Any prophecies out there we can actually believe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are there any prophecies out there we can actually believe? I am wondering about the times and the seasons and it is like we are not hearing much from God. Plenty of speculation out there, but nothing I can believe as of God.

When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. - Deuteronomy 18:22

Presumptuously, Zadown in the Hebrew; interpreted - pride, insolence, presumptuousness, arrogance

There are a lot of people prophecying things of the future, including the Lord's coming, but they are doing it from the spirit of their own ego, and God is not in the word they teach.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are there any prophecies out there we can actually believe?

My question would be.. " Are there any Prophets?
We know that Paul mentioned in Eph 4 ..prophets in the functions of the gifts..Apostle, prophet, teachers, evangelists etc...
But I know of no real , true, proven seers in this day of ours.
Many shoot their mouth off....but I trust none.

Reactions: Dcopymope

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are there any prophecies out there we can actually believe? I am wondering about the times and the seasons and it is like we are not hearing much from God. Plenty of speculation out there, but nothing I can believe as of God.

When a prophet speaketh in the name of the Lord, if the thing follow not, nor come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord hath not spoken, but the prophet hath spoken it presumptuously: thou shalt not be afraid of him. - Deuteronomy 18:22

Presumptuously, Zadown in the Hebrew; interpreted - pride, insolence, presumptuousness, arrogance

There are a lot of people prophecying things of the future, including the Lord's coming, but they are doing it from the spirit of their own ego, and God is not in the word they teach.

I think the only "prophecy" as I call it that you can trust when it comes down to it is time, because time always tells the truth.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My question would be.. " Are there any Prophets?
We know that Paul mentioned in Eph 4 ..prophets in the functions of the gifts..Apostle, prophet, teachers, evangelists etc...
But I know of no real , true, proven seers in this day of ours.
Many shoot their mouth off....but I trust none.

I think you might include Apostles along with Prophets. Those two gifts seem to have ended with the last of the Apostles.

Reactions: Helen

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Look up Charlie Shamp on facebook, he has been near 100% accurate, God will show or tell him something and then he prophecies and then revisits those prophecies when they come to past, even the less significant things, God told him something was gonna happen to Big Ben, and then it came to past they stopped ringing the bell for maintenance, and he was shown this was gonna be a bad hurricane season in the US, and then Hurricane Harvey comes months later, but check out his facebook page, it's full of prophecies that have came to past, interesting thing after that, God told my dad specifically LA is going to be next, and days later largest fire in acres in history in LA, so true prophecies are still very much alive today, but there are so many voices out there today, it's easy to be tricked, a lot of people seem to prophesying at the moment, and not all are true prophecies, sadly I kind of find it's a bit of a 50/50 strike rate for Christians giving prophecies at the moment, but there are still a few accurate prophets out there that are pretty accurate, and a lot of these accurate prophets don't have a high profile.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe we do still have prophets and apostles in the Church today. But they will be found functioning within the local body of believers with that gift of the Holy Spirit. The last Old Testament prophet was John the Baptist. And in the last days, there is another to come which will either be Elijah or one who stands in his power and ministry. But for the Church, the prophet and apostle is found in that local assembly.

One thing that will usually characterize a prophet is that no one likes him. Not because of him, but because of the message he brings.

Stranger

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God doesn't speak to us through prophets, we have the Holy Spirit living in us. The Old Covenant God spoke through prophets because the Holy Spirit didn't live in people and prophets were needed to tell people what to do. The New Covenant God speaks to us through His Son and the Holy Spirit talks to us about Jesus, encouraging, comforting and strengthening us, so if what you hear is doom and gloom, endtime predictions and how sinful you are, it's not from God.

Hebrews 1:1,2 John 14:26

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

why? are there supposed to be any, at this time? a prophet of the Living God is simply someone who repeats what the Lord God has told them. maybe no one is listening, maybe the people the Lord God is talking to "prophets", aren't being heard, more likely ignored by those who listen for the things they want to hear. in all honesty what makes you think there aren't prophets doing their job? what? because you are not hearing, or hearing what you want to hear?

I suspect no one wants to hear the Truth, more then the Lord would leave His people without message. He's way to Faithfull for that.

but then again "His People", and those who call themselves aren't necessarily called. why should the Lord speak to them. thing is, Gentiles aren't chosen as a general populous like the children of Israel are chosen, therefore no matter the circumstance, obedient or not, the Lord is faithful to His Promise to Abraham. the Gentiles or heathens population aren't under the same contract. only grafted in by the Lord's calling, and the Father's choice, because they are sons of Noah who found Grace in God's sight. so there's no obligation to notify the Gentile population only those that are His and have found Grace.

the Lord has been working the Israelites back home for quite some time now, maybe one should go to Israel and see if He has assigned any prophets there.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Considering that there are probably thousands of supposed prophets and preachers and teachers and men of God in what may be called Christendom, is not your seemingly irrevocable conclusion rather final? How many of the thousands have you heard? Even if you serious tried, could you in your lifetime [presuming a long life] possibly have personally checked them all out?

