"All things are lawful..."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient/edify not".​

A popular interpretation of this is that "all things" include sin, for which the Christian will only suffer a loss of a few jewels in his crown of life, but not suffer loss of eternal life...the "carnal Christian", as identified by Dr. Charles Stanley. A similar verse is found in 2 Corinthians 5:18 KJV:
"All things are of God..."​

So, is adultery, theft, lying, Satan worship, etc., "of God" and we may freely engage in such? No, as the previous verse 17 qualifies verse 18:

"If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature.
Old things are passed away,
behold all things have become new."​

Does that mean "God's old opinion of our sin has passed away, and His new, tolerant, condoning, indulgent opinion toward our sin has replaced it" as many Christians cling to as an unprosperous cover for their presumptuous sins, of which they refuse to confess and forsake? Anyone can see it's referring to both our thinking and our actions, which become upright and holy by virtue of the "law of a new creature in Christ Jesus".

It's easy to see what "all things" refers to in verse 18 because the qualifier is right there in verse 17. However, sometimes we must look elsewhere to qualify a text in front of us, such as "All things are lawful for me...":

Galatians 5:19-21 KJV
[19] Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these ; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
[20] Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
[21] Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1Co 6:12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

1 Corinthians 10:23 (KJV)
23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

Romans 14:14 (KJV)
14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.

The sin of the world had been taken care of through the Lord Jesus Christ, it is over and done with. Do people still fall short of the glory of God? Of course, our flesh can never glorify in front of God.

1 Corinthians 1:29-31
New King James Version

29 that no flesh should glory in His presence. 30 But of Him you are in Christ Jesus, who became for us wisdom from God—and righteousness and sanctification and redemption— 31 that, as it is written, “He who glories, let him glory in the Lord.”

Faith makes a person right with God.

Hebrews 11: Faith and Assurance
(Genesis 1:1–2; John 1:1–5)

1Now faith is the assurance of what we hope for and the certainty of what we do not see. 2This is why the ancients were commended.3By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.Genesis 4–9)

4By faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did. By faith he was commended as righteous when God gave approval to his gifts. And by faith he still speaks, even though he is dead.5By faith Enoch was taken upa so that he did not see death: “He could not be found, because God had taken him away.”bFor before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God.6And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who approaches Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him.7By faith Noah, when warned about things not yet seen, in godly fear built an ark to save his family. By faith he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness that comes by faith.

Consider Rahab the Harlot.

Joshua 6:17-25
Only Rahab the prostitute and all who are with her in her house shall be spared, because she hid the spies we sent. But keep away from the devoted things, so that you will not bring about your own destruction by taking any of them.

Hebrews 11:31 By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient.

Romans 4:5 However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness.

@Phoneman777 all the things you listed can all quench the spirit and dry it up out of them if they continue do those things which causes hardness of heart however if they till have faith in God... who can really judge ? God is the judge, and people are the choosers.

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A popular interpretation of this is that "all things" include sin, for which the Christian will only suffer a loss of a few jewels in his crown of life, but not suffer loss of eternal life...the "carnal Christian", as identified by Dr. Charles Stanley. A similar verse is found in 2 Corinthians 5:18 KJV:
"All things are of God..."​

So, is adultery, theft, lying, Satan worship, etc., "of God" and we may freely engage in such? No, as the previous verse 17 qualifies verse 18:

Does that mean "God's old opinion of our sin has passed away, and His new, tolerant, condoning, indulgent opinion toward our sin has replaced it" as many Christians cling to as an unprosperous cover for their presumptuous sins, of which they refuse to confess and forsake? Anyone can see it's referring to both our thinking and our actions, which become upright and holy by virtue of the "law of a new creature in Christ Jesus".

It's easy to see what "all things" refers to in verse 18 because the qualifier is right there in verse 17. However, sometimes we must look elsewhere to qualify a text in front of us, such as "All things are lawful for me...":

Galatians 5:19-21 KJV
[19] Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these ; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
[20] Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
[21] Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I don't know how popular that is. In all my circles it is not popular at all. The all things spoken here, is things like eating and drinking things forbidden by the law and enjoying non- sinful activities. I know th ebible is a unified whole, so there is the caveat that overt sin is excluded from this

Keeping it in both context:

! Cor. 6:

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

13 Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body.

14 And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power.

15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.

and 1 Cor. 10:

20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

23 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but all things edify not.

24 Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth.

25 Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:

26 For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof.

27 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.

28 But if any man say unto you, this is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:

29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?

30 For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?

31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This goes along with being a new creation. You are entirely new, now entirely from God, no longer Adamic, no longer of the flesh.

