'Ain't Nothing Left At All in the End of Being Proud'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a line from a song I listen to often. It makes me think of how destructive the sin of pride is. We guard ourselves by being too proud to show our feelings. And at the end of life we have spouses, sons and daughters, and friends who we were too proud to tell we were proud of them, or we appreciated what they had done for us, or what they meant to us in life.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a line from a song I listen to often. It makes me think of how destructive the sin of pride is. We guard ourselves by being too proud to show our feelings. And at the end of life we have spouses, sons and daughters, and friends who we were too proud to tell we were proud of them, or we appreciated what they had done for us, or what they meant to us in life.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Maybe its pride that makes me want to be angry at an old friend for lying to me rather than just saying that Im hurt.

Coming from an angry place feels better than coming from a hurt place.

It does hurt. I had gotten my hopes completely up that she really turned a corner and gained true faith in Jesus.

But it was just something she made up so that she could try to get some money.

How am I supposed to feel? I still care but she never did. Or at least she never thinks about it. Only about getting what she wants.

I will get over it. I will lay down my pride for the manipulators again and still care. Just knowing that I can't trust them is a reality I can no longer ignore.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thoughts? Experiences?

it’s about time!

pride presumption and arrogance are built into Protestantism!

Lk 1:48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.

1 Peter 5:5
Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
pride presumption and arrogance are built into Protestantism!...

Those things are built into people, be they Protestant or Catholic or other. Pointing our fingers at the other guy, who may indeed also fall short, does not remove the beam from our own eyes by any means.

Who among us without regarding to designation has already overcome all as Jesus did? Not me!

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thoughts? Experiences?

Here’s a good scripture that tells us the qualities of the proud:

“If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings” (1 Timothy 6:3-4)

The proud are truth deniers first and foremost.

A good way to stay humble is to read the Bible everyday.

“…he shall read therein all the days of his life: that he may learn to fear the LORD his God, to keep all the words of this law and these statutes, to do them: That his heart be not lifted up above his brethren, and that he turn not aside from the commandment, to the right hand, or to the left: to the end that he may prolong his days…” (Deuteronomy 17:19-20)