And Science Says Our Gap Theory Is Bad.....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
That's because "intelligent design" was a religious belief turned into a legal ploy, to try and sneak creationism into public schools. It never worked on that front (it ended with the Dover, PA verdict), and never contributed a single thing in the science realm either. IOW, it's dead...over....done....in both the legal and scientific worlds.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
River Jordan said:
That's because "intelligent design" was a religious belief turned into a legal ploy, to try and sneak creationism into public schools. It never worked on that front (it ended with the Dover, PA verdict), and never contributed a single thing in the science realm either. IOW, it's dead...over....done....in both the legal and scientific worlds.
:rolleyes:

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
P.S. I have a feeling that the dinosaurs disappearance from the earth is due to the fact that they all decided being homo dinosaur was preferred to being hetero dinosaur.

marksman

Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
River Jordan said:
Maybe maybe not. I am reading books that are showing that the death of evolution is definitely on the cards and if it is, then Intelligent Design will make a comeback. After all you have to believe in something. That is unless you are an atheist them you worship the religion of nothing as in eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
River Jordan said:
Back in 1965, when I was a geeky little teenager, our Biology teacher, who taught the theory of evolution, was also the choir director of the church I went to. This was long before there was any real controversy between God and Science, so he really didn't know he was doing anything wrong when he would say things like "how wonderful are the mysterious works of God". He was not shy about telling his class that God created all life. He would even pray with us if we asked him to.

And it didn't hurt any of us....

:p

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
marksman said:
Maybe maybe not. I am reading books that are showing that the death of evolution is definitely on the cards and if it is, then Intelligent Design will make a comeback. After all you have to believe in something. That is unless you are an atheist them you worship the religion of nothing as in eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.
I have been reading similar material. As well as I have seen more people coming to Christ.

The dinosaur comment was hilarious LOL :p

I wonder how many atheist are married as they do not believe in love either.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
marksman said:
I am reading books that are showing that the death of evolution is definitely on the cards
Based on what?

and if it is, then Intelligent Design will make a comeback. After all you have to believe in something. That is unless you are an atheist them you worship the religion of nothing as in eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die.
Science doesn't work that way.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
The Barrd said:
Back in 1965, when I was a geeky little teenager, our Biology teacher, who taught the theory of evolution, was also the choir director of the church I went to. This was long before there was any real controversy between God and Science, so he really didn't know he was doing anything wrong when he would say things like "how wonderful are the mysterious works of God". He was not shy about telling his class that God created all life. He would even pray with us if we asked him to.

And it didn't hurt any of us....

:p
Did he cover evolution, or was it mostly just a taxpayer-funded Sunday school class? :rolleyes:

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Why are young people discarding creationism?

"In the face of this relentless pace of discovery, advocates of creationism are failing to persuade young people that scientists have no evidence of our evolution. The evidence is within our cells, billions of base pairs of information pointing to our relationships within the natural world.

For yesterday’s students, human evolution was a few illustrated fossils in a textbook. Today, students are browsing actual genome data to see our relationships to other creatures. They can browse Neandertal and Denisovan genomes. Teachers are printing 3-D casts from fossil data."

Little different from the mid-1960's, eh? :lol:

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Born_Again said:
I saw this head line and was intrigued and interested to see in there was any mention of intelligent design.... I was left laughing!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/leading-harvard-physicist-radical-theory-160000092.html;_ylt=AwrBT701IUlW1mUALlxXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTExZzQ0YmY1BGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDVUlDMV8xBHNlYwNzYw--
Only some so-called sciences can come up with the title "theoretical physicist" and make it sound credible. :eek:

Maybe she should write child fiction books?

Reactions: Born_Again

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
River Jordan said:
Did he cover evolution, or was it mostly just a taxpayer-funded Sunday school class? :rolleyes:
Of course, he covered evolution. Of course, this was the mid-sixties...but even then, we understood about dna.
I never had a problem with science. There is no conflict whatsoever between God and science. After all, God created science. We were taught that science is nothing more than a tool that we can use to discover the wonders of the beautiful world that God created for us.

The conflict is between big-headed scientists, who think that they are smarter than God, and equally vain stuffed-shirt theologians, who think that they hold the keys to all wisdom.
God and Science get along just fine...

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
The thing about evolution is this:
There is no explanation about how life began.
Yeah, I've read about how science is working on making a viable living cell....meanwhile, I'm breathing just fine.....in.....and out.....(I'm not holding my breath).

Even if they do manage to pull it off....they will only have proved that, hey.....God actually did start with "the dust of the ground". (I suspect it will take quite awhile before science manages to produce a living animal....a protozoa? I doubt they'll ever manage anything as complicated as, say, an earthworm.
I don't think God has much to worry about....He still has the monopoly on creating life....

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Scripture says that God created by letting the earth "bring forth" various organisms. Evolution is obviously the means by which the earth "brought forth".

