A very simple question.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I have been involved in a debate in the testimony forum. http://www.christianityboard.com/forum/47-testimonial-forum/

Its getting out of hand and like most disccussions it has grown all out of proportion.

This is the heart of the discussion,

Are tounges for all its really simple yes or no question if you know the scriptures in reguard to tounges.

We Have one side of the debate saying God Does Not Want All Speaking In Tounges. And uses this verse as proof.

Proof being that clearly all dont have these gifts

1Cor 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

The other side quotes this verse

1Cor 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues,

Proof being clearly stated what God/Paul wants for all.

So I would like to ask the learned people the leaders Or at the very least the staff who run the site.forum. The people who are prepared to stand on the day of Judgement and face God. James 3:1/ My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.
This is for misteaching Gods word.

This is not about who right and whos wrong. This is about truth of Gods word.

Thank you

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why does it matter. I have vrey rarely used it , we haver access to God with or witout it. Man has become to concerned with gifts and doing and leaves out the most important.

Mat 19:14 But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Its where every christian should be, at His feet filling there lamps with oil, becoming ready for teh trouble to come, but rather they boast of how they speak, and what they do, so what if one can speak in tongues , so can teh devil.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I asked for an answer not another debate. Please answer the question or leave it alone. I am seeking truth here.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The answer is yes, but you have to understand what Paul was talking about in 1 Cor 15:5. In THAT verse he was speaking of "tongues" that could be understood. In fact, he al ost seems to lampoon unkbown tongues in doing so.

Later in that chapter he talks about unknown tongues. You can do it in prayer, which according to Mat 6 shouldn't be done for all to hear.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sword said:
Hello I have been involved in a debate in the testimony forum. http://www.christianityboard.com/forum/47-testimonial-forum/

Its getting out of hand and like most disccussions it has grown all out of proportion.

Are tounges for all its really simple yes or no question if you know the scriptures in reguard to tounges.

We Have one side of the debate saying God Does Not Want All Speaking In Tounges. And uses this verse as proof.

1Cor 12:30 Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?

So I would like to ask the learned people the leaders Or at the very least the staff who run the site.forum. The people who are prepared to stand on the day of Judgement and face God. James 3:1/ My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.

Thank you
I don’t think it is possible to ask about speaking in tongues and not enter another debate. So, Sword, I am not going to answer the question but give you advice. I have had questions that no one could seem to settle for me. I was in a constant state of going between what others had to say about the subject matter because their arguments were always so convincing. But the questions remained and they will remain, until you go to God for the answers. I have asked God questions that took more than a year for Him to fully answer. God will answer though and when God answers a question you have, you will reach a mark where you will never ask that question again. When God answers a question, He solidifies it. Completely. You will never sway between opinions on the subject matter again. I am speaking of blunt, indisputable responses given by God that leads you down a path toward certainty. He is faithful and wants nothing more than to be the source of your confidence.

I will say this pertaining to tongues. I was always told that I had to speak in tongues as proof of the work of the Spirit in my life. I say there is better proof: ask God your questions, and watch the Spirit lead you to the answers you seek. Apart from man. God's answer is the only answer you can trust.

(1 John 2:27) "But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him."

Reactions: tabletalk

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Listen people I asked for the learned people to give there opinion. I never asked for a debate or advice.

Please can we now leave this to the leaders in here. Thank you. I knew there would be people jumping in with what was NOT asked for. Why cant you all do what I asked for? Please stop with the uncalled fopr posting.

So can we have the leaders and people in autority Teaches just answer the one simple question.

Thanks to the two poster who done what I asked for.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Simply NO, Some have the gift and may use it all the time others simply dont, As I said , does it matter. No it does not. I sat in a church where the pastor called up al those who wanted teh gift, and stood them all in a line , than told them you need to bablle to get teh gift working, It was the saddest thing I ever saw, straight from the devil himself, So talking in tongues it not necsesaraliy from God, even healing.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
mjrhealth said:
Simply NO, Some have the gift and may use it all the time others simply dont, As I said , does it matter. No it does not. I sat in a church where the pastor called up al those who wanted teh gift, and stood them all in a line , than told them you need to bablle to get teh gift working, It was the saddest thing I ever saw, straight from the devil himself, So talking in tongues it not necsesaraliy from God, even healing.
So what title do you come under my friend? Teacher? Leader? Staff? theologin? Minister? Pastor? I sent you a pm asking you not to get involved and let the leaders answer. I also asked if anyone who did say a short reply not to bring any other bagage. why could you not do my simple request for claritys sake?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
So waht you are after is te hanswer you want to hear, Yes Jesus spoke of them

2Ti_4:3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;

Do you think they have anything over God....

Go search for teh answer you want.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.

