Ancient Book of Psalms Found

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
Medieval book of psalms unearthedFirst millennium manuscript, open to Psalm 83, found in Irish mud Tuesday, July 25, 2006 Posted: 2228 GMT (0628 HKT) The ancient book was found by a construction worker, who was removing peat with a backhoe. Ireland DUBLIN, Ireland (AP) -- Irish archaeologists Tuesday heralded the discovery of an ancient book of psalms by a construction worker while driving the shovel of his backhoe into a bog.The approximately 20-page book has been dated to the years 800-1000. Trinity College manuscripts expert Bernard Meehan said it was the first discovery of an Irish early medieval document in two centuries."This is really a miracle find," said Pat Wallace, director of the National Museum of Ireland, which has the book stored in refrigeration. Researchers will conduct years of painstaking analysis before putting the book on public display."There's two sets of odds that make this discovery really way out," Wallace said. "First of all, it's unlikely that something this fragile could survive buried in a bog at all, and then for it to be unearthed and spotted before it was destroyed is incalculably more amazing."He said an engineer was digging up bogland last week to create commercial potting soil somewhere in Ireland's midlands when "just beyond the bucket of his bulldozer, he spotted something." Wallace would not specify where the book was found because a team of archaeologists is still exploring the site."The owner of the bog has had dealings with us in past and is very much in favor of archaeological discovery and reporting it," Wallace said.Crucially, he said, the bog owner covered up the book with damp soil. Had it been left exposed overnight, he said, "it could have dried out and just vanished, blown away."The book was found open to a page describing, in Latin script, Psalm 83, in which God hears complaints of other nations' attempts to wipe out the name of Israel.Wallace said several experts spent Tuesday analyzing only that page -- the number of letters on each line, lines on each page, size of page -- and the book's binding and cover, which he described as "leather velum, very thick wallet in appearance."It could take months of study, he said, just to identify the safest way to pry open the pages without damaging or destroying them. He ruled out the use of X-rays to investigate without moving the pages.Ireland already has several other holy books from the early medieval period, including the ornately illustrated Book of Kells, which has been on display at Trinity College in Dublin since the 19th century.Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. ---------------------------------------------------------Considering whats happening in Israel right now its pretty amazing that this was open to Psalm 83

Lyte

Jul 12, 2006
(kriss)
Considering whats happening in Israel right now its pretty amazing that this was open to Psalm 83
This is true! I heard about this on CNN and was pretty amazed!Lyte

charleychacko

Jul 27, 2006
They've found a copy of Psalm 83 in Ireland. They have no idea how something so old could have lasted where it was. Have you read Psalm 83? I don't think it was found by mistake. It's about God's enemies and wanting God to destroy them so that His kingdom of righteousness and peace will come. My Bible explains that this Psalm also foreshadows the time when Christ defeats His enemies during the seven year tribulation. Could finding this Psalm be a warning from God about the coming tribulation?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I knew that they had unearthed a Psalm book but I had no idea that it was open to Psalm 83. I think anyone can see that this is much more than mere coincidence. I wonder what the odds are.Psalm 83:4They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance.Sounds a bit familiar now doesn't it? The confederation described in the following verses will most certainly make you stop in your tracks.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(charleychacko;1890)
They've found a copy of Psalm 83 in Ireland. They have no idea how something so old could have lasted where it was. Have you read Psalm 83? I don't think it was found by mistake. It's about God's enemies and wanting God to destroy them so that His kingdom of righteousness and peace will come. My Bible explains that this Psalm also foreshadows the time when Christ defeats His enemies during the seven year tribulation. Could finding this Psalm be a warning from God about the coming tribulation?
charleychacko in mergeing your post with other post about this ended up under old thread title