Abide in Christ

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Jesus desires that each of us as His disciples abide in Him, rest in Him, share His life, allow HIm to produce fruit in our life, yea, even much fruit, for in so doing the Father is glorified (Jn 15:8)

Abide (meno) in simple terms means to remain in the same place a period of time, to make one's self at home. John commands us to Abide in Him (Jesus) (1Jn 2:28), a command in the present imperative which calls for abiding to be our lifestyle, one of continuing intimate fellowship, something only possible as we learn to depend on the power of the Spirit (Jesus' example for us to imitate = Acts 10:38). We need to be continually filled by the Spirit (Eph 5:18-note) and we need to continually walk by the Spirit (Gal 5:16-note). Remember, God never commands us to do anything, that He does not also enable us to accomplish! Our daily "theme song" should be "I can't (in my power). He never said we could. But He can (in His power) and He always said He would!" Because of the New Covenant and our union with Christ, every believer "abides" in Him positionally (and eternally). However the fact that John issues the command to abide is a call for our daily experience to match our eternal position! In short, to abide in Jesus is our responsibility and requires us to make choices to facilitate our abiding.

Abide - to wait for, to endure without yielding (think of times when you are tempted); to rest; to tarry; to bear patiently;

"It’s better to wear out than to rust out,” said Rev. Henry Lyte, a beloved pastor in the fishing village of Lower Brixham, Devonshire, England. He labored there for twenty-three years, preaching, writing, and composing hymns. His lungs began to fail when he was in his early fifties; on September 4, 1847, he entered the pulpit with difficulty and preached his final sermon, planning to leave the next day for a therapeutic trip to warmer coasts. That afternoon as he walked and prayed, this hymn came to him. En route to Italy, he sent a polished copy to his wife, then he checked into a hotel in Nice where he died. His last words were, “Peace! Joy!” (Near to the Heart of God - Rob Morgan)

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;

The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.

When other helpers fail and comforts flee,

Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day;

Earth’s joys grow dim; its glories pass away;

Change and decay in all around I see;

O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;

Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.

Heaven’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;

In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

--Henry F Lyte

The Greek word meno means to remain, stay, to stand fast, dwell, abide, continue, wait, last, endure, be permanent.

The Amplified version of 1Jn 2:27 has "so you must abide in (live in, never depart from) Him [being rooted in Him, knit to Him]… "

In classic Greek meno frequently carries the metaphoric meaning of being in a “sphere” or quality of life.

Psalm 9:7 But the LORD abides forever; He has established His throne for judgment,

Psalm 33:11 The counsel of the LORD stands forever, The plans of His heart from generation to generation.

Psalm 89:36 "His descendants shall endure forever And his throne as the sun before Me.

Psalm 102:12 But You, O LORD, abide forever, And Your name to all generations.

Psalm 111:3 Splendid and majestic is His work, And His righteousness endures forever.

Psalm 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments; His praise endures forever.

Psalm 112:3 Wealth and riches are in his house (the man who fears the LORD - Ps 112:1), And his righteousness endures forever.

Psalm 112:9 He has given freely to the poor, His righteousness endures forever; His horn will be exalted in honor.

Psalm 117:2 For His lovingkindness is great toward us, And the truth of the LORD is everlasting (remains). Praise the LORD!

Proverbs 19:21 Many plans are in a man's heart, But the counsel of the LORD will stand (abides for ever).

Isaiah 40:8 The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands (abides) forever.

Abide in the OT:

Ps 15:1 (A Psalm of David.) O LORD, who may abide in Thy tent? Who may dwell on Thy holy hill? 2 He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness, And speaks truth in his heart. (Observe the accepted man's walk, work, and word… Walking is of far more importance than talking. He only is right who is upright in walk and downright in honesty.)

Spurgeon - Jehovah. Thou high and holy One, who shall be permitted to have fellowship with thee? The heavens are not pure in thy sight, and thou chargest thine angels with folly, who then of mortal mould shall dwell with thee, thou dread consuming fire? A sense of the glory of the Lord and of the holiness which becomes his house, his service, and his attendants, excites the humble mind to ask the solemn question before us. Where angels bow with veiled faces, how shall man be able to worship at all? The unthinking many imagine it to be a very easy matter to approach the Most High, and when professedly engaged in his worship they have no questionings of heart as to their fitness for it; but truly humbled souls often shrink under a sense of utter unworthiness, and would not dare to approach the throne of the God of holiness if it were not for him, our Lord, our Advocate, who can abide in the heavenly temple, because his righteousness endureth for ever. "Who shall abide in thy tabernacle?" Who shall be admitted to be one of the household of God, to sojourn under his roof and enjoy communion with himself? … we shall clearly see that only our spotless Lord Jesus, and those who are conformed unto his image, can ever stand with acceptance before the Majesty on high.… Saints not only desire to love and speak truth with their lips, but they seek to be true within; they will not lie even in the closet of their hearts, for God is there to listen; they scorn double meanings, evasions, equivocations, white lies, flatteries, and deceptions. Though truths, like roses, have thorns about them, good men wear them in their bosoms. Our heart must be the sanctuary and refuge of truth, should it be banished from all the world beside, and hunted from among men; at all risk we must entertain the angel of truth, for truth is God's daughter. We must be careful that the heart is really fixed and settled in principle, for tenderness of conscience toward truthfulness, like the bloom on a peach, needs gentle handling, and once lost it were hard to regain it. Jesus was the mirror of sincerity and holiness. Oh, to be more and more fashioned after his similitude!