I know you already know this is my position, but just wanted to be a part of your tally.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Sword said:

Thank you
Sword,

There are a few principles that need to be kept in mind in dealing with this topic:

1. What happened on the Day of Pentecost (Acts 2) was that people heard tongues in their own languages (Acts 2:6).

2. That is not what happens in 1 Cor 12-14. Paul taught the Corinthians that tongues is a Spirit-given gift that is designed for:
a. Speaking to God in a language nobody understands and they are mysteries in the Spirit. This person builds up himself/herself (1 Cor 14:2, 4);
b. When there is a manifestation of tongues in the church gathering, it MUST be accompanied by the gift of interpretation 'so that the church may be built up (edified)' (1 Cor 14:5).

3. The emphasis throughout 1 Cor 12-14, but especially ch 14, is one of intelligibility. What happens in the church gathering must be understood by all.

4. This is the verse THAT CLINCHES THE ANSWER TO THIS TOPIC. It states that the gift of tongues is NOT for everyone and it is found in 1 Cor 12:30, part of which reads, 'Do all speak with tongues? The Greek construction uses the negative me which anticipates a 'No' answer. The construction is: μὴ πάντες γλώσσαις λαλοῦσιν = me pantes glwssais lalousin = not all tongues speak. Therefore, Paul clearly teaches that NOT ALL will speak in tongues.

5. However, it is his desire that 'I want you all to speak in tongues' (1 Cor 14:5). But we know from 1 Cor 12:30 that the Spirit does not give tongues to all. He also stated that 'I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you' (1 Cor 14:18).

I hope this brings some clarity from the original language.

Oz

P.S. For your information, I am a Bible teacher, retired pastor, and an independent researcher who has a PhD in NT. I have taught NT Greek. I currently am teaching my way through 1 Cor with a group of seniors. We currently are in the latter verses of 1 Cor 14. This Wed we deal with the silence of women in the church (1 Cor 14:33-35).

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
nice. Hope you mention that there are no male and female in the kingdom, and that passage is likely speaking about the woman in all of us?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To the OP...

It seems you already have your answer in mind...

So why ask us?

Yet I agree with Oz and Wormwood that not all speak in tongues. But you seem to be questioning God's desire for all to speak in tongues by citing this verse:

Now I want you all to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues, unless someone interprets, so that the church may be built up. - 1 Corinthians 14:5

So I ask you did all of Paul's desires line up with God's desires in Scripture? Is this Paul's desire, or God's desire, or both?

I do not question Paul's authority. Nor do I question the authority of Scripture nor the fact that the Holy Spirit spoke through Paul. My question is who is the source of the desire?

I think we would both agree Paul did not believe himself to be God.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
justaname said:
It seems you already have your answer in mind...

So why ask us?
well i was really asking one person, and because i don't know, but i have heard the surely misunderstood lecture about how literal females should not say anything while in congregation, ignoring much other insightful Scripture on the matter, and hoped to plant a seed, is why.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
bbyrd009 said:
well i was really asking one person, and because i don't know, but i have heard the surely misunderstood lecture about how literal females should not say anything while in congregation, ignoring much other insightful Scripture on the matter, and hoped to plant a seed, is why.
Oops... :blink:

I meant this for the OP....LoL.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
bbyrd009 said:
"God Does Not Want All Speaking In Tongues" might not be how "the other side" would put that, Sword?
The other saide have spoken and that is what they said.

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
4. This is the verse THAT CLINCHES THE ANSWER TO THIS TOPIC. It states that the gift of tongues is NOT for everyone and it is found in 1 Cor 12:30, part of which reads, 'Do all speak with tongues? Therefore, Paul clearly teaches that NOT ALL will speak in tongues.

5. However, it is his desire that 'I want you all to speak in tongues' (1 Cor 14:5). But we know from that the Spirit does not give tongues to all. He also stated that 'I thank God that I speak in tongues more than all of you' (1 Cor 14:18).

So paul speaking for God said I want you all speaking in tougnes. So its God who said I WANT YOU ALL SPEAKING IN TOUNGES.

Then Paul speaking for God asked a question. Do all speak with tounges? The very very obvious answer is NO. They dont.

So why does the question asked By paul superseed, What God said He wanted for everyone? Paul merely stated a fact . You dont, But God wants you to have it.
I dont see how a question turns it in to a no for you.

So all the scriptures that say ask for anything and I will do it mean nothing to you. If God says I want you to talk in tounges and you say Ok Lord I want to talk in tounges. You are saying you might or might not get it, depends on the Holy Spirit if He things yes or no. So God and the Holy Spoirirt dont want the same thing You are saying. This is crazy blindness. and totally makes no sense what so ever. Total confusion.

God says I want you to have tounges and Then The Holy Ghost contadicts God and says maybe I will and maybe I wont who know. Total confusion