Are evil thoughts a sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Chris Tucker

Apr 16, 2021
Chattanooga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever wondered, am I accountable to God for my thoughts? Can thoughts be sins? Can my evil thoughts and imaginations be controlled?

Every genuine Christian struggles with having evil thoughts, and many have felt powerless in tackling them. Whether its thoughts of anger, lust, or deceit, this is a very real issue for us all. Is there a solution in the Bible?

What are your thoughts on this subject?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
am I accountable to God for my thoughts? Can thoughts be sins? Can my evil thoughts and imaginations be controlled?

Just where are you coming from?
What do you mean by evil thoughts and controlling them¿

There are many Christian who suffer from what are ' intrusive thoughts' that is ideas, thoughts, suggestions even commands to say or think something horrible. Often they are blasphemous and it causes considerable distress to those so afflicted.
This is a form of mental illness and well meaning so called spiritual instructions can do far more harm then good.

How do you deal with intrusive thoughts. Simple acknowledge them, say ok, that's right. Then carry on with what one was doing.
Do not debate, argue with or try to suppress or ignore them. That only makes them worse. If they are persistent medication can help one regain control.

Otherwise are our thoughts sinful?

According to the sermon on the mount yesthey can be.
What do we do, first off, try to watch what one is looking at and how one is thinking.

If one fails turn to Jesus for help and forgiveness.

Reactions: Gary Urban

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it has to do with something against the Bible and Ten Commandments then I would definitely say so.

Riverwalker

Apr 20, 2021
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No its what you do with them that determines a sin

Do we entertain the evil thought? If so... it is a sin

We really are like a cake, what you get out of it is what you put into it. If you let evil things in they will come out. The best way to avoid them is to stop letting the garbage in and instead fill yourself with the things of God

Reactions: April_Rose

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just where are you coming from?
What do you mean by evil thoughts and controlling them¿

There are many Christian who suffer from what are ' intrusive thoughts' that is ideas, thoughts, suggestions even commands to say or think something horrible. Often they are blasphemous and it causes considerable distress to those so afflicted.
This is a form of mental illness and well meaning so called spiritual instructions can do far more harm then good.

How do you deal with intrusive thoughts. Simple acknowledge them, say ok, that's right. Then carry on with what one was doing.
Do not debate, argue with or try to suppress or ignore them. That only makes them worse. If they are persistent medication can help one regain control.
Just so.

We can overcome these by faith, but I've found the learning curve is frightful!

Much love!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Have you ever wondered, am I accountable to God for my thoughts? Can thoughts be sins? Can my evil thoughts and imaginations be controlled?

Every genuine Christian struggles with having evil thoughts, and many have felt powerless in tackling them. Whether its thoughts of anger, lust, or deceit, this is a very real issue for us all. Is there a solution in the Bible?

There are thoughts and there are thoughts. Some thoughts are introduced by the evil one and we nurture them.

Catching what is going on is helpful. The demon of lust slides in at every opportunity. When I recognise this is not my heart I call for help and help comes. When I'm slow to recognise that demonic voice I turn the deliciousness over in my mind....I'm taking the bait while at the same time I'm reminded of the track I've embarked on. I choose to call for help or keep the ball rolling..... to my regret.

Sooo, thoughts can be fed from the exterior and they can be fed from the interior. Being aware and instant in prayer and trust will quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Chris Tucker

This is what Jesus Christ said himself about the condition of the heart is like without Him.

“And then he added, “It is what comes from inside that defiles you.

For from within, out of a person’s heart,

come evil thoughts,

sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit,

lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness.

All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you.””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭7:20-23‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Is Jesus Christ telling the truth about the contents of the heart or no?

This is also why we need Jesus Christ and the Fathers help to renew our hearts and minds.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Like you said Chris, we all have them, are they a sin, likely not, but of course acting on them would be.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

There IS a solution in the bible!
Ask for what you lack and wait in trust.
If you are finding your mind is ruled by your sinful nature, an apostle spoke of this when he said he does what he does not want to do. This includes thoughts - of anger (which is to murder) and resentment and revenge. The apostle says its sin in you and hostility toward the Spirit. You can often keep it inside, but that's just trying to hide from others what is in you and keep it from spilling out.

