About Fasting

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On another forum, several people trashed a certain book. So, of course, I immediately had to grab myself a copy. (Bless all the "Haters" who open so much of the word of God to me.... while trying their best to destroy it.)

What do you think of these words in the book?

Some have exalted religious fasting beyond all Scripture and reason; and others have utterly disregarded it. — JOHN WESLEY

In a culture where the landscape is dotted with shrines to the Golden Arches and an assortment of Pizza Temples, fasting seems out of place, out of step with the times. In fact, fasting has been in general disrepute both in and outside the Church for many years. For example, in my research I could not find a single book published on the subject of Christian fasting from 1861 to 1954, a period of nearly one hundred years. More recently a renewed interest in fasting has developed, but we have far to go to recover a biblical balance. What would account for this almost total disregard of a subject so frequently mentioned in Scripture and so ardently practiced by Christians through the centuries?

Any thoughts?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On another forum, several people trashed a certain book. So, of course, I immediately had to grab myself a copy. (Bless all the "Haters" who open so much of the word of God to me.... while trying their best to destroy it.)

LoL.
For example, in my research I could not find a single book published on the subject of Christian fasting from 1861 to 1954, a period of nearly one hundred years.

Very interesting.
What would account for this almost total disregard of a subject so frequently mentioned in Scripture and so ardently practiced by Christians through the centuries?

You know I haven't the foggiest actually. You would maybe have to trace how fleshly much of Christian theology became during this time as well. As I recall, during this period, especially within Protestantism, there was a trend towards the sermon being the focal point of services. It was viewed as a type of performance; an oration that was graded on how well-packaged and well-delivered it was. I think this created a sort of artificial faith in some ways. It was the beginnings of the Christian entertainment we see today in many other forms, and in such an environment something strenuous like fasting probably didn't really have a place. Sure they focused more on keeping moral codes and following the "golden rule," which were good things to do. But there was a superficiality as regards delving into the realms of Christian experience.

So what was this thread where they were trashing a book? I've begun a long fast, so I'm interested in the subject.

Reactions: Nancy and Truth

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well, for the first decade of our christian life we did as we were taught....so fasting was part of it.
I had read how that it causes us to think clearing in the Spirit .
I found as the years went by, that people seemed to think that fasting in some way changed God mind and caused Him to take better note of our prayers and answer them.

A friends wife had cancer and was headed downhill fast.
Another friend of ours told the Lord that he would fast continually on clear broth until she was healed.
Five months later she died...our friend was about 50 lb thinner. But also became bitter , he felt that the Holy Spirit had spoken to him to fast for her until she was healed.

It came to me that if the inner heart is not fasting, then starving the body does nothing. Fasting is 'to me' is a spiritual thing...not a physical thing.
..a little like.." Bodily exercise profits us little... but godliness is profitable unto all things, .."
Fasting does not make us more godly...but as our friend @bbyrd009 will say ... it is good for our bodily health...

Isaiah 58-5 "Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?

Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward."

. . . .th2cents.gif

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another friend of ours told the Lord that he would fast continually on clear broth until she was healed.
Five months later she died...our friend was about 50 lb thinner. But also became bitter , he felt that the Holy Spirit had spoken to him to fast for her until she was healed.

There are some misconceptions about fasting that end up in places like this. I do believe that fasting increases the possibility of receiving answers to prayer, especially prayers for things like spiritual gifts, but it is first and foremost because it does just that; it drives us to PRAYER. The two need to go together. I find that when my flesh is strong and I'm eating a lot, I pray far less, if at all sometimes. If I'm fasting however, I am praying incessantly.

Earnest and incessant prayer is what brings things like miracles (Acts 12:5-17), not fasting. But fasting facilitates prayer. Now there are a few verses that strongly suggest it can bring spiritual empowerment. Matthew 6:16-18 suggests that when we fast God will reward us openly if we don't seek being honored by men for doing so. So in what way does He reward us "openly" after fasting? I think part of the reward is greater spiritual authority among men, including supernatural empowerment. Many of the more authoritative texts in Mark 9:29 have Jesus saying that certain demons would only come out through prayer and fasting.

I'm currently reading a book by Mahesh Chavda, who went on numerous 40 day fasts and ended up manifesting great supernatural power in Christ, even raising the dead on at least one occasion. And he very firmly attested that it was as a direct result of fasting. I'm still learning, but while I think that there can be abuses and misunderstandings, the value of fasting is fairly clear from scripture. Paul fasted often (2 Corinthians 6:5, 2 Corinthians 11:27), and it had to have been for a reason.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know, perhaps its best to ask those who never fast for their reasons.

Brings something to mind. There's a verse where Jesus told the disciples, "When you fast..." It was not "If you fast," or "If you try to fast," but "When you fast, do not do as the hypocrites do..." (Matthew 6:16-18 above). He also said that when the Bridegroom was with them they would celebrate, but after He was no longer with them, then they would fast." (Luke 5:34-35). So it's a case of not just asking them why they don't fast, but how they dismiss the practice in light of what scripture says the disciples were being commanded to do, and in Paul's case we have record of him doing.
Now there are a few verses that strongly suggest it can bring spiritual empowerment. Matthew 6:16-18 suggests that when we fast God will reward us openly if we don't seek being honored by men for doing so. So in what way does He reward us "openly" after fasting? I think part of the reward is greater spiritual authority among men, including supernatural empowerment. Many of the more authoritative texts in Mark 9:29 have Jesus saying that certain demons would only come out through prayer and fasting.

Another interesting passage is now coming to mind about this. There is even the suggestion that the apostolic anointing may be released through fasting and prayer (the REAL apostolic anointing, not that ridiculous thing where you start a church in a different city just so you can call yourself "an apostle" sent to found a church in some new location). In Acts 13:2-3, they prayed and fasted, and then the Spirit said to lay hands on Paul and anoint him for his ministry. And his ministry was unquestionably confirmed by signs and wonders following.

Reactions: Nancy

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What do you think of these words in the book?

Some have exalted religious fasting beyond all Scripture and reason; and others have utterly disregarded it. — JOHN WESLEY

In a culture where the landscape is dotted with shrines to the Golden Arches and an assortment of Pizza Temples, fasting seems out of place, out of step with the times. In fact, fasting has been in general disrepute both in and outside the Church for many years. For example, in my research I could not find a single book published on the subject of Christian fasting from 1861 to 1954, a period of nearly one hundred years. More recently a renewed interest in fasting has developed, but we have far to go to recover a biblical balance. What would account for this almost total disregard of a subject so frequently mentioned in Scripture and so ardently practiced by Christians through the centuries?

Any thoughts?

I enjoyed your take on the fast food places.
Many years ago I was involved with a small church, and the Pastor was very strong on trying to help the needy, and there was a Merchant Seaman in the town that worked at the Shipyard. This Seaman heard that a ship was about to leave port, and was going to dump a tremendous amount of food overboard. So We traveled to the Shipyard to see if this Pastor could obtain this food! We were unsuccessful!
Anyway, the Pastor was very tired, So the Seaman drove us Home, with the Pastor sleeping in the bed of the Truck!
As we were driving back the Seaman began to express to me about Fasting, He was very adamant about fasting, he truly believe that the Physical fasting was profound in Spiritual Growth, and I will say that I have to agree!
Now I haven't Fasted for quite some Time, But It Has been kinda a drawing Thought to me for the Past two months or so!
I find it interesting that you have started this Thread, because this has been on my mind!
You know as well as others on this Forum that our Savior, said that after He, the bride groom was absent, that Apostles would fast often, so there is something to it! We know there are Scriptures to support fasting.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I enjoyed your take on the fast food places.
Many years ago I was involved with a small church, and the Pastor was very strong on trying to help the needy, and there was a Merchant Seaman in the town that worked at the Shipyard. This Seaman heard that a ship was about to leave port, and was going to dump a tremendous amount of food overboard. So We traveled to the Shipyard to see if this Pastor could obtain this food! We were unsuccessful!
Anyway, the Pastor was very tired, So the Seaman drove us Home, with the Pastor sleeping in the bed of the Truck!
As we were driving back the Seaman began to express to me about Fasting, He was very adamant about fasting, he truly believe that the Physical fasting was profound in Spiritual Growth, and I will say that I have to agree!
Now I haven't Fasted for quite some Time, But It Has been kinda a drawing Thought to me for the Past two months or so!
I find it interesting that you have started this Thread, because this has been on my mind!
You know as well as others on this Forum that our Savior, said that after He, the bride groom was absent, that Apostles would fast often, so there is something to it! We know there are Scriptures to support fasting.
Interesting. I have done very little fasting myself, but I am beginning to look a bit more carefully and thoroughly at what the Bible has to say about it.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, for the first decade of our christian life we did as we were taught....so fasting was part of it.
I found as the years went by, that people seemed to think that fasting in some way changed God mind and caused Him to take better note of our prayers and answer them.

It came to me that if the inner heart is not fasting, then starving the body does nothing. Fasting is 'to me' is a spiritual thing...not a physical thing.
..a little like.." Bodily exercise profits us little... but godliness is profitable unto all things, .."
Fasting does not make us more godly...but as our friend @bbyrd009 will say ... it is good for our bodily health...

Isaiah 58-5 "Is it such a fast that I have chosen? a day for a man to afflict his soul? is it to bow down his head as a bulrush, and to spread sackcloth and ashes under him? wilt thou call this a fast, and an acceptable day to the LORD?

