Adam and Eve were given two commands by God.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Adam and Eve were given two commands,

Genesis 1:

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a]and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”
27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.
28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”
29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of lifein it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

The first one was - Be fruitful and increase in number, and to rule over all the animals. God also gave in return anything they could enjoy from what had been created with-in this garden.

Genesis 2:
8 Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. 9 The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
10 A river watering the garden flowed from Eden; from there it was separated into four headwaters. 11 The name of the first is the Pishon; it winds through the entire land of Havilah, where there is gold. 12 (The gold of that land is good; aromatic resin[d] and onyx are also there.) 13 The name of the second river is the Gihon; it winds through the entire land of Cush.[e] 14 The name of the third river is the Tigris; it runs along the east side of Ashur. And the fourth river is the Euphrates.
15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Edento work it and take care of it. 16 And the Lord God commanded the man, “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
18 The Lord God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him.”

The second commandment was not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

God gave them a place to stay, away to subdue animals, and this was all in the first mentioning of Creation. It is interesting to note that Adam and Eve had direct connection with God, even for a little while longer even after having made the choice to eat from the tree that he told Adam to not eat from. God gave them the freedom and choice to choose and do what they desired to do with-in this place which Adam and Eve had relation with God. According to Hebrew tradition - yes a simple tradition it is said that - Adam and Eve would commune with God and perhaps God would show up during this transaction as wind and speak to them.

This God is a very generous God who gives individuals free will to choose, Adam and Eve could have went and talked to God about how to procreate if they needed to and he would explain it to them if they needed. The Devil or The Observer had come along and placed beguiled eve who decided by her own merit to choose to have picked from the tree and ate it, so did Adam. They could have went and talked to God about it, but when they partook with-in that notion of disobeying the shame, and guilt set in. God gave them a charge against their disobedience which Man would toil and labor, and women their birth pains would increase, and for the Devil, he was promised to have his head crushed in. In regards to this action and the consequence, God still takes time to create them better clothing than what they had made for themselves out of figs and leaves, before having sent them away off out of the Garden, which I believe now today has been restored.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gen 1:20-22 . . And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the
moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the
open firmament of heaven. God blessed them, saying: Be fruitful and
increase,

This is the very first place in the Bible where the Hebrew word for "bless"
shows up. It's somewhat ambiguous, but in this case I think it's pretty safe
to assume that it means to furnish freely or naturally with some power,
quality, or attribute; i.e. provide, endow, and/or empower. In other words:
the blessing of fertility was a providential act rather than a mandatory
requirement.

Gen 1:27-28 . . So God created man in His own image, in the image of
God He created him; male and female He created them. God blessed them
and God said to them: Be fruitful and increase,

That's essentially the same blessing that God bestowed upon aqua creatures
and winged creatures.

Some interpret that verse to be an edict requiring married people to have
children; and that they have no business getting married for any other
reason. But the wording is so obviously a blessing rather than a law.

It's always best to regard blessings as benefits, approval, and/or
empowerment unless clearly indicated otherwise. Some blessings have to be
merited (e.g. Deut 28:1-13) but not this one. It was neither requested nor
was it earned— it was freely given without any strings attached and nothing
asked in return.

It's important to note that woman's original purpose was to be a man's
companion rather than his baby mill.

Gen 2:18 . .The Lord God said: It's not good for Adam to be solitary; I will
make a fitting helper for him.

"fitting helper" is from two Hebrew words. "Fitting" is from neged (neh'
ghed) which means, roughly, the flip side of the same coin.

The word for "helper" is from 'ezer (ay'-zer) which means: aid.

Note that aid isn't spelled with an "e" as in aide; so that Eve wasn't meant to
be the man's Girl Friday, rather; someone to strengthen him. In other
words: woman's true role is a supporting role rather than a leading role.

So then we may safely conclude that people were intended to face life head
on as couples rather than independent individuals; and that children are
secondary to companionship.
_

Last edited:

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Has God ever instructed man to do something that man couldn’t do?

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is a trend in the world of education to dumb down curriculums so that
the slow kids in class can keep up (especially minorities). This of course
discourages excellence and holds back kids who exhibit real potential.

What I'm saying is: it would be out of character for God to require anything
less than perfection. Whether people are able to produce perfection doesn't
matter. God has His standards; and I suspect He is not agreeable to dumbing
them down so we can keep up.
_

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The first one was - Be fruitful and increase in number, and to rule over all the animals. God also gave in return anything they could enjoy from what had been created with-in this garden.

The second commandment was not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

God gave them a place to stay, away to subdue animals, and this was all in the first mentioning of Creation. It is interesting to note that Adam and Eve had direct connection with God, even for a little while longer even after having made the choice to eat from the tree that he told Adam to not eat from. God gave them the freedom and choice to choose and do what they desired to do with-in this place which Adam and Eve had relation with God. According to Hebrew tradition - yes a simple tradition it is said that - Adam and Eve would commune with God and perhaps God would show up during this transaction as wind and speak to them.

This God is a very generous God who gives individuals free will to choose, Adam and Eve could have went and talked to God about how to procreate if they needed to and he would explain it to them if they needed. The Devil or The Observer had come along and placed beguiled eve who decided by her own merit to choose to have picked from the tree and ate it, so did Adam. They could have went and talked to God about it, but when they partook with-in that notion of disobeying the shame, and guilt set in. God gave them a charge against their disobedience which Man would toil and labor, and women their birth pains would increase, and for the Devil, he was promised to have his head crushed in. In regards to this action and the consequence, God still takes time to create them better clothing than what they had made for themselves out of figs and leaves, before having sent them away off out of the Garden, which I believe now today has been restored.
I find the commandment that we are not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil interesting. What does it mean? Is it saying that we are not to judge others?

Reactions: MatthewG

grumix8

Jul 23, 2020
d.f.
Faith
Christian
Country
Mexico
It proves those are commandments we must keep and even though laws of Genesis are hard to keep they can be kept and god's will be done as in heaven be done on earth. Can we keep those commandments ? Yes. One day earth will be like heaven like he originally planned he wanted those laws in our heart and to be continued even though we sin.God's plan is for us to put in Go'ds hands and he will do the job in our hearts.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t think what Adam and Eve were commanded are needed to be kept today, simply just the royal law. Putting God first and loving others, which was the commandments that Jesus had laid forth for us to follow.

But hey you could be right. I’m not really interested in having children, or even a wife personally.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Reactions: grumix8

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find the commandment that we are not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil interesting. What does it mean? Is it saying that we are not to judge others?

I suppose you could be right on that.

Reactions: Bob Estey

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know. But I’m not interested in being married, or having children doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen later in life though.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only fruitfulness I believe we are to have is abiding in Christ and being rooted deeply in Him, allowing the spirit to move us to act as the spirit in what it produces.

:) God bless.

Reactions: Jim B

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think there was a couple more, subdue animals, cultivate the garden. these are commands as well. Might be more.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There is a trend in the world of education to dumb down curriculums so that
the slow kids in class can keep up (especially minorities). This of course
discourages excellence and holds back kids who exhibit real potential.

What I'm saying is: it would be out of character for God to require anything
less than perfection. Whether people are able to produce perfection doesn't
matter. God has His standards; and I suspect He is not agreeable to dumbing
them down so we can keep up.
_
Minority kids are slow? Seriously? Where did you come up with that nonsense? Did you mean to say "holds back white kids"?

Also how does God "dumb down" His standards?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it means that we are not to live evil lives. We are instructed to have faith in God.