A Unitarian Christian

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello All!

Was not sure how to identify myself upon registering. Elsewhere orthodox are adamant that only trinitarians can be Christians. I had trouble finding a 'reply' but in other threads, which made me wonder if my registration is complete.

Anyway, I look forward to many interesting discussions.

Wrangler

Reactions: amadeus

Whetstone

Feb 10, 2021
Out There Somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome. I sympathise. I too found the choices somewhat limited and restrictive.

I have a friend in a Unitarian Church and was interested to understand what they believed.

We are in 2021 now. I really do feel it's time all people should be looking to find ways to come together, to listen to and tolerate each other's views and experiences no matter what their beliefs are. I would love to hear from Christians, Buddhists, Muslins, Hindus, Zoroastrianists and all the rest. There is wisdom to be found in all these ancient belief systems and many people would likely be surprised at some of the "not so obvious" secrets and hidden meanings that are actually to be found consistently in the works of all these religions.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello All!

Was not sure how to identify myself upon registering. Elsewhere orthodox are adamant that only trinitarians can be Christians. I had trouble finding a 'reply' but in other threads, which made me wonder if my registration is complete.

Wrangler
Welcome to the forum. There is no requirement here that a person specify to which, if any, denomination or group he belongs... although many have identified themselves in that way.

I have never been a Unitarian, but I was an active member in Oneness, Jesus Only groups.. [Jesus equals the One God] for 11 years ending in 1987. Since then... growing as I can and as God allows me closer to Him without a single word definition or label. Is that OK?

Give God the glory!

Reactions: Wrangler

Looking4Me

Feb 5, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Hello All!

Wrangler
What makes a Christian exactly? Is it the denomination you belong to? Is it the traditions of the theologians you follow? Is it fitting in with the beliefs of religious leaders?

This kind of Christianity reminds me of this verse.

(You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel)

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What makes a Christian exactly?

I'm sorry but I did not see this thread until just now. What makes a Christian is exactly following the teachings of and model the grace-filled life of Jesus, Anointed by God.

Is it the denomination you belong to? Is it the traditions of the theologians you follow? Is it fitting in with the beliefs of religious leaders?

This kind of Christianity reminds me of this verse.

(You strain out a gnat but swallow a camel)

Not sure what you mean by any of this.

Looking4Me

Feb 5, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
I'm sorry but I did not see this thread until just now. What makes a Christian is exactly following the teachings of and model the grace-filled life of Jesus, Anointed by God.

Not sure what you mean by any of this.
Jesus died for what he believed. Are you believers willing to do the same?

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
now that people are free to choose and are not killed or thrown in jail for not accepting the trinity, the non trin churches seem to be growing a lot. its sad you gotta have an army to enforce church doctrine on the people. not the way of Jesus at all.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus died for what he believed. Are you believers willing to do the same?

Willing to die for your beliefs is the only standard that matters if you are a Christ follower.

Otherwise, you are luke warm. Our society today falsely equate words with action. Talk is cheap. Real commitment is to the death. Why do you ask this question?

Looking4Me

Feb 5, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
Willing to die for your beliefs is the only standard that matters if you are a Christ follower.

Otherwise, you are luke warm. Our society today falsely equate words with action. Talk is cheap. Real commitment is to the death. Why do you ask this question?
Why do I ask that question? I guess it's because human beings will believe things to live for, but rarely choose something worth dying for.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What makes a Christian exactly?
A Christian is one who believe that Jesus is God the Son who became Man to die for our sins and rise again for our justification. To believe on the Lord Jesus Christ is to also believe that the triune Godhead consists of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. So you cannot really be a Christian until and unless you believe in the deity of Christ and the reality of the Trinity. Christian baptism is in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.

Looking4Me

Feb 5, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
A Christian is one who believe that Jesus is God the Son who became Man to die for our sins and rise again for our justification. To believe on the Lord Jesus Christ is to also believe that the triune Godhead consists of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. So you cannot really be a Christian until and unless you believe in the deity of Christ and the reality of the Trinity. Christian baptism is in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.
How does believing something make something real. If I believe there is a alien in my closet and I am insistent it is really there, is it really there because I believe so strongly?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. I don't know what that is either.

OK, well the history of unitarianism goes back to the beginning. The Bible was compiled by trinitarians but written by Jews, who are unitarians and reject trinitarianism to this day.

Hebrews use a different term, monotheism, but the difference is subtle. Although there is a church by the name, it no longer even considers itself Christian. So, the term 'unitarianism' began as part of the Protestant Reformation. It holds that God consists of 1 being.

Normally, defenders of trinitarianism reveal their true passion is the 'man is god' thesis. Focusing on the 3rd 'person', I hold there is no such person. That God, who is the Father, in his unitarian nature, is Spirit. His Spirit is Holy.

Now, as to the Son of God, which a reversal of terms has no legitimacy, his unique nature is indispensable, being Man's only mediator between us and God. Consider how the resurrected Jesus refers to his God in John 20:17 and Revelations 3 and the fact that the trinity is not in the Bible. There is only one God and that is Jesus' God. More to the point, there is no verse in the Bible that says something to the effect that the only way to be saved is to believe in the trinity.

I hold trinitarianism, a 4th century construct, violates the 1C & 2C.

Looking4Me

Feb 5, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Other Faith
Country
Australia
OK, well the history of unitarianism goes back to the beginning. The Bible was compiled by trinitarians but written by Jews, who are unitarians and reject trinitarianism to this day.

Hebrews use a different term, monotheism, but the difference is subtle. Although there is a church by the name, it no longer even considers itself Christian. So, the term 'unitarianism' began as part of the Protestant Reformation. It holds that God consists of 1 being.

Normally, defenders of trinitarianism reveal their true passion is the 'man is god' thesis. Focusing on the 3rd 'person', I hold there is no such person. That God, who is the Father, in his unitarian nature, is Spirit. His Spirit is Holy.

Now, as to the Son of God, which a reversal of terms has no legitimacy, his unique nature is indispensable, being Man's only mediator between us and God. Consider how the resurrected Jesus refers to his God in John 20:17 and Revelations 3 and the fact that the trinity is not in the Bible. There is only one God and that is Jesus' God. More to the point, there is no verse in the Bible that says something to the effect that the only way to be saved is to believe in the trinity.

I hold trinitarianism, a 4th century construct, violates the 1C & 2C.
So how do you combine God the father; Jesus the spirit; and the Holy Ghost as one?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how do you combine God the father; Jesus the spirit; and the Holy Ghost as one?

I don’t.

The one is God. I think I already explained there is no 3rd person or being. Me and my shadow are not 2 beings or persons. Neither is God, who is Spirit and His Spirit is Holy.

Jesus is a man, chosen by God to reconcile all things to Himself. After God raised this man from the dead (in a new, glorified body) He gave this man all authority.

Acts explains this man was adopted by God at the resurrection. “I am your Father; Today you have become my son.” This adoption is how we Saints all become children of God. See 1 Peter 1:3

A great book on topic is When Jesus Became God. It details the final days of the Roman Empire in the 4th century. Some emperors were Arian’s (unitarian) others were trinitarian. They viciously persecuted each other.