Adultery and Domestic Violence

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Steph

Mar 1, 2023
KNIGHTDALE
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My Christian husband of 25 years was abusive many years into our marriage. He would slap me, has hit me with a belt, busted my lip with open handed slap, spit on me, pulled my hair, among other things. It was never a true "beating" with his fist but he couldn't control his anger when we argued. He broke things, like Willow Trees I collected because he knew it would hurt me. But what was worse than physical was the emotional. It is too painful to list the things he did but sometimes they involved using my kids. The one thing that caused me to snap is something he did to my daughter. When I was 19, before becoming a Christian, I had an abortion. He knows I have struggled with the guilt. He got mad at me one day and pulled up a video of an abortion procedure and showed it to my 16 year old daughter saying I killed her little sister or brother.

I told him once I wanted a divorce and left the house. He burned my wedding dress in the firepit. The second time I told him he said he would disappear and not help with the kids. (I know he didn't mean that b/c he is very close to them, just mad at me). The third time I asked he hit my bare legs with a belt. So I turned to another man. It was just flirting and him listening to me complain. He comforted me. We ended up sleeping together one time. It was like I was getting revenge....I knew it would hurt my husband like he had been hurting me. I was angry with God for allowing this to happen. It was torture.

I finally kicked him out...5 years ago. However I began to miss him and truly forgave him after much prayer. We started seeing each other again. He became the husband he was when we first got married. However he started sleeping with other women too and would tell me he never wanted me back. Ironically he said it felt good and that he was getting back at me. But then he found out I cheated. Many things happened after that but I was extremely remorseful, tried to explain how and why it happened because he kept saying "how could you do this". I asked for forgiveness.

But a year later he moved back in. We've been back together for 2 1/2 years. No abuse and rarely argued. However he wasn't as affectionate and would not tell me he loved me very much.

This past Saturday he walks in and says "This marriage is over. I don't love you. I can never trust you again. I want a divorce". I feel like someone is squeezing my heart because it physically hurts. I make 1/3 of what he does. I stayed home with my kids for much of my marriage. He refuses counseling. He says he wants to forgive but cannot. And now he wants an immediate divorce, and split everything 50/50 with no child support. Joint custody one child. Although I would still be owed it because of the huge salary gap.

I want my marriage restored. I have tremendous guilt over what I did and Bible is clear about adultary. I should have left. I know this. I just felt trapped. Now my world is crashing down. I love him, 25 years of memories. Can he forgive? I'm also conflicted on how far to push helping me financially because of what I did.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Perhaps, if you Asked God to include your husband among those whom He is drawing to Himself, and then continue praying daily thanking God that he has heard your request to include your husband among those whom He is drawing to Himself and that in His time, your husband will be restored to Him.

I will pray that God will include you also among those whom he is drawing to Himself and when prompted I will thank God that He has heard my prayer and is working on His drawing of you to Himself.

May you come to know the Peace of God that passes all understanding as you are drawn into His Loving Embrace.

Shalom

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello Steph.... Thank you for being candid with your story. We all blow it to a lesser or greater extent and it has its painful consequences.....I know that also.

I have found bringing the dark things into the light is considerably helpful in lifting the burden yet if the other party won't dance, they wont dance.

I am reminded that Jesus is not only my helper but my Saviour, yes, my Saviour; he does for me what I can't do for myself....so I let him.....I leave it in his hands.

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love him, 25 years of memories.
Steph, I'm glad you have some better memories than slaps and belts and burned wedding dresses and hypocrisy and manipulation and unforgiveness and coldness and broken lips and broken Willow Trees and broken wedding vows ...

And broken people.

Take your guilt to God; there is forgiveness there.

Steph, you're going to have to go on with your life without him. Don't let yourself be manipulated again. Now lawyer-up and do what you need to do for your child.

You didn't ask for prayer, but I said a prayer for you anyway.

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Keturah

Steph

Mar 1, 2023
KNIGHTDALE
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you everyone. My son is part of a youth group from our prior church and was at camp over the weekend so my husband picked my son up and stayed for church. That is a praise. (My son and I go to a different church for worship). My husband said he is going to start going back and I praise God for that also! I know I need out of that cycle. It is hard because in the last five years he has not been abusive. But I have prayed and my son has prayed that my husband's heart softens and I think He has started. It gives me clarity and hope that this divorce will go smoothly if he isn't so angry with me. But for his sake and mine I need him to forgive. Thank you for your prayers.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Steph

Mar 1, 2023
KNIGHTDALE
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps, if you Asked God to include your husband among those whom He is drawing to Himself, and then continue praying daily thanking God that he has heard your request to include your husband among those whom He is drawing to Himself and that in His time, your husband will be restored to Him.

