Alternative Browsers

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
IE, not IE, Firefox, Chrome...

Has anyone ever used Vivaldi or Lunascape? Got any others you like?

I'm playing around with them, mainly just to use something different. It's still very early, but I really like Vivaldi on a Windows box. It just feels new and fresh.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fair enough!

I like shiny and new just for novelty's sake sometimes. Firefox and Chrome are my go-to browsers. We have to use IE at work, so I hold my nose and keep it patched!

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where I work, we need at minimum both IE and chrome because of all the vendor-specific websites that people need access to. Some are still only compatible with ie 8 if you can believe that.. -_-

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believe it? I live it, both this job (less of an issue now hallelujah) and my previous job. It's quite insane to think how locked in some are to older versions when it comes to enterprise, intranet, and even web.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I use chrome now, it was slow, laggy and froze for a while, so i uninstalled it and switched over to firefox for a bit, until i got an uninstallable annoying sweetbits toolbar or what it's called, so i switched back to Chrome, and it was working fine again. I have used Opera before, and i found it pretty good, Safari doesn't run real smooth on any Microsoft OS.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
HammerStone said:
Fair enough!

I like shiny and new just for novelty's sake sometimes. Firefox and Chrome are my go-to browsers. We have to use IE at work, so I hold my nose and keep it patched!
I'm a long-term Firefox/Thunderbird user but my wife uses Chrome for banking on the advice of our IT professional son. I'll mention your other suggestions (Vivaldi or Lunascape) to him, but for me I'll stick with Firefox as this old bloke knows it best. I also had to use IE at work but would not use it at home.

But let's face it - I only know enough about the Internet to get me around its connections for my advantage.

Oz

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hammer

That's why there's still so many vulnerabilities out there. Especially when you get into software programming. It's a nightmare I'm learning. If you ever need something written, don't write it in C lol. Write it in a memory-safe/ secure language.

We have some computers running Windows NT. That's all I'll say about that. Vendors are some of the laziest people out there.

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
Thanks a lot for this thread. Installed Vivaldi. Looks very good. Better than my firefox. Everything is minimized into icons. Also need to check MS new browser. :)

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Firefox was always my favorite. I still use it some. I remember when tabbed browsing came out, it felt like someone understood me and my browsing habits. I am bad practice when it comes to tabs, though, because I like to leave them up. I don't do so well with some of the memory/bookmarking that don't have the items in front of you, so tabbed browsing works for jogging the memory.

That's why there's still so many vulnerabilities out there. Especially when you get into software programming. It's a nightmare I'm learning. If you ever need something written, don't write it in C lol. Write it in a memory-safe/ secure language.

We have some computers running Windows NT. That's all I'll say about that. Vendors are some of the laziest people out there.
I did some low level development for a large employer and I very much know what you're talking about. What are some of your favorite desktop languages with an eye towards security? I recently sat in on a Rust presentation and it looked enticing. Very, very limited on desktop development. Learned some Java in school and did some Visual Basic reading and playing in college, but generally speaking a web guy.

And no problem prashanthd, I am always into tinkering with software. I think Vivaldi has that feel of Firefox 2.0 in that it's at least a partial light on how things will go as all browsers evolve.

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The languages I prefer for both hacking and development are, Java, Python, and Javascript. I have basically had my hand in too many pots lately, and so i'm making very little progress on any front. But i've been learning things like:
  • building my own port scanner
  • malware analysis
  • anti-virus evasion
  • wifi cracking
  • buffer overflows
  • SQL injection
  • process hijacking
  • CPU Hooking
With respect to security though, languages like python are immune to most memory attacks because the language does everything for you. There's no need to reference memory addresses at all in the same way you would in C or C++. I believe Java, Perl, .NET, C# and Ruby are like this as well. The main thing people complain about is memory pointer access "speed", but with today's computers, that argument is basically dead.

T

TravisT

I've tried almost all of them. Firefox with a bunch of addons is my favorite. I also use Chrome and Opera on occasion.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've tried most of them at one time or another in the past, including the new Edge, but I always revert to IE. Chrome never seems to be ready for prime time, in Windows or Android. My son tells me he uses Safari on his iPhone but doesn't really like it.

T

TravisT

I'm thinking about creating a new thread maybe like a top 10 free software suggestions.

Example:

Best Free Spyware Removal Program - Malwarebytes.

Best Free Browser

Best Antivirus

The choices would obviously be up for debate.