Much love!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient/edify not".

all things are lawful for me
But all things edify not

when reading your thread I thought of Romans 14 as vital to this question:

now accept the one who is weak in faith,
But not for the purpose of passing judgement on his opinions.

why do you judge your brother?
Why do you regard your brother with contempt?

all things are lawful …consider with “I’m convinced (am persuaded) in the Lord Jesus that nothing in unclean in itself —but to him who thinks it is unclean, to him it is unclean.

But all things edify not… consider with “If because of food your brother is hurt. You are no longer walking according to Love.

Do not destroy with your food him who Christ died. Do not let what is for you a good thing(that when you were yet in weakness and without strength, Christ died that you be made strong) do not let what is for you a good thing, be spoken evil against.
of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

Because the kingdom is not eating and drinking —-But righteousness, peace, and Joy in the Holy Spirit.

SO THEN we pursue after the things which make for peace and the “building up of one another” (Romans 14)

do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food INDEED all things are clean, but evil for the man who eats with offense.

The Faith which you have,
Have as your own conviction before God.
Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.

The strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those yet without strength. (For this is what Christ did for you, do you now go to condemn what was for your good that Christ —who was crucified that those yet weak and without strength be made strong in Him …should now be spoken evil against?) Romans 14 “Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. Each is to please his neighbor for his neighbors good, to his neighbors edification.

But all things edify not

INDEED all things are clean,
but when you destroy your brother whom Christ died—for the strong ought to bear the weakness of those without strength—you walk no longer in Charity, and so you sin against Christ. Indeed all things are clean …but evil to him who eats with offense “and so you sin against Christ” Happy is he who doesn’t condemn himself in what he approves…when you destroy your brother and so sin against Christ no longer walking in Love…isn’t that condemning yourself by that which you approve? Speaking evil against the one who neared your weaknesses while you were without strength? To me that is the point of what Paul meant by “not all things edify”

Last edited:

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know how popular that is. In all my circles it is not popular at all. The all things spoken here, is things like eating and drinking things forbidden by the law and enjoying non- sinful activities. I know th ebible is a unified whole, so there is the caveat that overt sin is excluded from this

Keeping it in both context:

! Cor. 6:

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

12 All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.

13 Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body.

14 And God hath both raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own power.

15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.

and 1 Cor. 10:

20 But I say, that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.

21 Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils.

22 Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

24 Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth.

25 Whatsoever is sold in the shambles, that eat, asking no question for conscience sake:

26 For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof.

27 If any of them that believe not bid you to a feast, and ye be disposed to go; whatsoever is set before you, eat, asking no question for conscience sake.

28 But if any man say unto you, this is offered in sacrifice unto idols, eat not for his sake that shewed it, and for conscience sake: for the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof:

29 Conscience, I say, not thine own, but of the other: for why is my liberty judged of another man's conscience?

30 For if I by grace be a partaker, why am I evil spoken of for that for which I give thanks?

31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:
It's not hard to find churches preaching this message, which is integral to those that are founded on OSAS. Just about every Christian radio broadcast is OSAS. I was disappointed to hear Adrian Rogers talk about how "the saint can never be lost" because he's so spot on with a lot of his theology. Even Southwest Radio Ministries Noah Hutchinson and Larry Spargimino taught it, two of the strongest Conservatives on the air, along with J. Vernon MaGee of the Bible Bus.

Reactions: Nancy

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This goes along with being a new creation. You are entirely new, now entirely from God, no longer Adamic, no longer of the flesh.

Much love!
Amen! And, new creatures in Christ Jesus never in a dreadful tone read the Ten Commandments as, "Thou shalt not...thou shalt not...thou shalt not...thou shalt not", conveying disdain and feelings of unwelcome prohibition.

The simply read them as, "What shall be":
"Of course, thou shalt have no other gods before God!"

"Of course, thou shalt not steal! Steal from my neighbor? No way!"

"Of course, thou shalt not commit adultery! I'd never want to do that to my wife/husband!"

Last edited:
Reactions: Brakelite

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! And, new creatures in Christ Jesus never read the Ten Commandments as "Thou shalt not...!

They read them as, "What shall be":
"Of course, thou shalt have no other gods before God!"

"Of course, thou shalt not steal! Steal from my neighbor? No way!"
If we love others as we ought, we won't be stealing from them, we'll be giving to them.

Much love!

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But all things edify not

when reading your thread I thought of Romans 14 as vital to this question:

now accept the one who is weak in faith,
But not for the purpose of passing judgement on his opinions.

why do you judge your brother?
Why do you regard your brother with contempt?

all things are lawful …consider with “I’m convinced (am persuaded) in the Lord Jesus that nothing in unclean in itself —but to him who thinks it is unclean, to him it is unclean.