Without doubt some who claim to be prophets are not, but the apostle Paul writes this:

"And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:" Eph 4:11-15

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you might include Apostles along with Prophets. Those two gifts seem to have ended with the last of the Apostles.
I really have to disagree with this. A prophet is anyone who speaks the Word of God, not necessarily in some prediction of future events. That would be included in prophecy, but it is not the only thing.

The Church is the Mother as God is the Father. The Mother gives birth [through witnesses] and nourishes [though feeding people the Word of God] so that they can increase moving closer to the "face to face" of I Cor 13:12 and the better vision of I John 3:2.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I really have to disagree with this. A prophet is anyone who speaks the Word of God, not necessarily in some prediction of future events. That would be included in prophecy, but it is not the only thing.

The Church is the Mother as God is the Father. The Mother gives birth [through witnesses] and nourishes [though feeding people the Word of God] so that they can increase moving closer to the "face to face" of I Cor 13:12 and the better vision of I John 3:2.

Thank you for your reply.
But wouldn't an Apostle or Prophet from the very early Church speak infallibly? Their teachings have been written down, in Scripture.
An apostle or prophet coming after the beginning of the Church, can only proclaim what is already been written; which happens a lot and is needed for the Church, but (I think) is not with the same authority of the Apostle Paul or John the baptist.
I guess I would always question the authority of any prophet now-a-days, by comparing their teaching with Scripture.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Church speak infallibly?

1Co 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
1Co 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.In reality these days, God should not need any prophets, because we have being given teh Holy Spirit, so in reality we should mostly have some idea what God is doing.

Reactions: Helen and Armadillo

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

SINCE IT IS GOD ALONE WHO SAVES (according to scripture) are you equating the church with God or are you equating the work of the Holy Spirit with the church? The body of Christ continues to do the work of God, but it is not the source of the Holy Spirit, who is God the Spirit or God with us. This is also a fundamental misunderstanding which has misled the church in so called rapture doctrine: the idea that somehow the church is the source of God rather than God, the Father of all spirits, being the source of the church. Rapture doctrine is the tail trying to wag the dog.
With regard to the OP, you have to understand prophecy in order to believe it, and very few people seem to have anything but a shallow understanding of prophecy that never goes beyond simple physical manifestations. In any case the purpose of prophecy is less about changing anything and more about proving the scripture legitimate as the written word of God.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your reply.
But wouldn't an Apostle or Prophet from the very early Church speak infallibly? Their teachings have been written down, in Scripture.
An apostle or prophet coming after the beginning of the Church, can only proclaim what is already been written; which happens a lot and is needed for the Church, but (I think) is not with the same authority of the Apostle Paul or John the baptist.
I guess I would always question the authority of any prophet now-a-days, by comparing their teaching with Scripture.
Infallibly? Their words were as infallible as ours when and if they or we were/are allowing the Holy Spirit in us to quicken God's Word in our mouths. Because they were early and because they were apostles of prophets called by God does not mean that they had already overcome all of "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life" [I John 2:16] in themselves. Did they really have more to work with than you and I? Did they do better? God knows.

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." II Cor 10:12

You say their words were written and so they were in part, but even there we see errors, such as Peter sitting with the Jews to cater to them after he knew that God was no respecter of persons [Gal 2:11ff]. This doesn't mean he was not a man of God. It means he had not yet overcome the world like Jesus did.

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Infallibly? Their words were as infallible as ours when and if they or we were/are allowing the Holy Spirit in us to quicken God's Word in our mouths. Because they were early and because they were apostles of prophets called by God does not mean that they had already overcome all of "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes and the pride of life" [I John 2:16] in themselves. Did they really have more to work with than you and I? Did they do better? God knows.

"For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." II Cor 10:12

You say their words were written and so they were in part, but even there we see errors, such as Peter sitting with the Jews to cater to them after he knew that God was no respecter of persons [Gal 2:11ff]. This doesn't mean he was not a man of God. It means he had not yet overcome the world like Jesus did.

I think we disagree. I hope, by faith, to accept only the words of Scripture as infallible; not "Their words were as infallible as ours when and if they or we were/are allowing the Holy Spirit in us to quicken God's Word in our mouths." If you mean by "God's Word in our mouths" as the very words of Scripture, then I agree; but if you mean any word you or anyone speaks, supposedly by the Holy Spirit I disagree. He has exalted above all things, His Name and His Word.
And, Peter certainly made an error, but I take his words in Scripture to be without error.
I hope I did not imply that the early Apostles had become sinless, or had completely overcome the world.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SINCE IT IS GOD ALONE WHO SAVES (according to scripture) are you equating the church with God or are you equating the work of the Holy Spirit with the church?

The Church is people. Are they not the hands of God attached to the arm of God, which is Jesus? Is there not a "right hand" of God as well as a "left hand"? Which one, or with which one, should we want to be?

"Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?" Isaiah 53:1

"And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:
And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left." Matt 25:32-33

Should we be sheep or goats?

The body of Christ continues to do the work of God, but it is not the source of the Holy Spirit, who is God the Spirit or God with us. This is also a fundamental misunderstanding which has misled the church in so called rapture doctrine:

The Body of Christ is not the source of the Holy Spirit, but it is the dwelling place of the quickening [bringing to Life] Spirit. The Holy Spirit in us is what connects us to one another and to the Head which is to be our Leader [our Head, which is Jesus]. This is how we are to do greater works even than Jesus did:

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father." John 14:12

the idea that somehow the church is the source of God rather than God, the Father of all spirits, being the source of the church. Rapture doctrine is the tail trying to wag the dog.

I never mentioned rapture doctrine. Is not our Lord to be in us now so that we can be with Him and He with us always?

"And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou this?" John 11:26

With regard to the OP, you have to understand prophecy in order to believe it, and very few people seem to have anything but a shallow understanding of prophecy that never goes beyond simple physical manifestations. In any case the purpose of prophecy is less about changing anything and more about proving the scripture legitimate as the written word of God.

And whose fault is that a believer is not increasing in his understanding? Certainly not God's!

This doesn't mean that no one is increasing, does it? It may be few as there were few that came out of Egypt into the wilderness who also entered into the Promised Land, but that is still not zero.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we disagree. I hope, by faith, to accept only the words of Scripture as infallible; not "Their words were as infallible as ours when and if they or we were/are allowing the Holy Spirit in us to quicken God's Word in our mouths." If you mean by "God's Word in our mouths" as the very words of Scripture, then I agree; but if you mean any word you or anyone speaks, supposedly by the Holy Spirit I disagree. He has exalted above all things, His Name and His Word.
And, Peter certainly made an error, but I take his words in Scripture to be without error.
I hope I did not imply that the early Apostles had become sinless, or had completely overcome the world.
When a person is really led by the Holy Spirit in what he says, he really is infallible. Of course, just because a person says that he is led doesn't mean that he is. On the other hand, how does a person correctly discern that another person is led by the Holy Spirit except that God show him that it is so?

The difficulty is that nearly every person at times quenches the Holy Spirit of God in him and then he speaks for himself instead of for God even though he might be quoting scripture. The apostle Paul admonishes us:

"Quench not the Spirit." I Thess 5:19

When we are quenching the Spirit, we are not infallible and we certainly can and do sin.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Presumptuously... Out of their own ego! There are many out there who put their whole lives studying these things and drawing conclusions. With the spirit of ego you can tell that a devil is in there somewhere monkeying around with the Word of God.

If I had to pick an end time date I would go with the scientist, Isaac Newton...

“And I heard the man clothed in linen, which was upon the waters of the river, when he held up his right hand and his left hand unto heaven, and sware by him that liveth for ever that it shall be for a time, times, and an half.” –Daniel 12:7

From a folio cataloged as Yahuda MS 7.3g, f. 13v:

"So then the time times & half a time are 42 months or 1260 days or three years & an half, reckoning twelve months to a year & 30 days to a month as was done in the Calendar of the primitive year. And the days of short lived Beasts being put for the years of lived kingdoms, the period of 1260 days, if dated from the complete conquest of the three kings A.C. 800, will end A.C. 2060.”" - – Isaac Newton

As Charlemagne was crowned king on December 25, 800 by Pope Leo the III so the day of Christ's coming will be on Christmas Day, 2060. If the rapture of the saints (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17) occurs seven years before the time of Christ’s coming the date of the rapture 12.25 2053. However… Isaac Newton notes…

“It may end later, but I see no reason for its ending sooner. This I mention not to assert when the time of the end shall be, but to put a stop to the rash conjectures of fancifull men who are frequently predicting the time of the end, & by doing so bring the sacred prophesies into discredit as often as their predictions fail. Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons which God hath put into his own breast." –- Isaac Newton

After predicting his estimation for the end of time, Isaac Newton then humble says, "Christ comes as a thief in the night, & it is not for us to know the times & seasons which God hath put into his own breast."