All things Christmas:

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In the world these days Christmas starts too early; Christmas cards in the shops in September would you believe. The opposite side of the coin is Christians who tells us that we should not celebrate Christmas at all.

So I've started this thread to balance things out. The real meaning of Christmas is forgotten by too many people these days so let's share some good stuff.

I'll start off with a poem I wrote which can be sung to the tune of Christmas Alphabet.

THE REAL CHRISTMAS ALPHABET *

C - is for the Christ-child who was born amongst the hay.

H - is for the Holiness that came to earth that day.

R - is for the Royal crown that he was born to wear.

I - is for Immanuel, which means that God is near.

S - is for the Shepherds who were the first to bow.

T - is for the Truth who is living in us now.

M -is for his Meekness and also his Majesty.

A - is his Amazing love and his Authority.

S - is for his Spirit who remains with us on earth;

So let’s honour our king,
As our praises we sing
To celebrate his birth.

(This can be sung to the ‘Christmas Alphabet’ tune - if you’re feeling festive )

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the world these days Christmas starts too early; Christmas cards in the shops in September would you believe. The opposite side of the coin is Christians who tells us that we should not celebrate Christmas at all.

So I've started this thread to balance things out. The real meaning of Christmas is forgotten by too many people these days so let's share some good stuff.

I'll start off with a poem I wrote which can be sung to the tune of Christmas Alphabet.

As our praises we sing
To celebrate his birth.

(This can be sung to the ‘Christmas Alphabet’ tune - if you’re feeling festive )

Oh Pat, that's wonderful!!! I wish I had that kind of talent..but for now, I will share in yours, xoxoxox

Reactions: Pearl

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Christmas tree . . .

Evergreen in Eternal life
The Star of Bethlehem
Stocked with Gifts of the Spirit
Adorned with the fruit of the Spirit
Lit with love . . . to shine like the stars of heaven forever!

Much love!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

As our praises we sing
To celebrate his birth.

Good post and agree.

First we get the commercial Christmas ..and children grow up just interested in presents . Before my dad was saved in in 1949 I had no idea that is was a Christian celebration.
I thought it was just the day Santa Came and left things in our stocking.

Then, as a young Christian we got into studying the pagan roots of Christmas ...so for about 20 years we would not celebrate "christmas"
Especially as it was 'the Mass of Christ' and not about His birth!!

Then we got back into it for the festive , family side of things...but not the Christian side of it.

These last years I encourage all my friends to "do" Christmas with everything they have got...at the moment it is not all "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" or 'Jungle Bells " in the Malls here...we Do still get the occasional "Joy to the World" and "Little Town Of Bethlehem"...I'm sure " certain people will soon be taking up petitions and complaining about it..and getting it stopped because it is offensive...

So I say shout Happy Christmas to the neighbours and sing along in the Malls , and enjoy freedom while it is still here. ✟

Reactions: Nancy and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Good post and agree.

First we get the commercial Christmas ..and children grow up just interested in presents . Before my dad was saved in in 1949 I had no idea that is was a Christian celebration.
I thought it was just the day Santa Came and left things in our stocking.

Then, as a young Christian we got into studying the pagan roots of Christmas ...so for about 20 years we would not celebrate "christmas"
Especially as it was 'the Mass of Christ' and not about His birth!!

Then we got back into it for the festive , family side of things...but not the Christian side of it.

These last years I encourage all my friends to "do" Christmas with everything they have got...at the moment it is not all "I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" or 'Jungle Bells " in the Malls here...we Do still get the occasional "Joy to the World" and "Little Town Of Bethlehem"...I'm sure " certain people will soon be taking up petitions and complaining about it..and getting it stopped because it is offensive...

So I say shout Happy Christmas to the neighbours and sing along in the Malls , and enjoy freedom while it is still here. ✟
Lovely post Helen. You've hit the nail right on the head. Our town's seasonal festival is now called Winter Festival - no mention of Christ. But they still put a Nativity crib on the square.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Real Christmas Gift

As they deck their halls with holly
And put up their Christmas tree;
As they eat and drink till jolly
How many will remember me?

As they carve the big roast turkey
And fill their glasses once again;
As they pull their gaudy crackers
How many know about my pain?

As they sing their old-time carols
And gulp another brandy down;
As they sing about the manger
How many see my thorny crown?

As they open gift-wrapped presents
And organize a party game;
As they pig-out on the chocolates
How many know just why I came?

As you enjoy this festive season
And presents to your loved ones give;
As you light your Christmas candles
Know I died that you might live.

By Pat Ball aka Pearl Dec 2005

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn’t feel like Christmas yet. But how is Christmas supposed to feel? Perhaps it’s different for everybody.