But all things edify not… consider with “If because of food your brother is hurt. You are no longer walking according to Love.
In the original, the word is not "unclean" but "common", a classification invented by the Jewish leaders. Paul is saying he doesn't believe anything is "common" but still says we ought to respect the opinions of those who do.
Do not destroy with your food him who Christ died. Do not let what is for you a good thing(that when you were yet in weakness and without strength, Christ died that you be made strong) do not let what is for you a good thing, be spoken evil against.
Because the kingdom is not eating and drinking —-But righteousness, peace, and Joy in the Holy Spirit. SO THEN we pursue after the things which make for peace and the “building up of one another” (Romans 14) do not tear down the work of God for the sake of food INDEED all things are clean, but evil for the man who eats with offense.
Paul had issues with Jewish converts attempting to impose Jewish dietary restrictions associated with Feast Days, not clean/unclean. The laws of clean/unclean prevail to this day, as the apocalyptic passage in Isaiah 66 warns of what will happen at the fiery Second Coming of Jesus.
The Faith which you have,
Have as your own conviction before God.
Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves.

The strong ought to bear the weaknesses of those yet without strength. (For this is what Christ did for you, do you now go to condemn what was for your good that Christ —who was crucified that those yet weak and without strength be made strong in Him …should now be spoken evil against?) Romans 14 “Happy is he who does not condemn himself in what he approves. Each is to please his neighbor for his neighbors good, to his neighbors edification.

But all things edify not

INDEED all things are clean,
but when you destroy your brother whom Christ died—for the strong ought to bear the weakness of those without strength—you walk no longer in Charity, and so you sin against Christ. Indeed all things are clean …but evil to him who eats with offense “and so you sin against Christ” Happy is he who doesn’t condemn himself in what he approves…when you destroy your brother and so sin against Christ no longer walking in Love…isn’t that condemning yourself by that which you approve? Speaking evil against the one who neared your weaknesses while you were without strength? To me that is the point of what Paul meant by “not all things edify”
All things aren't clean...Acts 10 is a vision about "people", not about "menu items". Modern science provides God's unspoken reasons for why He prohibited the consumption of certain animals. Isaiah's solemn warning to those who violate God's laws concerning clean and unclean are wholly ignored today by preachers and thus are unknown concepts to members, but "in times of ignorance, God winked, but now commands all to repent".

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If we love others as we ought, we won't be stealing from them, we'll be giving to them.

Much love!
Amen! If we love God, we'll keep the first four - including the 7th day Sabbath - and if we love our neighbors, the last six :)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the original, the word is not "unclean" but "common", a classification invented by the Jewish leaders. Paul is saying he doesn't believe anything is "common" but still says we ought to respect the opinions of those who do.
Paul had issues with Jewish converts attempting to impose Jewish dietary restrictions associated with Feast Days, not clean/unclean. The laws of clean/unclean prevail to this day, as the apocalyptic passage in Isaiah 66 warns of what will happen at the fiery Second Coming of Jesus.
All things aren't clean...Acts 10 is a vision about "people", not about "menu items". Modern science provides God's unspoken reasons for why He prohibited the consumption of certain animals. Isaiah's solemn warning to those who violate God's laws concerning clean and unclean are wholly ignored today by preachers and thus are unknown concepts to members, but "in times of ignorance, God winked, but now commands all to repent".

Still to me Romans 14 is helpful with your topic. I wasn’t necessarily thinking of foods either but people …because of the opening about receiving him who is weak. After posting this morning another that has been on my mind is “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me”. to me that speaks again of His giving strength to those weak and without strength unto edification. The topic (unless I’ve misunderstood) is: all things are lawful but not all things edify. “I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength.” unless I’ve misunderstood, Christ giving strength is to “edify”.

Philippians 4:13-15 I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. [14] Notwithstanding you have well done, that you did communicate with my affliction. [15] Now you Philippians know also, that in the beginning of the gospel, when I departed from Macedonia, no church communicated with me as concerning giving and receiving, but you only. Romans 14 also talks in depth about the giving and receiving (even opening with receive him who is weak.)
Significant is “no church communicated with me concerning giving and receiving, but you only.”

Again instead of the all things are lawful …to me the point seems to be yet “not all things edify.” Personally I don’t think that means not all things edify ourself, but instead not all things edify another. Which to me isn’t what Christ did (edify himself) but instead became weak that we be made strong. Giving and receiving?