Ps 91:1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide (remain, lodge, root gives us the modern Hebrew word for hotel) in the shadow of the Almighty.

Ps 125:1 Those who trust in the LORD are as Mount Zion, which cannot be moved but abides forever.

ABIDE, O DEAREST JESUS,
Among us with Your grace,
That satan may not harm us,
Nor we to sin give place.

Abide, O dear Redeemer,
Among us with Your Word,
Now and ever after
True peace and rest afford.

Abide with heavenly brightness
Among us, precious Light;
Your truth direct, and keep us
From error’s gloomy night.

Abide with richest blessings
Among us, bounteous Lord;
Let us in grace and wisdom
Grow daily through Your Word.

Abide with Your protection
Our Shepherd and our King,
deliver from deception
And heavenly comfort bring.

Abide, O faithful Savior,
Among us with Your love;
Grant steadfastness, and help us
To reach our home above.

CHARACTER OF ABIDING IN JESUS -

Abiding in a reciprocal relationship - He abides in us and we abide in Him. Jesus promised in John 14:23: "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him."

To abide in Jesus is not a static relationship but an ever deepening, joyful, vital personal fellowship with Him.

Abiding speaks of being at home with Christ, comfortable with Him, enjoying unbroken fellowship, being open, honest and transparent. Abiding means maintaining a clean conscience. Abiding means we confess our sins quickly and seek repentance earnestly, ever eager to return to our first love (Rev 2:4-note).

Who would, after seeking the King’s palace, be content to stand in the door, when he is invited in to dwell in the King’s presence, and share with Him in all the glory of His royal life? Oh, let us enter in and abide, and enjoy to the full all the rich supply His wondrous love hath prepared for us! - Abide in Christ: Thoughts on the Blessed Life of Fellowship with the Son of God

Spurgeon - “You are to take care that you abide in Christ as much as if all depended upon yourself; and yet you can look to the promise of the covenant, and see that the real reason for your abiding in Christ lies in the operation of his unchanging love and grace.”

Fruit bearing is impossible without abiding; but it is inevitable with abiding.

Reactions: Episkopos

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus desires that each of us as His disciples abide in Him, rest in Him, share His life, allow HIm to produce fruit in our life, yea, even much fruit, for in so doing the Father is glorified (Jn 15:8)

Abide (meno) in simple terms means to remain in the same place a period of time, to make one's self at home. John commands us to Abide in Him (Jesus) (1Jn 2:28), a command in the present imperative which calls for abiding to be our lifestyle, one of continuing intimate fellowship, something only possible as we learn to depend on the power of the Spirit (Jesus' example for us to imitate = Acts 10:38). We need to be continually filled by the Spirit (Eph 5:18-note) and we need to continually walk by the Spirit (Gal 5:16-note). Remember, God never commands us to do anything, that He does not also enable us to accomplish! Our daily "theme song" should be "I can't (in my power). He never said we could. But He can (in His power) and He always said He would!" Because of the New Covenant and our union with Christ, every believer "abides" in Him positionally (and eternally). However the fact that John issues the command to abide is a call for our daily experience to match our eternal position! In short, to abide in Jesus is our responsibility and requires us to make choices to facilitate our abiding.

Abide - to wait for, to endure without yielding (think of times when you are tempted); to rest; to tarry; to bear patiently;

"It’s better to wear out than to rust out,” said Rev. Henry Lyte, a beloved pastor in the fishing village of Lower Brixham, Devonshire, England. He labored there for twenty-three years, preaching, writing, and composing hymns. His lungs began to fail when he was in his early fifties; on September 4, 1847, he entered the pulpit with difficulty and preached his final sermon, planning to leave the next day for a therapeutic trip to warmer coasts. That afternoon as he walked and prayed, this hymn came to him. En route to Italy, he sent a polished copy to his wife, then he checked into a hotel in Nice where he died. His last words were, “Peace! Joy!” (Near to the Heart of God - Rob Morgan)

Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;

The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide.

When other helpers fail and comforts flee,

Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day;

Earth’s joys grow dim; its glories pass away;

Change and decay in all around I see;

O Thou who changest not, abide with me.

Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;

Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.

Heaven’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee;

In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.

--Henry F Lyte

The Greek word meno means to remain, stay, to stand fast, dwell, abide, continue, wait, last, endure, be permanent.

The Amplified version of 1Jn 2:27 has "so you must abide in (live in, never depart from) Him [being rooted in Him, knit to Him]… "

In classic Greek meno frequently carries the metaphoric meaning of being in a “sphere” or quality of life.

Psalm 9:7 But the LORD abides forever; He has established His throne for judgment,

Psalm 33:11 The counsel of the LORD stands forever, The plans of His heart from generation to generation.

