A very common question...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Asked by atheists/agnostics, and even Christians who desire a better understanding of the nature of the God we love and serve, often grapple with the question, and justifiably so, if God is so powerful and loving, why is there so much evil?
I think the video before offers us all an excellent biblical answer.

Reactions: Nancy

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Asked by atheists/agnostics, and even Christians who desire a better understanding of the nature of the God we love and serve, often grapple with the question, and justifiably so, if God is so powerful and loving, why is there so much evil?
Hey, I personally know that brother who posted that video. Good ol' brother Mike Bordis (volunteered and serves out at Amazing Facts).

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey bro. Good to see you back. It's a good presentation. I posted it to an atheist discussion forum as well.
Yeah, I like that presentation. I have the series of DVDs up to 7 I think. I am going to be posting them on youtube and Internet Archive sometime. Have a few things to post first.

Cristo Rei

Apr 30, 2020
In Christ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
if God is so powerful and loving, why is there so much evil?

It's certainly something i have pondered but even more so, for me, was the question of pain and suffering.
I thought they were linked to evil at one stage but it seems i was incorrect about that. They can be but not always.
I'll try and get around to watching that soon

Reactions: Brakelite

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has the ability to bring good out of evil, suffering is good for us Phil 1:29 keeps us humble, persecution is good for the church, the blood of the martyrs is the seed of the faith,

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Well worth watching ...concise in its objective and clear in its presentation!

Reactions: Brakelite

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
It's certainly something i have pondered but even more so, for me, was the question of pain and suffering.
I thought they were linked to evil at one stage but it seems i was incorrect about that. They can be but not always.
I'll try and get around to watching that soon
Yes, pain and suffering is a different issue and not always caused by "evil", for example, natural disasters. However, the biblical vindication of the character of God is still upheld on the same basis as "evil". Although perhaps a little harder to deal with. Seemingly innocent people suffer either way. God can be trusted.

Reactions: Cristo Rei

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In general, I think that we are all aware that this earth and universe, as we know it now, is not the final destination for God's saints and Christ's Kingdom. Meaning, by design, we are not currently living in Paradise nor meant to be. To me, this is clearly a trial period, a time to separate the sheep from the goats, and time to distinguish and gather the flock that belongs to the Shephard.

With that in mind, testing, trials and tribulations are required - why was Adam tempted, for one, to reveal his heart. Similarly, we don't know who are friends are until a crisis occurs. Also, all the disciples were convinced that they would never renounce Christ even unto death, prior to his passion. Evil in this world has been a major catalyst for many to deny God's existence, even though their lives may have been blessed - we see their true colours now, they're making excuses.

But, more philosophically, there is no evil if there is no gauge to determine what's right and wrong. If someone is offended by the catastrophes and atrocities that are in this world, they need to ask why - no other creature gives it a second thought. Dogs and cats don't hold funeral services or offer eulogies for their lost ones, birds don't protest injustices when their food is stolen or babies killed. Man clearly does, even the atheist. Thus, to protest evil, is to admit that there is an over-arching consciousness of justice in all humans - protoplasm and stardust cannot be the source of this awareness and conviction.

Last edited:
Reactions: David H.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But, more philosophically, there is no evil if there is no gauge to determine what's right and wrong.
An interesting statement. So I would suggest that there is no greater gauge of right and wrong, and therefore understanding the nature of evil, than the life of Christ, Who was/is the express image of the Father. Studying the life of Christ... Allowing the truths of His teachings... Surrendering to the holy Spirit that the character of Christ may be assimilated into our lives... This is our best defense against all unrighteousness. It is called righteousness by faith. Imputed at the cross, imparted throughout our lives through His word. Christ, the focus, centerpoint, the central hub of all godliness. Which is the gospel.
KJV Romans 6:6
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
The alternative is to trust man. Philosophy. The church. No man can have two masters. One cannot entrust his eternal destiny to man.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
An interesting statement. So I would suggest that there is no greater gauge of right and wrong, and therefore understanding the nature of evil, than the life of Christ, Who was/is the express image of the Father. Studying the life of Christ... Allowing the truths of His teachings... Surrendering to the holy Spirit that the character of Christ may be assimilated into our lives... This is our best defense against all unrighteousness. It is called righteousness by faith. Imputed at the cross, imparted throughout our lives through His word. Christ, the focus, centerpoint, the central hub of all godliness. Which is the gospel.
KJV Romans 6:6
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
The alternative is to trust man. Philosophy. The church. No man can have two masters. One cannot entrust his eternal destiny to man.
Yes Backlit, you are correct, but, I believe, only to one who already agrees that such a principle as justice and righteousness exists. For us, Christ is the paradigm for perfection, but to an atheist, a shallow perspective, he may appear as a deluded and idle fool - catering to the weak and lost?

We're hoping that if one has enough of a sense of morality to conclude that evil exists, that they may also have enough insight to recognize that the notion is meaningless without there being an objective standard, to either criticize or approve of certain actions. So, it's not necessarily the perfect rules that are in question to the atheist, but that is there even such a thing as evil. The minute one says yes, the obligatory question is, compared to what, and how come - animals kill indiscriminately every day, conscious and justice free by all their peers.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
animals kill indiscriminately every day, conscious and justice free by all their peers.
I disagree with this. They hunt and kill only that which they require for food or self defense. Not indiscriminate. But I get what you are saying. I would also at that that notion of the atheist... Prove that evil exists... Is it seems to me a fairly modem phenomenon. Officially at least as a 'movement'. I think you will find it's roots in the French revolution.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Without looking at the video and gaining any idea from other believers...the question posed -
if God is so powerful and loving, why is there so much evil?