Is not this the fast that I have chosen? to loose the bands of wickedness, to undo the heavy burdens, and to let the oppressed go free, and that ye break every yoke? Is it not to deal thy bread to the hungry, and that thou bring the poor that are cast out to thy house? when thou seest the naked, that thou cover him; and that thou hide not thyself from thine own flesh?
Then shall thy light break forth as the morning, and thine health shall spring forth speedily: and thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the LORD shall be thy rereward."

. . . .View attachment 3044
Never could fully understand fasting...I think of :
Matthew 17:21
Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
So, are there certain issues such as in this case, evil spirit possession? JMHO

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fasting is supposed to be done in secret as prescribed in Matt 6. So maybe lots are and just not telling. I doubt it cause it also says to pray and give in secret and plenty don't do that.

Personally I believe not many fast anymore because it makes the beast angry (the one behind your belly button)! Simply put... Its a miserable feeling. They are letting the flesh control them.

Fasting is indeed beconing a trend, but for fleshly reasons again... The want to lose weight. That can be positive for health, but its most likely vanity. It has nothing to do spiritually.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Fasting is supposed to be done in secret as prescribed in Matt 6. So maybe lots are and just not telling. I doubt it cause it also says to pray and give in secret and plenty don't do that.

Personally I believe not many fast anymore because it makes the beast angry (the one behind your belly button)! Simply put... Its a miserable feeling. They are letting the flesh control them.

Fasting is indeed beconing a trend, but for fleshly reasons again... The want to lose weight. That can be positive for health, but its most likely vanity. It has nothing to do spiritually.

Oh is that why people fast nowadays. Yea no spiritual value whatsoever if your doing it for health. A long term change in diet would likely be more effective.

Reactions: FHII and Nancy

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Children, the elderly and those taking medication for any reason are exempt from fasting. So an immature senior on pills is exempt three times over!!!

A: A day of abstinence is a day on which Catholics fourteen years or older are required to abstain from eating meat (a food which has historically been symbolic of feasting and festivities because it could not be eaten every day in most historic cultures for economic reasons). By abstaining from this festive food on Fridays, we symbolize our sorrow for our sins on the day on which the Lord Jesus died because of our sins.

A biblical basis for abstaining from meat as a sign of penance for our sins (Lent) is found in the book of Daniel, where the prophet mourns over the sins of Israel:

"In the third year of Cyrus king of Persia . . . 'I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks. I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips; and I used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over.'" (Daniel 10:1-3)

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

. . . .View attachment 3044

Yes indeed!
But when you fast be not like the Hypocrites [Religious] most likely referring to the Pharisees] Matthew 6:16 -with a sad countenance, for they disfigure their faces that they appear to men to be fasting, Assuredly I say to you, they have their reward!
according to Scripture there is a reward, for fasting!
vers-17 But when you fast, Anoint your head and wash your face! 18 - So that you do not Appear to men to be fasting, But to your Father who [is] in the Secret [place] and your Father who sees in the Secret will Reward you Openly!
I believe that if we choose to fast, we should keep it to ourselves, kinda like when we try to help others with giving, we try to present them with what they need, so as they no not where it came from, thus they can only give thanks to God!
This is some what difficult, weather in giving, and or fasting. I will choose to fast and my wife will ask are you hungry, or what would you like for dinner! LOL so letting you spouse know is as far as i will go! as for giving we always make that decision together!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting. I have done very little fasting myself, but I am beginning to look a bit more carefully and thoroughly at what the Bible has to say about it.

I know you know this verse- where the Apostles could not cast out the demon, and Jesus said - this kind come not out-but by Prayer and Fasting, Just paraphrasing, there must be some gain Spiritually when Prayer is also involved during the Fast! Matthew 17:21

Reactions: Willie T

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Gnostics in Paul's day, the Albigensians, the Cathari fasted excessively. It had nothing to do with the fasting according to the teachings of Jesus and Paul, they fasted because they believed the food itself was evil.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Personally I believe not many fast anymore because it makes the beast angry (the one behind your belly button)!

LoL!
Fasting is supposed to be done in secret as prescribed in Matt 6.

I think there are two sides to this coin. Yes, we should remain silent if we would try to get glory from men over it. But then there is also the issue of teaching on the subject. This is when people can't be. It's largely uncharted territory these days, as you were saying. So the more people can share notes on it the better.
Children, the elderly and those taking medication for any reason are exempt from fasting. So an immature senior on pills is exempt three times over!!!

And this is one of the reasons why. There are health risks involved for those who are unhealthy, as Helen was sharing with me privately. It is not for everyone, and should only really be attempted at the Lord's leading, for those truly called to it.
The Gnostics in Paul's day, the Albigensians, the Cathari fasted excessively. It had nothing to do with the fasting according to the teachings of Jesus and Paul, they fasted because they believed the food itself was evil.

Hmmm... Not to be contentious, but if you could, where are you getting this concerning the Gnostics of Paul's day? 1 Timothy 4:3 or Colossians? I won't argue with you even if I disagree, but the statement strikes me as curious.