Last edited:

Daydreamer

Oct 2, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In rom 7:4-6 Paul wrote the following:

So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. 6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

Paul then went on to give a personal example from his own life as to why he had to die to the law/written code. He had 613 laws to choose from, he chose one of the ten commandments. He explained he was condemned by that law because of what went on, on the inside of him-his thoughts. He could not obey the law only he and God need know he broke. It would be a hard thing for a young teenager who had just reached puberty to be told, that if they dwelt on any impure thought they would be breaking the ten commandments and therefore could not hope to attain to heaven. Be tough for an adult to be told that also. In truth, it simply stirs up the desire to sin( Rom7:7&8)The ten commandments go far further than what an initial reading of them may suggest, hence Paul stated that law is the letter that kills, the ministry of death and condemnation.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"All things are lawful for me, but all things are not expedient/edify not".
Scriptures should not be taken out of context. Paul is addressing the issue of dietary restrictions:

THE ISSUE OF DIETARY RESTRICTIONS
14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean. 15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.

24 Let no man seek his own, but every man another's wealth. 25 Whatsoever is sold in the shambles [marketplace], that eat, asking no question for conscience sake: 26 For the earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof.

While the Law of Moses had many dietary restrictions, the Law of Christ has practically none. See Acts 15. So these passages are NOT about a license to sin at all.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While the Law of Moses had many dietary restrictions, the Law of Christ has practically none.
“While the Law of Moses had many dietary restrictions,
the Law of Christ has practically none.”

Galatians 5:15 But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you be not consumed one of another.
?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
“While the Law of Moses had many dietary restrictions, the Law of Christ has practically none.”
Galatians 5:15 But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you be not consumed one of another.?
Really? Do you really believe that is about cannibalism?

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not hard to find churches preaching this message, which is integral to those that are founded on OSAS. Just about every Christian radio broadcast is OSAS. I was disappointed to hear Adrian Rogers talk about how "the saint can never be lost" because he's so spot on with a lot of his theology. Even Southwest Radio Ministries Noah Hutchinson and Larry Spargimino taught it, two of the strongest Conservatives on the air, along with J. Vernon MaGee of the Bible Bus.

Well I am OSAS , hardcore! And I do not believe in grace as a license to sin. As I have pretty much given up on christian media- I know McGee but not the others.

But all the churches I know ( and I know many) all believe in OSAS and also preach holiness with a vengeance!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel

A popular interpretation of this is that "all things" include sin,

Noone teaches what you just wrote, who is a real born again believer.

Stop making things up, just to Troll the forum because you are of the "OSAS cult" that hates the Grace of God and has re-invented it as "license to sin" just to suit your Gospel of Self Saving Legalism, Phoneman777.

Daydreamer

Oct 2, 2022
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well I am OSAS , hardcore! And I do not believe in grace as a license to sin. As I have pretty much given up on christian media- I know McGee but not the others.

But all the churches I know ( and I know many) all believe in OSAS and also preach holiness with a vengeance!
Actually, according to Paul's gospel message, when you know you are secure with God through faith in Christ, not by obeying the law, you will lead a far m0re holy life. If you look to the law, and believe righteousness hinges on obeying it, the opposite will be true

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really? Do you really believe that is about cannibalism?

I do like you @Enoch111. After I’ve posted all this time here, and what you blame me for always “over spiritualizing” do you really think i thought it means cannibalism?

I was just considering your post about dietary restrictions and how there are none in the NT…thinking about where He said “you must eat My flesh and drink My blood.”

The verse about biting and devouring and consuming one another…while no I don’t think it means cannibalism. It might be just as literally true through debates and strife and wrath and trickery. As in you are what you eat up. For example Romans 14 and what Paul was kept back from doing against one who was weak—the Love of Christ restrains us(no dietary restrictions in the NT?)—kept back from tearing the weaker brother up “to death” over meat. We say dietary meat (like pork) is the heartbeat of those verses, yet what meat is Romans 14:15 But if thy brother be grieved with your meat, now walk you not charitably. Destroy not him with your meat, for whom Christ died.
did Paul really bring meat (like pork)to a weaker brother and this verse is a warning Paul against destroying the weaker brother with pork? What is “if your brother be grieved with your meat” or “destroy him not with your meat?”

Ecclesiastes 4:5 The fool folds his hands together, and eats his own flesh.
I don’t think that is literal either, but instead eating and chewing and consuming up of your own doing and wrong choices. Until you belly is full and had enough of eating, gnawing and consuming.

the beauty is: the power God has given for edification of one another. Was thinking about that last night…if God gives nothing else in the present time but “power” to edify …that is something not to be sneered at. Power to edify as in “I can do all thing through Christ who strengthens me” from where all things comes: Healing, Helps, Raising up the dead, Joy, Peace, Faith, Hope, a Sound mind… all in the strong ought to “edify” those weak and yet without strength.

but so often the strong spit on the weaker and then debate over the Law of God. Definition of oxymoron

: a combination of contradictory or incongruous words(such as cruel kindness) broadly : something (such as a concept) that is made up of contradictory or incongruous elements.

Last edited: