A repentant heart vs. the gall of bitterness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity. (Acts 8:20-23)

Simon the sorcerer was a believer and was Baptized by Phillip. He is an example of the modern-day believer, who claims the prize but does not want to pay the price. His heart was never repentant, instead he saw the gifts of the Spirit as an opportunity to enrich himself as do many preachers in the day we are living in. Simon, as a sorcerer, wanted these powers to make himself a more potent sorcerer, Peter saw right through his heart to his motives, and perceived the gall of bitterness.

A repentant heart is the only person that will receive the fulness of the Holy Ghost. Until then the gall of bitterness will rule our lives. What motivates you to desire the gifts of the Spirit? is it to enrich yourself, to empower you, to improve your status in the church? All of these things are the pride of life, and James writes: "Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." (James 4:3)

Examine your motives, is your heart repentant, or is it in the gall of bitterness?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money. Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee.
For I perceive that thou art in the gall of bitterness, and in the bond of iniquity. (Acts 8:20-23)

Simon the sorcerer was a believer and was Baptized by Phillip. He is an example of the modern-day believer, who claims the prize but does not want to pay the price. His heart was never repentant, instead he saw the gifts of the Spirit as an opportunity to enrich himself as do many preachers in the day we are living in. Simon, as a sorcerer, wanted these powers to make himself a more potent sorcerer, Peter saw right through his heart to his motives, and perceived the gall of bitterness.

A repentant heart is the only person that will receive the fulness of the Holy Ghost. Until then the gall of bitterness will rule our lives. What motivates you to desire the gifts of the Spirit? is it to enrich yourself, to empower you, to improve your status in the church? All of these things are the pride of life, and James writes: "Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." (James 4:3)

Examine your motives, is your heart repentant, or is it in the gall of bitterness?

What motivates me for the gifts is simply to HAVE them in order to further His Kingdom.
God gives to whom He will but we are to desire these gifts for His purposes, amen.
The gall of bitterness can grab hold if we let it...cannot ever stay there but for a moment before repenting in tears when seeing how He has blessed me so. We should be content as Paul was, in ANY situation or trials. I wonder how many now a days would rejoice in prison in chains...
Good post David.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
AMEN

Unfortunately too many ppl whether they are in a position of carrying the word in the church or not, seek blessings to further themselves.

Today with satan on a rampage as he nears the end to destroy faith, too many have believed his lies and will be damned. They have bought into the lie of being taught how to speak in tongues as being the supremacy of the Spirit

The Holy Ghost is not an extra that we are blessed with but HE has a work, function, manifestation and gifts to distribute through the chuch AS HE WILL !

Yes, I have been baptized in the Holy Spirit with the initial evidience of tongues. The Spirit at times will pray through me to our Father when I cannot .

My only gifts are a called teacher, a word of knowledge & wisdom and helps. There is an empowerment that is received and a knowledge in the word of those whom are blessed to be so endued.

So many today are like the sorcerer Simon.
So many will end their journey in the lof bc of such.

Reactions: David H. and Nancy

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Cor.141/2 ( cxt)
Follow after charity, and desire SPIRITUAL GIFTS, but rather that ye may prophesy.
For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the Spirit he speaketh mysteries.

@Dropship
Above says to DESIRE spiritual gifts so I dont know the answer but I assure you the answer is in the word !

We all can receive the GIFT of salvation, if we accept after repentance for it is offered freely.

Ep.4:6-9 ( cxt )
v.7 But unto every one of us ( believers ) is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

1 Cor.12:29-31 ( cxt )
V.31 But covet earnestly the best gifts: and yet I shew you a more excellent way.

This clause here is talking about gifts to seek that edify the church.
1Cor. 1410-13 ( cxt )
Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of SPIRITUAL GIFTS , seek that ye may excel to edify the church.

Nothing we receive is for our us, nothing spiritual we receive is for our personal use but it is all to the glorifying of God!

Simon and many others want what they see from God for their own glory.

Last edited:

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do ALL Christians have gifts?

The Holy Ghost has gifts for all believers, But they must be willing to receive them. There is a large segment of the church that does not believe the gifts of the Spirit are for us and therefore they never receive them (Cessationists). When your heart desires the gifts, and then when you witness them in others a repentant heart will ensue. All revivals are born in movements of mass repentance, these revivals have the gifts of the Spirit imparted to those believers. No repentance, no gifts.... the heart has to be right to receive these gifts. The gall of bitterness is desiring these gifts for self-gain and prestige rather than edification of the church and to glorify God. This is man's fallen state, and flesh motivating them.... the bond of iniquity as the verses above call it. So I would say all Christians should seek the gifts which are given to those with a repentant heart. Some People also teach that once we are saved we no longer need to repent, which is Laodicean Doctrine, "We are rich and in need of nothing", Repentance of the heart is the emptying of the vessel that is self and allowing it to be filled by the Holy Spirit. When we are overflowing with the Spirit is when the gifts of the Spirit will manifest.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Holy Ghost has gifts for all believers, But they must be willing to receive them. There is a large segment of the church that does not believe the gifts of the Spirit are for us and therefore they never receive them (Cessationists). When your heart desires the gifts, and then when you witness them in others a repentant heart will ensue. All revivals are born in movements of mass repentance, these revivals have the gifts of the Spirit imparted to those believers. No repentance, no gifts.... the heart has to be right to receive these gifts. The gall of bitterness is desiring these gifts for self-gain and prestige rather than edification of the church and to glorify God. This is man's fallen state, and flesh motivating them.... the bond of iniquity as the verses above call it. So I would say all Christians should seek the gifts which are given to those with a repentant heart. Some People also teach that once we are saved we no longer need to repent, which is Laodicean Doctrine, "We are rich and in need of nothing", Repentance of the heart is the emptying of the vessel that is self and allowing it to be filled by the Holy Spirit. When we are overflowing with the Spirit is when the gifts of the Spirit will manifest.

Hello David,
Can there be semi Cessationists? I've not seen in decades of going to church's anything of the Spiritual gifts EXCEPT for everyone speaking in tongues at the same time. Never witnessed a miraculous healing though have prayed with all I had when my mom, dad, and sister were dying.
I do believe all the gifts are in action today only, not so much in the Western countries as, we are spoiled and lack the kind of faith to move these mountains. Simple people in the smaller pockets of the world I can see having this kind of faith so, my bet is that these gifts are way more active over there. JM2C
BTW-this is NOT a lack of faith speaking...

Reactions: David H.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello David,
Can there be semi Cessationists? I've not seen in decades of going to church's anything of the Spiritual gifts EXCEPT for everyone speaking in tongues at the same time. Never witnessed a miraculous healing though have prayed with all I had when my mom, dad, and sister were dying.
I do believe all the gifts are in action today only, not so much in the Western countries as, we are spoiled and lack the kind of faith to move these mountains. Simple people in the smaller pockets of the world I can see having this kind of faith so, my bet is that these gifts are way more active over there. JM2C
BTW-this is NOT a lack of faith speaking...

My personal view is that this is the state of the church today, there is a repentance problem. Thus, only the gift of Tongues will manifest, and it stops there. All revivals are born out of grief and repentance, but we have a church that denies the need for the Born-again believer to repent on the large part, particularly in the west. Their focus is on worldly things, worldly kingdoms, their riches, their buildings, their programs, instead of seeing a thrice holy God which is what leads to repentant heart. In countries where churches are underground this is not a problem, because they do not have these distractions. Their gaze is fixed on the cross, and the Almighty Holy God, at the foot of the cross, we see all our flaws and how much we need that cross to redeem and regenerate and renew us continually.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My personal view is that this is the state of the church today, there is a repentance problem. Thus, only the gift of Tongues will manifest, and it stops there. All revivals are born out of grief and repentance, but we have a church that denies the need for the Born-again believer to repent on the large part, particularly in the west. Their focus is on worldly things, worldly kingdoms, their riches, their buildings, their programs, instead of seeing a thrice holy God which is what leads to repentant heart. In countries where churches are underground this is not a problem, because they do not have these distractions. Their gaze is fixed on the cross, and the Almighty Holy God, at the foot of the cross, we see all our flaws and how much we need that cross to redeem and regenerate and renew us continually.
Amen, and fully agree brother. Just imagine what could happen were the lukewarm truly put their faith to practice rather than worrying about their numbers in a building.