Alive or dead

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

B

brakelite

There are many aspects one could discuss related to death. But let us leave out all the philosophies of man and the vague interpretive opinions regards what the Bible means, but let us simply and humbly accept what the Bible says. Nor let us choose just one text or passage, but let us survey the whole scripture record, comparing scripture with scripture, line upon line, here a little there a little, and come then to a conclusion weighing up the evidence.

First, let us begin where God began...creation. Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. Here described is the nature of man. Succinctly and clearly, with no ambiguity and no interpretation necessary. Man is a living soul. We are a combination of two things. Dust, and breath of life...spirit. That combination forms the soul. When we die, Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. And as a result of that separation of dust and breath, body and spirit, the soul ceases to exist. As Ezekiel says, the soul that sinneth it shall die. The man, the human being, dies. The body becomes corrupted and turns into mud, and the life force that animated the body making it a living soul, returns to God. There is no evidence in scripture, anywhere, hinting or speaking either implicitly or explicitly, that the spirit that returns to God at death has a life of its own carrying the consciousness or personality of the former man. We must remember that as you also agreed , that God alone is immortal, but that He also is Spirit. God alone is an immortal Spirit. So unless you can show me that the spirit He gave to man is immortal in the same manner as He is, that is carrying the personality and memories and life of the former bearer, we must assume that the spirit is merely that which is revealed thus far...the breath of life that in conjunction with dust, forms the living soul.

You see, throughout the church age, until just recently, the hope of the Christian was the resurrection. The hope of eternal life was not in going to heaven at death, but in the reuniting of the decayed body in the grave, with the spirit once again creating a living soul. We all know this takes place at no other time than at the second coming. It makes no sense to believe that spirits are in heaven having a mind, a face, fingers and toes, arms and legs, a head to think with, a mouth to praise with, eyes to see with....all these things are still in the grave along with the rest of the body.

And scripture attests to this very thing. Ecclesiastes 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun......
.....10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Job 14:9 Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant. 10 But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he? 11 As the waters fail from the sea, and the flood decayeth and drieth up: 12 So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep.

Psalms 6:5 For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?

Psalms 88:10 ¶ Wilt thou shew wonders to the dead? shall the dead arise and praise thee? Selah. 11 Shall thy lovingkindness be declared in the grave? or thy faithfulness in destruction? 12 Shall thy wonders be known in the dark? and thy righteousness in the land of forgetfulness?

Isaiah 38:18 For the grave cannot praise thee, death can not celebrate thee: they that go down into the pit cannot hope for thy truth. 19 The living, the living, he shall praise thee, as I do this day: the father to the children shall make known thy truth.

Kings, prophets, and priests alike testified that in the grave, there is no life, not until the resurrection.

Romans 2:5 But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
6 Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
7 To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
8 But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
9 Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

Why must the redeemed seek for immortality or eternal life if it came naturally? It is clear from many scriptures that eternal life is a gift granted by grace to the one who accepts Christ as his Savior. Never is it even hinted at anywhere that eternal life is granted to the sinner. The second death is that same death described above...no consiousness...no life....complete oblivion. That death, that oblivion, is the eternal punishment , the eternal death from which there is no resurrection, no hope of the reunion of spirit and body, complete and utter separation from the only source of life, the Living God.

Reactions: charity

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
When we die, Ecclesiastes 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. And as a result of that separation of dust and breath, body and spirit, the soul ceases to exist
Not from that quote. All it says is that the spirit returns to God.

that God alone is immortal, but that He also is Spirit. God alone is an immortal Spirit.

Agreed but you havenot shown that the spirit that returns to God dies.

Both Job and David expressed therebelieve that they would see God after there deaths.

I would argue that Adams body was not created to die, that it was only the fall that started the process of decay of life span and of bodily vigour. If the physical was practicaly eternal the soul/spirit would also be eternal.

B

brakelite

I don't have to. Others have to prove it is a thinking conscious relational entity apart from the body. We need brains to think...our minds are what we communicate with, both spiritually and physically...and no where does scripture suggest that our minds continue to operate after death; in fact, exactly the opposite, as described for example here...
Psalm 146:3 Put not your trust in princes, nor in the son of man, in whom there is no help.
4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.
The only ones in heaven, or wherever they are, are those who have been resurrected or taken without death. The concept that the spirit, (or some say soul as if they are interchangeable) is "our essential selves" and continues to survive in a relational state with thoughts, sight, hearing, touch, etc, is a pagan concept that had no place in Judaism and has no place in Christianity.