I will pray that God will include you also among those whom he is drawing to Himself and when prompted I will thank God that He has heard my prayer and is working on His drawing of you to Himself.

May you come to know the Peace of God that passes all understanding as you are drawn into His Loving Embrace.

Shalom
Your prayer has been answered because I went to church the same night you responded to me for Bible study. They prayed over me and it was like this HUGE burden was lifted and I was at peace. A peace I haven't had in years. I am reading daily again, praying again and worshiping again. I had not in so long. My husband went to church last weekend as well. First time in two years. He went on his own to a different church than I go to but it is definitely God working in both our lives! Thank you! I need continued peace because it hurts. I trust though.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We are NOT RESPONSIBLE for the sins, faults nor out of control anger of anyone but ourselves.

Forgiveness of others is a great blessing for it brings us inner peace & comfort.

Receiving forgiveness from God is individually based, just as repentance must too be individual from the one committing said. Our walk is directed by the Lord but we cannot walk it for someone else.

Let God be your light & follow his promptings. Do not let any manipulate nor fool you into thinking they have gotten better, IT TRULY TAKES A FULL COMMITMENT TO GOD to see a TRUE change not a case of do better !

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My Christian husband of 25 years was abusive many years into our marriage. He would slap me, has hit me with a belt, busted my lip with open handed slap, spit on me, pulled my hair, among other things. It was never a true "beating" with his fist but he couldn't control his anger when we argued. He broke things, like Willow Trees I collected because he knew it would hurt me. But what was worse than physical was the emotional. It is too painful to list the things he did but sometimes they involved using my kids. The one thing that caused me to snap is something he did to my daughter. When I was 19, before becoming a Christian, I had an abortion. He knows I have struggled with the guilt. He got mad at me one day and pulled up a video of an abortion procedure and showed it to my 16 year old daughter saying I killed her little sister or brother.

I told him once I wanted a divorce and left the house. He burned my wedding dress in the firepit. The second time I told him he said he would disappear and not help with the kids. (I know he didn't mean that b/c he is very close to them, just mad at me). The third time I asked he hit my bare legs with a belt. So I turned to another man. It was just flirting and him listening to me complain. He comforted me. We ended up sleeping together one time. It was like I was getting revenge....I knew it would hurt my husband like he had been hurting me. I was angry with God for allowing this to happen. It was torture.

I finally kicked him out...5 years ago. However I began to miss him and truly forgave him after much prayer. We started seeing each other again. He became the husband he was when we first got married. However he started sleeping with other women too and would tell me he never wanted me back. Ironically he said it felt good and that he was getting back at me. But then he found out I cheated. Many things happened after that but I was extremely remorseful, tried to explain how and why it happened because he kept saying "how could you do this". I asked for forgiveness.

But a year later he moved back in. We've been back together for 2 1/2 years. No abuse and rarely argued. However he wasn't as affectionate and would not tell me he loved me very much.

This past Saturday he walks in and says "This marriage is over. I don't love you. I can never trust you again. I want a divorce". I feel like someone is squeezing my heart because it physically hurts. I make 1/3 of what he does. I stayed home with my kids for much of my marriage. He refuses counseling. He says he wants to forgive but cannot. And now he wants an immediate divorce, and split everything 50/50 with no child support. Joint custody one child. Although I would still be owed it because of the huge salary gap.

I want my marriage restored. I have tremendous guilt over what I did and Bible is clear about adultary. I should have left. I know this. I just felt trapped. Now my world is crashing down. I love him, 25 years of memories. Can he forgive? I'm also conflicted on how far to push helping me financially because of what I did.
He can forgive if He allows the Lord to move his heart. God has forgiven you of adultery so you must forgive yourself. Your husband had a pattern of adultery which broke the covenant of marriage. If he files for divorce, you arew free form the covenant for he broke it biblically and you can be free to move on with your life.

Reactions: Keturah

Biblem

Mar 26, 2023
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
What really causes divorce? What are the legal ground for divorce? What are the Bible based grounds for divorce?, Below is a link to all the answers

Biblem

Mar 26, 2023
Nigeria
Faith
Christian
Country
Nigeria
If you are really remorseful,then go back to God in prayer. Ask God to forgive you. Take your situation to God in prayer and ask that the Holy Spirit will touch his heart again. "The heart of a king is in the hand of God,He doeth whatsoever pleases him with it".