"Another" Helper

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you read of Christ sending "another" Helper...what comes to mind? "Another", in addition to whom?

Most would automatically think Jesus meant another Helper in addition to Himself. After all...isn't Jesus an absolutely great helper? Well, of course! But He was not sent to "help" the world, but to seek and save the lost - as Savior.

So...what am I getting at here? If not "another" Helper other than Jesus, then other than who?

Well...who...was the first helper?

Genesis 2:18
"And the Lord God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.”'

...The first "helper" was Eve.

And, yes, we do know that the other "Helper" that Jesus promised is the Holy Spirit:

John 14:26 [Full Chapter]
"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."

But it all begs the question: Why refer to the Holy Spirit as "another" Helper, if Jesus didn't actually mean in addition to Himself?

And the answer is: The Holy Spirit is to the Last Adam (and the body of Christ), as Eve is to the first Adam.

Think of it!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When you read of Christ sending "another" Helper...what comes to mind? "Another", in addition to whom?

Most would automatically think Jesus meant another Helper in addition to Himself. After all...isn't Jesus an absolutely great helper? Well, of course! But He was not sent to "help" the world, but to seek and save the lost - as Savior.

So...what am I getting at here? If not "another" Helper other than Jesus, then other than who?

"And the Lord God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.”'

And, yes, we do know that the other "Helper" that Jesus promised is the Holy Spirit:

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you."

But it all begs the question: Why refer to the Holy Spirit as "another" Helper, if Jesus didn't actually mean in addition to Himself?

And the answer is: The Holy Spirit is to the Last Adam (and the body of Christ), as Eve is to the first Adam.

Think of it!

It's a good thought. We are to be each other's parakletos as well. The Spirit is in more than one person. So then the Spirit in one consoles the other. AND we receive an interior comforter meant to help others.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a good thought. We are to be each other's parakletos as well. The Spirit is in more than one person. So then the Spirit in one consoles the other. AND we receive an interior comforter meant to help others.
The idea brings such communion or community to the gifts of the Spirit in action.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would give me a head ache.

So, I keep it simple and believe the other helper is still The Holy Spirit.
Regardless of how many helpers you dig up.

This is the one!
Same, same.

1 Corinthians 15:46
"However, the spiritual is not first, but the natural, and afterward the spiritual."

...Much can be learned by looking at the foreshadowing of what happens first in the natural.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
While you've made a good point, and we can certainly believe that, the context indicates that in addition to Christ, the Holy Spirit would be a paraclete (Gk parakletos) to every believer. Hence "another".

We should note these words within that context:
I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. (v 18)

Also, while "Helper" is one aspect of the indwelling Holy Spirit, that word parakletos is multifacted, which means that the Holy Spirit is MUCH MORE than a Helper. Please note:

Strong's Concordance

paraklétos: called to one's aid
Original Word: παράκλητος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: paraklétos
Phonetic Spelling: (par-ak'-lay-tos)
Short Definition: an advocate, comforter, helper, Paraclete
Definition: (a) an advocate, intercessor, (b) a consoler, comforter, helper, (c) Paraclete.

The Bible says that the Lord Jesus Christ is our heavenly High Priest, our heavenly Advocate, and also our Heavenly Intercessor and Comforter. At the same time, the indwelling Spirit fulfils all these functions on earth. Therefore we have TWO divine Comforters, and the Father is also always present.

Reactions: Mayflower

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Think of it!
I have always thought that Jesus was referring to Himself as He already had the Spirit living in Him, but His disciples had not yet received the Holy Spirit so, wouldn't it make sense that Jesus Himself was their "helper, comforter, teacher..." and therefore, as He was about to ascend, or "leave them", He would send another hence...I will be with you always. JMHO

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I have always thought that Jesus was referring to Himself as He already had the Spirit living in Him, but His disciples had not yet received the Holy Spirit so, wouldn't it make sense that Jesus Himself was their "helper, comforter, teacher..." and therefore, as He was about to ascend, or "leave them", He would send another hence...I will be with you always. JMHO

I can see that.
He was Emanuel..."God with us".
Another Comforter would be the Holy Spirit = "God IN us! " YAY!!