B

brakelite

I would argue that Adams body was not created to die,
Agreed, hence the tree of life...but that life that belonged to Adam was not inherently eternal...it was dependant on eating of that tree. When God chased them out of the garden, God set a guard on the tree for the express purpose of denying humans the opportunity to live forever as sinners. Thus sinners die. The whole sinner. It isn't just the body that sins...the whole person sins...body, soul, spirit. Thus the whole person dies. The 'spirit' that retruns to God is merely the power, the life force, which animates the body...gives it life. It is not a living entity independent of the body I believe in the same way angels are spirits or God is Spirit. If we go down that road we get into all manner of ridiculous assumptions as revealed on another thread, that we pre-existed our current lives as angels. Then add to that the Mormon idea that we grow into gods and have our own planets and beget little human spirit god embryos that learn to be gods like us. Or we come back as cows or platypus. Or bugs.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It makes no sense to believe that spirits are in heaven having a mind, a face, fingers and toes, arms and legs, a head to think with, a mouth to praise with, eyes to see with....all these things are still in the grave along with the rest of the body.
Hi brakelite,

According to 2 Corinthians 5
1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.

We already have our celestial body. No reason to think we're not going to continue to live in that is there?

Much love!

B

brakelite

Hi brakelite,

According to 2 Corinthians 5
1 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.

We already have our celestial body. No reason to think we're not going to continue to live in that is there?

Much love!
Who am I to argue with Paul? Lol. Yes, the hope of us all is in a future 'house' which shall not decay, grow old, lose its memory need glasses and hearing aids. Paul also was very clear as to when that would take place right? Yet in the meantime, until the resurrection, it is believed the spirit or soul is in heaven singing with the angels. How,?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The spirit is the life force which animates the body. It is the person who dies; the life force goes back to God who gave it....it is not an entity in itself. The body also returns too the elements from which it was taken.....also no entity in itself.
The entity is the soul; you and I; our person. The soul consisting of the elements(dust) and the power (spirit) to animate it. At death they are separated and the soul (the person) ceases to be.

Read the story of mans creation, it puts this into perspective.

Reactions: Harvest 1874

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But let us leave out all the philosophies of man and the vague interpretive opinions regards what the Bible means
Darn it...why did you have to go and break your own first rule, and resort to opinion!
Nor let us choose just one text or passage, but let us survey the whole scripture record, comparing scripture with scripture, line upon line, here a little there a little, and come then to a conclusion weighing up the evidence.
Now why did you have to go and insinuate that God's word is not perfect and cannot be reconciled 100%! Did Jesus not say, "every word from God", not 99%, not 95%, but "every word?"
Succinctly and clearly, with no ambiguity and no interpretation necessary.
And why did you have to go to interpretation, breaking another of your rules!
There is no evidence in scripture, anywhere, hinting or speaking either implicitly or explicitly, that the spirit that returns to God at death has a life of its own carrying the consciousness or personality of the former man.
There are better ways to do this.

But I'm going with 100%, "every word":

John 11:25
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live."

Reactions: marks and Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
~brakelite~ you may have been well intentioned to discuss DEATH...

However without a man first KNOWING what a HUMAN BODY IS, a HUMAN SOUL IS, a HUMAN SPIRIT IS...how can a man KNOW what DEATH applies to each of those things?

And FYI, most people, BY what they themselves SAY, reveal they DO NOT KNOW what a Human Body is, the Human soul is and the human spirit is.

Glory to God,
Taken

B

brakelite

Darn it...why did you have to go and break your own first rule, and resort to opinion!
Now why did you have to go and insinuate that God's word is not perfect and cannot be reconciled 100%! Did Jesus not say, "every word from God", not 99%, not 95%, but "every word?"
And why did you have to go to interpretation, breaking another of your rules!
There are better ways to do this.

But I'm going with 100%, "every word":

John 11:25
"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live."
You think I don't believe 100%?
I agree with Jesus. In Him is our hope. And what is that hope? What He said. The resurrection.

Reactions: charity
B

brakelite

~brakelite~ you may have been well intentioned to discuss DEATH...

However without a man first KNOWING what a HUMAN BODY IS, a HUMAN SOUL IS, a HUMAN SPIRIT IS...how can a man KNOW what DEATH applies to each of those things?

And FYI, most people, BY what they themselves SAY, reveal they DO NOT KNOW what a Human Body is, the Human soul is and the human spirit is.

Glory to God,
Taken
I think it is easier than many realise. Although I would be the first to admit that the spirit component is somewhat of a mystery and there is much conjecture and assumption attached to it. Body... Ready. The physical stuff we use to get around and relate to life. Flesh, sinew, muscle, bone, various organs with eyes and ears and a tongue and mind to think with all encased in skin with hair on.
The soul...a little more complicated so we need to go to the word for that but at creation man became a living organism when the dust/body were joined with that breath of life which animated the lump of dirt.
The spirit we don't know much about. What we do know is that as far as living entities are concerned, the only spirit that has inherent immortality is God. Our eternal existence or whatever we want to call it comes as a gift. That gift is intimately associated with the resurrection of the body... It is only guessing and necessity to support errant surmisings that suggests that our spirit can see, hear, taste touch and think without those mechanisms that make those things possible.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the hope of us all is in a future 'house'

Hi brakelite,

Notice what Paul writes . . . "we Have . . ." We presently live both celestially and terrestrially. When the terrestrial is gone, the celestial remains. In the resurrection, the celestial clothes upon the terrestrial, overwhelming it with the higher nature.

Much love!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think it is easier than many realise. Although I would be the first to admit that the spirit component is somewhat of a mystery and there is much conjecture and assumption attached to it. Body... Ready. The physical stuff we use to get around and relate to life. Flesh, sinew, muscle, bone, various organs with eyes and ears and a tongue and mind to think with all encased in skin with hair on.
The soul...a little more complicated so we need to go to the word for that but at creation man became a living organism when the dust/body were joined with that breath of life which animated the lump of dirt.
The spirit we don't know much about. What we do know is that as far as living entities are concerned, the only spirit that has inherent immortality is God. Our eternal existence or whatever we want to call it comes as a gift. That gift is intimately associated with the resurrection of the body... It is only guessing and necessity to support errant surmisings that suggests that our spirit can see, hear, taste touch and think without those mechanisms that make those things possible.

I would say the big picture of the body, soul, spirit IS complicated and gets off point real quick when one introduces unnecessary words not found in scripture...
(Conjecture, Living organism, animated, external existence, surmising, mechanisms...)

Scripture is clear about each...man created and made terrestrial body, soul, spirit.....without deflection, and without guessing.

Glory to God,
Taken

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't have to. Others have to prove it is a thinking conscious relational entity apart from the body. We need brains to think...our minds are what we communicate with, both spiritually and physically...and no where does scripture suggest that our minds continue to operate after death; in fact, exactly the opposite, as described for example here...

Hi brakelite,

On this,

Philippians 1
23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

In what way, would you say, would Paul be "with Christ; which is far better"?

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi brakelite,

On this,

Philippians 1
23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:
24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

In what way, would you say, would Paul be "with Christ; which is far better"?

Much love!
In glory, the believer's faculties will be engaged contemplating the Lamb (Revelation 5; Revelation 21).

Reactions: marks

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are a combination of two things. Dust, and breath of life...spirit. That combination forms the soul.
FALSE. This is why we need to take all of Scripture into account.

Paul was writing by divine inspiration in all his epistles, and Peter equated them with the Scriptures. Which means that God gave him the words to write. So what did Paul write in 1 Thessalonians 5:23 and Hebrews 4:12?

GOD SAYS MAN IS SPIRIT, SOUL, AND BODY
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

GOD SAYS SPIRIT IS NOT MERELY THE BREATH OF LIFE
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

So the spirit of man is distinct from the body, and is a spiritual entity which is IMPERISHABLE. It is that part of man that can communicate with God who is Spirit, and also understand spiritual things. Hence the Word of God is the spiritual sword that penetrates to the very core of man's being where the soul and spirit are found connected but distinct from each other. Everyone has the breath of life (life itself) but not all have a spirit that is awake and alive. That is why the New Birth is an absolute necessity.

The spirit is closely connected to the soul (which is also imperishable) which consists of the mind, the *heart*, and the will (the person within the tabernacle of the body). So human beings can be living souls while their spirits are dead. Therefore the natural man does not understand the things of the Spirit.

Physical death is THE SEPARATION of the soul and spirit from the body. Souls and spirits either go directly to Heaven (if saved) or directly to Hades (if unsaved). It is the body which goes into the grave and eventually becomes dust.

The second death is THE SEPARATION of the individual from God for all eternity in the Lake of Fire.

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You see, throughout the church age, until just recently, the hope of the Christian was the resurrection. The hope of eternal life was not in going to heaven at death, but in the reuniting of the decayed body in the grave, with the spirit once again creating a living soul. We all know this takes place at no other time than at the second coming. It makes no sense to believe that spirits are in heaven having a mind, a face, fingers and toes, arms and legs, a head to think with, a mouth to praise with, eyes to see with....all these things are still in the grave along with the rest of the body.

In general we have no argument with what you have presented here that is with the exception of the following statement:

Throughout the church age, until just recently, the hope of the Christian was the resurrection. The hope of eternal life was not in going to heaven at death, but in the reuniting of the decayed body in the grave, with the spirit once again creating a living soul.”

This may have been the view (and still is for the most part) of the professing church, the church nominal, but it is not what the scriptures teach.

I’ve noted it said several times on this forum even amongst those who imagine themselves to be spirit begotten that they expect to be reunited with their body in the resurrection. This idea dates back to the Apostles Creed. Although the Nicaea creed (325 A.D.) was the first creed; the 'Apostle's Creed is the best known. It is claimed to be the oldest creed, but little evidence exists that it predates the 4th century. Although it contains many truths, it is not wholly Scriptural.

One statement found in this creed which is wholly un-scriptural is the statement: "I believe in the resurrection of the body".

The Scriptures nowhere teach the resurrection of the body in fact the Apostle Paul’s statement found in 1 Cor 15:36-38 distinctly denies this, viz.

Foolish one, what you sow is not made alive unless it dies. And what you sow, you do not sow that body that shall be, but mere grain—perhaps wheat or some other grain. But God gives it (the soul-being) a body as He pleases, and to each seed (being) its own body.”

Surely the Apostle was not speaking of the body when he uses the word "it," otherwise the body would have a body, therefore two bodies, which is absurd. Further he states, "It (the soul-being) is sown a natural body; it (the soul or being) is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body and there is a spiritual body." (Verse 44)

The determining factor as to which type of body one will receive will be dependent upon whether or not they have been begotten to a new nature in this age or not. No one previous to Pentecost and no one following the completion of the Church at the end of this age will ever have this opportunity again.

Behold, NOW (during the Gospel age) is the acceptable time (to present yourself in sacrifice); behold now is a day of salvation” (2 Cor 6:2)

NOT the only day of salvation, but the only time in which the new and living way is open, the only time in which an opportunity is given to experience a change of natures. (Rom 12:1; Heb 10:20; 1 Pet 2:5; Eph 1:6)

It is not the body that is resurrected; "it" is the soul that is to be restored or resuscitated. What was it that died? The Scripture reply is: "The soul that sins, it shall die." The living, intelligent, sentient being is what is to be raised up by Divine power in the resurrection."

The question then is asked: If the body will not be resurrected, how will the identity be preserved in the resurrection?

Must not some part of the old individual be preserved during the interval? What is this seed or bare grain, which, the Apostle says, is sown at death, and will be given a body as it pleases God? Is it not an immaterial something, whatever we may call it, whether soul or spirit, which God preserves and to which he gives a new body in the resurrection?

We reply: The soul is the whole sentient being. When the soul or being dies (is sown or planted in death), it goes out of existence, ceases to be, however God preserves the memory and character of the individual, not as an immaterial something, but merely as a remembrance (It is impossible for God to forget one minute detail of the individual). In the resurrection he will impart this memory and character to a new body, and thus the identity will be preserved.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all know this takes place at no other time than at the second coming. It makes no sense to believe that spirits are in heaven having a mind, a face, fingers and toes, arms and legs, a head to think with, a mouth to praise with, eyes to see with....all these things are still in the grave along with the rest of the body.
How do you reconcile the mount of transfiguration?

Harvest 1874

Apr 1, 2018
Tampa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question is asked: If Moses and Elijah were actually dead, how could they appear on the Mount of Transfiguration with our Lord Jesus? (Matt 17:1-3)

ANSWER--While Moses and Elijah both passed from the scene of earth's experiences under peculiar and mysterious circumstances, yet we are assured that both died. (Deut 34:5; Heb. 11:13) The Scriptures everywhere represent the dead as being in a condition of unconsciousness, "asleep" in the tomb, the grave--"The dead know not anything," for there is no wisdom, nor device, nor knowledge in the grave whither thou goes" (Eccl 9:5,10).

We must carefully examine the text under consideration, for the true meaning, recognizing that all of the expressions of the inspired Scriptures are in complete harmony. The ninth verse of this same chapter explains the matter, where we note the words of the Master--"Tell the vision to no man." What the Apostle saw therefore was merely a "vision" of Moses and Elijah with the Lord, just as the Apostle John on the Isle of Patmas saw visions of beasts, angels, etc., and not actual things themselves.

Moses surely had not been resurrected and made perfect at that time, for we are informed that our Lord Jesus was the first to rise from the dead and be glorified. Note also the Apostle Paul's words in Heb. 11:39,40 where he sets forth that Moses and the other ancient worthies of the past have yet to be made perfect by those of the church class when glorified in the heavenly Kingdom with Christ.

That vision on the mount was a picture of Jesus kingdom, Elias typifying one class in the kingdom, and Moses symbolizing or typifying another class in the kingdom.