The same apostle says, can you condemn others? How so, if you say, dont murder, and yet you are murdering others in your heart, hiddenly?

God will let you struggle with sin until you see that you are no better than others and perhaps are even worse, since you do hiddenly what they do openly.

Then you will, seeing your poverty, ask for what you lack, and will practice waiting patiently in trust, since it's all done, from start to finish, by trust (faith).

You cannot birth the child that will receive the blessing. You can only wait in trust.

Last edited:
Reactions: TLHKAJ and MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There IS a solution in the bible!
Ask for what you lack and wait in trust.
If you are finding your mind is ruled by your sinful nature, an apostle spoke of this when he said he does what he does not want to do. This includes thoughts - of anger (which is to murder) and resentment and revenge. The apostle says its sin in you and hostility toward the Spirit. You can often keep it inside, but that's just trying to hide from others what is in you and keep it from spilling out.

The same apostle says, can you condemn others? How so, if you say, dont murder, and yet you are murdering others in your heart, hiddenly?

God will let you struggle with sin until you see that you are no better than others and perhaps are even worse, since you do hiddenly what they do openly.

Then you will, seeing your poverty, ask for what you lack, and will practice waiting patiently in trust, since it's all done, from start to finish, by trust (faith).

You cannot birth the child that will receive the blessing. You can only wait in trust.

This is the carnality of our fleshly nature: Our Fleshly nature is naturally inclined to hate anything spiritual - as well as faith itself or even reading the bible (in my best estimation.)

So any thoughts that come to us -> “a person’s heart, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, wickedness, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, and foolishness. All these vile things come from within; they are what defile you.””
‭‭Mark‬ ‭7:20-23‬ ‭NLT‬‬

A person has a choice by their own self will - with-in the flesh naturally are inclined to have the thoughts which come from our hearts according to - Lord Jesus Christ - Himself.

Once you realize your true human nature and what it is capable of - you realize that everyone in the world has the same type of nature -> Which is Fleshly.

All human beings are inclined to have the thoughts that Jesus Christ mentions above.

As stunnedbygrace mentioned there is a way to fix this -> it is to live by the spirit : The spirit doesn't bring forth what comes from our fleshly nature -> The spirit

The spirit brings forth -> Heavenly nature that comes from God, that comes from the Lord Jesus Christ living with in you -> God gives us the holy spirit/ and also the spirit of Christ lives with-in us.

The Fleshly desires are contrary to the spirit.

The flesh wants to have its own way -> Hate, greedy, wicked, deceit, lustful desires, envy, slander, pride, foolishness, murder, theft

contrary to what the spirit wants which desires the ways of God, of Jesus Christ, by the spirit -> Fruits of love: Peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, forbearing, forgiveness, mercy, praying for your enemies, those who persecute you, who despitefully use you, even if they do not understand you - living by the spirit is contrary to the flesh.

So a human being has to make a choice to react with their own self-will and power by the flesh or to make a choice to react by the spirit of Christ - and allow God's will to play out instead of our own fleshly ways.

The flesh and spirit will fight until the day of my death, and your own death. It is a lifetime struggle between the too.

God does help, -> He does help...

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It has not been my experience that fighting to not react outwardly makes any difference at all. I already murdered in my mind and heart whether it proceeded outward or not. Wasnt the apostles point that he could NOT do what he wanted? Wasnt his point that he seemed to have no choice but to do what his sinful nature dictated? Can a leopard change his spots by simply choosing to do so? Life in the Spirit is not the outside of the cup and it is those who see their poverty who will ask for what they lack.

It is true as you say that the flesh and the Spirit will fight until the day of your death. That is why one struggles so hard to give up their life to find it.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It has not been my experience that fighting to not react outwardly makes any difference at all. I already murdered in my mind and heart whether it proceeded outward or not. Wasnt the apostles point that he could NOT do what he wanted? Wasnt his point that he seemed to have no choice but to do what his sinful nature dictated? Can a leopard change his spots by simply choosing to do so? Life in the Spirit is not the outside of the cup and it is those who see their poverty who will ask for what they lack.

It is true as you say that the flesh and the Spirit will fight until the day of your death. That is why one struggles so hard to give up their life to find it.

You are right about the outward appearance ; You can outwardly seem holy - yet inwardly be vicious and hate - murder like you said.