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
River Jordan said:
Scripture says that God created by letting the earth "bring forth" various organisms. Evolution is obviously the means by which the earth "brought forth".
The earth did seem to "bring forth" quite a variety of critters, back in her youth. Perhaps the old gal is just getting tired. She doesn't seem to be producing anything new.....hasn't, as far as I know, in the history of mankind.
One thing I did notice...God specifically told her to bring forth fully developed critters, each one "after his kind"...He doesn't seem to have mentioned any morphing from one species to a different species. Now, I'm not the one to try to say how God did it.....it is enough for me to know that God did it, without my having to know all the details, which I suspect are beyond human understanding anyhow. But I do wonder, first of all, how science figures life began in the first place, as Darwin's famous theory doesn't seem to have covered that, and next, how science figures that a few living cells could eventually produce all the huge variety of living things that we see around us today. Everything from daisies to dinosaurs from a couple of cells? Well, maybe....
Of course, God can do whatever He sets His mind to do, He certainly doesn't need me, or anyone else to tell Him what He can and cannot do. I just don't think science has it "all figured out" just yet. In fact, I doubt if science ever will. It's okay though. As long as God knows what He is doing, it really doesn't matter that we don't.

And here is another question. Why is it that human beings are the only critters to develop sentience....or is that the right word? Obviously, I'm not the techie type...perhaps I mean sapience. Point is, why am I not carpooling with intelligent bears, or hiring two legged dogs or cats with fingers to do my housework? Why is every other species so far behind us?
An unlikely species, i would have thought....mankind, i mean. The outer integument is completely vulnerable...no shell, no pelt, no scales, not even a feather...nothing more than a bit of thin hair covers their bodies. They can't run very fast, or burrow, or climb, or fly. And they have no defense at all...no claws, no fangs...why compared to even the smallest predator, they are incredibly weak! These so-called "naked apes" are "easy meat". So, how did we ever survive long enough to become the masters of the planet?

I know....but I do think that there is more at work here than Momma Nature...

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
The Barrd said:
The earth did seem to "bring forth" quite a variety of critters, back in her youth. Perhaps the old gal is just getting tired. She doesn't seem to be producing anything new.....hasn't, as far as I know, in the history of mankind.
That's hard to say, since I'm not sure what you mean by "anything new".

One thing I did notice...God specifically told her to bring forth fully developed critters
I don't remember reading the words "fully developed" anywhere.

each one "after his kind"
Yep, but then "kind" is never defined in any way. Likely it's reflective of the sort of obvious logical groups animals tend to lend themselves to.

He doesn't seem to have mentioned any morphing from one species to a different species.
Probably because that sort of thing would have been a foreign, bizarre concept to the ancient Hebrews. Regardless, the evolution of new species is a repeatedly observed event. I posted a list of fundamental facts in biology HERE, and it includes some examples of new species evolving if you're interested.

But I do wonder, first of all, how science figures life began in the first place, as Darwin's famous theory doesn't seem to have covered that,
There is no comprehensive A-Z theory that goes completely from molecules to a living cell. However, there are some very good hypotheses in the works, some of which overlap a bit and have very good experimental support. A paper published this year describes how the basic building blocks of all the things you need to make a cell can be derived from the same chemical source (CLICK HERE). This is a huge advance, and IMO means they probably are very close to coming up with a comprehensive A-Z scenario.

and next, how science figures that a few living cells could eventually produce all the huge variety of living things that we see around us today. Everything from daisies to dinosaurs from a couple of cells? Well, maybe....
That's based on a wide variety of evidence from many different fields of science, that all converge on the same answer (universal common ancestry).

Of course, God can do whatever He sets His mind to do, He certainly doesn't need me, or anyone else to tell Him what He can and cannot do.
No doubt.

I just don't think science has it "all figured out" just yet. In fact, I doubt if science ever will. It's okay though. As long as God knows what He is doing, it really doesn't matter that we don't.
If science "had it all figured out", there would be no more science.

And here is another question. Why is it that human beings are the only critters to develop sentience....or is that the right word? Obviously, I'm not the techie type...perhaps I mean sapience. Point is, why am I not carpooling with intelligent bears, or hiring two legged dogs or cats with fingers to do my housework? Why is every other species so far behind us?
An unlikely species, i would have thought....mankind, i mean. The outer integument is completely vulnerable...no shell, no pelt, no scales, not even a feather...nothing more than a bit of thin hair covers their bodies. They can't run very fast, or burrow, or climb, or fly. And they have no defense at all...no claws, no fangs...why compared to even the smallest predator, they are incredibly weak! These so-called "naked apes" are "easy meat". So, how did we ever survive long enough to become the masters of the planet?
Because of our evolutionary past. In order to develop intelligence, you have to have a relatively big, complex brain. In order to have a big, complex brain, you first have to have the right anatomy to support it. Only primates have this anatomy.

It's like asking "Why don't we have wings like birds?" Well, our ancestors didn't evolve along the pathways necessary to develop wings.