I usually enjoy the peace and quiet later on Christmas Eve after it’s gone dark and all the shops have shut and the traffic on the road outside is down to a bare minimum, when the TV is showing ‘Carols From Kings’ and there is an air of anticipation. But what am I waiting for? Is it for what I hope Christmas day will bring in the way of gifts or is it for what I hope it will be like as I spend it with family.

I’ve been thinking about these things this morning and I think it must all be a pot-pouri of remembered feelings from right back over the years since I was a child.

Being without my tree and other Christmas trimmings this year has had the effect of making me think less about the preparations and more about Jesus and his place in my life:

• I don’t need fairy lights when I have the Light of the World.

• I don’t need evergreens to remind me of the hope of everlasting life in Christ.

• I don’t need chocolate when I can feed on the Bread of Life

• I don’t need booze when I can drink the New Wine or the Water of Life.

• I don’t need gifts when I already have the best gift of all – my new life in Christ.

• I don’t need fancy festive food when I can feast on the abundance of God’s house and drink from the river of delights.

I feel a true peace in my heart as I sit here and I wish you all a peaceful and joyful Christmas however you spend it. And I hope the best gift you will receive is a new gift from God; perhaps a word of encouragement or a new insight or a greater awareness of his presence.

God bless.

Love, Pat xx

Reactions: Nancy

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Awww love this!!!! I made a poem for the kid's Christmas Play for the kids to say.

C is for Mary's Child
H is for Mary's husband Joseph
R is for Rocky Road, not the ice cream (the trail to Bethlehem)
I is for the Innkeeper
S is for SuperStar (the star of Bethlehem is played by a kid in an Elvis costume. says the Bible verse of the star)
T is for Tired Shepherds
M is for the Magi, or Wise men
A is for the Angels
S is for our Savior's Birthday

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It doesn’t feel like Christmas yet. But how is Christmas supposed to feel? Perhaps it’s different for everybody.

I usually enjoy the peace and quiet later on Christmas Eve after it’s gone dark and all the shops have shut and the traffic on the road outside is down to a bare minimum, when the TV is showing ‘Carols From Kings’ and there is an air of anticipation. But what am I waiting for? Is it for what I hope Christmas day will bring in the way of gifts or is it for what I hope it will be like as I spend it with family.

I’ve been thinking about these things this morning and I think it must all be a pot-pouri of remembered feelings from right back over the years since I was a child.

Being without my tree and other Christmas trimmings this year has had the effect of making me think less about the preparations and more about Jesus and his place in my life:

• I don’t need fairy lights when I have the Light of the World.

• I don’t need evergreens to remind me of the hope of everlasting life in Christ.

• I don’t need chocolate when I can feed on the Bread of Life

• I don’t need booze when I can drink the New Wine or the Water of Life.

• I don’t need gifts when I already have the best gift of all – my new life in Christ.

• I don’t need fancy festive food when I can feast on the abundance of God’s house and drink from the river of delights.
I feel a true peace in my heart as I sit here and I wish you all a peaceful and joyful Christmas however you spend it. And I hope the best gift you will receive is a new gift from God; perhaps a word of encouragement or a new insight or a greater awareness of his presence.

God bless.

Love, Pat xx

Amen Pat...Good post. I could 'feel it'. ♥︎

You are blessed to still have a nativity allowed in your village square.

Like you say in your post...
If and when the Christian "Christmas" is banned ( the commercial one will never be, too much of a money maker for businesses )

We have the wonderful inner peace that no one and nothing can ever ban or take Christ out of our hearts ... Yay! We win , every time. :)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Christmas – an overview

Magnificent, mighty, majestic and mild,
Our God came to earth and was born as a child.
His father a craftsman, his mother a maid
When the Son of God in her arms was first laid.

Heaven rejoiced at the birth of her King
And humble shepherds heard angel choirs sing.
They were led to his birthplace and gazing with awe,
Fell to their knees the new King to adore.

Noble kings from the east came following a star,
Bringing frankincense, gold and myrrh in a jar.
The shepherds so lowly, the magi so proud,
All honoured our Saviour with knees bent and heads bowed.

As the story of Christmas once more is re-told
Nobody needs to be left out in the cold.
All are invited to come to the King,
A penitent heart is all you need bring.

When you have given the gift of your heart,
He’ll wipe out your sin and you’ll get a new start.
This child in the manger lying on straw
Is the King of all kings, so regard him with awe.

For so many Christmas is a time to indulge;
Eat, drink and make merry until their tums bulge.
The real message of Christmas brings love, joy and release.
Give him your heart and you’ll know lasting peace.

Pat Ball 16th November 2014

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Christmas – an overview

Magnificent, mighty, majestic and mild,
Our God came to earth and was born as a child.
His father a craftsman, his mother a maid
When the Son of God in her arms was first laid.

Heaven rejoiced at the birth of her King
And humble shepherds heard angel choirs sing.
They were led to his birthplace and gazing with awe,
Fell to their knees the new King to adore.

Noble kings from the east came following a star,
Bringing frankincense, gold and myrrh in a jar.
The shepherds so lowly, the magi so proud,
All honoured our Saviour with knees bent and heads bowed.

As the story of Christmas once more is re-told
Nobody needs to be left out in the cold.
All are invited to come to the King,
A penitent heart is all you need bring.

When you have given the gift of your heart,
He’ll wipe out your sin and you’ll get a new start.
This child in the manger lying on straw
Is the King of all kings, so regard him with awe.

For so many Christmas is a time to indulge;
Eat, drink and make merry until their tums bulge.
The real message of Christmas brings love, joy and release.
Give him your heart and you’ll know lasting peace.

Pat Ball 16th November 2014

Another excellent one Pat. :)

Are you still writing poems?
My dad would always have a pen and paper by his bed....he'd wake up in the middle of the night with an inspiration and write it down in the dark.:)

Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Another excellent one Pat. :)

Are you still writing poems?
My dad would always have a pen and paper by his bed....he'd wake up in the middle of the night with an inspiration and write it down in the dark.:)
I haven't done anything for ages. But I never plan to write a poem it just sort of 'comes' and I write down the first line and the rest follow. Like your dad I have pen and paper by my bed in case the start of a poem comes to me in the night, but it hasn't for a while.

Reactions: Helen

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking about why Christmas isn't the same as it used to be. It doesn't have the same impact because back when I was a kid and also as a young mum we had to wait till the 24th or the day itself for our festive treats but these days you can get mince pies all year round basically, and tangerines or satsumas etc. are for everyday not just for Christmas.

The large boxes of Roses and Quality Streets etc. go on sale in the supermarkets early because those clever people in marketing know that if we buy one to 'put away' it won't last till the 25th and we will have to buy another.

Back when I was girl the celebration of Christmas was condensed into a few days between 24th and New Year's day with most of the week in between being work days. And much more importance was given to the religious side of it than there is today. It was simpler and all the better for that in my view.

We never had much in the way of treats at all when I was a little girl - people didn't spend their money on such trivial things and parents were not so indulgent. The odd ice cream in the summer or the occasional packet of crisps or bag of sweets was about as good as it got; so as Christmas approached we had all those treats to anticipate and look forward to over the few days of Christmas. It made it more special somehow that it was a once-a year treat.

Reactions: Helen and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Real Christmas Gift

As they deck their halls with holly
And put up their Christmas tree;
As they eat and drink till jolly
How many will remember me?

As they carve the big roast turkey
And fill their glasses once again;
As they pull their gaudy crackers
How many know about my pain?

As they sing their old-time carols
And gulp another brandy down;
As they sing about the manger
How many see my thorny crown?

As they open gift-wrapped presents
And organize a party game;
As they pig-out on the chocolates
How many know just why I came?

As you enjoy this festive season
And presents to your loved ones give;
As you light your Christmas candles
Know I died that you might live.

By Pat Ball aka Pearl Dec 2005

:(

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was thinking about why Christmas isn't the same as it used to be. It doesn't have the same impact because back when I was a kid and also as a young mum we had to wait till the 24th or the day itself for our festive treats but these days you can get mince pies all year round basically, and tangerines or satsumas etc. are for everyday not just for Christmas.

The large boxes of Roses and Quality Streets etc. go on sale in the supermarkets early because those clever people in marketing know that if we buy one to 'put away' it won't last till the 25th and we will have to buy another.

Back when I was girl the celebration of Christmas was condensed into a few days between 24th and New Year's day with most of the week in between being work days. And much more importance was given to the religious side of it than there is today. It was simpler and all the better for that in my view.

We never had much in the way of treats at all when I was a little girl - people didn't spend their money on such trivial things and parents were not so indulgent. The odd ice cream in the summer or the occasional packet of crisps or bag of sweets was about as good as it got; so as Christmas approached we had all those treats to anticipate and look forward to over the few days of Christmas. It made it more special somehow that it was a once-a year treat.

My one sister makes a ton of cookies, all Italian recipes. She gives them as gifts and, it is not cheap to make them, especially the fig ones.
Growing up...it was the same as all the others, gifts and goodies...not much of the religious side although, my mom always reminded us.
tenor.gif