Believe that communion with the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ causes santification.

See here if you read the bible in Colossians 3:

5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.​

Verse 5: if you desire to know about all of these words according to the greek please click here: Colossians 3:5 Greek Text Analysis and click the word under the greek tab and then click on Strongs Greek - Concordance Enteries.

6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming.​

Verse 6: (Children of Israel whom were disobedient - God's wrath coming upon the nation of Israel - in context!!!)

7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived.​

Verse 7: You use to walk in these ways, your earthly nature: until you found the truth about God and the Lord Jesus Christ bring brought out of darkness from your former life, transferred by the Father into the kingdom of His Son - Heavenly Kingdom.

8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.​

You must also rid yourself of these things - anger, rage, malice, slander, filthy language from your lips. (anyone interested in deeper understanding of these words according to the greek language: Colossians 3:8 Greek Text Analysis - Click on the word listed under Greek -> then click on - Strongs Greek - Concordance Entries)

9 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.​

Verse 9-10: Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self - with it's former practices, and have put on the new self which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of it's Creator.

11 Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.​

So basically when we are renewed in knowledge of our new identify yourself in knowing that Christ is with-in you -: You die to your old self in Christ Jesus - and become the new creation that is all coming by and through God, through the spirit - through faith - that is gained by reading the word, and hearing the word that builds up faith in a believer.

These are my own thoughts on the subject based by using the bible and what it says: @stunnedbygrace thank you for your post and may God give the increase to you and your family, and others.

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Believe that communion with the Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ causes santification.

Yes. And keep believing He will do what He said concerning you. Place all your trust and hope in Him, even when you have not yet seen what you hope for and have asked for. And after you have struggled with sin for awhile, He will confirm, strengthen and establish you.

Reactions: MatthewG

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
James 1:1-5, 12-15 (KJV)
1James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
2My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
3Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
4But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
5If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
12Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
13Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:
14But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.
15Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

2 Corinthians 10:3-6 (KJV)
3For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
4(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds)
5Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
6And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Just so.

We can overcome these by faith, but I've found the learning curve is frightful!

Much love!

No, those who are strong minded can overcome by faith.

Those who are suffering mental illness will only suffer more and more as the voices, thoughts etc convince them they have committed the unforgivable sin and are hopelessly lost.

No where in the Bible are Christian forbidden from seeing a doctor or from taking medication.

Would you expect someone with a broken leg to only pray for healing, or can they see a doctor etc.

There is no difference between a broken bone and a broken mind, from a sick body and a sick mind.

May I suggest you search for and read:- 25 tips for successful treating your ocd.
Written by a psychiatrist for his patients.

Encourage those with intrusive thoughts and possible once to read it, to follow it's suggestions and to talk about it with their doctor, therapist etc.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, those who are strong minded can overcome by faith.

Those who are suffering mental illness will only suffer more and more as the voices, thoughts etc convince them they have committed the unforgivable sin and are hopelessly lost.

No where in the Bible are Christian forbidden from seeing a doctor or from taking medication.

Would you expect someone with a broken leg to only pray for healing, or can they see a doctor etc.

There is no difference between a broken bone and a broken mind, from a sick body and a sick mind.

May I suggest you search for and read:- 25 tips for successful treating your ocd.
Written by a psychiatrist for his patients.

Encourage those with intrusive thoughts and possible once to read it, to follow it's suggestions and to talk about it with their doctor, therapist etc.
The message of salvation is for all men.....even those with mental illness. God's spirit does not need human intervention for his spirit to pierce through any disability.

Come to think of it, mental illness is pervasive....just look at what goes down in many of the posts on Christianityboard.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The message of salvation is for all men.....even those with mental illness. God's spirit does not need human intervention for his spirit to pierce through any disability.

Come to think of it, mental illness is pervasive....just look at what goes down in many of the posts on Christianityboard.

God can and does save all types of people.

But he does not routinely heal broken legs or mental illness without the medium of a doctor.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
True, but when Jesus walked the earth though He did

How much comfort does that bring someone who has a broken bone?

How useful is it to tell a depressed person to think positive thoughts and pray?

Just as the person with vivid needs medication etc so someone who is mentally ill also needs medication, therapy etc rather than be told ' just have faith, Jesus will heal you'.