Psalm 89:36 "His descendants shall endure forever And his throne as the sun before Me.

Psalm 102:12 But You, O LORD, abide forever, And Your name to all generations.

Psalm 111:3 Splendid and majestic is His work, And His righteousness endures forever.

Psalm 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments; His praise endures forever.

Psalm 112:3 Wealth and riches are in his house (the man who fears the LORD - Ps 112:1), And his righteousness endures forever.

Psalm 112:9 He has given freely to the poor, His righteousness endures forever; His horn will be exalted in honor.

Psalm 117:2 For His lovingkindness is great toward us, And the truth of the LORD is everlasting (remains). Praise the LORD!

Proverbs 19:21 Many plans are in a man's heart, But the counsel of the LORD will stand (abides for ever).

Isaiah 40:8 The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands (abides) forever.

Abide in the OT:

Ps 15:1 (A Psalm of David.) O LORD, who may abide in Thy tent? Who may dwell on Thy holy hill? 2 He who walks with integrity, and works righteousness, And speaks truth in his heart. (Observe the accepted man's walk, work, and word… Walking is of far more importance than talking. He only is right who is upright in walk and downright in honesty.)

Spurgeon - Jehovah. Thou high and holy One, who shall be permitted to have fellowship with thee? The heavens are not pure in thy sight, and thou chargest thine angels with folly, who then of mortal mould shall dwell with thee, thou dread consuming fire? A sense of the glory of the Lord and of the holiness which becomes his house, his service, and his attendants, excites the humble mind to ask the solemn question before us. Where angels bow with veiled faces, how shall man be able to worship at all? The unthinking many imagine it to be a very easy matter to approach the Most High, and when professedly engaged in his worship they have no questionings of heart as to their fitness for it; but truly humbled souls often shrink under a sense of utter unworthiness, and would not dare to approach the throne of the God of holiness if it were not for him, our Lord, our Advocate, who can abide in the heavenly temple, because his righteousness endureth for ever. "Who shall abide in thy tabernacle?" Who shall be admitted to be one of the household of God, to sojourn under his roof and enjoy communion with himself? … we shall clearly see that only our spotless Lord Jesus, and those who are conformed unto his image, can ever stand with acceptance before the Majesty on high.… Saints not only desire to love and speak truth with their lips, but they seek to be true within; they will not lie even in the closet of their hearts, for God is there to listen; they scorn double meanings, evasions, equivocations, white lies, flatteries, and deceptions. Though truths, like roses, have thorns about them, good men wear them in their bosoms. Our heart must be the sanctuary and refuge of truth, should it be banished from all the world beside, and hunted from among men; at all risk we must entertain the angel of truth, for truth is God's daughter. We must be careful that the heart is really fixed and settled in principle, for tenderness of conscience toward truthfulness, like the bloom on a peach, needs gentle handling, and once lost it were hard to regain it. Jesus was the mirror of sincerity and holiness. Oh, to be more and more fashioned after his similitude!

Ps 91:1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide (remain, lodge, root gives us the modern Hebrew word for hotel) in the shadow of the Almighty.

Ps 125:1 Those who trust in the LORD are as Mount Zion, which cannot be moved but abides forever.

ABIDE, O DEAREST JESUS,
Among us with Your grace,
That satan may not harm us,
Nor we to sin give place.

Abide, O dear Redeemer,
Among us with Your Word,
Now and ever after
True peace and rest afford.

Abide with heavenly brightness
Among us, precious Light;
Your truth direct, and keep us
From error’s gloomy night.

Abide with richest blessings
Among us, bounteous Lord;
Let us in grace and wisdom
Grow daily through Your Word.

Abide with Your protection
Our Shepherd and our King,
deliver from deception
And heavenly comfort bring.

Abide, O faithful Savior,
Among us with Your love;
Grant steadfastness, and help us
To reach our home above.

CHARACTER OF ABIDING IN JESUS -

Abiding in a reciprocal relationship - He abides in us and we abide in Him. Jesus promised in John 14:23: "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him."

To abide in Jesus is not a static relationship but an ever deepening, joyful, vital personal fellowship with Him.

Abiding speaks of being at home with Christ, comfortable with Him, enjoying unbroken fellowship, being open, honest and transparent. Abiding means maintaining a clean conscience. Abiding means we confess our sins quickly and seek repentance earnestly, ever eager to return to our first love (Rev 2:4-note).

Who would, after seeking the King’s palace, be content to stand in the door, when he is invited in to dwell in the King’s presence, and share with Him in all the glory of His royal life? Oh, let us enter in and abide, and enjoy to the full all the rich supply His wondrous love hath prepared for us! - Abide in Christ: Thoughts on the Blessed Life of Fellowship with the Son of God

Spurgeon - “You are to take care that you abide in Christ as much as if all depended upon yourself; and yet you can look to the promise of the covenant, and see that the real reason for your abiding in Christ lies in the operation of his unchanging love and grace.”

Fruit bearing is impossible without abiding; but it is inevitable with abiding.
Obedience is the key Joe.