We are eternal beings and this world is only a small part of where we will end up when our physical bodies expire. We have been given a free will to exercise good or evil while here on this earth. Most humans over a certain age of knowledge have a general idea when they are crossing the line of good and evil. God is not going to force us do the right thing. He is allowing us to make those choices ourselves. There will be a time when all men will be before the judgement seat of God so no-one gets away with sin without a trial.

He did not create evil in the world, man chose to be selfish and go his own way without God. People die because we live in a tent that is only temporary. Good people die and so do bad people. The decision they make here on earth will determine their destination when we leave here without their physical bodies.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Without looking at the video and gaining any idea from other believers...the question posed -

We are eternal beings and this world is only a small part of where we will end up when our physical bodies expire. We have been given a free will to exercise good or evil while here on this earth. Most humans over a certain age of knowledge have a general idea when they are crossing the line of good and evil. God is not going to force us do the right thing. He is allowing us to make those choices ourselves. There will be a time when all men will be before the judgement seat of God so no-one gets away sin without a trial.

He did not create evil in the world, man chose to be selfish and go his own way without God. People die because we live in a tent that is only temporary. Good people die and so do bad people. The decision they make here on earth will determine their destination when we leave here without their physical bodies.
Hi Angelina. How's home? Haven't been back for a few years now, my kids who are still there tell me there been some changes in the way people are thinking after the change in government and covid. Marches etc similar to America. Not finding any reason to come home.
Regarding your comments. I agree mostly. But it raises other questions. If God is so powerful, why can't he do something about natural disasters? And if we are supposed to have free will, why did the Bible say we are slaves to sin and we cannot help ourselves but to sin? And if sin started with Lucifer as the Bible suggests, why didn't God destroy Lucifer before he could make this mess here on earth... In fact didn't God throw Lucifer down to the earth where he became Satan and gave him certain freedoms to tempt men to evil? Surely God could have avoided all this catastrophe?

Reactions: Heart2Soul

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We are eternal beings and this world is only a small part of where we will end up when our physical bodies expire.
Oh Angelina....a slippery statement indeed and the core belief of all pagan views.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Angelina. How's home? Haven't been back for a few years now, my kids who are still there tell me there been some changes in the way people are thinking after the change in government and covid. Marches etc similar to America. Not finding any reason to come home.
Regarding your comments. I agree mostly. But it raises other questions. If God is so powerful, why can't he do something about natural disasters? And if we are supposed to have free will, why did the Bible say we are slaves to sin and we cannot help ourselves but to sin? And if sin started with Lucifer as the Bible suggests, why didn't God destroy Lucifer before he could make this mess here on earth... In fact didn't God throw Lucifer down to the earth where he became Satan and gave him certain freedoms to tempt men to evil? Surely God could have avoided all this catastrophe?

Hi @Backlit. We have been extremely blessed as a country so far. No new strain in the community or old strain of Covid 19. Every virus has been caught at the borders so far. We did have a BLM march at one time and we had a few hundred people came out against wearing masks but a lot of those incidents were staged by a number of conspiracy theorists that managed infiltrate our common sense.

I think this has got to be the safest place in the world to be at the moment but things can and do change. We basically are back to our original freedoms but minus the overseas tourists. Most Kiwi folk are traveling and discovering their own back yard and it's been wonderful to see. I haven't gone on holiday yet but will be going down to Wellington fro Auckland. Should be awesome. What part of Aussie do you live?o_O

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here's the thing....even with satan out of the picture, mankind still might have fallen. Look at what will happen during the millennial reign while satan is bound a thousand years.

Reactions: Angelina

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Oh Angelina....a slippery statement indeed and the core belief of all pagan views.

Not at all. We are tripartite beings. We are a spirit just like God is Spirit [John 4:24][Romans 8:16], we live in a body [2 Corinthians 5:2-4][1 Corinthians 6:19-20] and we have a soul [Romans 2:9][1 Peter 1:9]

Hebrews 4:12 says:
2 For the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power [making it active, operative, energizing, and effective]; it is sharper than any two-edged sword, penetrating to the dividing line of the breath of life (soul) and [the immortal] (spirit), and of joints and marrow. physical [of the deepest parts of our nature], exposing and sifting and analyzing and judging the very thoughts and purposes of the heart.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi @Backlit. We have been extremely blessed as a country so far. No new strain in the community or old strain of Covid 19. Every virus has been caught at the borders so far. We did have a BLM march at one time and we had a few hundred people came out against wearing masks but a lot of those incidents were staged by a number of conspiracy theorists that managed infiltrate our common sense.

I think this has got to be the safest place in the world to be at the moment but things can and do change. We basically are back to our original freedoms but minus the overseas tourists. Most Kiwi folk are traveling and discovering their own back yard and it's been wonderful to see. I haven't gone on holiday yet but will be going down to Wellington fro Auckland. Should be awesome. What part of Aussie do you live?o_O
I'm in Melbourne. Summer just started here this week with temperatures finally over 30. Aaaaah, love it.