( I think your font is getting bigger and bigger...you are even beating Amadeus now!! :D )

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can see that.
He was Emanuel..."God with us".
Another Comforter would be the Holy Spirit = "God IN us! " YAY!!

( I think your font is getting bigger and bigger...you are even beating Amadeus now!! :D )
Yes my font is a bit bigger...I have to change it on my computer in settings as I wanted to try something different...I will go back to the other one. Lol.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes my font is a bit bigger...I have to change it on my computer in settings as I wanted to try something different...I will go back to the other one. Lol.

Just hit "Command" and then + key until it is the size you want it......that is what I do...

I was just pulling your leg xx

Reactions: Mayflower and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just hit "Command" and then + key until it is the size you want it......that is what I do...

I was just pulling your leg xx
No, you were right! I was wondering when someone might mention it, but I already knew to change it back and did...so how is this one? :)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Think of it!

John 14:16-17
[16] And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; [17] Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 16:13
[13] Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

John 15:26
[26] But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

“He shall not speak of himself...” “...he shall testify of me:” ...? This has always seemed odd to me.

1 John 4:6 “We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.”

Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While you've made a good point, and we can certainly believe that, the context indicates that in addition to Christ, the Holy Spirit would be a paraclete (Gk parakletos) to every believer. Hence "another".

We should note these words within that context:
I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. (v 18)

Also, while "Helper" is one aspect of the indwelling Holy Spirit, that word parakletos is multifacted, which means that the Holy Spirit is MUCH MORE than a Helper. Please note:

Strong's Concordance

paraklétos: called to one's aid
Original Word: παράκλητος, ου, ὁ
Part of Speech: Noun, Masculine
Transliteration: paraklétos
Phonetic Spelling: (par-ak'-lay-tos)
Short Definition: an advocate, comforter, helper, Paraclete
Definition: (a) an advocate, intercessor, (b) a consoler, comforter, helper, (c) Paraclete.

The Bible says that the Lord Jesus Christ is our heavenly High Priest, our heavenly Advocate, and also our Heavenly Intercessor and Comforter. At the same time, the indwelling Spirit fulfils all these functions on earth. Therefore we have TWO divine Comforters, and the Father is also always present.
All good. The distinction that I was pointing out is that of Eve also being named as a "helper"...and yet is as different as the natural and the spiritual.

Thanks!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, indeed. And yet of the same name as "helper", Eve was nothing of the sort...but represents a foreshadowing in the natural of what we have with the Holy Spirit in the spiritual.

Reactions: Nancy

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 14:16-17
[16] And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; [17] Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

John 16:13
[13] Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

John 15:26
[26] But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

“He shall not speak of himself...” “...he shall testify of me:” ...? This has always seemed odd to me.

1 John 4:6 “We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.”
There is another key to understanding this in Paul's comment that "to live is Christ." By this, he did not mean that he was the same man, Jesus Christ. But rather that being "in Christ" and "Christ in him", he to manifested the things of Christ...which is the key. You see, it is Christ who became a man, who was manifest in the flesh and was victorious. Thus, it is Christ who is given the credit, making the glory of God and the Holy Spirit, the glory of men.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does anyone here know for certain whether or not the word "another" is even expressed in the original text?
Great question!

Jhn 14:16
And G2532 I G1473 will pray G2065 the Father, G3962and G2532 he shall give G1325 you G5213 another G243Comforter, G3875 that G2443 he may abide G3306 with G3326you G5216 for G1519 ever; G165

ἄλλος állos, al'-los; a primary word; "else," i.e. different (in many applications):—more, one (another), (an-, some an-)other(-s, -wise).

...and while I was at it I also looked up the verse referring to Eve as "helper."

Gen 2:18
And the LORD H3068 God H430 said, H559 It is not good H2896 that the man H120 should be H1961 alone; I will make H6213 him an help meet H5828 for him. H5048

עֵזֶר ʻêzer, ay'-zer; from H5826; aid:—help.