sent unto you? [18] I desired Titus, and with him I sent a brother. Did Titus make a gain of you? walked we not in the same spirit? walked we not in the same steps? [19] Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying. [20] For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: [21] And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 13:54-57 And when he was come into his own country, he taught them in their synagogue, insomuch that they were astonished, and said, Whence hath this man this wisdom, and these mighty works? [55] Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas? [56] And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things? [57] And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.

John 1:9-11 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. [10] He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. [11] He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

The prophets were without Honour in their own country, in their own household looking off into the distance that they seek a country ...a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore...he hath prepared for them a city. (Hebrews 11:14-16). Going as far as to say the prophets in their own country suffered and were killed. Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

The word says your enemies will be those of your own household. Yet, to “love your enemies.” that you may be called “the children of God”. How then do we use passages as such against our families wielding out “a prophet is not without Honour, except in his own country” and “your enemies” are those of your own household as a means to degrade our families and separate going out into the world where there is also no Honour? Where can any go in the world that “in their own country” they are not without Honour? 2 Corinthians 6:8 By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true;

John 8:49-52 Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me. [50] And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth. [51] Verily, verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death. [52] Then said the Jews unto him, Now we know that thou hast a devil. Abraham is dead, and the prophets; and thou sayest, If a man keep my saying, he shall never taste of death.

a prophet is without Honour in “his own country” (Hebrews 11:14-16) “despising the shame he endured the cross for the joy set before him” ...seeking “a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore...God hath prepared for them a city.

Well, I have diligently read through this thread and everyone's posts , including @bbyrd009 and @Philip James and I still don't have a clue as to what the OP is asking, or saying. So I can't respond yet until I get a clue what the discussion is all about!! LOL

Just call me dumb..I don't mind. :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, I have diligently read through this thread and everyone's posts , including @bbyrd009 and @Philip James and I still don't have a clue as to what the OP is asking, or saying. So I can't respond yet until I get a clue what the discussion is all about!! LOL

I guess I too am a dummy head @Helen (NOT that you are a dummy head!!!!) as I am pretty lost here, not sure exactly what the OP is stating, asking?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

The backstory to Christ's earthly ministry, and the accounts of the environment He was in should be examined in order to better appreciate the person, presence, and preaching of our Lord and Saviour. The expectation of a Messiah that would rid Israel of foreign rule and restore it to prominence by diplomatic cunning and military might was something that blinded many of the Jews to the possibility of Jesus being anything more than a common carpenter with a certain religious fanaticism that made them uncomfortable.

There is a beautiful Scripture passage known as "God's Tool Box" which further teaches us that God's Ways are not man's ways. Here it is:
1Co 1:18-31
(18) For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
(19) For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
(20) Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? has not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
(21) For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
(22) For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
(23) But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
(24) But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
(25) Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
(26) For you see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
(27) But God has chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
(28) And base things of the world, and things which are despised, has God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:

(29) That no flesh should glory in his presence.
(30) But of him are you in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
(31) That, according as it is written, He that glories, let him glory in the Lord.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Haha, dont't be so hard on yourself. I just posted what came to mind on reading the op.

A prophet shall receive a prophets reward I guess?

Peace!

Reactions: Nancy

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is okay. I’m with you and I wrote the OP. o_O

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
maybe (2 Corinthians 12:15-21) And I will very gladly spend and be spent for you; though the more abundantly I love you, the less I be loved. [16] But be it so, I did not burden you: nevertheless, being crafty, I caught you with guile. [17] Did I make a gain of you by any of them whom I sent unto you? [18] I desired Titus, and with him I sent a brother. Did Titus make a gain of you? walked we not in the same spirit? walked we not in the same steps? [19] Again, think ye that we excuse ourselves unto you? we speak before God in Christ: but we do all things, dearly beloved, for your edifying. [20] For I fear, lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I would, and that I shall be found unto you such as ye would not: lest there be debates, envyings, wraths, strifes, backbitings, whisperings, swellings, tumults: [21] And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.
nice, yeh
even better in English! :D
lol

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What the OP is saying is that Helen will have to travel far from home in order to be seen as outstanding. Because familiarity breeds contempt (as the saying goes).:p

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What the OP is saying is that Helen will have to travel far from home in order to be seen as outstanding. Because familiarity breeds contempt (as the saying goes).:p

Thank you for the interpretation bro. :)

I was hunting for a question or something that I needed to discuss that I had somehow missed.

When a preacher is in his own pulpit his church group are used to him...when he travels to a different place as a guest speaker, they somehow think.." More miles = more power" - so they will listen to him there more openly. lol

Reactions: Nancy

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is pretty amazing that God has revealed the truth by very selectively choosing individuals for thousands of years, some of whom were the least of men, to speak for Him...and repeatedly the masses don't wise up and get with the program and just keep on killing those sent. Only now, they simply kill with words. Even here.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It is pretty amazing that God has revealed the truth by very selectively choosing individuals for thousands of years, some of whom were the least of men, to speak for Him...and repeatedly the masses don't wise up and get with the program and just keep on killing those sent. Only now, they simply kill with words. Even here.

Luk_10:21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.

Im not going there will derail this thread.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Not exactly. How far from home must one travel to receive Honour? Especially since Honour only comes from God?
regardless of whether one believes there are no more prophets today or not. Is it safe to say none were received well by the world?

In what country, land, house, or city does any prophet have Honour? Could be wrong but it appears never: in or by the world. Hebrews 11:14-16 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. [15] And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. [16] But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

Regardless of which version still they(the prophets) seeked “that is, an heavenly” same as while in the flesh there is dishonour...Honour only in the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 5:1-2 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. [2] For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:

Why does it matter? Because I’m questioning why one may say to their family and friends they just don’t recognize a prophet when they see one and then quote “a prophet is not without Honour, except in his own house” when even prophets which went out into the world ...there was no city, no country, no land, or no house that will recognize or Honour them as prophets except for that which He went to prepare and comes from above.

Last edited:

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

And that is why we are told to rejoice!

Reactions: Nancy and ScottA

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not exactly. How far from home must one travel to receive Honour? Especially since Honour only comes from God?
regardless of whether one believes there are no more prophets today or not. Is it safe to say none were received well by the world?

In what country, land, house, or city does any prophet have Honour? Could be wrong but it appears never: in or by the world. Hebrews 11:14-16 For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. [15] And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. [16] But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.

Regardless of which version still they(the prophets) seeked “that is, an heavenly” same as while in the flesh there is dishonour...Honour only in the Spirit. 2 Corinthians 5:1-2 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. [2]

Why does it matter? Because I’m questioning why one may say to their family and friends they just don’t recognize a prophet when they see one and then quote “a prophet is not without Honour, except in his own house” when even prophets which went out into the world ...there was no city, no country, no land, or no house that will recognize or Honour them as prophets except for that which He went to prepare and comes from above.

"How far from home must one travel to receive Honour? <---Just down some pegs :) Especially since Honour only comes from God?"<---He lifts us up ...sry, OT. :oops:

Prophets of old were beginning to establish The Kingdom of God on Earth. "on Earth as it is in Heaven" Kind of like that glass we see darkly...I see this world as in a mirror, upside down...

They never, seemed to have good news to those opposed to God. They did not like the news/warnings because they loved the darkness more than the light , the pleasures of the flesh, debauchery... The Prophets of old were scoffed at,Run out of town, and some killed.

"Is it safe to say none were received well by the world?" For sure!

"For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:.."
So hard to imagine...Come Lord Jesus, come Revelation 22:20
Nice post