1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Are Christians to forgive everyone or only those who repent?

Discussion in 'Christian Spirituality Forum' started by Soverign Grace, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Soverign Grace

Soverign Grace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The pastor in our bible study remarked that we're called to forgive any offense, yet the following two verses seem to contradict one another and I wondered how others converged the two verses. The one verse does call us to forgive all offenses, yet the verse in Luke calls us to rebuke and seems to make forgiveness conditional upon whether someone repents or not.

Matthew 6:15

“But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”

Luke 17:3

“Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him.”

John Caldwell, bbyrd009 and Nancy like this.
  2. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    My thoughts have been in this very place S.G. So, what to do when they refuse to even take credit for their wrongdoings? Even "The Church" would not hear it...the pastor (my old pastor) said, "you got one minute" as he quickly walked away from me and I cannot walk fast or I'd be on my face...he knows that so now there is hurt as well as anger I am dealing with. Even Christians can be blind to truth. Sad for sure. I have to put it on the back burner to simmer while God works in my own heart because I do not know where else to go or do...so I do ...nothing. Prayers yes, have gotten that far yet, it still pricks.

Soverign Grace likes this.
  3. Truth

Truth Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Matthew 6:15 - refers to people in general
    Luke 17:3 refers to people of the Faith, with understanding! If they do not repent, WE Still forgive!! But the ball is in their Court, and if the offence is serious enough, then we put them out of fellowship. Forgiveness and Love do not Stop.

4. Truth

Truth Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    There is little or no tolerance for taking a stand against wrongdoings, in any assembly these days, I would encourage you to search out a place to fellowship, other than where this took place?
    Remember our Master is Going to Rule with a Rod Of Iron!!!
    So Kiss the Son, least His Anger is Kindled a Little. This Pastor might take Heed to defending his flock!

Nancy and Soverign Grace like this.
  5. Willie T

Willie T Heaven Sent Staff Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I think I have said it before, just as we will find the "God" we look for and expect to see, so will we find verses that say what we want them to say.

6. Episkopos

Episkopos Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    Are we to love only they who love us? Are we not to forgive and love pre-emptively?

Jesus said...forgive them...they know not what they do. Stephen was of the same mind.

7. Enoch111

Enoch111 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    Canada
    Follow the example of Christ and Stephen while they suffered unjustly at the hands of evil men.

8. Prayer Warrior

Prayer Warrior Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Jesus taught us to pray that God will forgive our sins against Him as we forgive the sins others commit against us.

Matthew 6:9-13
    -
    “Pray, then, in this way:
    ‘Our Father who is in heaven,
    Hallowed be Your name.
    ‘Your kingdom come.
    Your will be done,
    On earth as it is in heaven.
    ‘Give us this day our daily bread.
    And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
    ‘And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Philip James likes this.
  9. Jane_Doe22

Jane_Doe22 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Christ is the Judge, not us. We try to conduct ourselves in a disciple-like manner, teaching others to do the same. But Christ is the ultimate Judge of hearts, not us.

10. Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Actually, SG, there is no command to forgive those who are not asking for it. We are commanded to forgive those who ask us to forgive them, yes, but God does not forgive those who do not ask for it, and neither are Christians commanded to. Now, that is NOT to say we hold on to any sort of grudge against anyone, ever. We are commanded to pray for those who curse us, persecute us, use us, insult us, and we are commanded to bless them, as Jesus taught. But when it comes to the act of forgiveness, it is actually an exchange between two people - a reconciling between two people - and that means that both parties have to be involved. If the other person does not want and is not asking for forgiveness, it essentially makes forgiveness impossible, because it is not a one-way street. Forgiveness is an act that requires a conscious and welcome exchange between two people who desire to reconcile with each other.

Hope that helped.

DNB, Nancy and Soverign Grace like this.
  11. stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Eeeww...I don't think that helped...

12. stunnedbygrace

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    You will ask why but I have to go drive right now.

13. Hidden In Him

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    LoL. Well it should have helped : ) I'm guessing you would tell me why it didn't, only you are driving right now.

That's good, because I don't think I could ever "forgive" the sin of texting and driving.

Get it? "Forgive" the...

texting....

and driving... :rolleyes:

Did I ever tell you I sometimes eat too much pizza?

[​IMG]

Nancy and Soverign Grace like this.
  14. stunnedbygrace

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Okay, before I get to work here, if I was to forgive only those who asked for forgiveness, there would be no forgiveness at all, because no one EVER asks me to forgive them. And now, I'm pretty convinced that some counsel I was given the other day is no counsel at all...

Stan B, Nancy and Jane_Doe22 like this.
  15. Waiting on him

Waiting on him Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    The best instruction you’ll receive is in post #7.

16. Hidden In Him

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    That's a little depressing...

Well then let's start from the begining: Do you believe that God forgives everyone of their sins and transgressions, or only those who ask Him to, and wish to reconcile themselves to Him?

17. Hidden In Him

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Keep in mind that we are commanded to walk in a Spirit of love, joy and peace at ALL times, which is why I said a Christian is never to hold on to any grudges or resentments. Whether no one ever asks you to forgive them or not - apparently wishing to stay at odds with you - that's their problem. As the scripture says, "As much as it be with you, be at peace with all men." In other words, no man affects your Spirit. If anyone is going to be affecting anyone else, it will be the other way around, and you will overcome their spirit of resentment with a Spirit of power, love and a sound mind.

18. stunnedbygrace

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    Forgive them, they don't know what they are doing. What does it MEAN??

Stan B likes this.
  19. Hidden In Him

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I'm not sure I understand your statement. Rephrase it for me if you can.

20. stunnedbygrace

Faith:
    Christian
    United States
    I am supposed to forgive people who actually HATE me and treat me awfully. Mind you, I don't say I can, I'm not going to lie. Its highly doubtful that person is going to ask me to forgive them.

Stan B, Nancy and Philip James like this.