Are Christians Special?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ever notice how much time and money many Christians spend on dramatizing the Christian experience? It wasn’t just a Christian concert, it was spirit filled! It was so unique that nonChristians could never experience it - nope...nonChristians have never experienced a group event that feels so special! Armed with this mentality, Bible study become pep-rallies for Jesus! Services are filled with shiny lights and caffeine because Christians really now how to have fun with Jesus! It seems a bit short sighted and insecure to me.

In contrast, it seems to me, Jesus and his disciples had a pretty low key life, marked by prayer, traveling and suffering. Real Christianity is much more like a hospital for the spiritually sick, rather than a place for the spiritual elite.....

My point is not dampen our spiritual experience - we can have fun like everyone else because we are just like everyone else! We are not anymore spiritual than the next person; we do not deserve more money because we are blessed; our group experiences are just as rich as everyone else’s.

Jesus called himself, ‘Son of Man’, which means something close to ‘Average Joe’ - he was certainly not into elitism. In fact, he seemed to walk around relating to people rather than selling himself. It is ironic to see Christians nod and agree that Jesus ate with sinners and than continue to feel unique in their experiences, while selling Jesus instead of inviting people to receive the spiritual healthing they desperately need.

AA actually practices a good way of inviting the sick into a hospital - AA does not self promote, it constantly reminds people they are loved within the group, but that they are not terminally unique - that they are in fact, just an average drunk. We could learn from this group.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ever notice how much time and money many Christians spend on dramatizing the Christian experience? It wasn’t just a Christian concert, it was spirit filled! It was so unique that nonChristians could never experience it - nope...nonChristians have never experienced a group event that feels so special! Armed with this mentality, Bible study become pep-rallies for Jesus! Services are filled with shiny lights and caffeine because Christians really now how to have fun with Jesus! It seems a bit short sighted and insecure to me.

In contrast, it seems to me, Jesus and his disciples had a pretty low key life, marked by prayer, traveling and suffering. Real Christianity is much more like a hospital for the spiritually sick, rather than a place for the spiritual elite.....

My point is not dampen our spiritual experience - we can have fun like everyone else because we are just like everyone else! We are not anymore spiritual than the next person; we do not deserve more money because we are blessed; our group experiences are just as rich as everyone else’s.

Jesus called himself, ‘Son of Man’, which means something close to ‘Average Joe’ - he was certainly not into elitism. In fact, he seemed to walk around relating to people rather than selling himself. It is ironic to see Christians nod and agree that Jesus ate with sinners and than continue to feel unique in their experiences, while selling Jesus instead of inviting people to receive the spiritual healthing they desperately need.

AA actually practices a good way of inviting the sick into a hospital - AA does not self promote, it constantly reminds people they are loved within the group, but that they are not terminally unique - that they are in fact, just an average drunk. We could learn from this group.

There are a lot of frauds out there.

Reactions: Nancy

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Are Christians Special?
According to Scripture, Christians are indeed special. There is no getting away from that. And if all would be Christians, then all would be special. There is no respect of persons with God.

But that is all the more reason to imitate the humility of Christ and be servants. He said He came not be be ministered unto (or served) but to minister (meaning to serve others).
As to the Prosperity Gospel, that is total nonsense.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
How do these 'spirit filled' Christians actually live there lives?
Jesus's words by their fruits you will know them, is very true.

How chaste are they?
How generouse towards others?
How humble are they?

What is more important the fun filled christian event or the serious hard work, brain taxing Christian event, ie are they ever seen at a prayer meeting?

Reactions: Nancy

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

There has always existed a marked difference between the disciples and those gatherings that call themselves "Christian."

Christians are not more special...unless you look at what is inside...Christ. Christ is special.

Last edited:
D

Dave L

I sat in with an alcoholic friend at an AA meeting and was impressed at how close to the biblical model for salvation they come. Luther taught that people are not in a position for salvation until they "bottom out" as AA teaches. Having exhausted all of their effort, will and works. And look beyond themselves to God. Trusting in him who actually can save people.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

nice Aspen. "Jesus of Nazareth" would certainly have had a much diff impact on His contemporaries than us, more like "John Doe from the Sticks" or something, ya

Reactions: Nancy and aspen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think it was God Himself who told Moses that His people were special , and no5 as other nations.

Is it not God Himself who makes Christians special...TO HIM!
NOT to themselves , or among them selves, and NOT while among the general public.

The tools and vessels of the tabarnacle (us ) are indeed special to GOD .
We are saved, sanctified ( set apart ). and ready to be used. Just His tools.

Reactions: Nancy and Dave L

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think it was God Himself who told Moses that His people were special , and no5 as other nations.

Is it not God Himself who makes Christians special...TO HIM!
NOT to themselves , or among them selves, and NOT while among the general public.

The tools and vessels of the tabarnacle (us ) are indeed special to GOD .
We are saved, sanctified ( set apart ). and ready to be used. Just His tools.
Sanctified is a good word: set apart.

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:" (1 Peter 2.9)

Reactions: Helen

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the sense of being Super humans, we are not special. In the sense of belonging to Christ, we are special. Special meaning different, unique and not part of the herd.

Reactions: Helen

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Just saw this @aspen ,
Nail on head! Many folks in the mainline Churches today seem to be clones of a sort. Many "praise God's, and "Glory be's", and so forth...these words become meaningless after awhile when used in natural, common language after every sentence!
I don't know, JMO...good post.
In Him Always!!
nancy

Reactions: aspen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There has always existed a marked difference between the disciples and those gatherings that call themselves "Christian."

Christians are not more special...unless you look at what is inside...Christ. Christ is special.

@aspen

Special indeed as well as peculiar and persecuted:

"Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works." Titus 2:13-14

"Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also." John 15:20

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@aspen

Special indeed as well as peculiar and persecuted:

"Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works." Titus 2:13-14

"Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also." John 15:20

Ah yes...reserved for "special" treatment. :eek: